[ 3 / biz / cgl / ck / diy / fa / ic / jp / lit / sci / vr / vt ] [ index / top / reports ] [ become a patron ] [ status ]
2023-11: Warosu is now out of extended maintenance.

/biz/ - Business & Finance

View post   

File: 8 KB, 773x481, YouTube-logo-full_color[1].png [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google]
444353 No.444353 [Reply] [Original]

Any of you run a successful channel on YouTube? What's viable, and is monetizing a hassle?

Do you guys think the gamuur niche is oversaturated now, or that there's still a gap somewhere? (Not LetsPlays, of course, those are done to death)

Any of you thought about starting up a channel?

>> No.444804

If you're thinking of starting a gaming (lets play) channel, you better bring something unique to the table. People pretty much have their allegiances (look at the PewDieAssholes). For instance, two of the gaming channels I followed were DavidBrownTV and IAmTheAttack. They were technically gaming channels, but their commentaries were more vlogs/advice. Gopher is another gamer I sometimes watch. He plays games like Fallout and Skyrim but gives the character a "life" (background, personality, etc). It's a refreshing twist.

Monetizing off of things like merch is probably a hassle. You'll need different things depending on what you want to sell (T-shirts will require a printer, mugs/trinkets will require manufactures, etc). Money from ads depends on viewership. I'm sure being a part of a Youtube network (is that what it's called?) like Revision3/Discovery Digital Networks, it's a lot easier (pretty sure they pay you).

If I started a channel, it'd probably be a travel vlog (lel) or how-to channel. How-to/tutorial channels are always a safe bet. They don't always have the largest viewer base, but the viewers are usually dedicated to the channel and willing to help with the cost of newer content.

>> No.444869

>>444804
This.

If I started a channel, I'd probably try to find an intellectual niche - politics, philosophy, history, business/economics, etc. Probably I'd include them all and talk about my own life and give advice to viewers if asked. Shouldn't be really hard if you're semi-intelligent and semi-entertaining. Would probably find a loyal albeit a moderate (10k would be really optimistic) viewerbase.

If you're in it for the money then just don't. There are far more effective ways of making money than trying to become popular on YT.

If you're in it as a hobby/interest/passion, then go for it.

And yes gamer niche is oversaturated.

>> No.444959

>>444869
Yeah, don't do it as a way to get money because it's not gonna happen. People like JennaMarbles didn't get their 13mil subscriber base over night, it took time.

I'd say the only real way to make money off YT was if you were creating a business/company off of it. Sort of like SourceFed (Got lucky and was funded by Google) or RoosterTeeth. But even those took years to get to the level of success they're at. I mean, it's taken RoosterTeeth like 10+ years to finally be able to produce their own full length movie and that was pretty much their original goal when they first started.

Start off as a hobby and just FOCUS on your content, that's the most important thing and is the deciding factor in whether or not you'll be successful. People will be able to tell if you're just doing it for the money so don't try playing it off either.

Do it as a hobby and expecting that you'll make no money from it. If you go in thinking you're going to make money off it, you're not going to succeed. Just do some research, none of the big name YT ever say "Yeah, I know I was gonna be a star" it's always, "Started out as a hobby, and thanks to you guys, I now have this success"

>> No.445596

>>444353
I am thinking of doing comedy channel soon, as a hobby. Even though I think it's 8 years too late.