[ 3 / biz / cgl / ck / diy / fa / ic / jp / lit / sci / vr / vt ] [ index / top / reports ] [ become a patron ] [ status ]
2023-11: Warosu is now out of extended maintenance.

/biz/ - Business & Finance

View post   

File: 142 KB, 1092x561, big_etsy_logo2.jpg [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google]
419214 No.419214[DELETED]  [Reply] [Original]

I'm in the middle of trying to dispute a paypal claim, and I'm wondering if I have a leg to stand on.

Sunday night at around 11 PM, someone bought something rather expensive from my etsy store. The payment went through around 6 AM on Monday morning, I shipped the item around 9:30 or 10 AM, but because I was on my way to work I didn't get a chance to add the shipping info to my etsy page.

When I got home from work (Monday around 4 PM) I found that the buyer had sent a claim to Paypal, claiming that I was a scammer and that "it shouldn't take this long to send a package".

I gave the buyer (and Paypal) the tracking number for the item and the buyer was very thankful but still hasn't taken down the claim.

1, which one of us is legally "in the right"?
and
2, is this person some kind of scammer or does he honestly believe that I can ship things in the middle of the night or be on my computer for 10+ hours on a weekday?

>> No.419230

>>419214

It doesn't matter, paypal will back him to the hilt, you'll lose the claim.

Don't sell on ebay and etsy, they fuck you on fees, and they fuck you if the guy contests the charge.

>> No.419275

>>419214
Seriously?? Who fucking disputes an item not being shipped the SAME day?

>> No.419280

If the person was this ready to dispute the charge but hasn't taken it down yet, then they were planning to scam you from the word go.

Take it as a lesson son.

>> No.419289

>>419214
You've done nothing wrong, and if PayPal takes your money away, the next step is to ask Etsy to step in.

The buyer is probably a paranoid idiot or a kid -- I had some kid by a Dreamcast off me on Ebay and he sent me an email every couple hours "just to make sure". He was very happy and relieved when he finally got the item -- you may find your buyer is the same way. So as far as interaction with the buyer is concerned, be friendly, helpful, and professional, and this is more likely to be resolved in a satisfactory manner for you.

>> No.419310

>>419289
The buyer is a middle aged guy getting a holiday gift for his kids, and from what he's told me I don't think he's all that computer literate. I found him on facebook to make sure he was a real person, he was. I usually don't look people up but I feel like this situation warranted it.

Should I ask him about the claim (via Etsy) or do you think that would make things worse?

>> No.419329

First of all, OP. If the claim is via PayPal and not Etsy, I'm fairly certain PayPal will back you as long as the tracking confirms it arrived.

As far as I know, the "buyer protection" only applies on eBay, but PayPal independently doesn't give a fuck if there's a rock in the box. Unless Etsy is the moderator on the purchase, I don't think PayPal will side with him.

>> No.419490

>>419310

skip diplomacy, proceed directly to death threats

>> No.419833

>>419310
Eh, then that reminds me of the guy I sold a portable DVD player to (also on eBay). Apparently, he was so clueless he actually thought I was the seller for a different item that he wanted to complain about. I called PayPal and everything, their customer service was not really very helpful, and they basically told me I should wait. Eventually, he got the item, gave me good feedback, and cleared out the complaint.

I can't guarantee your luck will be as good, but I hope so. Just be business-like, answer any questions politely, generally wait for them to contact you. Tracking eventually will show the item was delivered -- 5-7 days after that, if he doesn't cancel the claim or leave good feedback, you should send a brief note making sure he's happy with the purchase, it arrived undamaged, let him know he can return it (if you have a return policy), etc. If he seems satisfied, then you can ask him to clear the claim, or provide it as evidence to PayPal (or again, Etsy if they get involved. I know it's murky). If the guy's just a dick, then I'm sure Etsy will want to know about him, because he will do this again, and Etsy needs to protect their sellers (more than eBay does, I would guess).

Sorry I can't be more help.

>> No.419843

>>419214
What was the item?

>> No.420012

>>419214
Had the same thing happen to me, called paypal support and they sorted me out. You just have to give the tracking info to the rep.

>> No.420529
File: 21 KB, 450x299, 734083762.jpg [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google]

Somewhat related question, and I didn't want to start a thread for it.

I lost my debit card, and called to have it replaced. That takes 7-10 days. In the mean time is there any way I could link up my paypal to my bank account and charge Paypal for things online, without have the new card yet while the old card is voided, or am I stuck waiting?

>> No.420550

>>419214
If the tracking number confirms shipment and you have a receipt for the postage then the buyer doesn't have a leg to stand on.

>> No.420552

>>420529
Yes you can link your bank account to your paypal but I think it takes a couple of days for paypal to verify your bank account as legit.

>> No.420561

>>420552
I've already verified. The problem is that Paypal seems to be asking for a card, which I don't have. I tried using a pre-paid card in a debit's place, hoping it would skip that and pull from my account, but I got an error.

>> No.420611

>>420561
It should just pull the funds straight from the account. I have no CC loaded, only a bank account, and it works fine.

>> No.422093
File: 7 KB, 945x136, Card.png [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google]

>>420611
It's showing me this. Is there no way around it 'till I get my new debit card?

>> No.422108

>>422093
Scratch this, turns out I absolutely have to have a card.

Thanks for the help though.