[ 3 / biz / cgl / ck / diy / fa / ic / jp / lit / sci / vr / vt ] [ index / top / reports ] [ become a patron ] [ status ]
2023-11: Warosu is now out of extended maintenance.

/biz/ - Business & Finance

View post   

File: 301 KB, 1800x1200, 1393729101716.jpg [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google]
374017 No.374017[DELETED]  [Reply] [Original]

Are cover letters useless? I've never written one before and have had little trouble finding jobs, it seems like it just repeats shit on your resume but in paragraph form instead of easy to read bullets.

>> No.374021

>>374017
You should still write one to show that you care about the position you're applying for and you aren't just handing out resumes.

For the record, almost every place that I have written a cover letter to I have gotten a call back from.

Make sure you address their company specifically as well as their needs. It's not as hard as you think, after the first few you'll be writing them in 20-30 minutes.

>> No.374025

>>374017
I've found that when I started submitting cover letters, I got a lot more calls and interviews compared to when I didnt use them. Dont just highlight the same shit from your resume, make it personal and point specific on the particular job you are applying for. Point out and exaggerate certain aspects and duties of your previous jobs and relate them to the job description and requirements of the job you are seeking.

>> No.374033

>>374017
Basically just use half of the job posting in your cover letter. If the job posting says "we require someone who can suck 12 dicks at once" you say "I've spent the past 3 years sucking 12 dicks daily".

>> No.374069

cover letters are used to avoid application spam. nobody reads them

>> No.374107

Depends on the industry.

I've had people in marketing (P&G) tell me its the first thing they read after that mandatory logic test thing, and if your cover letter is insufficient they won't even bother looking at the rest of your application.

Meanwhile, I've asked directors in charge of recruiting at a couple different investment bank and they think its trash. The one guy just opened up the cover letter in word to run a spell-check, the other said he won't read them if upon first glace it looks like you filled the page with content