[ 3 / biz / cgl / ck / diy / fa / ic / jp / lit / sci / vr / vt ] [ index / top / reports ] [ become a patron ] [ status ]
2023-11: Warosu is now out of extended maintenance.

/biz/ - Business & Finance

View post   

File: 39 KB, 703x549, majors.png [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google]
394895 No.394895[DELETED]  [Reply] [Original]

What is the best and worst thing to major in? Everyone tells me some sort of engineering is best and liberal arts are worst but what does /biz/ think?

>> No.394896

I think we already have enough of these threads.

>> No.394901

What matters most is that it's an applied field instead of a theoretical field. That means Engineering instead of science, applied math instead of pure math, business instead of liberal arts, design instead of fine arts. A general trend is that the more math a field requires, the more money out tends to make. This is because math takes effort which most people are not capable of.

In summary, the best fields would be the intersection of math and application. Examples are engineering, Computer science, statistics, and finance.

>> No.394921

where u take dat quiz?

>> No.394942

>>394895
Best Major: North Korean Studies
Worst Major: South Korean Studies

>> No.395145
File: 61 KB, 550x423, Screen Shot 2014-07-01 at 5.06.39 PM.png [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google]

i want to work at the goldman sachs

take the quiz at: http://quizfarm.com/quizzes/new/ohiojoshua/what-major-is-right-for-you/

>> No.395149

>>395145

This you

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Lx4poQw1mZo

>> No.395154

>>395149
yes....

thats what i was referring too..........

pls

>> No.395159
File: 71 KB, 393x391, laughing dogs.png [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google]

>>394942

>> No.395849

>>395145
Not sure how to get a nice clean screencap.

Had a five-way-tie, broke it with a leadership thing.
You Scored as HR/BusinessManagement

You should strongly consider majoring (or minoring) in Human Resources Management or Business Management, or related majors (e.g., Entrepreneurship, Hospitality, International Business, Leadership, Public Administration, Industrial-Organizational (I-O) Psychology). <br> <br> It is possible that the best major for you is your 2nd, 3rd, or even 5th listed category, so be sure to consider ALL majors in your OTHER high scoring categories (below). You may score high in a category you didnt think you would--it is possible that a great major for you is something you once dismissed as not for you. The right major for you will be something 1) you love and enjoy and 2) are really great at it. <br> <br> Consider adding a minor or double majoring to make yourself standout and to combine your interests. Excellent minors for HR/Business majors include: Psychology, Sociology, or other areas of business like Economics, Finance, or Marketing. Please post your results in your myspace/blog/journal.

>HR/BusinessManagement 100%
>History/Anthropology/LiberalArts 100%
>Psychology/Sociology 100%
>Education/Counseling 100%
>English/Journalism/Comm 100%
>French/Spanish/OtherLanguage 100%
>Biology/Chemistry/Geology 88%
>Accounting/Finance/Marketing 81%
>PoliticalScience/Philosophy 75%
>Religion/Theology 63%
>Mathematics/Statistics 63%
>Physics/Engineering/Computer 63%
>Nursing/AthleticTraining/Health 56%
>Visual&PerformingArts 38%

This is why I don't take those tests. Even one done in a proper facility left the people head scratching and asking me if I was bullshitting them. >_>

>> No.395876

>>395849
snipping tool

>> No.396012

>>394895

Of all of those on your list only Math/Statistics is worth anything. The rest are trash and useless.

>> No.396045
File: 31 KB, 552x475, major.png [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google]

I want to major in international management and do a double minor in finance and IHRM

however i don't really like maths, neither am I good at it

how retarded am I?

>> No.396078

>>394895
How about:
>Find a market
>develop a skill in that market that generates revenue
>start your own business in the emerging market
>be efficient
>Profit

Let me tell you my story. I started my own small business at the age of 15 and spent a good deal of my time investing in companies and saving the money I had earned. At the age of 20 I dropped out of college and an Engineering program to start my own business in a completely different field. I'm 32 years old now and the current administration considers me wealthy. My company has branched out to 5 different states in the past 6 years. I live a pretty comfortable life. Not everyone has the balls to start their own business nor has what it takes to be successful. But unless you have a large amount of connections to particular industries chances are you are not going to make it past 10 million a year. The only way you can reach autonomy without connections is to start your own business.

>> No.396086

>>396078
>*1 million a year*

>> No.396109

>>394895
Most engineering fields are usually a good choice, and CS is alright (although just going to class and getting a degree is the absolute bare minimum). Many liberal arts degrees are only good for going to graduate school so you can eventually teach the same thing to the new crop of students.

>> No.396119

>>396078
I have a similar story, except I went back for my degree after I was already financially successful, just for fun.

You have to be humble about it though. Every once in a while, irl, people will go on about their "great job" or similar talk about "real degrees" but they get a pretty sober look when they discover that you run your own show and answer to nobody and hire people like them. I kind of feel like Arnold complimenting some scrawny guy at the weight lifting competition. He knows who his daddy is.

>> No.396129

>>396109
that and if you want to be an author. If you want to be a journalist, author, teacher, lawyer, professor, or work for government, than by all means get a liberal arts degree. But all those fields are incredibly competitive and there's a great deal of risk if those things don't work out for you that you'll struggle for employment. Though networking trumps all.

>> No.396132

>>396012
I got a degree in music and now I make more than my roommate who got a degree in statistics, and I have a better job to boot.

>> No.396177
File: 5 KB, 872x449, You&#039;ve equipped the degree item.png [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google]

>>394895
>Treating getting an University Degree as buying a license to be employable with salary *
>Totally ignoring the actual "education" aspect

You're exactly the type of person that shouldn't go to University. Well at least until you grow up, if that ever happens....

Go to University if you want to learn and you are currently unable to do so in any reasonable manner or time frame on your own. After University, you should continue to learn on your own throughout your life on various topics, not just limited to what you studied in school, with the skills you gained during your studies. This is not a meaningless chant said during commencement speeches; this is the whole point of an University education.

When you search for work, you can use what skills you gained from gathering & processing information, unraveling complex/abstract concepts, problem solving, researching, determination with hard work and self discipline, etc etc to ~sell~ yourself better than if you didn't have a degree but you have to remember that you are selling ~yourself~ and not your degree. You can't just expect to walk into an office, point at your degree say you've took so and so courses, and expect to get the job. This is true regardless of whether you've got a STEM degree or Liberal Arts degree or even just an autodidact without a degree.

>> No.396191

>>396012
>physics/engineering/computer
>biology/chemistry/geology
>useless

What a knowledgeable teenager you are.

>> No.396193

>>396132
What do you do and what does he do?