[ 3 / biz / cgl / ck / diy / fa / ic / jp / lit / sci / vr / vt ] [ index / top / reports ] [ become a patron ] [ status ]
2023-11: Warosu is now out of extended maintenance.

/biz/ - Business & Finance

View post   

File: 79 KB, 550x542, 1397433089901.jpg [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google]
394361 No.394361[DELETED]  [Reply] [Original]

I make good money /biz/ but I love to buy shit.

It's not small stupid shit like poor people, I like to buy a new guitar for my collection, a new tech item, trade in my year old car for a new one ect.

I can afford it and I still manage to save some money, but I could be do so much better for my future.

How do I out of consumerism mode and into frugality?

>> No.394364

I dunno, I've been fairly frugal my whole life. Spending money just feels bad.

>> No.394371

Have you read the mrmoneymustache.com blog?

If you learn to be frugal you can permanently retire much younger than most people.

>> No.394373

>>394364
i know this feel. I'm usually stingy as fuck but sometimes I just go and splurge on videogames or spend $100's on random shit that was definitely a waste of money.

>> No.394386

>>394361
Sorry OP but it sounds like you buy stupid shit like a poor person. Maybe instead of buying things you could get a free or low cost hobby to keep you busy. Also read mr money mustache or early retirement extreme.

>> No.394389

>>394361
it seems that you save up for specific items. Why not try to save for a house?

>> No.394392

>>394386
>>394373
Is saving money all about retirement?

Maybe that's why I suck at it, since I don't want to retire.

>> No.394395

>>394392
saving money and money in general is all about what you want to do. Some people want to retire early, some people want to work for longer but drive a lambo and have nice home with frequent vacations, some people like making $20/yr or less but hardly having to work or doing much of anything and are content with a low lifestyle.

>> No.394666

>>394361
Blogs:
Mr. Money Moustache
Early Retirement Extreme

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/The_Compact

>> No.394670

>>394361
Go to an ATM, read your balance, withdraw the value of money you plan on spending and pay in cash as much as you can.

>Psychologically harder to spend cash than it is to type in a pin code.

>> No.394726

>>394670
For some. Personally I burn through cash and am very hesitant on my debit

>> No.394805

Best way is to not have easy access to the money in the first place. Like have the cash you want to save direct deposited into a 401k account or long term savings account that can only be accessed on request with a private wealth manager/fa

>> No.394828
File: 861 KB, 320x206, 1370047726957.gif [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google]

>>394361
>I like to buy a new guitar for my collection
Make a budget and put guitar collection on your budget, follow your budget

>a new tech item
Same budgeting as before, have a tech budget and wrap it all into an entertainment budget. You should follow your budget, but its okay to rearrange your budget as you see fit, just make good, justifiable decisions.

>trade in my year old car for a new one ect.
If you must have a new model car every year consider leasing instead of buying.

You are entitled to buy yourself fun things, just budget your expenses and manage your money in ways that help you meet your goals.

>> No.394838

>>394361

It's more a problem with your personality than the size of your wallet. Takes personal discipline to say no which isn't going to be easy to change about yourself, especially if your peers do the same. It's like seeing the tastiest cake but your told not to eat it.

>> No.394842

>>394361

Couple ways to do this. The one I prefer is to have a savings account at a bank I have to go out of my way with to get the money. Have a portion of your pay direct deposited into it. Say pick a credit union on the other side of town so that you have to drive pretty far to do it, or an Internet bank like Ally or Capital One 360 or even a brokerage.

>> No.394844

>>394361

Do you give a shit about the environment? Well, think of everything that goes into a new item. When you buy anything, you're pretty much commissioning all the steps for it. Paying for the ore and minerals and raw material to be dug up, hauled in. Paying for the oil and water for manufacture, and the disposal of the industrial waste. Paying the factory to design build and run the equipment. Paying the workers, who will probably get injuries or diseases from the factory fumes. Paying truckers to stow and haul the thing, or paying a boat to bring it from China, all the transport to get it to the store, paying someone to stock it, to sell it to you. Then you toss the old one, to go to a landfill for a thousand years. Then your new one joins it a few years later.

I'm serious, I think about this every time. Makes me feel pretty bad. I've used the same mp3 player for like, eight years now. Still works, so why not? It doesn't need to go to a landfill.

>> No.395157

>>394844
Reading that actually makes me want to be more of a consumer, just think of all the livelihoods throughout the product cycle I am helping to sustain.

>> No.395492

>>394361
You have to lose a whole bunch at once to understand how it feels. Y'know, like Brewster's Millions.