[ 3 / biz / cgl / ck / diy / fa / ic / jp / lit / sci / vr / vt ] [ index / top / reports ] [ become a patron ] [ status ]
2023-11: Warosu is now out of extended maintenance.

/biz/ - Business & Finance

View post   

File: 17 KB, 400x400, MONEY101-CREDITCARDS-successfulstrategiesformanagingcredit.jpg [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google]
439858 No.439858 [Reply] [Original]

Lets all talk about it all

>> No.439860

>>439858
Credit cards are for plebeians.

>> No.439861

>>439860
do you hate accumulating interest on money that stays in your account or something

>> No.439866

CapitalOne cards have this neat thing of not screwing you for international transactions.

Just go with cards that don't have an annual fee and have decent rewards programs. Amazon's Chase card is pretty sweet.

>>439860
What

Not using credit cards is for plebians, morons who can't keep track of their shit. I've never paid a dime in interest. They also covered the repair for my new phone since most cards have this policy if a recent purchase on your card (last 6 months) gets damaged they'll cover the repairs/replacement.

>> No.439880

>>439866
This. They also have some decent starter cards.

>>439860
Enjoy having a shit FICO score. See what that does to you when you try to by a real asset like a non-jalope car or house.

>> No.439883

>>439880
FICO scores are for plebeians. Banks don't score me, I score them.

>> No.439889

Credit Cards are like knives, you can use them to your advantage or you can cut yourself with them by being irresponsible.

>> No.439898

>>439880
What would be the best starter card to apply for? I am a student with a checking account with Bank of America.

If it's not such a simple answer, then what sort of things do I need to look for and understand?

>>439866
How do you avoid paying interest?

>> No.439902

>>439898
>How do you avoid paying interest?
pay on time.......

>> No.439903
File: 238 KB, 917x720, 1402273631083.jpg [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google]

>>439898
Best starter card depends on your current credit and what you are looking to get out of the card. I have a No Hassle Rewards card but it costs me $20/year. If you have the FICO to get a cost-free card, then you may be better off with that.

If you want to avoid paying interest on your credit cards, pay them off in full each month. Keep mind that doing so will prevent you from getting the main credit score benefit of the cards. Try to leave 5 bux on the card so you build credit.

>>439883
So edge; go be 15 somewhere else.

>> No.439908

>>439903
So pretty much pay everything off on time save for about 5 bucks, which will allow you to build credit while building credit?

I don't understand. I thought the whole idea of building credit was to pay everything you owe, in full, on time.

>> No.439914

>>439908
With credit cards it can be a bit loopy. There are two factors at play: the age of the account, and how much interest you pay.

Your score will go up just for having the card open, but will take a long time for it to have any effect. You will also take a credit score ding if you close the account.

As long as you make more than the minimum payment to the credit card holder, they will be happy. If you run up the card responsibly, this shouldn't be an issue.

>> No.439920
File: 28 KB, 612x109, b of a.jpg [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google]

>>439914
What do you make of this?
source: https://www.bankofamerica.com/credit-cards/education/5-facts-about-credit-cards.go

>> No.439923

>>439903
>>439908
That guy is an idiot, as long as you pay after you get your statement, you'll get the benefits of paying to build credit.

Just don't pay before you get your statement, as in don't buy something then pay for it the next day..

>> No.439928

>>439920
I stand by my original post. You can improve your score eventually with an aged account, but the credit agencies won't give you any real points if you don't carry a little balance.

>> No.439934

>>439928
Don't listen to this idiot..

One again, all you have to do is WAIT to pay your bill until you actually get it. You get a statement balance at the end of the payment period, THIS GETS RECORDED, then you pay it in full.

>> No.440028

>>439928
>>439934

I wonder who started the "you have to pay a little interest to get a higher score" bullshit. I see it quite often.

>> No.440039
File: 33 KB, 213x143, ncb_preferred_cardart_large.png [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google]

$70 annual fee, but you can make that back easily.
ANYTHING at grocery stores is 6% cash back including gift cards, so you can get the full 6% on most anything.

>> No.440048

Actually credit cards are a GREAT deal for consumers if used correctly. I have an Amex with no annual and a small % cash back(which I just apply to my balance at the end of every year) I'm making a free 70-80 dollars a year on it and it is extremely convenient. Like 90% of places accept Amex these days.

Credit cards are a tax on the poor: they drive up costs for everyone(goods are more expensive due to CCs) but only bestow the benefits on cardholders(as cash back, miles, points whatever). The only thing that matters is that you ALWAYS pay your entire bill EVERY month, which is easy w/ automatic payments.

>> No.440137

>>439860
agreed

>If I can pay back all this money then I will be able to get the ability to pay back more money! Then I'll be able to chain myself down to some shitty car and a house in flyover for the rest of my life! I love being a tool!

>> No.440146

Fuck credit cards you kike. Just get the one your local credit union has if you need to.

>> No.441363

>>440137
I don't have anything against NEETs, but at least show some humility.

>> No.441400

>>440048
>Credit cards are a tax on the poor: they drive up costs for everyone(goods are more expensive due to CCs) but only bestow the benefits on cardholders(as cash back, miles, points whatever). The only thing that matters is that you ALWAYS pay your entire bill EVERY month, which is easy w/ automatic payments.

sole reason to have dumb stupid poor people - so their poor financial decisions can benefit the few

>> No.441426

>>440039
>taking the cash back instead of the miles
take a look at this pleb

>> No.441497

>>440039

Nobody accepts Amex though.

>> No.441511

>>441497
u wot

>> No.441513

>>441497
Uh, dude, do you even go outside?

>> No.441520

>>441511
>>441513

Where I live a good third of places don't accept it. It's just a very unusual card, few people have one. Visa or Mastercard is standard.

>> No.441955

>>441363
not a neet I use debit

>> No.442310

>>439860
True. I've never owned a credit card, and I have no debt. Credit cards just encourage you to spend money you don't have, and you pay banker fat cats for the privilege.

>> No.442650

>>442310
But it's a good deal for people who have more self-control than a small child.

>> No.442940

Best credit card company? Hard to pick.
Network - visa for acceptance.
Card issuer - chase due to the number of good co-branded products and big credit lines
Individual cards - depends on what you spend

Doesn't fuck around tier - Amex cards issued by Amex themselves (buy all my really expensive shit on this).

>> No.442980

>>442650
>implying that's any of us

Even so it gets you accustomed to being in debt. I don't care if you get a couple pennies back on every dollar you make that alone makes it a shit product.

>> No.442982

>>442980

>Even so it gets you accustomed to being in debt.

Bro all my shit is on autopay, I'm never in debt..

>> No.443002

>>439858
Best overall: AmEx.

Best general-use card: CapitalOne Quicksilver (1.5% cashback is the best, discounting 'category' spending that's annoying to adhere to.)

>> No.443003

>>439898
Get their Bank Americard. If you don't qualify, get a secured card so that you can start building your credit score/credit history.

>> No.443008

>>441497
>I'm from the 1950s and I'm relevant.

Literally everywhere takes AmEx, aside from small businesses that don't agree to AmEx's exorbitant contracts.

>> No.443045

Hey guys, I'm a poorfag wanting to get to be a richfag and I've been wary of credit cards for a while now, but I'm getting a gift of a couple hundred dollars from my aunt, and I want to pick up a credit card and start accumulating good credit by buying small things and paying them back on time until i can slowly add more and more by saving and scrimping until i'm a juggernaut

should i join a credit union or a bank? does anyone have a good primer on what credit cards are/do?

>> No.443076

>>440039

I'll have to look into this.

I used Citi's Platinum for a while. They do 1% on everything and their customer service hasn't disappointed me yet. Though I had to call them three times once to get me cash back check, but they were apologetic about it. That said, I picked up a Chase Freedom card (both of these are VISA) a few years back, and it's my everyday card. 1% on everything and rotating 5% rewards that I usually take advantage of (especially Amazon.com during Christmas). I'd recommend either of these cards.

>> No.443268

>>442650
How is it
>a good deal
When you have to pay for the price lodge of having a card? How is it good to spend money you don't have? Why is it good to make payments instead of buying things outright?

>> No.443308

>18yo, Norwegian citizen (doing high school in US), no income (except for allowance) and have never had any credit cards.

Can I apply for any of these cards? I would easily (together with my roommates for next semester) max out the $6000 expenditure limit, saving $360 on the AmEx Blue Cash Preferred card. Just as an example.
The cards issued in Norway are fucking useless and has very few (and low) relevant bonuses compared to the US cards.

>> No.443385
File: 11 KB, 300x57, file.png [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google]

>>443268
>When you have to pay for the price lodge of having a card?
What is this I don't even
>How is it good to spend money you don't have?
I don't.
>Why is it good to make payments instead of buying things outright?
Rewards, fraud protection, convenience

>> No.443402

My first credit card was a PNC Visa that I had to basically beg my bank for because I didn't have a credit history. $500 credit limit which was annoying, but had 1.25% cash back and no annual fees.

About a month ago though I found out about a BoA Visa that had 3% cash back on gas, 2% cash back on groceries and 1% on everything else. Not only that, but if you spend $500 using the card in the first 90 days you get a another free 100 dollars as a cash reward. It's pretty dope. The only thing now is that I have two credit cards. They don't have fees but it's less ideal than just having one. My dad has the same credit card he's had since he was 23, and never carried a balance.

>> No.443406

>>439858
Invest your money wisely, never spend money you don't have, and live well below your means.

Just kidding, splurge on everything like a moron; it will make me richer since I'm a Visa and American Express shareholder (personally, I never owned a single credit card in my life).

TL;DR: stupidity is the "most endless" resource in life, it's almost magic and clever people know how to use it.

>> No.443426

>>443385
>When you have to pay for the price lodge of having a card?
*pay for the privilege

>Rewards, fraud protection, convenience
What's more convenient than paying cash?

>> No.443452

>>443426
Carrying cash can be hazardous for you, as well as for your cash.
Moreover, having to count banknotes when paying is a tad long, and having a lot of heavy coins in your pockets afterwards is cumbersome.
Also good luck for paying Amazon with your cash.
That's why I use a debit card (Visa).

>> No.443578

>>439914
>>439920
>>439923
>>439928
>>439934
>>440028

Wait am I doing something wrong?
I've had a secured credit card (first card) from BofA for like the past 6mos and I've been paying exactly the minimum amount either the day before or the day of the due date.

Also how long should I wait until I ask for my deposit back? Will asking hurt me at all?

>> No.443776

>>443578
You're supposed to pay the full (not minimum) amount after you get the statement. Paying the minimum just avoids fees and damage to your credit score, but you still get interest up the ass.

>Also how long should I wait until I ask for my deposit back? Will asking hurt me at all?

https://www.bankofamerica.com/credit-cards/products/secured-credit-card.go

Says here that it graduates to an unsecured card in 12 months, but with no rewards and an annual fee, you should cancel that one and get a rewards card with no fee ASAP. You should be able to, assuming you haven't managed to fuck up your credit in some other way. I got my Discover with no credit history at all, just with a low limit.

>> No.443790

I'm trying to get a decent array of cards with good rewards.

Right now I have:

Amex Blue Cash Erryday: 3% supermarkets, 2% gas, 1% all other
Chase Freedom: 5% rotating, 1% all other
Discover It: 5% rotating, 1% all other
Citi Forward: 5% restaurants and entertainment, 1% all other

Not sure what else I need. I just want even more credit to boost dat score. The only problem I have with the cards now is the interest rate is so fucking high. I pay my balance in full, but what if there's an emergency and I need to actually carry a balance? It's like 20% on the Amex and 17-19 or something for the visas. Discover has 11% though so that's good

>> No.443810

>>443790
That's a good assortment. Cap One Quicksilver (1.5% on everything) is also popular.

>It's like 20% on the Amex and 17-19 or something for the visas. Discover has 11% though so that's good

Dunno how you managed that. My BCE is 15% and my Discover is 20%. Maybe it has to do with the order in which you got them. I've never had my APR lowered automatically; I think you have to call and ask.

>> No.443823

i have a bank of america cash rewards plus visa, i just upped the credit limit to 5k.
it has 1% rewards on everything, 2% on groceries, and 3% on gas. these rewards are multiplied by 25% if you have 25k in a merrill edge acct and 50% if you have 50k in one.

i just got my first rewards, 2.2K spent over 4 months, $43 cash back .

>> No.443824

anyone have any advice on a good credit card I can use to build credit and collect rewards as a grad student with no income?

I am working an internship at the moment and will have around $5000 in the bank by the time my last paycheck comes in, I will be looking for a part time job or RA position in the spring but I'm trying to keep my schedule clear to focus on getting good grades and adapting to the learning curve for the fall. But I'm finally done mooching off my parents (now mooching off the $5k graduation gift my grandparents gave me lel) and would really like to get started building my credit.

If it's some shitty deal where I end up paying more in interest fees than I get from rewards or cash back I'm not interested, I dunno if that's the only thing I'd qualify for. But I certainly don't mind putting down a $500 deposit for the line of credit or something, I don't have enough to invest and am spending most of it this year anyway so I'm getting 1% in my savings account and I'm pretty sure building my credit is worth more than $5.

I also spend very very little money besides what I spend on weed which is obviously cash so I'm not worried about getting in debt.

>> No.443827

>>443824
>If it's some shitty deal where I end up paying more in interest fees
bleh I meant fees not interest, I will be paying off my balance every month I'm not a dumbfuck

>> No.443834

>>443452
>Carrying cash can be hazardous for you, as well as for your cash.
If someone is going to rob you, they are going to take whatever you have.

>Moreover, having to count banknotes when paying is a tad long, and having a lot of heavy coins in your pockets afterwards is cumbersome
Really dude? Counting takes too long? Coins are heavy? That's the basis if your arguement?

>Also good luck for paying Amazon with your cash. That's why I use a debit card (Visa).
I have a debit card, just no credit cards. I only use the debit card for internet purchases, rental cars and securing a hotel room (I pay the bill in cash).

>> No.443845

>>443810

The Discover It is my latest card, so that might be it. My score was pretty high when I got the Amex though and they still gave me a trash-tier APR. Maybe it's because I only have a 4 year history despite the score (760s)

>> No.443868

>>443834
>If someone is going to rob you, they are going to take whatever you have.
I don't give a fuck if someone steals my plastic in my wallet, first place I'm gonna call after the police is the card company and bank to shut my cards down, they have about 15 minutes to spend as much as they want and if they take advantage of it they'll probably just be creating video evidence making them way more likely to get caught.

>Counting takes too long?
Counting takes considerably longer than fucking swiping a card. If counting money takes even 30 seconds longer than swiping every time you make a transaction, that's still hundreds of transactions over the course of the year saving you several hours of time, it's not much but it's not nothing either.
>Coins are heavy?
It's not that they're heavy, it's that they're a huge fucking pain in the ass. I don't want to have to lug around coins and I certainly don't want to count them out every time I make a purchase. My only other option is dumping all my coins in a bank which is a huge hassle or going to a coin machine at a grocery store or some shit and losing 10%. Or just give up a few cents every transaction which adds up to hundreds of dollars each year and is really just stupid.

>I have a debit card, just no credit cards. I only use the debit card for internet purchases, rental cars and securing a hotel room (I pay the bill in cash).
That's great that you are able to function somewhat effectively like that grandpa, but your ideas about being smarter or wiser than other people because you're too old and slow to embrace modern technology that adds convenience to people's everyday lives is some /pol/ tier stupidity.

>> No.444369

>>443810
>not having signed up for the no annual fee 2% cash back priceline rewards visa signature card when it was offered
Awesome deal

I'd sign up for a fidelity Amex (2%) or fidelity visa (1.5%) before I signed up with Crapital one.

>> No.444377

>>439880

If you've ever paid back loans, your FICO score is probably going to be fine whether you have a credit card or not.

>> No.444461

Apologies if this gets asked a lot, but I figured this was the best place to ask.

Do any of you guys have experience with opening accounts and getting cards on your own? I'm heading to college in the fall and will need to open an account, but my parents will not be able to be there to cosign, so I imagine that will make getting a card difficult. If there's any relevence, my dad did get me a Fidelity AmEx card, but its under his account so I'd rather be get my own card and be able to build credit with it.

>> No.444563

Amex Corporate Platinum Master Race reporting in

>tfw no centurion

>> No.444565

>>443868
>That's great that you are able to function somewhat effectively like that grandpa, but your ideas about being smarter or wiser than other people because you're too old and slow to embrace modern technology that adds convenience to people's everyday lives is some /pol/ tier stupidity.
I use modern technology every day! I enjoy the convenience of new technology and I use it whenever I feel it would enhance whatever I'm doing. I'm not some old man sitting in a cabin in the woods. Im not even old. The only thing you know about me is that I have no debt and I do not own any credit cards. Not owning a credit card doesn't make me a Luddite.
Also, calling me an out of touch grandpa while complaining that "coins are heavy"- really dude?

>> No.444572

>From an anon who actually gives credit cards to poor saps.

1.Get your parents or someone who trusts you to list you as an authorized user on their card. This should be someone who actually has GOOD credit, don't get some poor ghetto scum. It'll show up on your credit report with the cards entire history.

What you don't know is that the major credit reporting agencies cannot or don't differentiate between a credit card actually in your name or an authorized user. However you're actually not responsible for any of the debt in an authorized user card and can of course cancel that shit. But remember, a bad authorized user card will hurt your credit.

2. Don't go fucking crazy with inquiries with cards. Too many hard inquires will fuck up your score especially when you're new. If you get a card with a low score DON'T ask for a credit line increase right away. Shit nigger, the bank already gave you that line for a reason. It's a decent chance they'll fuck up and run your credit score again so you get 2x the credit inquires and probably get turned down.

2a. Get one or two UNSECURED credit cards to start. Secured credit cards might get you in the door if you suck, but they don't count as much as unsecured credit cards. They're not really the same thing and credit card companies decide more on the other unsecured cc's you have than shit that isn't a credit card. You should consider leapfrogging your credit than get one big card.

3.Don't go all out and lie about your income. That'll trip the computers up and probably alert the bank to start with, and any answers you give if you talk to a human bean will discredit you. If you want to lie, lie a little and just puff up your income by 10k or so to a believable amount.

4. There are always chances for you to harass a person over the phone if you didn't get the card. What's the harm in talking to a person and plead your case? The worst they'll do is keep you declined.

I can talk about this all day if you want more /biz/

>> No.445070

>>443824
bump