[ 3 / biz / cgl / ck / diy / fa / ic / jp / lit / sci / vr / vt ] [ index / top / reports ] [ become a patron ] [ status ]
2023-11: Warosu is now out of extended maintenance.

/biz/ - Business & Finance

View post   

File: 1.11 MB, 305x239, louie.gif [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google]
436244 No.436244[DELETED]  [Reply] [Original]

So something has been puzzling me and I figured this would be a decent enough place to ask for opinions. If you owned a food related business where something is made from a selection custom from a selection of ingredients what model of pricing is better. In one model you charge the same for each ingredient mixed in and base the price so that the more costly ingredients are subsidized by the cheaper ones. In the second you have prices for each ingredient so that people who wanted less expensive ingredients are paying less, but seeing a listed price for each ingredient may leave customer with he feeling of being nickled and dimed. What are your thoughts /biz/? Pic unrelated.

>> No.436266

Tiered pricing based on specialty level of food product. More specialty ingredients should up the overall base price of the food. I can only draw comparisons to sandwich places, that have maybe three or four tiers of prices.

Or you could go by end weight of the product? Introduce a "$x.xx/100g" pricing structure. I'm sure it wouldn't be that exploitable.

What are you up to?

>> No.436270

>>436266

Was planning to try making customized candy bars made to order. The customer chooses what ingredients (nuts, fruit, types of chocolates). I was trying to figure out the best way to price it.

>> No.436307

>>436244
Make them free and get VC funding.

>> No.436328

>>436244
take it by weight and assign an arbitrary value a little more than the average of the cost of ingredients as the cost of ingredients if you have an employee giving the ingredients. You can also add in money for packaging and stuff like that. Grocery stores make you pay bag fees for most items in the store even if you never use a bag.

>> No.436334

>>436307

VC funding?

>> No.436388

>>436270
Very interesting idea. I'd suggest the "$x.xx/100g" strategy. Look at all the ingredients you're looking to incorporate, assess a relatively profitable median, and go from there. That way, regardless of amount of toppings or which toppings they go with, you'll still manage to make margins.

And yeah. I'm not sure what VC is about.

>> No.436426

>>436244

Have 3 basic models.
Cheap
Mid-Range
Pricey

Within those ranges, have a select amount of toppings they can use. So the cheap one can have say 5 kinds of cheap ones. Mid range can have 3 cheap and 2 expensive. Pricey is get whatever the hell you want.

Pricing them out by individual topping would get really complicated. Having those 3 basic tiers would make life a lot easier on you.

You should also look into making a generic bar or two for each tier for the people that are a bit more undecided. That way they can try something out, then tweak the toppings for their next order

>> No.436443

Overprice it and call it "premium".

>> No.436634
File: 4 KB, 250x140, the queen is their slave.jpg [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google]

>>436307
>Make them free and get VC funding.
>>436334
>>436388

VC = Venture Capital

VC chases anything that might be tomorrow's Facebook, Twitter, AirBnB, etc. Therefore you don't have to make money.

It was a joke.