[ 3 / biz / cgl / ck / diy / fa / ic / jp / lit / sci / vr / vt ] [ index / top / reports ] [ become a patron ] [ status ]
2023-11: Warosu is now out of extended maintenance.

/biz/ - Business & Finance

View post   

File: 222 KB, 837x407, DTvrY.jpg [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google]
395613 No.395613 [Reply] [Original]

"...you dropped 150k on a fucking education you could have gotten for a dollar-fifty in late charges at the public library."

Discuss this. Why go to college? You're not SUPPOSED to go to college to get a job. You're supposed to go to learn something you're interested in, but why bother when you could just read a fucking book?

>> No.395616

>>395613
because no-one will hire you without a degree

>> No.395617

>>395613
Studying electrical engineering at a uni myself and I never go to classes. Just enrolled for the labs and getting a paper that says I did it at the end. Top 5-10% of my year so I'd say it's working out pretty well.

>> No.395618
File: 51 KB, 208x400, letrashman_ad.jpg [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google]

>>395613
>tfw get payed net 11k a year to study economics in college

>could just read a book
>welcome to [insert name of major bank] can i see a diploma?
>no but i read i book once
>into le trash

>> No.395627

>>395616
>hire you

>working for other people

already doing it wrong.

>>welcome to [insert name of major bank] can i see a diploma?
>no but i read i book once
>into le trash

see above

You're already brainwashed if you actually want to work for other people.

>> No.395638
File: 73 KB, 400x285, straight outta compton.jpg [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google]

I'm not from the US so I'm paying around 200 euros a year for my education. So, I'll be paying around 1000 euros altogether for my MSc. I'm studying in the best business school in the country. One of the top 100 in the world too, according to Eduniversal.

A degree is a "guarantee" (notice the quotes) of your skills. It's a proof you've actually done something. Having a degree, undergrad or grad, also opens doors to different jobs in both private and public sector over here.

Also
>networking
>friends
>new experiences
>university resources

So far, I'm enjoying attending a school and getting a degree.

>> No.395642

>>395627
Yeah, let's all be entrepreneurs, to the point there will be no one hire to work for us. Fucking dumbass, you ain't go to be making shit nothing. The only people that live relaxed lives as entrepreneurs are people with a great idea (the 1%), the rest live stressed out, far more than 9-5 jobs without responsabilities.

>> No.395643

>>395642
so.. you're saying that you're stupid?

>> No.395663

>Paying that much for education
Educated yourself.
Start a business with that money.

>> No.395674

>>395613

>"you gave up guaranteed tonnes of money to chase after a 5/10?"

lel

What a dumb view OP. You can gain skills and connections from working in other companies. Who is supposed to think of their big idea by the time they're 18?

>> No.395679

>>395613
You now realise that the product higher education providers sell you isn't the knowledge in your brain but rather the prestige of being associated with them.

The free market just doesn't work for some things, education is one of them (healthcare is another.)

>> No.395690
File: 198 KB, 574x304, jim-rohn-quote.png [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google]

pic related

>> No.395769

No one wants to work for someone else, but unless you already own a business you are a faggot if you don't go to college just because you think you are better than everyone else.

>> No.395781

>>395663
cool have fun getting a $150k line of credit with no experience or collateral

>> No.395787

>>395613

There's a few careers you pretty much have to go to college unless you're some sort of prodigy.

First to mind is medical, you cannot practice without a license and pretty sure you can't have a license without a medical degree. However, you could do it in some shithole country - there's ways around everything.

>> No.395873

>>395679
because government education cartels are anything close to a free market.

>> No.395875

>>395781
Hey pss let me tell you a secret.
Almost all the guys of start up have no idea what they are doing.

>> No.395881

Because companies won't hire you without formal proof that you have adequate knowledge in the relevant field. Simple as that.
Yes, there are NEETs that live with their parents that are twice as competent as a fresh grad. Doesn't matter, it's just not the way it all works, unfortunately.

>Dumbass, don't work for someone else. Start your own business!
This is a very high risk and high effort route. If you failed, you could be stuck in your mid 20's with nothing to show for it.
The more reliable way to go about a career is to take the typical university way. Pick a useful degree, do above average, and you've got yourself a career.

Starting your own business is a lot easier after you've had experience in that industry, anyway.

>> No.395894
File: 75 KB, 251x251, 1403985786468.png [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google]

>>395881
>Start your own business!

nobody in this entire thread has said to start your own business.

>> No.395895

>>395894
You mean, excluding:
>>395627 and >>395663 ?

>> No.395899
File: 42 KB, 256x256, 1403680545427.jpg [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google]

>>395895
Well, I didn't and I'm OP.

>> No.395902

>>395899
But you posted >>395627 , and by saying that "working for other people" is doing it wrong, you are suggesting one to start their own business, correct?

>> No.395907

>>395616
False. Good work and relationships trump a degree every time.

>> No.395916
File: 209 KB, 324x427, 1403756352581.png [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google]

>>395902
>you are suggesting one to start their own business, correct?

you people really think that is the only other thing you can do?

>> No.395936

>>395613
>he thinks education is about education

It's about the piece of paper that certifies you university grade and rated knowledge of a subject.

It also marks a non-pleb, given you got the degree in Europe. American degrees are not exactly the mark of a non-pleb.

>> No.395948

People go to collage not to get educated to get piece of paper. At least that is my purpose

>> No.395956

Because the degree is REQUIRED for certain careers. Taking certain tests, you need the degree to get into the test.

For shit like art, history, and music, a degree is a waste of money. But would you want someone operating on you who didn't go to college? Not just medical.

>>395618
>payed

>can't spell paid

Very educated.

>> No.395958

>>395956
the exemptions of the argument being medicine, of course.

>> No.395961

>>395958
>>395958

Among other majors. You can't just go spouting "hurr durr college is a scam" without specifying that for ~20% of majors, their degree is mandatory for a career.

Now, English/Literature. That's a goddamned waste of money. You can say an English degree is a 100k ticket to being a barista. But you can't say college as a whole is a scam.

>> No.395969

>>395616
Not true, I don't have a degree and I have a quite high paid job as software developer.

I quit my university when I found myself surrounded with morons who could not even code a fizzbuzz, and they were already in the final year. I said fuck it, I already have a good portfolio, and it made it. Currently working on starting up my own company.

>> No.395971

>>395961
>But you can't say college as a whole is a scam.

It is unless you're going into medicine where you need certifications and such. You arguably don't need to go to engineering if you're motivated enough to learn on your own.

>> No.395974

>>395958
I wouldn't want a self-taught engineer to be designing bridges for the roads I drive on. Nor would I want my broker to be self-educated. Or be represented in court by a self-taught lawyer. And when's the last time a self-taught scientist got a Nobel prize?

>> No.395979

>>395613
A) Because college will keep you on a regular pace for learning. If you go to the library and just read books, you'll have a hard time developing a long-term plan on how to achieve the knowledge you seek.

B) You have access to the university library that has original academic research articles and publications, something you can't really find at many public libraries without paying additional fees.

C) You have professors to explain material through lectures and grade your papers/tests to ensure that you have attained the proper level of understanding. This level of understanding is documented on your transcript.

D) You have access to labs and research facilities to get involved in original academic research and apply your understanding of the material.

That's why you go to college.

>> No.395980
File: 10 KB, 255x200, 1401355280109.jpg [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google]

>>395974
Obviously, that's where the ridiculous motivation comes in. What is the magical difference between a motivated self taught engineer and some spoon fed idiot that went to college and learned the same shit that everyone else did? I can guarantee you it's the motivation and passion that the self taught engineer has.

>> No.395993

>>395980
>What qualifications do you have?
>Oh, I read a few engineering books.
>Awesome! You're hired! We'll directly put you to work on the space shuttle.

Not happening in the real world. A degree is also a certificate of guarantee, as in, this institution says this guy has done enough to qualify for this degree.

>> No.395998

>>395613

Because a book won't sign your diploma.

>> No.395999

>>395993
Yeah, but he is self motivated and passionate though.

>> No.396003
File: 519 KB, 124x159, 1401317781950.gif [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google]

>>395993
what is a portfolio? not that I think it genuinely counts as much, but self taught software engineers get hired for bullshit all of the time. You people really think that the only way to prove that you know something is to have a college degree? You don't get hired ANYWAY for anywhere as an engineer even if you have a degree. It's all of the internships and bullshit that you did before you graduated aka that portfolio and experience. degrees mean jack shit. It's what you actually know.

none of this actually matters as it's moronic to work for someone else anyway.

>> No.396040

>>395999

Tell that to the people killed when the bridge falls down.

NO ONE HIRES A HIGH TECHNICAL PROFESSIONAL WITHOUT A DEGREE. This goes for doctors, nurses, medical techs, lawyers, engineers, psychiatrists, teachers, physicists, chemists, biologists, pharmacists, mathematicians, even accountants.

English, art, history, music, and possibly economics are all you can get away with without a degree. Or entrepeneurs who have their own startup capital and can sufficiently persuade clients that they have the necessary skills. (Hint: this isn't you. This is 1% of people who want to run something larger than a local pizza joint.)

>> No.396043

>>395613
BECAUSE MUH IVY LEAGUE
MUH CONNECTIONS
MUH REPUTATION

>> No.396061
File: 57 KB, 625x351, 1402609241777.jpg [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google]

>>396040
>Tell that to the people killed when the bridge falls down.

Could you explain why the bridge would fall down more either way? A college grad engineer read some books, and a self taught engineer also read some books, probably having more passion in the subject and motivation to learn it all by themselves. There isn't some secret college only circle jerk shit that you only learn in college. You learn things by reading books and studying. You don't need to be in college to read books or study something. I'd hire the autodidact 10/10 times over any college sheep that wanted to be in debt because they were too lazy to learn anything themselves and needed to be spoon fed everything.

I understand that companies are big and stupid, and want the safety of some certification so they don't have to worry about anything. This entire thread is about working for yourself, though. A lot of you morons (most likely underage bait just like the rest of this site) like to act like you need to get a job somewhere and work for other people to survive or something.

>> No.396140

Because the American government controls education. They give out almost all student loans in the states and ever since doing so, every job to even being a fast food Manager requires college credentials. They force people to go to college to get even mediocre jobs and are creating a bubble. Look back when the government had no input in student finances. Many finance majors on Wall St were off the street just not long ago. Now you need Ivy League education to work on Wall St. All of the great tech companies were started by college dropouts or people who never even went to college. Now you need a degree just to be a system admin or help desk tech. Student counselors are like used car salesmen. The government insists you to go to college. It's all a manipulated scam.

>> No.396153

>>396061
Your just a theorising bullshitter. I hate people like you. You think just because it would work in THEORY that's how it works in real life. If you were so smart, you'd be a millionaire by now.

Some faggot who reads books won't be tested like the faggots in Uni get tested. Don't you get it?

>> No.396163
File: 18 KB, 244x242, 78777897899.jpg [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google]

>>396153
Testing is all about certifications and such. It doesn't affect whether or not you know something.

> I hate people like you.

>hating people
>getting this mad at someone over the internet
>mfw

>> No.396171

>>396163
Yes, doing that.

You are probably one of the scum that believe in "lifehacks", "pickup artistry", "autopilot passive income" and other bullshit.

Kill yourself. Seriously.

>> No.396173

>>395999
Ah yes, that changes everything. Of course, my bad.
>>396061
Why are you so buttmad about people who went to college? Are you bitter because you're a dropout or something? You're avoiding his points. Anyone can create their own websites and do a little bit of PHP programming, sure. Somehow in your little world you think that is equal to actual software engineering. Are you perhaps that "RAAAHHH WAGE SLAVES MAKE ME SO ANGRY" guy who has been shitting up threads before?
>>396153
I know one guy who thinks he's a genius at physics. He brags about how he read a book about string theory and was discussing it a few days after. He seriously thought he was just as knowledgeable about it as an actual researcher who has studied it for years. That guy is the same.

>> No.396189

thank god I get paid to go to university

>> No.396195
File: 41 KB, 501x499, 45665876756578567.jpg [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google]

>>396173
>Are you perhaps that "RAAAHHH WAGE SLAVES MAKE ME SO ANGRY" guy who has been shitting up threads before?

no idea who that is.

> Anyone can create their own websites and do a little bit of PHP programming

anyone can learn how to program in any language for free. it's not something that you need to go to college for AT ALL.

>You're avoiding his points.

what points? i'll presume you won't answer this being that there aren't any that I didn't already debunk.

>Are you bitter because you're a dropout or something? You're avoiding his points.

how ironic this is and hypocritical you are to try and change the subject.

>>396171
>"lifehacks", "pickup artistry", "autopilot passive income"

no idea what that is.

>Kill yourself. Seriously.

>getting this mad over nothing
>mfw

>thank god I get paid to go to university

that'd be nice to live somewhere for free for four years.

>> No.396197

>>396173
It sounds like him. The same anger, the same vitriol, the same jealousy. And when asked about what he does he denies to answer.

>> No.396205

>>396195
>anyone can learn how to program in any language for free
It's not difficult to learn how to write simple programs. It's a completely different thing to learn actual software engineering, starting from designs, and how to apply them to large scale projects. Your website PHP code won't impress anyone who wants a programmer that can be trusted to program mission critical systems.

>there aren't any that I didn't already debunk
>doctors, nurses, medical techs, lawyers, engineers, psychiatrists, teachers, physicists, chemists, biologists, pharmacists, mathematicians, even accountants
You successfully debunked the myths that any of those need a degree. No wait, you didn't.

>four years
Actually it's pretty normal in many European countries to go for a Master's degree by default, so that's more like 5-6 years.

>> No.396212
File: 52 KB, 696x695, 765567.jpg [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google]

>>396205
>>doctors, nurses, medical techs, lawyers, engineers, psychiatrists, teachers, physicists, chemists, biologists, pharmacists, mathematicians, even accountants

yeah, all of those except for medicine, as I already said, you don't need to go to college for. Read a book. There is nothing that you learn in college that is any different. It just takes longer because of "general education" bullshit work classes and you're in debt.

>Actually it's pretty normal in many European countries to go for a Master's degree by default, so that's more like 5-6 years.

Well then it'd be really damn nice living somewhere for free 5-6 years.

>> No.396214

Oh wow. You are the most retarded person I have seen on 4chan today.

>> No.396215

>>395613

Companies want the paper, but you could easily flip products on ebay, invest in real estate, fix up cars and sell them, etc.

It's just that any blue collar company gives very little opportunity for advancement - there are some dumb motherfuckers in blue collar trades and office managers will assume the same about you unless you have the paper that certifies otherwise.

Same with the MBA, it's fifty grand you spent to assert you do indeed know how to manage.

We have a class system in this country and they're not going to give a manager-level position to someone of a lower class. They want you to prove you have fifty grand lying around to prove it to them

I can't wait for all these stupid boomers to die and for slots to open up.

>> No.396220

>>395643
Yes. I don't have what it takes, at this point in life, to be a good entrepreneur.

>> No.396221 [DELETED] 

>>395980

Except that's fucking wrong. The motivation has to do with the individual, not the fucking form of education they get. The guy who went to college and has the same motivation as the guy who didn't will be more successful because it will give him experience in his field quicker.

Motivation isn't some magical fucking switch that flips on people who avoid college. Yes there are PLENTY of successful people who were bad students or skipped college, but there are way more who went to college first.

Stop trying to justify your shitty life choices by attempting to "enlighten" everyone else that it's the right thing to do. You're like a jehovah's witness but more annoying.

>> No.396223
File: 28 KB, 413x395, 1396094446634.jpg [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google]

>>396214
Give some reasoning to my apparent retardation or don't bother typing empty bullshit.

>> No.396225

>>396221
You have to be more interested and motivated in the subject to self teach anything to yourself. Anyone can go to college and become an engineer when they throw money at a school.

>> No.396227

>>396061
This is plain stupid. I understand your reasoning though. The problem is that one person says they have thoroughly read a book while the other is approved having completed a course.

If that doesn't make sense to you then w/e, it's about the depth of the study and how you learned its applications in the real world.

>> No.396228

>>396225
What the fuck kind of shit schools do you know? Where is this knowledge about getting easy degrees coming from?

>> No.396231

>>396225
>anyone
Except you apparently. Tell everyone what you didn't study and what you do for a living?

>> No.396238 [DELETED] 

>>396225

You apparently didn't read what the fuck I said.

The best engineers are the people that love engineering. Reading it in a book doesn't fucking somehow make you love it more. When motivation is the same, THE OTHER SHIT DOESN'T MATTER. You're somehow pretending that because a bunch of sheeple waste their money at college, that somehow the successful and passionate don't, when in reality the 1% of people who are successful are successful because of their ideas and motivation, not how the fuck they learned about their passion. Usually it involves both. You're framing an argument that everyone who goes to college does the bare minimum to get by and don't care at all about what they're studying.

You're a fucking moron and there's no way you will succeed in the world making such irrational and illogical decisions based on your own idiotic perceptions.

>> No.396242 [DELETED] 

>>396221
>>396238

Rekt

>> No.396247
File: 60 KB, 483x365, 600_1359263847_e44b3b098846d2282eac5ec231e5bb30.jpg [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google]

>>396231
I'm 27 and make ~$400,000 interest a year by having $85,050,095 in secured savings accounts. I was LUCKY in stocks and had a family that basically forced me to learn business because we were poor. So, I read books and didn't go to college. I guess you could say that makes me feel that college is pointless, but I think I have a good point. Who knows though. You can go work for people if you want.

AKA I don't 'make' anything anymore and just read. After six figures, it didn't mean much. It depends on where you live, though. The social aspect of having money ruins any material gain in my opinion.

>> No.396249
File: 464 KB, 1920x1080, citiesxl2012_07.jpg.jpg [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google]

>>395969
anon, I have a question for you.

I have a shitty bash script that alerts me by text / email when a hostname is unresponsive, it lives on my cubieboard (a more powerful raspberry pi). I want to make a pretty web GUI that sits on a LAMP stack hosted by the board but I'm not good with php or working with linux sockets.

What's a good resource for getting other coders to help me build it (I have money put back I could pay them) then put it on kickstarter?
thanks!

>> No.396262

>>395999
>he thinks university is spoon fed

There is no homework for you at university anon. You have to do everything yourself. Only at the exams they will look you in the eyes for the first time, if at all.

>> No.396278

>>395638
Underrated post.

You don't need a degree in accounting to be an accountant. Having a degree just signals that you should have the standard knowledge.

>> No.396284

>>396247

TLDR I didnt go to college and my parents give me money

>> No.396296

>>396284
It's the opposite.

>> No.396389

Thank fuck that I got a government job out of high school so I don't have to ever worry about this degree bullshit. Once you get in the government, time in grade counts more than a college degree in regards to getting promotions and transfers to different agencies.

>> No.396443

>>396061
A degree its proof of learning, as simple as that, if you want to hire an engineer how do you know if he really knows how to do the basics of his job? A degree is the proof, if you hire a person without the degree how can you know if he is not bullshiting you? Consider that you dont know much about the particular job yourself. I mean there are ways to prove this, but its faster and more accurate to just ask for a degree and then for experience.

>> No.396454

>>395613

It really depends.

I started off with a degree in computer science but found work before graduating too quick, too easily. So I dropped out and began working.

It's hard to say whether that was better or worse for the course of my life. I've seen college grads and CS majors etc. taking the same telecom shit jobs I've had before, but also working alongside me with programming positions. How is it that I a non-degree was able to work alongside them?

Talent and the will to build a portfolio of work or a nice enough resume means everything. I was also willing to take jobs like grocery store clerking in order to at least get SOMETHING on my experience / past-work list. You have to be willing to work shit jobs while building your career at the same time, you do have to work a little harder than a degree holder to get jobs, but honestly nothing has stopped me except the sheer number of competitors for each job. I have proven myself time and again to be able to acquire work in good positions without a degree.

It is ALL about the portfolio and resume. I could have done a ton of work for free or while "interning" and built the same thing, but I was actually able to get paid while building my resume. But that was then. This is now. If I were starting out in literally any career post 2010 I would suggest doing work for free, immediately, to build a resume and portfolio that will get you jobs. You will have to fight like a starving dog on the street to get that job, but if you have the right stuff you'll make it.

If you don't have the right stuff - get out of my fucking way.

>> No.396457

>>396454
>I started off with a degree in computer science

*aiming for a degree

See how even subconsciously, I wish I had that fucking degree, because finding work has been tough recently. But still... I've proven - it's possible. The degree really would have just been debt for me...

>> No.396475

>>395979
> Everyone ignores this post and keeps repeating "But you could just learn the material from the local public library!"

>> No.396512

>>396475
also college is important for showing you the things you don't know that you don't know. it's easy to miss things if you just self-guide yourself with books.

>> No.396517

Because graduating from college gives you a credible certificate saying 'this nigga knows his shit', which is more attractive to prospective employers and whatnot than 'trust me dude I've read some books!'.

>> No.396524

>>395613
Not having access to research journals sucks if you want to do research.

Good luck finding those at a public library.

>> No.396525
File: 62 KB, 480x600, son.gif [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google]

>>395613
>mfw i dropped out after the ninth grade and i now make over 80k a year

not that i'm bragging about the amount; my point is that it's entirely possible to have a rewarding job without going to college. the problem is that people think that college is the only thing that matters; it is meaningless for the millions of college graduates who remain certifiably stupid (e.g. your degree in wymyn's studies)

i am a piano and guitar tutor, not at a school but i charge people for private lessons and i do very well for working an average of 20 hours a week.

self-taught, self-employed master race checking in

>> No.396527

>>395875
doesnt change the fact that you cant get a 150k loan

>> No.396530

>>396527
if you have to take out a loan, you're already doing it wrong.

>> No.396536

>>396530
Well then please, tell me how do you get the 150k to start your own business at lets say, 28+ while you have been educating yourself without any degree?

>> No.396546

>>396525
can you post your guitar skills?

>> No.396572

>>395613
How do you prove you "read a fucking book"? What's to keep you from lying?

A college degree is just a piece of paper. It merely represent the fact that you've "read the book", and have been certified as so by a trusted source.

>> No.396585

>>396536
You don't really need that much for the best businesses. You can start a software business for under $10k

>> No.396587

>>396572
This. College degrees are dumb but they're just your entrance ticket into a job, you will have lots of issues finding a job without it and they're never a waste of time or effort, you get paid more for same job if you have a degree, people take you more seriously, etc.

>> No.396597

>>396585
>You can start a software business for under $10k
You can start up a lot of businesses for like $50, doesn't mean you're going to make a profit. Assuming you're doing all the work yourself (only way you can afford a business on $10k), you're taking a huge risk with your time on a business that will most likely fizzle out when the same skills could get you assured payment from a client or employer.

>> No.396606

As long as it is illegal for an employer to administer a general aptitude test in the US, a college degree will have value.

>> No.396615

>>396247

0.4% ROI

Yeah.. you're just baller. Also thanks for letting us know about the $95 dollars. Who the fuck does that? Yeah dawg, I got like $276,349.13 in my account

>> No.396641
File: 973 KB, 320x228, ayy.gif [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google]

This thread probably doesn't really deserve a proper answer, but anyway...

Tertiary education is a net positive for a range of different reasons. The most important is networking, in my opinion. Without the people I met at university I would be completely lost in life, still aimlessly kickin' it with the same underachievers I was close with in high school - nothing wrong with these people, still in close contact, but not on the same road as I am. At university you have the opportunity to engage with hundreds of people with similar ambitions as yours. Priceless experience. In most fields it's difficult to make it on your own, in a lot of circumstances (especially in my field) but thanks to a group of conservatively say, 12 people that I am now intimate with, potentially more if you include casual relationships, I am positive that together we will enter the field successfully - by supporting one another.

The other crucial advantage teritary education has is that it fosters a passion for learning and knowledge. Yes, the most important things you learn will be self-taught, but post high school it's too easy to just sit on auto pilot for the rest of your life, tumbling and stumbling through everything. If it wasn't for university I probably would be reading 10% of what I currently know, and I think would probably know 1% of the practical knowledge I currently carry.

But whatever.

>> No.396656 [DELETED] 

>>396641
ayy lmao

>> No.396667

>>396249
Former free lance developer here (I work for a company now). If you're actually willing to pay there nothing stopping you from putting an ad on just about any job board saying you're looking to hire a programmer to work a small contract. Monster, Craig's List, Linked In, ect all get postings similar to that on a regular basis.

You could also try going to any number of freelancer sites such as e-lance and make a post there saying you want X built with Y technologies in Z time frame.

>> No.396669

>>395613
Because companies won't even allow you through the doors for an interview without the degree.

>In before: hurr, wanting to work for someone else. I dropped out of middle school, started my own business and make $10 million a year.

>> No.396674

>>396667
Oh hey. I want to become a freelancer very soon, what do I need to learn? I've dabbled with python and currently learning C.

Some anons suggest php for freelancing and I plan on looking into that but I was wondering your opinion as a former free lancer.

>> No.396675

>>396669
If you have some relevant experience (including internships, side projects, charity work ect.) you can actually get around this by applying to small or medium sized companies. Most of those don't get flooded with applications for every position so anybody who's not blatantly unqualified usually makes it at least to the phone screening phase.

>> No.396678

>>395690
Multi level marketer detected.
It truly is the perfect business model.

>> No.396681

>>396641
Some people have a passion for learning and knowledge before college.

>> No.396682

>>396674
Honestly it depends. Kinds of technologies do you like working on? What kinds of programs you want to build? Ect. Generally speaking old or hard to master languages will make you the most money but those contracts are harder to find. For instance a COBOL programmer can make a shit ton of money off a contract because nobody knows COBOL so programmers are hard to find. However its a vicious cycle because the reason almost nobody knows COBOL is because hardly any company uses it any more so available work for it is few and far between.

I suggest pick a technology or language you love and just do that. Then look for contracts that need that skill set. Also look up what your skillset is worth on the market so you don't get ripped off by some asshole trying to make you write a large app for $10/hr

>> No.396683

>>396682
Ah ok. I just heard C is kind of useless for freelancing but I think I eventually want to get hired by an AV company and C definitely seems very good since you can code anything in it.

>> No.396686

>>395613

Good Will Hunting is full of stupid shit like this that will keep people living the pleb life.

It doesn't matter how intelligent you are unless you can prove that to others in a readily quantifiable way. If you merely read books to get the knowledge you need then you will have to have done something practical to prove your knowledge, but for many jobs that is simply impossible.

These days college education is for the most part a form of publicly subsidized HR for the largest firms. The only reason to go to college is to play the game and get the bit of paper.

The reality is that the only people that maybe wouldn't need to "drop 150k on a fucking education" can easily afford to do so. This is because of scholarships / their ability to raise funds on their gifts alone.

For everyone else who isn't quite as great as they think they are then yes, you need the bit of paper.

>> No.396692

What do you really LEARN while attending a university, sure you're acquiring this knowledge but the true power of knowledge is not how one attains it but the actual application of it. Also you faggots are talking about testing, all you're doing is compiling a bunch of information to data dump and forget it on a certain date; what the fuck does that prove?

Enjoy spending thousands of dollars you don't have, on something you don't need because someone rose told you that's what you need to be doing with your life. Also enjoy being told you're worth a certain amount for your time, energy, and effort by someone who doesn't give 2 fucks about you; you institutionalized lemming.

>> No.396700

>>396692

>the true power of knowledge is not how one attains it but the actual application of it

Sure, but as pretty much everyone has pointed out in this thread it isn't about gaining knowledge. It is about *proving* knowledge.

Any special snowflake will tell you how they're a genius at X, Y, Z but who gives a shit? I need some sort of quantifiable proof and for many careers that is only possible through completion of a college degree.

The funny thing is that university is becoming so shitty at separating the wheat from the chaff that many organisations now also use their own very elaborate testing systems. For these companies the college degree really only shows that you have been able to commit yourself to doing something shitty for 3-4 years.

>don't need

But you do need it for a lot of jobs. I am not at all interested in a career running some small business.

>Also enjoy being told you're worth a certain amount for your time

No one is told anything really. Everyone, employed and self-employed is earning what they bargained for in the market.

>> No.396715

>>396700
Good point, but I just have a hard time swallowing the fact that people quantify knowledge based on an ability to follow a curriculum, or the ability to perform a task. I guess that's what the work force calls for at the end of the day. Do you believe there are any substitutes that also quantify knowledge?

>Jobs
Why is that the accepted standard, go get a "good" job? Why build someone else's dream when you can build your own?

>No one is told anything
So when a company hires someone for 7.25$ an hour that's not the company determining that individual is worth x amount of money for x amount of time to perform certain tasks?

>> No.396720 [DELETED] 

>>395613
That's retarded. Plus many STEM and Medicine require labs, which your local library does not have.

>> No.396744

>>396686

That may be, but at least I won't be unoriginal.

>> No.396748

>>396715

>Do you believe there are any substitutes that also quantify knowledge?

I think in time many companies will stop caring about degrees. The problem is that the interests of most university programs (attract/retain graduates) is at odds with the interest of the companies.

Thus why we see so many corporations increasing the steps in their recruitment process. I think what we'll see is increased reliance on psychometric testing / internships etc to show that people know what they're doing.

The problem though is that there's no simple/quick test that can be given out to the masses to see whether they are able to hold down doing something for X hours each day. I think we're already approaching a world where companies no longer have faith in the university system to prove someone has X knowledge, but the problem I outlined probably means degrees will be with us for a while longer.

Maybe if telecommuting takes off online degrees will be as valuable as their offline counterparts in this regard? I don't know.

>Why is that the accepted standard, go get a "good" job? Why build someone else's dream when you can build your own?

Business is extremely difficult. I come from a family of people that established their own businesses etc and I've never been under as much pressure as them at their worst.

Of course, in the good times business is great... but for me it's not worth it compared with the stress in tougher times.

>So when a company hires someone for 7.25$ an hour that's not the company determining that individual is worth x amount of money for x amount of time to perform certain tasks?

It's the company determining what amount of compensation will get them the person they want. They make this decision in the context of the market price for such individuals.

>> No.396753

>>396748
>I think in time many companies will stop caring about degrees
Ahahahahaha. What fantasy world do you live in? It's exactly the opposite. More people are getting an education than before and it's going to get more competitive. Are you not even aware that a long time ago just a high school degree was a guarantee to get a well placed job?

>> No.396756

>>396744

Sure, and some people that are "original" do extremely well for themselves.

From my personal experience though the people who have done the best for themselves 10 years out of highschool have been those that have been skilled/talented and walked a very cookie-cutter path.

Of my friends the only people who I think maybe didn't need to go to university are the two guys that started their own software company. They were probably wasting their time at university... but they got some fun out of it I guess. Well, they did meet each other - which helped them I suppose.

Anyone with enough intelligence/skill/knowledge/perseverance can make a great life for themselves so I'd never want to suggest people not to follow the path they believe is right.

I should note that I'm not American. If I was American the potential debt from some of the degrees might change the calculation quite considerably.

>> No.396757

it's not the education it's the price of verifying who has what information and/ skills, in 2014 there is more abundance of information than ever before but tution prices keep raising. that is because economists only know how to work off of the principal of scarcity , i.e. raise prices to deter people from purchasing. but then you get lenders who realize the value of and education who simply over write the economic deterrence and the net result is corroboration where prices and loans keep increasing but the value of the education doesn't fit. i.e. you PAID 150k but the amount of money they spent teaching you was somewhere around 40 thousand and 15% of that 40 thousand was actually used to make the school look good through public events. The administration doesn't know how to reinvest the money because they aren't interested in teaching they are interested in fuck you pay me... it's the American way

>> No.396759

>>395613
>this is what idiots actually believe
You're supposed to go to college so that you can say you went to college.

>> No.396762

>>396753

Yes I am well aware. In fact now we have reached the point where a bachelors degree is no longer worth a thing to most companies - Many want you to have your masters at the very least.

A big part of the reason for all this is that companies are losing faith in the ability of universities to churn out competent graduates. These days a lot of college graduates are incapable of forming coherent sentences, yet they have somehow ended up with a college degree.

The problem is that the interest of the student, the university and the prospective employers are all out of alignment. Students want super-high grades (so we see grade inflation), universities want as many graduates as possible for as low a price as possible (so we see lower teaching and marking standards) but employers want well-trained, capable people... so they request they get the 'harder' post-graduate qualifications.

A further consequence of this is that corporations are having to invest a lot more money in their own hiring processes (psychometric testing, internships, countless interviews) because the universities are failing them, they are not getting the graduates they need.

Now, the death of degrees is probably wrong to call right now simply because I can't think of a better way to test from a massive group of applicants which ones are actually capable of putting in work/effort. At the same time though I think we're starting to see a change, especially from the very top companies, towards a model where what is far more important than your degree is the training/testing the company its self has developed.

>> No.396763

>>396759
there was a time when college was a noble place where learning happened. this was also a time when technology wasn't so advanced that it was nearly impossible to get a nation into trouble by teaching them a method of freeing themselves. now it's 2014 and a young kid could figure out a way to power the whole world for less than a bmw. that fucks with the oil companies and they don't like that. a young kid could figure out how to 3d print a gun and that fucks with the goverments monopoly on violent power. the people who control this planet fear an educated society, that's why there' flouride in the water, the most popular thing to do in college is drink alcohol which makes you stupid and why the truth is suppressed. if the educational system taught at the level of that is real it would be so fascinating that no less than 30% of the population would devote their entire life to science and understanding. In reality we have a situation where people are deterred from educating themselves in fields that matter and our best and brightest are killed off

>> No.396766

>>396759
/thread

>> No.396775

>>396762
Agreed, I would think that these companies would realize the issue at hand and just use the money they're investing on prospecting and recruiting quality employees to fund their own courses and programs that prepare a candidate for the task at hand rather than relying on the education system.

Then I also wonder about subject matter experts vs leaders, sure college can produce subject matter experts that can follow a curriculum any day and can perform a task given at hand and be extremely knowledgeable on a subject, but how many leaders are being churned out. Leaders are born within themselves by a burning drive and desire to.do.great things and to ensure the success of not only themselves but of others for the greater good of their company. That's not something that materializes from go home read x y z the test is on Thursday. How do you churn more leaders into the marketplace?

>> No.396796

>>396681
Apparently not you - seeing as the point flew right over your head.

>> No.396828

>>395936
[Citation Needed]

>> No.396870

Depends on the career.
If you wanna be a lawyer / someone in the medical field / or an engineer of stuff obviously gotta get a degree.

For something like consulting and freelancing all you need to do is marketing, building a portfolio, references and network. But the same could be said about working for someone else too though still gotta do some level of marketing and networking.

>> No.396873

>>396278

CPA reporting with a decade of experience. This post is categorically false.

>> No.396879

>>395875
>Almost all the guys of start up have no idea what they are doing.
Is that why most start up fail and leave the owners in financial ruin?

>> No.396887
File: 39 KB, 647x715, 32433443.jpg [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google]

OP back and you guys derailed this thread a long while ago

>> No.396903

>>396585

>start a software business

AH HA HA HA HA! yeah, great idea. Watch him work for ten years creating software only to have it all taken away by a patent troll.

>> No.396907

>>396278

minimum to take the cpa exam
>bachelors degree
>150 credit hours
>taken a nonprofit/governmental accounting class
>taken an audit class
>taken a tax class

>> No.396914

>mfw I spent $12,000 on my education
>bachelor's in CS

>> No.396918
File: 7 KB, 225x225, cbad7e77-c37f-43e9-b878-bdaf635c9.jpg [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google]

>>396914
>forgot my face

>> No.396924
File: 14 KB, 315x231, 1404390245884.jpg [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google]

>>396914
>tfw there are vast amounts of resources to learn how to code on the internet
>websites literally based on learning how to code
>don't even need to leave your computer chair

good job. :^)

>> No.396938

>>396061
>like to act like you need to get a job somewhere and work for other people to survive or something.

Must be great living in the 1st world and having your parents put a nice financial cushion under your oversized butt for you to land on when your little personal "business project" goes belly up. Not all of us have that luxury though.

>> No.396942

>>396938

actually read the thread >>396247

>> No.396964

>>396924
>implying all your coworkers won't look down you if you don't gave a degree
>more importantly, good luck getting into management

>> No.396968

>>396964
>implying you should give a fuck about what other people think in general

lern2confidence

>> No.397005

Got into Berkeley for PSYCH.. should I even bother...?

>> No.397016

>>395613
>be from an actual democracy
>eduaction is free

>america

>> No.397034

I dropped out of school at 16 and now work full time as an SEO for a finance company with no debts. I seriously feel bad for uni cunts

>> No.397069

>>396762
1) Companies ask for master's degrees because they know that the majority of college graduates have a ~3.0 gpa and spent way too much time drinking and doing drugs in college instead of mastering the basics of the material.

2) I'm guessing the majority of people pontificating that a degree is worthless are in the under 25 year old demographic. Employers don't want to hire you because you lack education; they don't want to hire you because the majority of people in your age group are self-entitled, unreliable cunts who call in drunk every other Friday and quit the second your boss hurts your feelings. This costs the employer an exhorbitant amount of money.

3) Corporations invest a lot in HR because they have to fend off legal suits left and right about fair hiring practices and following EOC laws. It has nothing to do with getting the best candidate. At the end of the day, the boss is going to give the job to a face he knows, not some random resume with spelling/grammar errors and obviously fabricated qualifications.

>> No.397075

>>395613
Also...

> Why go to college

Because it proved to the Navy that I could understand reactor physics, and now I make $126k/year as a nuke officer, plus they're paying for my master's degree because I am good at my job.

>> No.397078

>>396924

AHA HA HA HA HA HA!!!! YOU FUCKERS ARE HILARIOUS.

Interview process:
So what's your experience in programming?
>I spent a lot of time on lern2c0degUd.net
Well it was nice meeting you...

>> No.397080

>>397078
what is a portfolio? the fuck? do you think that you get out of college never doing any projects and then you apply places out of nowhere? underage b8.

>> No.397109

>>397080
You won't even get past HR department with no diploma. Not to mention its hard to build up a good portfolio(although possible) because no one wants someone without a degree when they can just get an indian to do the work for them or someone with a degree...

Not having a college diploma seriously closes a lot of doors for you and it's hard to get your foot in the door, but obviously if you know people you could find a job, get experience and then go from there but that first part is definitely hard and most people wouldn't be able to do

>> No.397136

>>395613

Nobody will hire you without a degree. People look upon you much more fondly if you have a degree. Anyone here know Robert Herjavec? He was the guy on the shark tank/ Dragons Den. Guy is worth over 100 million dollars, has his own company. Anyway, he was at my university and I saw his speech and he said YOU MUST HAVE A DEGREE. When people apply to his company he says he looks through the resume's and he throws away the ones that don't have a degree. He studied English literature FYI.

Just because you read a book doesn't mean you are educated and on the same level as someone who has a degree. Show me a self taught scientist that has won a Nobel prize.

Degree's are important, if you don't have one, into the trash you go.

>> No.397137

>>397109
I don't have a diploma and I work for a successful startup in silicon valley making 100k a year :)

>> No.397143

>>397137
>because I got lucky and/or am very skilled means everyone can do the same and be successful

>> No.397151

>>397137

>Look at me, I lie on the internet!

>> No.397155

>>396968
>Implying it's not important to care what your coworkers and managers think of you.

You must be 14.

>> No.397166

>>397136
This is correct. We only hear about successful people without college degrees so everyone thinks you can become rich and famous without it but we don't hear about the countless people without college degrees who ended up working some minimum wage job for the rest of their lives.

It's same as how you hear about professional videogame players, sure theres a small handful of them who dropped out of highschool and start making big bucks playing videogames but how about all the kids who dropped out of highschool to play videogames and became losers who didn't achieve anything or make any money?

>> No.397169

>>397155
>working for other people

you people are having a hard time remembering how stupid that is.

>> No.397172

>>397169

>Because everyone in the world can start their own business

>> No.397174

>>397172
and you people seem to think that you either work at a company OR start a business. the world isn't that one dimensional you underage b8

>> No.397192

>>397169
>Easily the easiest way to get *guaranteed* income.
>Stupid.

Pick one, NEET.

>>397174
Let me guess. You invested a $1 in the stock market and have a ROI of $10 million in a year, amirite?

>> No.397195

>>397192

see >>396247. I saved up all of my money working two full time jobs for two years and then started investing. LUCK, it is.

>> No.397204

>>396247

You're a dumbass for not having that much money locked up on an ETF that retruns 5% a year

>> No.397206

>>396753
>More people are getting an education than before and it's going to get more competitive.

Yeah, but the boomers are going to die and slots will open up.

>Are you not even aware that a long time ago just a high school degree was a guarantee to get a well placed job?

Again, boomers finding their "dream job" in a classified ad in the 70s.

>> No.397209

>>397204
Whatever you say.

>> No.397213

>>397195

You're full of fucking shit.

>> No.397215

>>397213
You can say whatever you want. It wasn't the point of this thread.

>> No.397221

>>397215

You're pathetic. You just have to know that.

>> No.397223

>>396247

So many millionaires on /biz/, a place where there's no way for them to verify their wealth.

>> No.397225

>>397215
It wasn't. The point of this thread was that you wanted to tell everyone how great you are and how you are rich and smart and have a 9 inch cock.

It's pretty pitiful when you have to resort to getting validation on an anonymous imageboard by pretending to be a somebody while putting down all the people who are more successful than you will ever be.

>> No.397228

>>397034

For every one of you, there are a million ghetto fuck-ups who couldn't hack it in high school and 300 of them apply for every open McDonald's position.

>> No.397233

>>397069
>and quit the second your boss hurts your feelings

LOL companies say they're tired of workers e-mailing the boss about corporate strategy and acting like they're ready to own the place after three years, but the real truth is running a business is piss easy, and there's a shit ton of managers p-laying minesweeper in their office every day.

There's no retirement account anymore, no 401K, no gold watch, and if a company offers you a better job, you fucking take it.

>> No.397234

>>397195
>Didn't go to college.
>Invests in stocks.
>Made $85M.
>Invests that $85M in savings for $400k a year.

Jeez, who would have thought a person of this magnitude would be on /biz/. Well thank you for gracing us for your presence on /biz/, somewhere we are not able to verify any of that. Now, go back and masturbate to My Little Ponie...oh, I mean "invest."

>> No.397235
File: 28 KB, 491x314, 54456456.jpg [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google]

>>397225
There was no validation. Someone asked. You're not allowed to ask for information and then go "wow he needs validation" and put words into peoples mouths. Someone asked so I answered.

>> No.397239

>>397209

What I say is that inflation is going to eat you alive.

I respect you for having or making the money, but maintaining that money is important too.

>> No.397243

>>397034
Not that you aren't some lying scumbag, but let's pretend you actually are what you claim.

For every one of you, there's a thousand dropouts who would be lucky to get a job cleaning the bathrooms at the local Walmart. What is an outlier?

>> No.397248

>>397239
I take money out when I need to. I stopped caring a while ago. I was never a materialistic person so that's why I still have all that I have. I give a lot to my parents and they do whatever they want because they're the ones that made me push myself with it. I plan on donating all of it when I die.

>> No.397251

>>397248

Why do you keep lying?

>> No.397261

>>397251
You can think whatever you want. It's not the point of the thread.

>> No.397265

>>397261

Yes he can and we all think you're just a lying moron. Please stop embarrassing yourself.

>> No.397267

>>397265

>>397261

>> No.397268
File: 24 KB, 275x341, 1404087673618.jpg [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google]

>>395969
This is probably one of the few exceptions where people can get hired without degree.

You somehow managed to get a portfolio probably because you were in college. The fact that you didn't finish your degree didn't mean that it didn't help you.

You think a kid with no degree and no real projects to show off is going to get attention?

>> No.397271

To all the people posting "networking is the best benefit of college", I just want you to know that I hate you all. Stop reminding me that I'm wasting my money, you big meanies.

>> No.397276

>>397271

Well, if you're an anti-social aspie I don't know why you'd go to college anyway. Which employer do you think is interested in you? I mean, there are SOME roles... but you had better be a genius.

>> No.397285

>>397239
It doesn't matter. If you made $100k average for a 40 year career, you'd make $4 million.

He has $85 million, more than enough to live comfortably for 3 lifetimes. The only thing he needs to worry about is capital preservation.

>> No.397309
File: 190 KB, 609x456, 132659865311.png [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google]

>>395971
>claims college is a scam
Yeah maybe in the US of A, but here I know people who get paid to go to college.
>mfw 2 master degrees and left university with 0 debt.

>> No.397316

>>397261
Do you have no shame? Your posts are some of the most cringy posts I've ever seen. Lying about having millions on the internet.

>> No.397319

>>397316

>>397261

>> No.397332

>>397319
So quit continuing to lie while you're behind. Nearly no one wants to see your shitty NEET lies. It's what derailed the thread the most.

>> No.397335

>>397332

>>397261

>> No.397344

>>397309
canadafag here : where are you from?
Because I have ADHD and I know I can get 300$/month grant and a free laptop.

>> No.397441

>>397344
the fuck?? Adhd isnt even a really illness, no wonder our taxes are so high

>> No.397477

Im an astrophysics grad, a very mediocre astro grad too, but I cant begin to list the amount of "self taught" quantum physic genius' Iv encountered throughout my college life. They've read a few books and talk about Schrodinger's cat and think they've the same qualification as me or any other physics grad. These people have 0 idea of the core concepts behind these ideas. They have 0 understanding of the math behind it and make statements that are just plain moronic to try sound clever. Universities do still have a level of academic credibility and as such the curricula the departments design are generally up to scratch. For ever one person that is self taught to a reasonable level, there'll be 1000 morons who think they're self taught and have missed out on basics that are required. Starting your physics education with string theory is fucking pointless if you arent willing to sit through a whole rake of base material thats far less "sexy" or impressive.

>> No.398328

American citizen here I migrated from south america

I'm 21 and I haven't yet to go to college, I like math and science and I'm pretty good at both

So I hear something about STEM basically what would be my chances of actually getting something set for a good life if I went to college to study engineering or something in the medical field? I plan to get a BS because I have my sight set on Officer carreer in the military

>> No.398351

If you plan on working for others as an employee then you need some type of certification to prove your at least competent to graduate college or university. If you plan on starting a business then all you need is the internet.

>> No.398372

>>397166
Thats actually really scary even for the big players. Lets say you start gaming competitively at 16. By your early 20s you should be going to national tournament and if your really good international ones. If you get big you can get hundreds of thousands (at least in MOBAS) but you have to constantly be practicing to keep this up. Meanwhile the older you get the worse your reaction time gets. By the time you get washed our your in your 30s with no skills besides gaming. Game over.

>> No.398720

>>398372
Besides being able to monetize your abilities of course; as would be the case with most young prodigies.

And to use that word, prodigy, many of them "exist" and are not out of common place. When they get older they very well could become consultants "easily". Depends on them.

>> No.398725

>>398328
There's always time to make what you want. It sounds stupid but let me explain. Now, there are mothers in the US working a job, raising a kid and still managing to complete a degree.

I don't mean to compare apples to oranges.

I bring this up as an example to show that it's not impossible to do so and benefit from it even at your age or a later age; and for sure you can mange it. It depends on your motivation.

>> No.398726

>>396606
lol what the army in canada gave me like an iq test.

>> No.398727

I studied marketing and e-business at a local university. I'm making good money now as a web developer, but my degree deserves no credit whatsoever. My starting salary was only $20k! Unless you're going to one of the top schools or studying an engineering discipline, there's absolutely no point in going to college.

>> No.398742

>>398726

You must have done very poorly.

>> No.398794

>>398726
I want to join the Canadian Armed Forces. Any advice or things I should know?

>> No.398800

>>396641
Exactly.

When I was transferring schools to a school that is out of my league, the only reason I got in was because I got a stellar letter of reccomendation from a professor who was a big wig on the NYSE, due to the fact that I made friends with him.

If you think college is purely about education, you're wasting your time in college. Its more about meeting people and learning to work in groups in a professional setting.

>> No.398831

>>398794
if you have to ask some anons online then you probably shouldn't join.

>> No.398835

>>398831
Nah just thought I'd ask some people that were already in it on 4chan so they could give me the cold hard truth instead of some fake stories or some bullshit.

I feel like anons would give you better advice than others because they can say what they truly feel without it being awkward

>> No.398889

>>397228

I'm not sure if to feel better or to never buy fast food again. I think both.

>> No.398898

>>395613
There is no reason to go to school if you aren't actually going to get a job out of it.

>> No.398909

Anyone here follow Scott Young? He did it right. Of course he's actually a well-rounded and intelligent human being unlike most people on 4chan.

>> No.398910

>>398898
>being this narrow-minded.

>> No.398914
File: 58 KB, 497x470, 1403881684663.jpg [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google]

>BSc Psychology
>mostly neuroscience, statistics, some pseudo bullshit too but it is partly social science so you need that tolerance of ambiguity.

>£3200 per year, 3 years: -£10125 tuition 1.5% interest rate or something that means I don't really pay interest,
>£1000 per year non repayable bursary, +£3000 (spent mostly on drugs for my personal "research")
>+£8800 non repayable grant
>-£7500 loaned at same inflation matching rate, non commercial.

If I pay nothing back for 10 or so years I'll have £23k or so debt.

Repayments only start once earning 16k+ and its only 9% of anything over £16k

Debt gets wiped after 30 years.

also could easily work fulltime and still get a 1st/2:1.

Education increases IQ.
Increases job prospects and skills while waiting out the ending phase of the 2008 recession
>80% of graduate jobs don't specify a particular degree in the UK

>> No.398916

also there are a few guys who're making £50k + a year selling drugs at university. The only heat they get is from £8/hour security guards

>> No.398918

>>397228
this lel, and then at mc donalds there are economics and MBA, nuclear physicists working during their studies (I have met all of these working at mc donalds),

so good luck getting a job at mcdonalds over a nuclear physicist when you dropped out at 16

I've met an astrophysicist working min wage, and a chemical engineer with 10+ years working as a barber.

>> No.398920

http://www.researchgate.net/publication/236611824_Investigating_America's_elite_Cognitive_ability_education_and_sex_differences

ABSTRACT Available online xxxx Are the American elite drawn from the cognitive elite? To address this, five groups of America's elite (total N = 2254) were examined: Fortune 500 CEOs, federal judges, billionaires, Senators, and members of the House of Representatives. Within each of these groups, nearly all had attended college with the majority having attended either a highly selective undergraduate institution or graduate school of some kind. High average test scores required for admission to these institutions indicated those who rise to or are selected for these positions are highly filtered for ability. Ability and education level differences were found across various sectors in which the billionaires earned their wealth (e.g., technology vs. fashion and retail); even within billionaires and CEOs wealth was found to be connected to ability and education. Within the Senate and House, Democrats had a higher level of ability and education than Republicans. Females were underrepresented among all groups, but to a lesser degree among federal judges and Democrats and to a larger degree among Republicans and CEOs. America's elite are largely drawn from the intellectually gifted, with many in the top 1% of ability.

>> No.398922

ITT People who have nothing to do and have never attended college screaming "hurr durr college scam.'

You need a degree for major works.
If you have studied in a college and if you are "self made" difference in the resultant work is obvious. Now I do agree there may be some trashy degrees but if you really want to do something well you do it methodically.

A degree is a certificate of authenticity, where it is guaranteed that the person has done the minimum requirement for the course.
IF self made students want to prove themselves they should just take a paper and give the exams, if hey pass in it then great, if they don't then they are worthless.
Compared to self studied people, the people with degrees earn far more.

>inb4 I don't have a college degree and I work at a prestigious company with good money.
Good for you, but your single example doesn't mean everyone who is self taught will have a good degree.
If anything you people are selling the same snake oil to kids and turning them into ruining their lives.

I'm sorry you have not studied in a university and you need to make yourself feel better by making these threads. See you when you are a lazy slob doing nothing while we people with degree complete our studies and enjoy our lives.

oh yea, also read about those "don't work and get rich fast" books. You might enjoy them.

>> No.398925

>>395916
What is the only other thing I can do, anon?

>Inb4 prostitution

>> No.398936

>>398925
>thinks selling your mind is any better than selling your body

If you sell your mind you essentially become a computer, and lose large portions of your life as they're devoted solely to computation.

If you sell your body (getting gangbanged by 15 7.5-9in black dicks) you can just retreat inside of your head and focus on the beauty of life, the people you care about and really enjoy conscious experience.

>> No.398955

I wish I could go back in time to prevent myself from wasting years of my life and money on college. The degree did absolutely nothing, and my start up business was completely unrelated to the field. College is a sham pushed onto everyone, and if you don't go you get ostracized by school/guide counselors/friends. Hell I remember back to high school now with some counselors throwing a fit that they "only" have a 94% enrollment in college from our graduating class.

>> No.398973
File: 14 KB, 318x315, 1403758065811.jpg [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google]

>Good evening mister anonson, may we please see your double major in psychology and chemistry?
>"No, but i like, know all that stuff."
>Yes but can you prove it.
>"I cannot".
>Welcome aboard, anon.

Self educating is important, but proving you're educated is valuable.

>> No.398977
File: 559 KB, 689x486, ohbilly.png [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google]

>>395690

>> No.399008

>>396247
>I inherited my wealth
>"you can go work for people if you want"
>implying most people (including you, if you wouldn't have gotten that inheritance) can run a business
Also, 400k interest on 85mil? That's some really fucking shitty gains, m8.

>secured savings accounts
Confirmed for troll, nobody would be retarded enough to have 85MILLION dollars in a SAVINGS account.

>> No.399009

>>399008
cont.

You didn't make 85mil yourself (as you claimed in a later post) if you are retarded enough to keep it in savings accounts.

>> No.399010

>>398914
>education increases IQ
No, it doesn't, and it's impossible to increase your IQ. You might learn new stuff (gain INTELLECT), but you can't make yourself think "smarter" by studying.

>> No.399083

>>395881
>you could be stuck in your mid 20's with nothing to show for it.
Welcome to my life.

Never picking IT again EVER

hopefully i reincarnate as a sucessful businessman or something

>> No.399103

>>399008
>>399009
You can believe whatever you want.

>> No.399201

>>399010
Yes you can. You can change the way your understand information and use it. Such as playing chess for a long time can increase your IQ because you start to think differently and more mathematically.

>> No.399240

going to college isn't stupid. Dropping 150k is. I attended community for 2 years with financial aid and loans, and will now be going to state school for my bachelors with financial aid and loans. By the time I'm done I will be about 12-15k in debt. Having received a degree from a pretty good school and having lots of connections. After that I may get involved at a more prestigious school. But I'm not laying all my cards on the table right away.

>> No.399275

>>395613

Try being a doctor, lawyer, or engineer without a college degree.

A college degree still matters.

but that is rapidly changing. In 10 years the college degree may be all but irrelevant.

>> No.399283

>>397285
>The only thing he needs to worry about is capital preservation.

But even that he's fucking up on, making shit on his money.

Also probably trolling for keeping $85M in a fucking bank account. Have fun losing everything if that bank goes under.

>> No.399284

>>399275

Depends, companies want a master's now, but if all these boomers retire, there may be a job shortage and they'll take anyone who can do the work.

>> No.399289

>>399284
I think it's absolutely retarded that they want people to have masters. Our entire workforce is going to be people like 25+.. you can get a fucking job at like 16 if you want.

>> No.399407

Thank god there are a few people in here such as >>398922 >>398914 who know their shit. I barely go on biz because it's filled with such clueless people.

I do STEM (not finance/economics related) at a uni ranked 30 - 50 in the UK and 140 - 180 in the world. But because I get near perfect grades at uni and school I get interviews for front office roles in investment banks, Blackrock, IBM Software Engineering* etc. Do you guys think I'd be able to get the finance roles without a degree? LOL. Do you think you can leave education at 16/18 and then progress in to these roles within a few years? LOL (inb4 you tell me you'll be Jordan Belfort).

The funny thing is that even most people from most unis are dumb as fuck. Now picture how fucking dumb you'll look when you're among the school leavers.

As usual, disregard everything I said if you're the next Bill Gates, or have an IQ of at least 140, or have very rich parents with connections.

There are shitloads of Oxbridge/Ivy LEague grads who do "hurrdurr useless dugrees" like English LIterature or history of art and they'll go to great jobs. And no, they're not all rich with connections

*I don't know how to program and they knew that. They gave me the interview because my degree is a certificate saying I'm not a dumbass.

>> No.401005

byump

>> No.401006

>>399103
I am well aware of that.

>> No.401008

>>399407
If your education had nothing to do with software engineering, you're not gonna get offered a software engineer job, sorry. You're lying out of your ass now lmao.

>> No.401161

>>395613
Because college was never about getting an education, it was about social engineering. By getting a degree you proved your family could pay enough, and you could be subservient to authority for long enough. The whole "learning from college" thing came later.

>> No.401169

>>396924
>has science gone too far?

>> No.401176

>>401161
I should add the distinction is very marked between "universities" and technical schools. The technical schools are there to actually teach you something. The universities are there to "mold you in a functional human being blah blah blah". Notice the general education requirements that take up 75% of a bachelor's degree. It's because colleges were founded to "make people into gentlemen" and even though more things have been added on to that over time, you can't change what something fundamentally is.

>> No.401178

>>395979
All of this.
... Unless you're fucking Will Hunting.

>> No.401202

>college is a waste
>don't go to college, get rich fast
>go to college
>degree vs self taught
>no tech school topic
Anything else I'm missing from these dead end arguments? Come on faggots next topic already I'm bored

>> No.401301

>>401176
You are so wrong it's not even funny.

>> No.401359

>>395613
education is free in my country. so fuck u americans

>> No.401363

>>401359
nothing is "free" you fucking goy. You pay for it in taxes. How can things come for free from the sky?

>> No.401373

>>401363
then not going it would be the stupidest thing since you already pay the taxes.

things can come from the wealthy not from the sky. fucking americans will they ever learn about social democracy?

>> No.401378

>>401373
go away faggot, this thread is about the economics of college in superpower countries where it isn't paid for in taxes

>> No.401382

>>401378
lol modern serf getting on all fours for corporate feudal lords.

>> No.401390
File: 28 KB, 401x355, c6D9l.jpg [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google]

>mfw I got a full ride through my BS and I have to go to medical school...
>inb4 hurr durr you don't need to go to medical, school you can just read books to become a doctor

>> No.401424

>>401373
Social democracy is idiotic, if you're rich you have to give away money you worked hard to pay for underprivileged niggers who rather do drugs and beat each other up because they're from different gangs

>> No.401431

So a trade job or college?

>> No.402129

>>401373
lazy money grubbing minority detected

>> No.402144

>>395969

>I quit my university when I found myself surrounded with morons who could not even code a fizzbuzz

It's sad how true this is. There were 4 girls in my SE course out of 100 or so people. All of the girls were there because their boyfriends were in the course. The guys sucked.

>> No.402150

>>395969
>>402144
What the fuck...? These people actually exist?

How can it be possible that so many people can't code a fizzbuzz yet get diplomas? How do they find jobs

>> No.402182

>>402150

>How do they find jobs

They either get a job in an unrelated field or they get lucky and land a job at the bottom in a big corporation where no one will notice how much they suck.

>> No.402196

>>402182
Oh man. It's amazing these people even graduate in such numbers.

>> No.402301

ITT: 9-5ers that didn't go to college bitching about their shitty lives

>> No.402305

>>402301
^this

>> No.402320

>>397223
Its like how everyone on /fit/ is a 6'3" bronzed god with an 8 inch dick and world record holding lifts

>> No.402324

Because a good teacher can tell you when you are wrong, a book can't. Because college is also also about connections and working with people.

>> No.402326

>>395993

more like
>What qualifications do you have
>oh I have a degree, just got out of college and have no work experience
>awsome you're hired, we'll put you to work designing the space shuttle

see it works both ways, an ounce of experience and 'I done that before" is worth a pound of education

>> No.402327

>>402324
>never went to office hours
>never made any connections
>3 years in now
I feel good about myself, t-thanks

>> No.402328

>>396763
http://www.youtube.com/watch?gl=SG&hl=en-GB&v=Qr2bSL5VQgM

>> No.402458

>>398835
Go to /k/

>> No.402533

>>395616
>tfw started working right out of highschool for $20 an hour.
Volunteer hours, faggot.
>tfw job capped at around 30 hours weekly so I couldn't keep doing it, also had to drive a shitload
>tfw NEET master race

>> No.402537

Because reading a book doesn't necessarily entail a complete UNDERSTANDING of that book. People go to lectures so that someone more knowledgeable then them can interpret the reading and help them to understand it. Any autist can read halfway through a book and think he is a master in the subject, if jobs were given out based on how much you've read we'd be completely fucked as a society.

>> No.402538

>>396003
engineer =/= software engineer

>> No.402541

>>396003
also I'll add that major engineering laboratories frequently pull top-of-class fresh engineering majors out of college and give them
very healthy salaries.

Happens around here anyway.

>> No.402574

>>395980
this, I'm listening to 'surely you're joking mr. feynman' by Richard P. Feynman.
>helped create atom bomb
>won nobel Prize , didn't even want the damn thing
>became a theoretical physicist before it was even a thing
>basically self taught

>> No.402578

>>402326
> What qualifications do you have

Well, sir, for my electrical engineering design project, I worked on improving [insert circuit component in space shuttles]. By [doing really neat scientific trick I learned in college], I was able to [make the following improvements]. I think I could further improve the component by [insert follow-on work that could be done]. I look forward to further expanding this work on modern space shuttles and I think I could be a valuable asset to your design team!

You guys don't know how to use your time effectively in college and play the experience you have, that's why you're unemployed.

>> No.402579

>>402578
Additionally, since you did the work at an actual academic institution, you'd be published in a research article with your name on it to prove it to your boss -- a fact that would be on your resume to even get you the interview.

>> No.402854

>>395613
people like college for the social experience
It's also a status symbol (I went to this college and got a degree in blah blah blah)

plus employers will take you more seriously if you have a college degree

>> No.402907

At the company I work for now, the choices are:

Years of menial labor (merchandising) for the 'entry' position (sales)

OR

Years of school for the 'entry' position

So, I can either make shit money with a full time job lifting boxes, and no asset going forward (because it's simply a job; any job could be written on a resume). Or, I can do something different, go into minor debt (public state school, bro, let go of your NYU film school dreams), work a part time job for dosh, and then have an asset moving forward (a degree, which I can't get any way other than years of schooling).

Yes, you CAN work your way towards your goals with handshakes and connections and hard work, but you're investing so much in one company that can and will fire your ass at the drop of a hat (new ownership, financial crisis, restructuring, etc). Where will you be after that happens?