[ 3 / biz / cgl / ck / diy / fa / ic / jp / lit / sci / vr / vt ] [ index / top / reports ] [ become a patron ] [ status ]
2023-11: Warosu is now out of extended maintenance.

/biz/ - Business & Finance

View post   

File: 63 KB, 525x388, 1391995243756.png [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google]
46144 No.46144[DELETED]  [Reply] [Original]

What will it take for Facebook to lose the stranglehold on the social media market? Do you see it going the way of MySpace any time in the next decade or is it untouchable for the foreseeable future?

>> No.46170

It is already declining

>> No.46193

>>46170

This.

>> No.46336

>>46170
This. I've seen a few news estimating it has three years of life left, four tops. Apparently UK kids already ditched it.

>> No.46351

>>46336
What have they replaced it with?

>> No.46392

>>46336
yeah, when the parents moved in, the kids ditched it

>> No.46379

>>46351
Whatsapp and Instagram. They can fulfill their attention needs with those, and without their parents mentioning how cute they look on the photos.

>> No.46381

>>46351
a bunch of decentralized services
whatsapp, snapchat, pinterest, instagram, etc

moot's blogpost at the top of the screen kind of talks about this + is accurate

>> No.46745

I think it will decline but parents / old people will use it for at least 15ish more years to come. IMO windows might buy it or it might buy windows and force a Facebook OS or it be built into the OS. (Apple is deader than Steve Jobs in 15 years because hes not there anymore).

>> No.46819

>>46144
>What will it take for Facebook to lose the stranglehold on the social media market
time, also it's making shitty investments already

>> No.46857

>>46379
>>46381
thanks for answer.

I heard FB offered to buy Snapchat for 3 billion and Snapchat turned them down

>> No.46887

>>46745
>or it might buy windows and force a Facebook OS or it be built into the OS. (Apple is deader than Steve Jobs in 15 years because hes not there anymore).
this is the worst post i've read in months

>>46857
it's a risky move. snapchat is really interesting and it's hard to tell where it'll end up a year from now

>> No.46904

>>46857
yes, but it seems to me it's a publicity stun to make investors believe Facebook is even in the position to make an impulse buy of that kind

>> No.46926

It seems like an inevitability that it will fade away, but it's hard to imagine it doing so because where could social networking go from here? Facebook had a larger appeal than MySpace because of its simplicity, but could we really make anything simpler than Facebook with the same level of functionality?

>> No.46985

>>46926
i often try to think of a way to make a better Facebook and though i have some ideas i think are alright, time and time again I come back to the main problem: how to start it? it seems like going from 0 users to 1,000 is harder than going from 1,000 to a million.

>> No.47039

>>46857
>>46887
>>46904
Click that link at the top of the page. Here's what moot had to say about Facebook's attempted acquisition:

>I think the most interesting thing is that they even considered acquiring what is essentially the antithesis of Facebook—an anonymous/pseudonymous and ephemeral community.

>Does that mean that they’re willing to accept/embrace an alternative to Facebook identity, or does it mean that they feel *that* threatened by it that they’d leave their own wheelhouse?

>> No.47052

>>46926
facebook is a byzantine maze of security settings and access rights that are frequently removed from users' hands. the problem with facebook is that it's too complicated to spread information the way you want it, hence the rise of decentralized services with more control

>> No.47081

>>47052
also facebook isn't fun. it's too corporate and serious. HR isn't scoping out instagrams and can't filter through snapchats

>>47039
the google vs facebook approaches are interesting: one looks to buy out auxiliary services while the other looks to buy competitors

i wonder how profitable instagram's been

>> No.47110

>>46926
the same was said of the Chrome browser when it came out, yet it moved on to become an unwieldy beast

also iOS is grossly simplistic and people like it for that very reason, perhaps a site with a lot of free range to generate content and very little options to manage your social activity would stick. People are not into anonymity anymore

Let's say the site or some company like Amazon or Apple comes up with something like this, your cc info or in any case a verifiable way to gather your true information populates the profile and monitors your activity in order to sell ads for the site, and you get small options like turning the service on and off sharing your pictures or shit like that

sounds horrible, but it would do all the "work" for you, I think maybe this is where things will go to

>>47039
He's got a point, but it seems to me he's too caught up in the whole ephemerality concept because 4chan was the first remarkable site to have it. I just don't see Facebook trying to move so much muscle and backing out if it took a competitor so seriously, I reckon it's in a bad cash flow situation and wants to obfuscate, or maybe a few execs wanted to inflate both companies stocks and cash out this year

>> No.47124

>>47081
do you think that a new social media site started from scratch could rival FB if marketed as a trustworthy place (no Zuckerberg stealing info, no cunts from Walmart's HR department going through your photos, etc.) to talk with your friends?

>> No.47173

>>46144
Facebook already has lost with all its ads and privacy issues.

People are just waiting for something new with the same functionality as facebook and less advertising.

>> No.47181

>>47124
well, google plus didn't take because it was the breaking point where people caught up google was fucking them up the ass, also Facebook as a competitor only has to retain users, while the other has to gain their TIME not to enlist since everyone has a gmail account already

but anyways, I think a system that requires you to enter personal information first, or one that incentivizes you to use your proper info (like Linkedin) might do this

>> No.47219

>>47110
the main issue for people is that 1) facebook is a bloated mess and 2) their parents read it

>>47124
privacy-obsessed services can't take off because freetards/tinfoils/peos give them a bad reputation before they can reach the normal people market

it would have to be more of a subtle thing (like how snapchat implies privacy without actually giving it)

there also seems to be an inverse relation between UI and privacy competence

>> No.47267

I think the bet that everybody would do everything at one place is wrong.

Some people like Twitter (I hate it), some people like Instagram (I hate it), some people prefer Snapchat (I hate it), some people like Google+ (that's the one I use), some prefer Pinterest (I don't)

Everybody finds their way in a social network or another.

Every marketer now knows that social marketing is extremely difficult and not just about throwing money at FB. This is worthless.

Adwords remains the one and only platform with easy and high returns, and it will remain that way for the foreseeable future. Social marketing is a weird and quickly changing animal that is hard to understand, but can offer massive returns for the few people who use it correctly.

>> No.47398

>>47124
Yes. It wouldn't be promoted as trustworthy but it can be implied through simplicity of design. No clutter, no chat with time of login, no games or shitty addons that share your details or progress etc.

Although this would be difficult since ad revenue makes so much money of junk like that.

Twitter has the right idea in terms of design, unfortunately it can't get to facebook levels though since there's less emphasis on profiles.

>> No.47594

>>46144
Don't buy the stories about teens ditching it. They still use it a ton, but they're less invested in it, and use it for specific things now.

Facebook could stick around for a long while.

>> No.47595

>>47267
yeah it seems a lot of people just pick one or two sites and stick with them, it's hard to see many people wanting a "one size fits all" FB clone

>> No.47695

>>47594
This.

It's still the primary stalking tool for teens. Everyone at university gets each others facebook before getting phone numbers or any other social media details.

>> No.47913

Everyone loves the Events system on Facebook, so many people use it specifically for that and use another service for everything else. Snapchat, Twitter, etc.

>> No.47956

>>46193
Fuck off Tenshit, you ruin every boasrd you set your fat little manlet feet upon.

>> No.48162

Nobody is leaving Facebook, they're just using it left. People post statuses and comments less, but everyone has the app and opens it up every few minutes and then closes it. If you want to find someone, you search them on Facebook. That's what it's good for. It's huge, it's ubiquitous, it's established. It's not fun or creative or expressive or private or anything. But it has a utility to it. The novelty is gone, but it's basically a phone book.

>> No.50166

>>48162
Phone book with pictures.