[ 3 / biz / cgl / ck / diy / fa / ic / jp / lit / sci / vr / vt ] [ index / top / reports ] [ become a patron ] [ status ]
2023-11: Warosu is now out of extended maintenance.

/biz/ - Business & Finance

View post   

File: 950 KB, 1000x669, 1409520182584.png [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google]
490184 No.490184 [Reply] [Original]

1. I live in a UK city with a few hundred thousand people in it. Does moving to Silicon Valley / London / New York mean it's suddenly easier to make money or be inspired or whatever? Whenever I go to London I kind of feel in awe of how gigantic and active the place is.

2. I'm a student in my final year. Do you ever look at the "prestigious" jobs and think the whole thing is a hyped up scam? Like many people would consider an Investment banker grad job would be incredible, but it's literally 70 + hours per week of boring work. And if you choose to stay longer than 2 years then it's wading up a shitty pyramid.

Same with these "strategy consulting" jobs. The hours aren't bad, but the main selling point of these is that it's easy to get a high up job at a big company after you do them.

I mean literally what? The only people who could be excited by this are people who unironically believe corporate speak. I mean I'm partly convincing myself of these views because I won't get those jobs, but I really do see how people get quarter life crises.

>> No.490185

It's clear you have already formed biases which you are not willing to let go. You've already talked yourself out of these options. Why would you care what I have to say?

>> No.490186

investment banking is less than minimum wage for most, but offers a chance at being 1%.

It also attracts the kind of people who will work to death and don't value cultural things like travelling or art etc.

Also i'm from London, and there are less jobs, because there are so many people here and looking.

6/10 people in London have a degree

The average male height is 6ft

60% are immigrants/non white, and half of that are the kind of immigrants that have 7phds in maths and are working 8x as hard for half the pay.

Its certainly easier to be inspired in the City though, the wealth everywhere is on display, Every street has millions in cars, and hundreds of millions in homes, 1 in 10 are millionaires in sterling.

Its also that everyone appears to be constantly working, the city never sleeps, so you tend to feel as though you ought to be working too. Even when you're trying to enjoy yourself there are thousands of people nearby commuting etc