[ 3 / biz / cgl / ck / diy / fa / ic / jp / lit / sci / vr / vt ] [ index / top / reports ] [ become a patron ] [ status ]
2023-11: Warosu is now out of extended maintenance.

/biz/ - Business & Finance

View post   

File: 74 KB, 267x288, 73ef030b-1374-4f37-ab06-275e4c2e4.jpg [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google]
391463 No.391463 [Reply] [Original]

I work for Kroger and one of my benefits is that I can have an amount deducted from my pay to buy stock in the company. They also do not charge me a broker fee if I do this. What do you think of Kroger stock? NYSE is KR. Should I get some?

>> No.391466

>>391463
You should have a further benefit to that program, probably a discount to purchasing shares. INTC gives 15% discount on the best price of the first or last day of the purchase period, which is 6 months.

Almost every other company has some sort of good-deal with the ESPP program. If so, it's stupid -not- to use it.

>> No.391471

>>391466
I don't believe there is a discount. I can buy a stock before my taxes are taken out and they waive the broker fee.

>> No.391488

>>391471
First, make sure that there absolutely isn't any discount. Check the employee handbook, or talk with HR about it.

If there isn't, then in investing in Kroger stock you suffer a diversification problem: Not only are you investing in only one stock, but it is the stock for the company that pays your bills. What happens if the business underperforms? You suffer the double-whammy of getting laid off, and watching your stock get cut off at the knees.

>> No.391489

>>391463
Do you get a discount? If so, do it.

Otherwise follow your heart and put money into a roth IRA.

>> No.391956

Well I understand the need for diversification. I wouldn't put all my money into only kroger stock. But I was more wondering about what you guys thought of the kroger stock in general. Is it a good stock? Is it performing well? Over time it is going up and it has a 1.something dividend yield so I think it isn't terrible at least. Is it worth adding to the portfolio?

>> No.391961

>>391463
As some of the other people stated, there should be a discount.

And if there is, absolutely buy stock.

>> No.391968

>>391956
>Past performance is no guarantee for future results.

No, let me say that again:
>Past performance is no guarantee for future results.

I haven't researched Kroger at all. I have no knowledge of it.

Listen, if you think it's worth buying via ESPP because no commissions... nigger, you really need to look around. 10$ commissions on a round trip transaction(buy and sell) on 2000$ is only 1% loss. 10$ is what TD Ameritrade costs. Scott/Etrade costs ~8$. Some places have commission free things(commission free ETF's at TD Ameritrade), and then there's Vanguard.

Do not fucking buy Kroger stock just because one of us niggers on 4 fucking chan tells you it's good.

Don't fucking buy Kroger stock via ESPP just because you're too much of a nigger to pay a trade fee that amounts to like 2-3 Fast Food meals.

>> No.392689

>>391463

only do it if you can get a discount for the stock. also, if you buy it, can you sell it soon for a quick profit?

stock of a company this size is not going to get you rich quickly compared to a smaller company that can double, triple faster. but kroger is unlikely to go bankrupt either.

>> No.392693

>>392689
I could sell it but it probably wouldn't be for a lot of profit. I think I am going to get a few shares, but nothing crazy.

>> No.392764

>>391463

If there's a discount:

1. Buy as much KR as you can
2. Get an account at IB and sell a as many KR futures one onechicago as you can that expire at the same point as your lockup ends
3. Collect free money regardless of where KR ends up

If there's no discount:

1. Stay the fuck away and buy a Vanguard ETF instead

>> No.392777

>>391463
If you get a discount; it might be worth to do the following:

* Set up a Donor Advised Fund. Many brokerages will do this for a minimal fee.
* Buy stock via the ESPP; as soon as you get it, donate it to the DAF

Usually you are blocked from selling the stock for a window after you get it, but the restrictions are not there for donating it.

By donating it, you get to write off the whole value as a donation, not the discounted amount. Its a nice way to amplify the deductible amount of your donations.

>> No.392789

>>391488
This as a risk you really need to consider IMO

>> No.393049
File: 15 KB, 404x273, Jim-Cramer-Is-Predicting-Bank-Runs-In-Spain-And-Italy-And-Financial-Anarchy-Throughout-Europe.jpg [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google]

>>391463
Jim Kramer doesn't like Kroger. So it's probably a good investment.

>> No.393065

>>391463
Unless you're an executive and your performance directly relates to the stock then don't buy it. You're putting too many eggs in one basket.