[ 3 / biz / cgl / ck / diy / fa / ic / jp / lit / sci / vr / vt ] [ index / top / reports ] [ become a patron ] [ status ]
2023-11: Warosu is now out of extended maintenance.

/biz/ - Business & Finance

View post   

File: 48 KB, 640x364, 274c09f[1].jpg [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google]
466292 No.466292 [Reply] [Original]

This is the interview thread.
Answer sample questions. Ask sample questions for other posters to answer. Grade other posters on their answers to questions. Deride other posters you feel superior to.
If you can't answer the following questions, you will NEVER EVER be employed*

>Why do you want to work in our company?

>What was the toughest task you had to solve in your career so far?

>What is your biggest weakness?

>Give me an example of how one of your strengths has benefited you when working in a team environment.

>Give me an example of a time you failed.

>Tell me about yourself

>Where do you see yourself in five years?

>Give me examples of how well you work under pressure.

>What motivates you?

>What are you most proud of?

>Give me an example of a time you had to work with someone difficult.

*Maybe

>> No.466295

>>466292
If you think there are actually answers to them, then you're doing it wrong. They're just to coax the interviewee to talk about something, anything, so as to get a feel for what they're like and if they'll fit in.

>> No.466301

The interviewer is using that template because they don't know what they're doing. Use that to your great advantage.

>> No.466308

>>466295
>>466292
Emotional intelligence is often evaluated in low pay shitty office cubicle jobs
I find no want for that, go fuck yourself

>> No.466405

>>466295
>>466301
>>466308
Into the trash you go

>> No.466431
File: 102 KB, 241x228, 1383608456981.png [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google]

Will I get autotrashed if I shows signs of nervousness?

>> No.466433

>>466292

>You're walking in a desert and see a tortoise. You flip it over and watch it beating it's legs, its belly baking in the hot sun. If you don't help it, it will die, but you're not helping it. You're not helping. Why is that?

>> No.466438

>>466431
Yes. Lie with confidence.

>> No.466446

>>466433
Because I'm stuck in the middle of a desert and need something to eat

>> No.466465

>>466431
As long as it's not excessive. You're expected to be a little nervous, and any half-decent interviewer will try to put you at ease because they'd much rather evaluate what you're actually capable of.

>> No.466466

>whats your favorite superhero ?

being /co/mrade its one of the toughest for me to answer

>> No.466467

>>466431

I've found that treating the interview like a conversation helps both parties. If you need to think, it's better to be silent for a few seconds and determine what to say than to stammer (Ummm...let me think....hmmm.....).

Nervousness is very common. Just don't let it get in the way of what you need to say.

>> No.466644

This thread didn't take off like I thought it would

>> No.466660

OK, since this board is full of underages, McDonald's workers and neets I will post the first question we ask for quant jobs at my bank. Anyone who tried his hand and has the minimum knowledge at programming besides the "hello world" should have the knowledge to answer this.

>how would you determine if a swap derivative indexed by a fluctuating interest rate is undervalued.

I'm not in front of you so I will give the answer to what should be the first and only question you ask.
>the rate can be adjusted by 25 bps in specific dates (it can go up 25, down 25 or not move) . You don't know when and you don't know how long is the time frame so you must give an answer that can be applied to any number of those two parameters.

>> No.466664

>>466660
you sound like a huge wanker mate

>> No.466666

>>466664
K

>> No.466681

>>466660

>expecting students straight out of school to know all this technical shit

I'm an engineer and when I got hired they just wanted to know I was good at math and that I'm not a sperg. Anyway I think it's pretty unreasonable given how often school curriculum lags far behind industry practices.

>> No.466801

>>466681
The problem is questions that assume prior experience aren't unreasonable so long as someone they're hiring could feasibly know the answer. What they're doing there is weeding out people right out of school, while still making experienced people feel that they could be replaced at any time.

If there was a similar surplus of engineers, I'm guessing you'd have been asked questions only someone in the industry for a year or two could answer.

>> No.467422

>>466660
>Check( Dollar Price( Trade ) >= 0 )

Do I win?

>> No.467551

>had 2 panel interviews for an insurance underwriting position
>did very well, they all basically said I was a top candidate
>phone call the next day asking for references and to fill out stuff for background check
>didn't get the job because I guess they thought I'd leave them after only a year or two

What did I likely do wrong? I'm not overqualified and I thought I showed plenty of enthusiasm for the opportunity.

>> No.467574

>>466801
aspiring engineer checking in. uni, chemical engineering. trying for that oil and gas industry.

exxon, HHHHHNNNNNNGGGGG

>> No.467581

>>466681
>stroling into an interview for a trading postion without knowing what a swap is
It is literally the only thing you need to know besides basic loop logic in programming, which i assume every engineering school in the world teaches.

>>466801
That is the first filter, if you are interested in working in finance the least you can do is learn the most basic and fundamental stuff beforehand. It weeds out the parachuters who think they are entitled to everything and help us see how the canditade reacts with a straight problem put in front of him.
People who answer it right usually do in a 10 - 20 min time frame.

>>467551
Unless you describe what were the questions and what you said there is no way anyone here can know

>> No.467583

At least you can get to an interview

>please list at least 3 references

fuck