[ 3 / biz / cgl / ck / diy / fa / ic / jp / lit / sci / vr / vt ] [ index / top / reports ] [ become a patron ] [ status ]
2023-11: Warosu is now out of extended maintenance.

/biz/ - Business & Finance

View post   

File: 1.13 MB, 1000x699, q130986134.jpg [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google]
380422 No.380422[DELETED]  [Reply] [Original]

Old thread passed the limit.
What are your thoughts on EMES?

>> No.380865

It's good

>> No.380896

What do you guys think of AWE.asx

>> No.380905

>>380896
>AWE
>Doesn't pay dividends
>Unable to consistently remain profitable
>Price/book of 1.1
>Price return past year of 50.4% for god knows what reason
>"What do you guys think of AWE"

Not much.

>> No.380907

YHOO is the best next thing.

>> No.380922

Germany's biggest market index DAX again over 10000 points.

>> No.380923
File: 50 KB, 801x375, DAX.png [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google]

>>380922
forgot pic

>> No.380992

Currently holding UA YHOO SIRI. Feels good man

>> No.381000

Going to stick 10k in VWINX, acceptable idea?

>> No.381003

APP up 20% premarket. I got in @ .61 a couple weeks ago (and told the rest of you fucks to get in as well). I haven't decided if I'm going to ride today out and hold, or cash in above $1.00.

Any speculations on where this might go? People have been talking about APP being sold off later this year. Is that good for me? What could this reach by Dec. 2014? I don't want to hold it any longer than that....

>> No.381136

>>381000
>thinks their money will grow
>only 10% interest since 1970

I guess the level of risk the fund offers will suffice.

>> No.381146

>>380422
Where did that one guy who was knocking GMO go?? Guys got so much egg in his fact it's not even funny.

>> No.381263

i want to diversify my investments and am a potential first time stock buyer, i want to invest in PEO petroleum and resource corp. what is the best way to buy the stock? should i just open an etrade account or something like it or is there a better way?

>> No.381267

Got in on the MRKT IPO at $27.05

Wish I heard about it earlier in the day.

>>381263
Ameritrade and Scottrade are both better than etrade. Scottrade has slower commission costs (Ameritrade I believe is $10 a trade, Scottrade $7), Ameritrade is widely used and has good support though, comes with a software platform called thinkorswim too which is good.

Yes, that's basically how you do it, go sign up for online brokerage account.

>> No.381270

>>380907
>>380992
Ever hear of Alibaba?

It's going to drop Yahoo stock further.

>> No.381275

>>381270
isn't yahoo a major stakeholder in alibaba?

>> No.381929

Bought DWA earlier this week after the dip

>> No.381943

What do u guys think of oracle price dip ?
>>381267
Bought MRKT at 26.85
feel good man

>> No.382235

/ES futures going wild

>> No.382239

Holding Twitter until low 40s. Got in 2 weeks ago at 34.

Got in on blackberry before the 11% rise. Waiting for high 9s before dump

>> No.382276
File: 58 KB, 929x506, rsh.png [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google]

radioshack is trading under a dollar for possibly the first time ever

>> No.382303

>>380422
EMES is down a lot today, it's going to be rebounding soon. I happen to be ~98% sure, although I shouldn't explain why. just bought 15 shares

>> No.384139

>>382303
>although I shouldn't explain why
Okay, I'll take the bait.
"Yes, you should."

>> No.385023

>>382239
damn i did exactly the same thing. I'm gonna hold for a while though

>> No.385076

>>382276

You think the rebranding they're doing as "Best Buy-lite" is going to work for them?

>> No.385112

>>385076
Hell fucking no, their market niche died with the advent of the internet. The people that buy electronic components or neat little gizmos do it online these days because you've got a vastly wider selection. The rest of their shit is stuff you can find at home depot, or as you said best buy, but with a much wider selection.

>> No.385126

Buy mutual funds or ETFs and get a second job.

Fuck day trading

>> No.385136

>>385112

They could re-reinvent themselves as a skill center. Shit, if they cleaned out the useless junk and made floor space for tables and computer plug-ins, they could teach like basic coding or circuitry

>> No.385185

>>385112
I got quicksilver and radioshack put options the day before each of their eps reports just on intuition. Surfer/skateboarding brand clothing isn't cool anymore, and radioshacks rebrand wasn't going to cut it. These kind of trades are my favorite.

>> No.385209

>>385185

As an aside, how dangerous are options trading, really? Everybody I've ever spoken to among my family and friends tell me it's a deathtrap, but they've been wrong about every other financial trap I've ever asked them about, so I figure I'd better ask 4chan.

>> No.385216

>>385126
this. You're far better off having someone else manage your investments while you live your life and earn more

>> No.385440

AMD moves like a pennystock

>> No.385444

>>385440
Pump & Dump

>> No.385474

>>385209
Buying puts and calls is safe as hell with the exception that the put and call you bought can be worthless, so the safest move is to buy in-the-money options.

Selling options puts you in more risk but if you sell out of the money options it can be quite safe.

If you are long a stock you should always sell out-of-the-money calls that are covered by what you own.

>> No.385481

>>385209
>better ask 4chan

hahahaha

>> No.385482

>>385474
>>385209
One last thing, if you sell naked puts at-the-money or near-the-money it has the same effect as a limit buy, except you get paid a premium upfront.

The disadvantage is if you want to cancel the fake "limit buy" you have to purchase a put equal or near to what you sold. Its all very logical once you get into the details.

>> No.385483

>>385481
>not wanting to ask a general interest/hobby board with upwards of a hundred users
There are few places that you can get ten to twenty eyes instantly on your post and multiple responses in less than a minute.

>> No.385547

Tech analyst came on CNBC Friday and mentioned DECK is undervalued and bound for a big increase soon. Right when you see that big spike yesterday is when he said it.

I think it's a good buy.

>>385440
That's because it is a penny stock.

>> No.385552

>>385474
>>385482

Thank you very much. Is there any reading you can direct me towards regarding options trading?

>> No.385555

>>385552
Think I had an ebook called options made simple. Not 100%, at work now so can't confirm.

>> No.385766
File: 130 KB, 932x1034, liveshack.png [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google]

>>382276
happening

still not too cheap to short

>> No.385769

>>385555
found the book I was looking for
https://www.4shared.com/office/g-4c8Kfo/Get_Rich_with_Options_-_Lee_Lo.html

>> No.385775

>>385769

It's an invalid download link, must've timed out.

>> No.385783

>>385775
http://www.4shared.com/office/Zk7TalhNba/getrichwithoptions.html

>> No.386721

TUESDAY

BUY BUY BUY (sell before close)

>> No.386750

>>385481
this whole board is people asking other people stuff

Hell every board involves asking ppl stuff

>> No.387067

Anyone have MannKind Corp (MNKD) in their portfolio?

>> No.387069

>>387067
>MNKD
i watch it but no interest in owning

>> No.387106

Already made more yesterday in RDSB than I have in the past year's interest in my ISA.

Also, put a little in LX:AV. They're going down right now, but that's because a regulatory agency is blowing smoke up their arse right now.

>> No.387117
File: 2.30 MB, 420x300, the skyrim experience.webm [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google]

Almost bought the dip near at the final hour. Lucky I didn't

>> No.387340

AGRX had a recent patent approval or something, and their stock price jumped a huge amount yesterday, and it has held its position all the way through today.

Do you guys think it will continue to rise in the coming week or so?

>> No.387351

>>382239
>>385023

I got in a 30, I think it'll be worth hanging on to. They made some good acquisitions (Snappy TV) as far as pushing their advertising revenue forward

>> No.387364

>>381275
no, because they sold majority of their shares to that other company some years ago.

>> No.387405

>>380422
whats the best vanguard commision free etf?

>> No.387414

>>387405
gonna put some money into VNQ tomorrow,

>> No.388067

anyone taken any interest in the tsb IPO? was thinking about investing in them or lloyds even

>> No.388094
File: 860 KB, 1100x1700, 1391153749190.jpg [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google]

>>385547
I got on EOG this morning at 114.8, they had a pullback, it's over and it's reversing.

>>388067
I'm getting kind of sick of all the crappy IPOs.

I went with MRKT and PE, but they didn't do anything great. Un-luckily enough I stayed away from Arista.

>> No.388141

shorted 100 shares of INTL at $19.60

I can take the loss if it was a bad trade, but I feel pretty good about it.

>> No.388293

>>388094
>I'm getting kind of sick of all the crappy IPOs.

You mean you're not interested in buying GoPro?

>> No.388303
File: 45 KB, 803x537, AMD 1 year.png [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google]

Rollercoaster

>> No.388314

As a corporate lawyer, how can I use insider trading and not get caught?

>> No.388327
File: 36 KB, 816x538, GOOGL.png [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google]

Anyone else watching Google I/O 2014 Keynote? Pretty boring but the stock is moving nice.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=wtLJPvx7-ys

>> No.388340

ACTC at 7 cent. Still waiting for 9-10 cent.

>> No.388343
File: 37 KB, 827x297, actc.png [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google]

>>388340
forgot pic

>> No.388362

>>385766
Hey dumb question: What software is this? I see screenshots from it all the time but I have no idea what it is.

>> No.388366

>>388362
thinkorswim

>> No.388400

>>388366
Cool, thanks!

Also as a more general question (I'm not so great with stocks) but what makes you pick an individual stock? How long do you research them?

I bought into IBM a few days ago because the P/E ratio is pretty good, good ROI and stuff, and it was performing beneath the 20, 50, and 200 sma's but it only went up a little bit when I got in and now it's looking like it's going to crash. I don't really get it.

Similar with GE, I saw them as a good, safe, reliable stock with nice dividends, and I bought in and it's crashing for some reason. They just beat Siemens for a deal with Alstom and all the news is talking about how great this deal is, and it's crashing anyway. Maybe I just need to do the opposite of what I think would be a good idea and throw everything into a crashing penny stock?

>> No.388423

>>388400
Beware of "psychological tricks" by the big guys (don't buy the hype; wrong/or only partially right news articles; pumpers/bashers;....)

>> No.388442

Got into ARCP and PGH recently. We are going long, boys.
Also, >>381263
I'm long into LNCO and you should probably look into them instead.

>> No.388474

Will American Apparel go up or do you think this is the final death blow?

>> No.388488

>>388400
IBM has been doing terrible for a long time now, I wouldn't buy it.

>>388293
Not that much.

You'll see me buying Alibaba in August though, people will be on that like flies on shit in the beginning.

>>388474
It might, but I wouldn't even bother.

>> No.388495

>>388400
>I bought into IBM...
>and now it's looking like it's going to crash.

calm you tits holy jesus. IBM is not going out of business in our lifetime. and then GE is down what, 2 points from its highs? you know stocks are supposed to be long term investments right? 10 year horizon? you're picking winners (companies that will not go out of business) and yet you're freaking out because of volatility. if you're not going to day trade then don't even look at your stocks week to week. instead just think of them as savings accounts that you can add to any time you want.

>> No.388497

>>388495
I mean seriously IBM and GE crashing? stop watching so much tv.

>>388488
>IBM has been doing terrible for a long time now, I wouldn't buy it.

uhh ok. they're a fantastic company and sure their stock hasn't been going straight up but how in the world are they doing terrible?

>> No.388501

I'm asking a serious question right now, but how do you guys even do your research?

I mean, it honestly seems like you guys come up with some of the most obscure companies, some of the most volatile ETFs, and some of the strangest funds to invest in. Where are you guys doing your research and how can I get in on it?

>> No.388507

>>388501
>I mean, it honestly seems like you guys come up with some of the most obscure companies, some of the most volatile ETFs, and some of the strangest funds to invest in.

good lord I know exactly what you mean

for long term investing I just go with the obvious plays. blue chips pulled from a large index from companies I actually like. if I want to trade I tend to just watch price action; stocks hitting 52 week/all time highs/lows, unusual volume, breaks in price, biggest % movers for the day, etc. I've been adding tickers to my personal watchlist for some time now so I can just take a quick peek at that to get a feel for where the market is doing.

>> No.388513

>>388497
Hey, I'm saying they're going to go under or anything. I picked GE as a more long term one (planning to hold for a few years) but IBM I was thinking more like a few months.

Thing is GE's fallen 2.6% in the few days I've had it, and IBM's starting to look like it's going to head south a bit too. I know these companies will still be standing by the end of the month, I just seem to keep catching these guys right before a drop rather than right before a rise.

>> No.388516

>>388513
>but IBM I was thinking more like a few months.

you're daytrading at this point. that's fine and there is nothing wrong with speculation, but just know that given the odds, I would bet heavily against you making any substantial gains.

IBM is a fabulous company and you should be proud to own it. reinvest your dividends, buy more on a fixed time frame (as in adding shares 1/2/4/etc. times a year), and don't get caught up in the hype.

>> No.388517

>>388497
IBM is a great company, but you're not at the bottom of this downtrend that has been going on for more than a year now.

You might like IBM, I mean I like IBM, they even give me stuff for free all the time (no lie), but I certainly don't like the stock.

>>388495
>you know stocks are supposed to be long term investments right? 10 year horizon?

Swing trading is where money is. You should only be doing very long-term investments if you're an old man who already has a lot of money.

>>388507
Looking at charts, watching the news, and listening to analysts.

Very often you will see a good company on an overall uptrend have a pullback, and you can easily get in on it when it reverses. By this time there's a lot of pressure to quickly move up, when you're getting in on stocks that are already at highs they likewise have a lot of pressure to move down. Sometimes you can catch a big turn up, but more often than not you seem to just catch it when it's high and get caught in the pullback.

If you ever see a good stock on a general uptrend that's had a pullback, when it seems to have weared off, and the general market (dow jones, S&P, NASDAQ) going down does not seem to effect it that drastically, that typically means buyers are supporting it and it's ready to move back up fairly quickly.

Get off IBM stock if you have it and buy something better, unless you're planning on being married to it for a long time. There will without a doubt be better opportunities to buy it for cheaper when this downtrend is finally over.

>> No.388518

>>388513
>I just seem to keep catching these guys right before a drop rather than right before a rise.

that's called volatility. its why stocks don't go straight up. its why everyone can't be rich. its what makes people buy at the top and sell at the bottom consistently. don't be another one of the herd. if you're buying good stocks (which in this case you are) then don't be afraid to hold them.

>> No.388521

>>388517
>You should only be doing very long-term investments if you're an old man who already has a lot of money.

wait, you should only be investing long term when your time horizon is the shortest? are you retarded? you should be investing long term when you're in your 20's. fixed income supposedly for the old timers.

>Swing trading is where money is.
yeah my broker told me that too.

>IBM is a great company, but you're not at the bottom of this downtrend that has been going on for more than a year now.

so? they're still paying a great dividend and they're increasing it. I think you should buy some IBM now and buy some IBM later and pretty much keep adding to it until you're ready to go all cash.

>> No.388541

>>388521
Not really old man who can't afford to lose retirement money under any circumstances, bonds or a roth IRA might be a better choice there, but 30s/40s and already well situated.

If you're in your 20s you are at a perfect time to be trading stocks and making money, not making old man investments and forgetting about them. That's just what I think.

>so? they're still paying a great dividend and they're increasing it. I think you should buy some IBM now and buy some IBM later and pretty much keep adding to it until you're ready to go all cash.

I just wouldn't buy IBM until this very long downtrend is over and it starts going back up, you're going to get it cheaper, and you're not going to be losing tons of money in opportunity cost.

You could buy APA, DIS, APC, TAP, BUD, RHT, DECK, TWTR, FL, AAL, EOG, DVN.

If you wanted my portfolio if I was going to hold for at least a year or more, those are some of the places I would put money right now.

>> No.388547

>>388541
>If you're in your 20s you are at a perfect time to be trading stocks and making money, not making old man investments and forgetting about them.
>That's just what I think.

and I'm telling you that you think like a retarded person who doesn't understand that a decade extra of compounding interest is worth a lot more than essentially buying some lottery tickets and (maybe, but probably not) getting lucky. also I said fixed income which, yes, is bonds and and IRA accounts.

honestly dude your picks are terrible. TWTR, DECK, RHT jump right out at me as speculative stocks not to own. I really and truly believe you don't fully understand how to properly save money and you're going to end up as one of those dudes in his late 40's going "oh shit I need to start putting some money away". I can see you owning physical gold at some point in your life.

as for the guy who owns IBM, I'll tell you this: don't be afraid of paper losses. When a stock like IBM makes a move up it doesn't wait. Its market cap will increase seemingly exponentially leaving behind everyone who wasn't already firmly planted in. Do not sell your IBM. You might lose your position.

>> No.388565

>>388547
I put a trailing stop on IBM a while back at 5%, but I tightened it up to 3% when it looked like it was about to launch either up or down and I was getting worried about the latter.

You saying I should widen that gap again?

>> No.388568

Why would you buy IBM? No growth for years. They're just cannibalizing themselves to financially engineer their EPS targets which they hold themselves slave to. Even projecting them years in advance.

>> No.388576

>>388565
I don't use stops for long term holdings. I just don't see the point of them if you're not trading. You as a retail investor cannot pick the tops or bottoms of a stock, so why use a tool designed just for that? I consider drawdowns to be buying opportunities, but only if it matches up with my already defined savings plan.

>Why would you buy IBM? No growth for years

you could say that about the world's economy too, which IBM is dependent on. You could buy it for its dividend and it being a great company with a fairly valued stock.

>> No.388577

>>388547
Think whatever you want, you can stay married to your IBM stock.

TWTR got ran into the ground obviously, and that's where it's been at, ground level. TWTR is probably one of the riskiest moves on there, but I don't think Twitter is going anywhere, and I do think it's been oversold down here at these levels and you can make serious returns getting it for cheap down here when/if it goes back up. It already went up about $10 within the past month.

>DECK

This has been in a squeeze sideways throughout the year, analysts have said it's worth more than where it's trading at right now, they said it's ready for a break out, and you're seeing that now.

>RHT

This has been rocky mountain, up and down, personally I see it as more of a trade inbetween the highs and lows, however I think it's going up to at least $70 by the end of the year.

>properly save money

That's because I don't save money. I use it for trading.

> I can see you owning physical gold at some point in your life.

I thought this was a cool idea when I was 12, I obviously don't anymore, nor will I unless an actual apocalyptic event happens.

As much as I love IBM, I seriously wouldn't want any money in IBM stock, at the very least not until they start showing growth and the stock gets on an uptrend. There's plenty of other people who agree on that, IBM is not something investors generally want to own right now, many analysts will tell you that too and have sell/under-perform ratings on it, that's all I'm saying,

>> No.388591

>>388577
>at the very least not until they start showing growth and the stock gets on an uptrend

hahaha ok man whatever someones got to buy at the top and that's going to be you when you finally "confirm the uptrend!". I mean its not just me who thinks IBM is just fine even BRK is a large stake holder in them. I guess you're smarter though because you scalped a few points off some hot stocks and you think you know how to make money out of money.

How long have you been doing this? I'd say less than 3 years.

I'm not going to argue with you about your other picks because you offered no insight into them other than "I liked the chart".

>> No.388594

>>388591
Sorry to insult your stock pick, I see you really like it and I won't bother you about it anymore.

>> No.388597

>>388594
don't worry about the company, its you I personally have a problem with.

>> No.388622

If equities go bear or slow growth how will that affect the treasuries market?

>> No.389395

Crude Oil has been a fucking bitch this week. It's neither bullish nor bearish. It's not even a balanced sideways market. It's like a scrambled egg. I've been 74% win% in /CL YTD but I'm 22% this week. Im down $600 on the week.. I usually make $2K+ per week.

>> No.389399

Eagerly awaiting STZ earnings on the 2nd.

Can someone look at the 3 day chart and tell me if I'm reading it right that the price drops yesterday and today are likely to be mark downs for accumulation pre-earnings?

>> No.390297

>>388141
entry point was a little off but I like this trade

>> No.390313
File: 50 KB, 930x506, ctdh.png [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google]

any thoughts?

"CTD Holdings, Inc. is engaged in selling cyclodextrins (CD) and related products to the food, pharmaceutical, nutritional, and other industries, for use in research and development. "

apparently regulatory status is "pending" in the EU but is "generally regarded as safe" in US and JP.

I imagine the next few weeks to be very volatile for this stock

>> No.390314

>>390313
also: extremely low volume. just look at the weekly volume of not even 200K. not really sure what to think of this one.

>> No.390317

>>390313
>>390314
Just looked at the chart right now, bounced off R2 yesterday. Buy volume tapering off slowly is concerning.

Lots of liquidity though. Lets see if someone bites. What is the company? Was an amazing buy in January haha

>> No.390332

>>390313
That's thinkdesktop. Do you use the papermoney or livetrading module? It wouldn't let me login with livetrading, so now I have to use papermoney but the data is 20 minutes delayed (except for the charts).

>> No.390339

>>390332
live trading. I haven't had any connectivity issues but I also haven't logged out for about 5 days now.

>> No.390344

>>390339
cool, my advice is don't logout then.

if you do, you might not be able to log back in unless it's papermoney

>> No.390353

>>388597
mature /biz/nessman right there

>> No.390355

>>390353
>Implying /biz/nessmen aren't headstrong as fuck.

The word businessman contains two words, business and man. You put business before being a man.

>> No.390366
File: 77 KB, 931x530, dollarcoast.png [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google]

DG confirmed for roller coaster

>> No.390386

I wish I just kept RH instead of selling it after earnings.

It kind of still looks like a good buy for the time period, I really missed the chance though.

>> No.390397

>>390366
What does your level II say about GMO? I've got an insane list of buy orders at $1.06

>> No.390404

>>390353
since we are in 4chan, I think the appropriate term would be /biz/nessfag.

>> No.390405
File: 15 KB, 434x368, gmoII.png [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google]

>>390397
I don't have access to each exchanges book though just their front order so I don't really know much

if somebody knows where I could get such a feed that would be great

>> No.390410
File: 51 KB, 928x357, rh.png [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google]

>>390386
just looked at this one. I don't blame you at all for selling after earnings but wow talk about a hot shot

>> No.390414

>>390405
I was thinking about buying the Scottrade upgrade Pro so I can get all exchanges. But from the looks of yours and mine we are going to be sitting at $1.06-$1.07 all day.

Unless someone comes in with a huge market order.

Also anyone watching ONVO?

>> No.390423

Whoever bought into the GPRO IPO must be very happy right now.

>> No.390426

Why is GoPro still climbing?

>> No.390430

>>390426
I was actually going to buy in at 37.6 a little bit ago, I couldn't bring myself to do it.

I still can't bring myself to do it, I'm just trying not to think about it, I've lost a lot of money in opportunity cost, that's a ridiculous rally.

>> No.390431

>>390426
its the hottest IPO of the year

>> No.390434

>>390430
You could have had more than a 25% increase in capital within one day if you just bought it yesterday, or even this morning, I can't stop beating myself up over it.

>> No.390435

>>390430
>opportunity cost

oh man that is like the single worst phrase a trader can ever utter. you didn't lose a single penny. I mean honestly these guys make cameras for the extreme sports and POV porn market. Its just not something I can get excited about outside of a trade, and this stock is too much of a shitstorm for me to want to trade it.

If I wanted exposure to the market GPRO was going after I would buy MNST and just wait around. I'm not worried about regulation of energy drinks and the margins for their product are on par with products put out by KO.

>> No.390437

>>390434
Hindsight is 20/20. Don't beat yourself over any hypothetical gains. It's stupid.

>> No.390441

>>390435
Of course it's a trade, no one shoots up like this and doesn't come down.

Opportunity cost is real, if you start pretending like stuff didn't happen or that it's fine to cover your eyes and take it off your mind, you won't learn, you'll make the same mistakes again, and you won't make as much money. Simple fact is you lost out on a 25% gain not buying it. That's how much some investors make in an entire year off investments.

>> No.390442

>>390441
I'm sorry, make that 27% gain, probably more.

>> No.390444

>>390441
uh sorry dude but that's retarded. gopro could go to 100.00 and I still wouldn't be convinced that at any point during its rally it was a "good idea" to buy it. I'm seriously not upset at all. I don't understand why you are. do you get mad every time you see someone win the lottery jackpot when you forgot to buy a ticket?

>> No.390451

>>390444
I am, to me it's saying I could have made several thousands of dollars today by doing something very easy and just paying attention to the GPRO IPO instead of ignoring it like I did.

I was aware of it, I thought about buying it, but I didn't even bother checking it this morning until it was sky high. Yeah it bothers me.

>> No.390454

>>390451
get over it. GPRO could have just as easily been KING.

>> No.390455

>>390451
But that's dumb and signs of a weak trader. You can't get emotionally invested. That's how you'll end up bag holding or panic selling.

>> No.390473

>>390451
you know, if it went down instead you'd be saying the opposite about how glad you are you didn't get in at the IPO.

GPRO is world war 2 now. It sucks that it happened, but it happened and it's too late to do anything about it now. Just look to the future, there will be more IPOs before the end of your lifespan and some of them will be good.

>> No.390476

>>390473
gopro isn't even a good ipo. its a camera on a stick. they publicly stated they plan to use most of the money raised to pay down debt. in the past few months there has been a surge of advertising for the company. Suddenly there is a gopro kiosk in every retailer in america. that's how they're spending this money. not interested.

>> No.390506
File: 19 KB, 736x388, Capture.png [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google]

>>381003

I am riding this train too. I am gonna see if it holds together for a year so I can get long term capital gains on it. Hopefully it gets bought.

>> No.390509

>>382276

I love these dead and dieing gambles.

>> No.390512

>>390506
>>381003
APP is on track to file for bankruptcy. I'd stay out of this one unless its a volatility play

>> No.390516

>>390512
http://nypost.com/2014/06/26/american-apparel-faces-cash-crunch-as-lender-declares-10m-default/

source

>> No.390561

>>390476
>>390473
And just like that, it's back down to only 12% up and dropping.

>> No.390568

>>388400

>thinking fundamentals matter

All you have to do is find the pump of the week.

>> No.390944

MNKD drug got the fda approval today to treat both type 1 and 2 diabetes. Fuck yeah! Now just need to find a partner to sell the drug

>> No.392389

bump because page 8 paranoia

>> No.392448

>>387364
40% equity is still 40% no matter how you slice it.

>> No.392511

>>380422

what broker does /dtg/ use? Thinking about starting with Scottrade.

>> No.393750

GM halted

AHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHHA

>> No.393761

>>390561
anddd its back

>> No.393847
File: 69 KB, 480x800, Screenshot_2014-06-30-22-20-14.png [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google]

>>393750
Nice drop...

>> No.393849

>>393761
And hurt badly.

In other news, muh LNCO

>> No.394653

Why are you not investing in the ATX (austrian traded index)? Tell me 3 or more reasons.

>> No.394664

REDG the play of the week niggers
anyone have confirmation of AVEW news/

>> No.394690

>That GoPro stock

>> No.394721

>>394690
>That complete fucking melt up
Look at the nasdaq

Shorts = BTFO

>> No.394738

How much money do i need to get into stocks and make it profitable at least for living? In my country is minimum wage 400euro

>> No.394742

>GOPRO

Wtf is happening? Why did I buy at 30 and sell at 33. Ffs.

That amazon stock is recovering nicely.

Also STZ

>> No.394744

>>394664
This.
heard some rumors about REDG.

>> No.394763

I'll just leave this here...

>Alibaba
>BABA
>NYSE

Coming to you, in August.

I'd wink, but emoticons on 4chan?

>> No.394765

>>394721
what the fuck are you talking about? Just because it's beating NASDAQ doesn't mean it's overbought you fucking retard.

Also from what you wrote, you have no idea what a short is.

Keep being butthurt that you missed out on it you sour grapes sack of shit.

>> No.394860

>>390423
>>390426
>>390451

I got in on the IPO @ 24. Sold out yesterday. Didn't think it would go up again today. No biggie though

>> No.394880

STI is doing great now. I invested in them when I opened my account a few years ago. I got in at around $24. $40+ right now.

And they're a good banking institute too. Good plans, not the BS you get from Bank of America or Chase. Free savings account with a checking account, and the checking is free if you have direct deposit.

>> No.394887
File: 1.82 MB, 170x170, 1369759031660.gif [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google]

>>394765
Yeah, I'm getting tired of hearing faggots talk about a 20% correction with the only reason is that "we're due." I listened to six pundits until one finally gave logical reasoning.

He said that many companies with large cash reserves are doing stock buybacks rather than investing in growth. These buybacks increase the stock price because it lowers supply, the slowing and stopping of buybacks will remove this positive pressure on stocks.

But everyone else is "Hurr, we've had a bull run for five years, that's two more than three!" Don't fucking tell me a 20% correction is looming because its due. And don't tell me a 6% correction is happening this year, because we know that seasonal corrections happen every year.

>> No.394912

>>394887
>Hurr Durr buybacks

Did your retarded parents drop you on the head as a kid?

Wtf does a fresh IPO (GPRO) have anything to do with a macroeconomic market correction?

Also companies with high market caps aren't all buying back their shares, numbnuts. Apple stock split 7-1 it didn't drop from 600 to 90 dollars over night, shit for brains.

Fuck idiots like you who listen to "pundits" and don't do their own thinking are what's wrong with this world.

Think for yourself you retarded sack of shit.

>> No.394916

>>394912
Perhaps my post wasn't clear, but I was complaining about pundits. Also I'm very bullish, expecting another 5% marketwide at the end of the year.

>> No.394925
File: 64 KB, 929x496, cramer.png [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google]

very weird chart. might be a good time to start a small position.

>> No.394929
File: 257 KB, 1920x1080, ddd.png [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google]

also you guys are getting ready to buy puts on 3d printer stocks right?

>> No.394932

>>394929
I was just looking at that haha. Yup, looks like they are all ready to dip.

>> No.394936

Hypothetically, if I wanted to buy NYSE:RTN between today and tomorrow to be on record for their next dividend, how would I?
Yes, I know I miss the Ex-dividend and this morning.

>> No.394943

>>394932
so weird that ONVO isn't participating in the rally. I read some BS article about how all the 3d printer stocks are up because some dorks at harvard claimed they were able to 3d print some blood vessels and THAT'S the reason they're all taking off today. well, all of them except for the 3d printer company with a focus on printing human tissue of course.

>> No.394950

>>394943
Well ONVO did dip pretty hard. But ONVO tends to follow the bio stocks more than 3D printing. Seems it's up quite a bit today though.

>> No.394956

>>394950
ehh, my point was that the "news" is mostly made up to fit the current price action as opposed to providing anything of real value.

>> No.394968

IBM just jumped up today from a good score on the SIEM report.

would you sell, /biz/? No real value has been added to the company other than public image.

>> No.394970

>>394956
Yeah, from what I saw the entire 3D printer market would be down until they found a practical use for it on a mass consumer or commercial scale.

Until then I just wrote them all off. That spike on DDD was pretty big which is why I was even looking in the first place.

You figure ONVO would have skyrocketed on that news btw...

>> No.394999

>>394763

What would you say to someone that doesn't have Wall Street purchasing power?

You think that stock will be hot. What are the chances individual investors on here will be able to place an order?

>> No.395049

>>394936

If you buy on ex-div or after you miss the dividend. If you buy anytime now and hold it until the next ex div you get the dividend.

>> No.395074

>>394999
Individuals are always able to place orders, it's just that major institutions get first dibs on the initial valuation price.

>> No.395216

DANG
dangdang.com

It's the Chinese amazon. They recently returned to profitability. Im thinking it will go to $15 within 2 months.

http://ir.dangdang.com/ link to investor relations quarterly filings ect.

>> No.395452

So let's say I know the date when a certain company stock splits, should one buy before or after the split?

>> No.395454

>>395452
If it's going to get a lot of hype behind it on the announcement then buy before. If not, buy after so you can buy as many shares as you want at a cheaper valuation... Like you had to shill out $600 to get an AAPL before the split but you might only have $500, so after the 7:1 split you bought 5 or 6.

So what company is splitting?

>> No.395465

>>395454
>So what company is splitting?

I don't know if I would be divulging private information so I rather not say, sorry.

>> No.395469

>>395465
>Anonymous image board
>Not helping out /biz/ bros

But I do understand

>> No.395473

>>395465
if it's publically traded, then its split date is public

you can google split calendars

>> No.395477

>>395473
I think he might be saying he has information that hasn't been made publicly available yet. But yeah, >>395465 can check the symbol and see if it is public information, we wouldn't mind knowing the company if it is officially news already.

>> No.395483

>>395477
>check the symbol and see if it is public information

Already did and it's not in there so I double checked and it seems it's still speculation at this point, though the board of directors may announce a split if the stock rises after their annual report.

>> No.395489

>>395483
That's nice but since I don't know what it is I don't really care anymore ¯\(°͜ ° )/¯

>> No.395497

I told you about GOOGL...

>> No.395824

>>395497
The GOOGL was Paul?

>> No.395837

>>395216
>http://ir.dangdang.com/
I thought Alibaba was the chinese amazon?

>> No.395838

I have 5k, what should I daytrade?

>> No.395841

>>395838
>day trading
>with 5k

Nothing, the brokerage fees will eat you alive. And if you make more than 5 trades a day, your broker will classify your account as Pattern Day Trader and you'll need to keep a minimum of 25k (10k w/ margin), otherwise your broker will freeze your account.

>> No.395846

>>395841

I could only make one trade every 3 days with waiting for the money to clear and all anyways

>> No.395847

>>395846
If you're not closing out your positions by the end of the day, then you aren't day trading.

From what you wrote it looks like you have very little understanding of the markets.

I really suggest you go to investopedia.com and stockcharts.com and learn a little before you lose your money trading.

>> No.395851

>>395847

What an fag, you could at least have corrected him and told him he meant swing trading, not day trading so at least he knows where to start.

>> No.395852

>>395452
doesn't matter

>> No.395853

>>395847

I do close my positions within the end of the day, I thought people just knew that you had to wait for your money to clear before you could use it again. From what you wrote it looks like you've never actually made a trade before.

>> No.395854

>>395851
He isn't even swing trading you dumb cunt. You can make intra week trades and still only be trading in the channel.

Unlike you, I didn't want to give him wrong information so I sent him to two sites that have tutorials to help him learn.

Fucking autists...

>> No.395858
File: 128 KB, 676x507, janet.jpg [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google]

DOW 17000 when

>> No.395859

>>395853
>one trade every three days
>thinks he is day trading

Scottrade gives me my money the same day, but that's because I also have a checking account with them.

Also if it takes three days for your bank to clear funds from your broker you can trade ona margin, which is what most day traders do anyway.

>> No.395862

>>395853
If you mean "settle" instead of "Clear", then yes it can take some time for your order to settle, but that mostly depends on order size and has never taken more than a day for me, but then again I'm only trading with 2k.

>> No.395872

>>395853
lol dude your newfag is showing

you don't have to wait for your money to settle if you have a margin account. how do you think people with HFT strategies are able to make thousands of trades a day?

>> No.395883

if you have a hardon for daytrading, open an account with a index futures discount broker, as low as $500 margins for es last time i looked, less than $5 rt/contract

>> No.395941

>>395883

$500 margin is a recipe for disaster.

>10 pt move in ES (0.5% move, aka noise)
>Complete account blow-out

>> No.395947

>>380422
>tfw GPRO is over

60% increase for me though

>> No.396059

What do you think of this?

http://www.forbes.com/sites/jessecolombo/2014/07/01/these-23-charts-prove-that-stocks-are-heading-for-a-devastating-crash/

>> No.396072

>>395941
>>10 pt move in ES (0.5% move, aka noise)

i don't think you should be trading es if 40 ticks is 'noise' to you

>> No.396079

>>396059
A lot of false analogies and weight put on the Fed's stimulus program.

Also he focuses on p/e indicators. While I agree that the stock market is overvalued; the indicators just aren't there like they were for the major crashes in '29 and '87.

>> No.396100
File: 49 KB, 1061x701, ACTC.png [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google]

Does anyone else here own ACTC shares? I only have a small position (like with GMO).

>> No.396160
File: 33 KB, 870x603, a.png [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google]

>>396100

Nice move today. Notice the time of the article?

>> No.396290

>>396072

VIX at 10.82 implies the standard deviation of daily returns is 0.68%. Inside one standard deviation is noisy to me. But you are recommending a newbie open a $500 margin futures account so maybe you aren't the best judge of these things.

>> No.396311

This is probably a stupid question with how late it is, but can I expect any companies to go up because of Independence Day? like burger, hotdog, and firework companies?

>> No.396316

>>396311
You'd have to guess that they will have good quarterly earnings. Although, everyone is like you and assuming they always sell more during this time of year cyclically.

>> No.396396

>>396290
if a newbie wants to daytrade but doesn't have enough to get around pdt, the next best choices are fx or index futures (tight spreads, transparent market). you aren't qualified to talk about day trading, as everything you've mentioned is irrelevant to a daytrader.

>> No.396400

>>396396

> you aren't qualified to talk about day trading, as everything you've mentioned is irrelevant to a daytrader.

So the fact that a <1 sigma move will wipe you out is irrelevant? ok.

>the next best choices are fx or index futures (tight spreads, transparent market).

Existence of an edge should determine which market you trade. FX and Index futures are very efficient which lend them to contain very little edge especially on an intra-day basis which will slaughter a newbies account.

>> No.396414

>>396400
it's really obvious you're not a daytrader, and it's unlikely you'll ever be one. why do you think your advice is relevant to anyone who wants to learn daytrading?

>> No.396423
File: 38 KB, 800x85, ra3tye.png [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google]

>>396414

>it's really obvious you're not a daytrader, and it's unlikely you'll ever be one. why do you think your advice is relevant to anyone who wants to learn daytrading?

Funny, because all of this is just received wisdom from successful traders. All of whom believe risking blow out on a <1 sigma move is insane. When you can post blotters like this I might listen to you about risk management. For now I'll follow their advice and common sense really.

>> No.396447
File: 33 KB, 400x300, kelly evans.jpg [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google]

>>396423
#REKT

>> No.396455

Still riding STZ. I was positive it would exceed earnings and what do you know, it did.

Debating if I should look for an exit or hold til next year to avoid capital gains...

>> No.396464

>>396311
Yeah, I bought some RedWhiteBlue Co (NASDAQ: JULY) the other day, made 117% in like 4 minutes. Shit was so ca$$$h.

>> No.396466

Hey Stock Market General, what do you all think of RSI?

It's based entirely on the charts, right? It seems like it's all voodoo and superstition to me, so why do so many people take it seriously?

>> No.396616

>>396423
> takes IB blotter from elitetrader
> a community of daytraders, mostly index futures
> claims they told me about risking blow out on a 1 sigma move

day traders don't talk about sigmas
you don't understand volatility for day traders is like honey for bears

anyways, this is sad, stop trying to pretend you understand how daytraders work

i said before, if he has a hardon for daytrading, he can open an account with minimal capital and trade es. blowing out a small account is part of the learning curve.

> elitetrader member since 2002

>> No.396981

What are peoples thoughts on streaming royalties on precious metals as an alternative to trading?

>> No.397026

>>396455
>expecting stock rising on good earning report
lel

>> No.397036

I want to buy a stocks from solid, well established companies and then hold them for a few years. I'm not looking to trade in and out and make a few quick bucks. However, it seems like all the big companies' stocks are overpriced or have recently experienced big jumps, which makes me hesitant to put money into them. Which companies should I buy and hold? If they pay dividends, that would be nice too.

>> No.397037

>>397036
Here's what I own already, just for reference:
HD
WEN
GOOGL
AAPL
I have a few thousand to invest as well.

>> No.397039

>>396160
Today is even better.

>> No.397118

>>396616

>day traders don't talk about sigmas

They should if they aren't retards. This is like basic risk management. Your 1-tick stop is going to get hit with vol at 40. In fact your 5 pt stop probably will as well. But it has nothing to do with day trading right?

>anyways, this is sad, stop trying to pretend you understand how daytraders work

I understand how risk works. But what you're telling me is that day traders disregard that and make millions. Ok.

>i said before, if he has a hardon for daytrading, he can open an account with minimal capital and trade es. blowing out a small account is part of the learning curve.

He WILL blow out. Guaranteed. Your advice is toxic. The only learning he will do is to not listen to you.

> elitetrader member since 2002

Cool. That doesn't make your advice any better.

Anyways, for any newbies in this thread open a new trading account and ask your broker for 197 to 1 leverage to day trade. See how many don't laugh at you. That's what this guy is recommending for you guys. And if you do get that leverage see how long you can last. As of right now if you ever hit a 10 pt draw down on ES (who doesn't) you will get wiped out. Then go chalk it up to "learning experience." It only cost you your hard earned money right?

>> No.397119

What the fuck is going on with the market?

Is it already closed 11:30 PST?

DId they shut down wall street early today for the 4th tomorrow or something?

>> No.397124

>>397119

Early close today, closed all day tomorrow.

>> No.397125

>>397119
money.cnn.com/2014/07/03/investing/stocks-markets/index.html
>U.S. stock markets closed at 1 p.m. Thursday, but they got the fireworks going early. The Dow finally hit 17,000!

That's why. I thought I was taking my crazy pills for a second.

Why is such a fucking huge monetary giant like fucking wall street allowed to 'close early' on bullshit like this? It seems rather asinine that the country and trillions of dollars just take early breaks off.

>> No.397128

>>397125

Because they are a huge giant and can tell you to go fuck yourself.

>> No.397130

>>397125

This happens every year. What are you complaining about?

https://beta.nyse.com/markets/hours-calendars

http://www.cmegroup.com/tools-information/holiday-calendar/

http://ir.cboe.com/releasedetail.cfm?ReleaseID=856515

>> No.397153

>>397130
>the stock market contains the living financial health of the United States and many countries around the world
>its okay for it take holiday breaks and early days off

>> No.397164

>>397153

>the stock market contains the living financial health of the United States and many countries around the world

No, the credit markets are much more important. But that's besides the point. The markets are nowhere near as important as you make them out to be. Just look at yesterday, 0.2% range in the S&P all day what a snoozefest. What did the world gain there? The more you deal with the market the more mundane it gets. Literally nothing is going to happen tomorrow that the markets can't deal with on Monday.

>> No.397217

>>397164
>2008 wasnt a big deal
>no, not at all, even on a global scale

>> No.397230

>>397217

>2008 wasnt a big deal
>no, not at all, even on a global scale

What does that have anything to do with the markets being closed for a day? You know lehman went bankrupt on a weekend?

Oh and what made 2008 so bad was the credit markets froze. Proving my point thanks.

>> No.397253

http://kingworldnews.com/kingworldnews/KWN_DailyWeb/Entries/2014/7/3_Global_Debt_A_Shocking_$280_Trillion,_$200_Oil_%26_Total_Collapse.html

>> No.397266

>>397253
>Advertising your own blog

>> No.397274

The problem with BTFD is this:

It's all fine and dandy until it stops working. And when it fails it will fail hard.

You will wake up to -2% in futures and watch highly leveraged longs getting decimated when the market opens to close -5% for the day. Will it be the end? I doubt it, central banks are providing too much liquidity for this to completely blow up now. Maybe in 2015. In the meantime a ~10% correction has a very high chance of happening in the following months.

>> No.397371

What broker should I use? Poorfag here so I'm guessing one with low ass trade fees.

>> No.397800
File: 1.82 MB, 1600x5267, dangdang.jpg [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google]

>>395837
Alibaba is more of a wholesaler to other countries. Alibaba is something you could order 150,000 units off of. Have them imported then sell them in the States. DangDang is more like amazon. It sells books and shit to end customers.

>> No.397880

>>396100
No one? This looks perfect for swing trading. Range is 5-10 cent.

>> No.397885

Bubble general? Awesome

>> No.397900

>>397885
What's up with the increase of "bubble" posts lately?

Let me guess. You're 18, a pooor NEET and never invested money in your life, and you're one of those that wish for a currency reset so that you are at the same situation like everyone else. Consider suicide.

>> No.397959

H-How do you find what stocks to invest in? are there any good apps/websites to show good ones
all I get is google, apple, etc

>> No.397960

>>395824
What? No, that it'll go up.

>> No.398118

>>397880
I do, not much but I own some. Bought at like .06 ish now it went up to. 08. I'm not shorting though. I'm longing this mother fucker. When it dips to .0597 or in the .06 area I'm gonna add more to my portfolio. I'm really invested right now in MNKD. If you haven't seen anything about it, I recommend you do a little research into it. Will go up as soon as they find the right partner.

>> No.398296
File: 26 KB, 342x210, fresnillo-plc[1].jpg [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google]

Who else rode the Fresnillo train?
>Bought on June 3rd
>Sold today

https://uk.finance.yahoo.com/echarts?s=FRES.L#symbol=FRES.L;range=1m

>> No.398326

can someone explain to me how to get into this kinda thing? i'm very interested

>> No.398332

>>398326
Where do you live?
What amount of savings are you willing to lose?
How much free time do you have during weekdays, specifically work hours.

>> No.398383

>>398332
britain
none yet, i'm a broke uni student but i want to learn how everything works
i'm on summer holidays, so all the time in the world

>> No.398421

>>385783
no longer valid:(

>> No.398480

>>398383
You're broke and have nothing to invest. Go away and play the /biz/ marketwatch game.

>> No.398507

>>398480

Or get a job, then invest earnings

>> No.398825

>>398118
Will you sell at the 9-10cent area?

>> No.399605

Hi Stock Market General, help a newbie here.

A friend and I, two broke PhD students, would like to get into algo trading. Not seeking to become rich but at least earn some extra bucks. My friend's field is stochastic math (monte-carlo and quasi montecarlo) and some academical experience with finance (options, black-scholes, etc..) . Mine is optimization and high performance computing. We also have experience with machine learning and bayesian graphs.

We've partnered with another guy that trades with his own savings and has an Ameritrade account with API access.

What would you recommend me to start with (books, articles, etc...) We wanted to tackle a sector (i.e energy) and elaborate a model with commodities, futures, and then stock that is dependent on such industry.

>> No.399659

>>399605
Look into water companies

>> No.399691

>>398825
Nah, I'm gonna stay long with this one. Not looking for quick profits. Expecting this bitch to succeed.

>> No.399712

21, decent job out of uni, 20k in debt.
buy up FSLR with my leftover revenue and put off getting a Roth for a year or so?

why do i think that buying a bunch of First Solar's stock is a safe way of investing?

>> No.400183

Bump for monday

>> No.400414

>>399712
FSLR is better as a short-term play. Seems like at least once a week the solars get popular and shoot up, then drop again.

>> No.400444

>>399605
Partnering
>This is where you're going to run into problems.

If you did group research and each invested your own money it might be worthwhile and avoid the inevitable falling out of mismanaged stock decisions.

>> No.401466
File: 40 KB, 1489x846, camt.png [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google]

>>380422
I'm sitting on 600 shares of CAMT, how fucked am I on open? I mean they had a good day but I'm nervous the market will take a mean turn on it tomorrow.

>> No.401512

>>401466
What is the MACD telling you?

>> No.401567
File: 13 KB, 596x453, camt.png [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google]

>>401512
It's bull but just barely. In fact it's slowed a lot but that is just reactive to the fact the stock slowed at the end of the trading day.

>> No.402490

Weekly reminder. TODAY IS TUESDAY

>> No.402675

HAPPENING

http://finviz.com/map3d.ashx

>> No.402685

>>402675
Just a bearish day. If you see ny of the indices drop by more than 10% in a day, then you could say something fishy was going on.

Ironically, utilities is the only sector tat is actually up today.

>> No.402697

>>401567
Opened at 4.50... Well at least my trailing stop mitigated losses.

>> No.402758

How many more days do you guys think this bearishness will last?
Should I invest today or wait?

>> No.402760

>>392448
doesnt yahoo have 22% of alibaba ? i read it at marketwatch.

>> No.402770
File: 6 KB, 200x291, 1344281539645.jpg [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google]

>>402675
>all these dumps
it's fucking HAPPENING

>> No.402774

>>390431
same shit will happen with alibaba i am sure .

>> No.402786
File: 180 KB, 750x750, 1366667793969.jpg [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google]

>> No.402827
File: 4 KB, 391x138, applecall.png [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google]

I guess buying AAPL calls is a no brainer.

>> No.402831

>>402786
Nobody knows. You can wake up early tomorrow and see how the market starts. A lot of volume occurs in the first hour thanks to day and scalp trades

>> No.402847

>>402831
My commute doesn't allow me the time unfortunately. And my phone is far too old to help.
And I'm far too green to trust myself with a limit trade with the market like this.

>> No.402874

Will today's drop continue?
> momentum stocks down almost 9%

>> No.402891

>>402874
That's why they're called momentum

>>402758
Wait a day or two, in my opinion.

>> No.404469

>>402827
I put a long strangle on them for the next few weeks. With that business in china they could go either way but they are unseasonably mobile. I may marry it if I like the movement.

>> No.404749

What does /biz/ think of the german markets (DAX, ATX)?

>> No.404825
File: 67 KB, 230x230, honking intensifies.gif [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google]

I'm all in on BBRY. Don't fail me now, John Chen.

>> No.404938

How do I get into stocks?

>> No.404939

>>404938
Investopedia.com
Stockcharts.com

Check out their tutorial sections.

>> No.404943

>>404939
Should probably mention I'm still living at home looking for a minimum wage job. Bright side is I'm <20

>> No.405143

>>380422

CAN SOMEONE EXPLAIN TO ME WHAT HAPPENED TO GOLD MINERS TODAY????

>> No.405260
File: 40 KB, 745x432, shortcall.png [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google]

>>404469
Something was up with my order last night and it showed up rejected this morning. Gave me time to think so I switched strategies to try something new, Long Call Calendar Spread on AAPL.
Buy 5 AAPL Call @ 95.00 Apr 11
Sell 5 AAPL Call @ 95.71 Jul 11
AAPL kind of scared me touching 95.50 today but it seems to have double touched 95.50 and pulled back to 95.00. Have we seen resistance? Etrade's tool puts an 89% chance on AAPL staying below 95.71 tomorrow. What do you think /biz/? Are we poised for a bear run on AAPL tomorrow or at minimum will it stay below 95.71?

>> No.405318

>>405260
Earnings are scheduled to be released any day now and they are expected to beat predictions again. So hold onto your seat.

>> No.405415

>>405318
Googling says the 22nd. That could be a swift kick in the butt at the right time too. I can kick the contracts back to the market while speculation is high and the contracts are relatively mature. (I can't exercise because I'm not sitting on 45000+ or even 9500+ for that matter)

>> No.406354
File: 419 KB, 947x768, wut.png [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google]

>>405143
It's happening? What gold miners do you mean. please post some examples.

>> No.406381

>>405260
It was a little hairy today but with the AAPL closed at 95.22 I profit off my Jul 11 contracts. Jul 18th contracts are worth some money right now. Where do you put AAPL in a week /biz/nessgurus?

I mean we saw 95.81 today but there is obviously some resistance coming from 95.50+. Still I think it could reach 96s next week once the market gets used to the new price.

>> No.406384

So, is trading just a riskier version of investing?

>> No.406474

>>406384
Huh? I'm guessing by trading you mean day trading or active trading as opposed to fixed income or growth investment. Neither is inherently riskier than the other. You're exposed to the same market either way. With enough capital you can day trade blue chips all day long and with good strategy you'll be just as safe as your grandma dottie. "Trading" is only risky when you chase 30% gains in dicey stocks with your whole bank roll and some margin.

>> No.406493

>>406474

Yeah, I'm still just learning about this stuff. So, in what type do you engage in?

>> No.406532

>>406493
Well here's something I had to learn the hard way:
You cannot be a day trader with less than $25,000. It's illegal (US). I've been slapped on the wrist for it within minutes of being classified as a PDT. All Etrade did was make it so I had to wait for a trade to clear before I could trade again (2 days) and took away my margin for a week but it will stop you in your tracks.

I'm most comfortable as an Options trader. Keeps me well off the PDT limit and minimizes exposure to the market when done right. For $1300 I bought the right to buy 500 shares of Apple at a later date (until Aug 01) at the price of $95. If AAPL rises to $98/share I exercise the option buying shares at $95 and selling at $98. If AAPL closes on Aug 01 at less than $95 the contract expires worthless, I have only lost my $1300. Whereas if I was in the stock the normal way I would be exposed to it's actual movement. Although I'm more interested in the profit on the value of the option due to speculation than the actual exercise (unless AAPL really takes off in the next two weeks).

>> No.406535

>>406532
WHAT?!!??!

Why the fuck is that?

I'm canadian but that just seems fucking retarded

>> No.406537

>>406535
>>406532
that has to be for margin or something right?

>> No.406540

>>406537
Nope, just the law. I got slapped for it once before I got my margin account.

I guess it's to keep dumb people from loosing all their money as a PDT. I don't think it's any of their business but the reality is the last time I got hit with PDT Etrade threatened to close my account if I kept it up. So I've backed off when I'm under 25k.

>> No.406542

>>406535
>canadian
"How does the SEC day trading rule affect Canadians?
Since IB U.S. securities and options trades are cleared in the US, the SEC pattern day trading rules are applicable. If you effect 4 stock or equity option "day trades" on a US exchange within a 5 business day period, you will be designated as a "pattern day trader". The "pattern day trader" designation will require that you maintain a minimum of $25,000 (US dollars) to continue trading. For more information, please click here."
https://www.interactivebrokers.ca/en/?f=%2Fen%2Fgeneral%2Feducation%2Ffaqs%2FcanadaFAQs.php%3Fib_entity%3Dca#14

>> No.406563

>>406542
well it's a good thing you mentioned this, just setup my account on virtual brokers, was going to reinvest money from my business

>> No.406598

>>380422
Semi related. Where do you guys get your forex news from? I'm just starting out and not sure where to gag happiness from.

>> No.406715

>>406542
As background, IB Canada has traditionally relied upon Interactive Brokers LLC, it’s U.S. affiliate, to provide various operational and back office services. This arrangement, while advantageous from the standpoint of internal operational efficiencies, introduces a number of drawbacks to clients which, as our Canadian presence has expanded, we seek to eliminate by managing these services directly through IB Canada. In particular, the benefits of this change include the following:

- Elimination of the Pattern Day Trading requirement;

>> No.406743

>>406532
I don't get it, why would you bother taking out options on a stock like Apple?

>> No.406818

>>406743
Options are crazy man.

Lets say you wanted to invest in Apple but were a bit wary of their current performance. You could marry a Put (option to sell the market 100 shares at contract price at a later date) to an outright position in the stock. If you managed to get the stock at the contract value of the put the most you could ever lose is the value of the option contracts. When the stock profits the put expires worthless. The stock merely has to profit the price of the contracts to break even. When the stock loses the put profits the same amount keeping your max loss at the price of the contracts. Your profits will be less than straight up but that's the price of hedging your bet.

With options you may also, profit when the stock doesn't move, Profit if the stock moves either direction (you know the stock will move but you're not sure which way), Profit on a range of prices where you think it will be in the future (higher than just owning the stock in that range).

>> No.406827

>>406818
>>406743
My current strategy is a calendar spread. You have a general overarching prediction for the price in this case that it will beat $95/share by August 1st. Then I open a shorter term prediction (1 week). By shorting a Call at 95.71 I declared that the price would not go above 95.71. I profited for every cent the price of that option fell as it's expiration came closer and then it expired worthless leaving me with the full value of the option. Now I can wait out my longer contract or make a new prediction next week. Goal is to pay off the contract price of the long contract with these short bets to maximize it's profits.

>> No.406828

How do you guys gather your information? Seeing what stocks are the best performing, worst performing, overall business news etc

Something like this would be cool too :

>>406354

Name?

>> No.406863
File: 102 KB, 1136x640, image.jpg [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google]

Does any one still give a shit about the stock game? I haven't been back on /biz/ in like 2 months.

>> No.406871

>>406863
lots of people have been cheating apparently, and I didn't do anything besides my initial 2 trades

made like 40k though and am top 100 rofl

>> No.407037

>>406828
Here are some links

http://finviz.com/map3d.ashx

http://pastebin.com/2TY7WcfR (pasta back from the /pol/ days)

http://pastebin.com/E4EF5P9v (Day Trading)

Yahoo Message Board

Twitter/Stocktwits

>> No.407064

>>407037
Thanks a million man, helps more than you would imagine!

>> No.407383

>>407037
>http://pastebin.com/2TY7WcfR
>"Some brokerages like E-trade will flat out deny you for Level II unless you're a millionaire."
Wrong. I have Level 3 and I've never said I was more liquid than 25k and more valuable than 100k. The only way to get 3 or 4 is with a margin account though. Also it should be noted Options trading levels depend on broker. Some have as few as three and some as many as 6. Telling them level two wouldn't get them spreads or straddles over at Trade King or Fidelity.