[ 3 / biz / cgl / ck / diy / fa / ic / jp / lit / sci / vr / vt ] [ index / top / reports ] [ become a patron ] [ status ]
2023-11: Warosu is now out of extended maintenance.

/biz/ - Business & Finance

View post   

File: 35 KB, 490x586, please stop staring.jpg [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google]
426527 No.426527 [Reply] [Original]

Anyone else in their 20's and still financially dependent on their parents? I'm a university student and between studying, classes, extracurriculars and a chronic health problem I don't have time for even a minimum wage job. I'm on track to go to law school but it's going to be at least five years before I'll have my JD - assuming I manage to graduate university and law school. I'm 21 years old and I feel like I'm still a child. I think financial independence is the only time in my life I will ever start feeling like an adult.

>> No.426537

How does Law School work in America? You can't go straight to Law School out of High School? You need a 4 year undergraduate degree first and then Law School only exists as a Masters?

Anyway, what are your extracurriculars? What health issue you have?

Don't worry, most 20 somethings are financially dependant on their parents.

>> No.426564

>>426527
I'm financially independent but prefer to stay home. By that I mean, I pay for all my own shit, and can afford to move out, but I love being home, I get to keep more money, get to see my parents and siblings everyday, it's just better.

>> No.426569

Same. Feels poor man.

>> No.426576

>>426537
I volunteer my time with the astronomy society at my school, and I keep up a hobby of telescope observation. I also attend astronomy seminars regularly. My illness is a pretty bad case of inflammatory bowel disease. I've had it for five years and never been in remission. I'm usually in and out of the bathroom about eight times a day.

>> No.426581

Don't feel too bad.

I'm a senior accounting student and I intern (paid), but I wouldn't be able to make it if my parents didn't help me out...a lot.

I don't think this is anything to feel bad about as long as you're going to school.

>> No.426600

I hear Europians don't have to pay 80k for a college education

What would it take for me to get in on that? Citizenship?

>> No.426615

25 y/o here.

Grew up in midwest (Minnesota and Michigan) Moved out at 18. Never had assistance, never went to college. Mom was a waitress and never met Papa.

Moved out to SF at 18, and to LA at 19. The great recession hit. Wound up being able to earn ~120k/annum around age 22, but the process was incredibly emotionally and mentally painful. Sometimes it feels like I'm the only one actually supporting myself, especially out here in LA, the playground of the trustafarians. It seems the parental support now continues into peoples mid to late thirties.

It is the one big chip on my shoulder, the jealousy that I wouldn't have to give up so much of my life to essentially get to 'square one' of having the security and support that these other adults have (rent/education/travel abroad/healthcare/food covered, ability to take on early internships for little to no money, etc..)

I hope one day I can get over the jealousy. I honestly feel like it would still be there if I was making over 1m+. Not sure.

>> No.426627

>>426615
>i have lots of money but mommy and daddy don't love me
Fuck off

>> No.426630

>>426581
Any tips on getting ahold of an internship?

>> No.426647
File: 75 KB, 669x627, 1382169707045.png [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google]

>>426527

I'm 23 and lost all motivation to even try college.

I realize the coming technological changes that will transform society of how we obtain information. College is a way to prove that you obtained such knowledge, but all that knowledge can also be accessed online instantly.

I also see how robotic automation and AI will begin to strip away most jobs in the coming 10-20 years. Even white collar jobs such as accountants will be taken over by AI really soon. So to me it all seems like a waste to even try because in the end college will throw my ass into debt and be shackled by the banks.

>> No.426663
File: 876 KB, 230x145, 1359717331904.gif [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google]

>>426647
Yours is the most retarded excuse for being lazy I've ever read

>> No.426668

>>426647
You should do a lot more learning if you think AI is going to completely cripple the economy. Something along the lines of getting out there and seeing how things operate?

>>426564
>I'm financially independent but prefer to stay home. By that I mean, I pay for all my own shit
No. Unless you give your parents a proportion of your expenses for food, housing (including taxes, upkeep, etc.), supplies, utilities, etc., you are not "financially independent." You COULD be financially independent, but you're not. And it's a big difference. I might be projecting, though, but I have NEET friends that think their lives that "could be" and my life that "is" are 'totally sameses' or something. And no, you're not. Could is not actuality here, and if you've never been on your own, then you don't realize the multitude of stuff you're still skimming off your parents.

>> No.426675

>>426527
Just turned 20 & working for £3 an hour, I feel like a fucking immigrant. I'm also running the risk of being conned hard

>> No.426679

>>426527
Well if you live in the states, get ready, because the baby boomers are coming for their social security checks. There isn't enough to send them into retirement. Your taxes will easily increase in states that don't already have protection(most blue states already have that protection, and on top of that baby boomers are actually leaving blue states in droves and going to red states where taxes are smaller). Living with parents isn't all bad. I guess for some people the situation sucks.

>> No.426719

>>426600
Well, there is a nigger trick to come over here, but it takes some work:

a) begin/maintain a steady relationship (1 year is fine) with an EU citizen
b) get your EU gf to MOVE to another country within the Union
c) and get her to find work there and pursue it for 5 years minimum. Then you're in the money and you can dump the lady if you wish

Look up 2006/38/CE if you want to know more.
Best of luck anon, free uni is really great over here

>> No.426763

>>426668
Talk about projection.

>i pay for my own shit
>i can afford to move out

He's financially independent and living with his family. Don't push your shit onto other posters.

>> No.426767

I'm 23 and graduated a couple of weeks ago. Feels a bit weird after being financially independent for 5 years and suddenly moving back in with parents and having no income coming in. They're supporting me in this job search phase which is uncomfortable but should only realistically last the summer as I'm confident I'll have something sorted out by September or so. All in all it feels weird but I do feel lucky that I'm able not to worry about finances while I devote 100% of my time to job searching and networking. It's fairly normal here in the UK anyway.

House prices and rent are so insane here in London that all of my peers that have the option are living at home for a few months/year after graduating just to save a bit of money and not throw it all away on rent. Living at home for a year would let me save about £7500-8000 in rent alone, let alone council tax and food.

>> No.427134

>>426630
Go around your town and ask SMEs.

>> No.427167

I'm financially indepedent but I still feel like a child because I've got a face full of bad acne and am still a virgin at 21 lmao

>> No.427170

>>426600

Technically you don't have to, but a lot of us take up loans.

>> No.427192
File: 2.70 MB, 500x281, euphoria.webm [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google]

>>426647

>> No.427195

>>426527
I'm 21 and in engineering school. Know those feels op, can't wait to graduate and finally live independantely.

>> No.427200

>>426767
>normal here in the UK
fucking dairylea kekkables m8

Nah good luck. I graduated 3 years ago and I only managed to work about half of that, and that was in a contract position in central London, and I'm just about to send details off to claim benefits. Just kill me.