[ 3 / biz / cgl / ck / diy / fa / ic / jp / lit / sci / vr / vt ] [ index / top / reports ] [ become a patron ] [ status ]
2023-11: Warosu is now out of extended maintenance.

/biz/ - Business & Finance

View post   

File: 141 KB, 634x515, SadTruth.jpg [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google]
351100 No.351100[DELETED]  [Reply] [Original]

>Be a mid-twentysomething.
>Get flak from the older generations all the time regarding Millenials' lack of professionalism.
>Work in the advertising industry.
>In direct correspondence with fairly high-ranking members of major global corporations.
>Send them professionally formatted and worded emails.
>Their responses are always on the level of teenage girls texting.
>"k will get u those files fri or mon if i dont have them lol"

>> No.351104

>>351100
go bitch somewhere else, fag.

have you tried /r9k/?

>> No.351117

>>351100

I thought I was the only one who had this problem.

I work in a hospital and everyone does this. I make all of my emails professional and spell checked, and I always get replies such as "pataint (yes the Dr misspelled it) is doin good u need to look at his chart laterfor me before you start your phiysical therapy treatment"

Literally everyone emails like this and no one knows how to use a comma.

>> No.351119

>>351117
Same as you in engineering. Upper management here is so retarded that I am now a stand out employee because I can convey thoughts in email form

>> No.351125

>>351104

Unless you are currently trying to quit smoking, I suggest you remove the massive black dildo that is stuck up your ass.

>> No.351128

I wonder if they are just being lazy/unprofessional or maybe it is because they simply aren't as skilled at using a PC/keyboard as us younger folks. So instead of wasting 6 hours making a proper email they just mash the keyboard and press send.

>> No.351158

>>351100
Ditto. I was really surprised how much of their time they just spend on facebook dicking around too. I think boomers always give millenials shit because they feel they have to justify their own positions; if the common consensus was that boomers were lazy, uneducated and overpaid, I don't think they'd last so long in senior positions. Hell, don't a lot of silicon valley companies just avoid boomers altogether?

>> No.351163
File: 119 KB, 920x766, 0e0364d11c876df86bf6e3785ede9157-7-costumes-to-really-scare-twenty-somethings.jpg [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google]

>>351128

That may be true in some cases, though many of the VP-types I've dealt with are 30-40 years of age and quite addicted to their iPhones and whatnot.

I feel as though, in most cases, they are communicating to the lower ranks in a manner that they believe is more amicable to the younger and less-empowered persons. In advertising, I deal with a lot of corporate hotshots who are all about "the Twitter and the Facebooks" because their projections show it is all the rage with the target demographics these days and, if they communicate in such a manner, surely it will make them seem young and appealing as well...

>> No.351174

>>351163
The way I see it is that these people act in accordance with their internet age, i.e. how long they've had access to the internet. Thus 40-somethings who only started using computers when they absolutely had to, and small children, have a low internet age, and thus are incapable of typing coherent sentences.

>> No.351176

>>351163

I guess you might be right. Sometimes I hear 40+ people mention memes nowadays, and I guess they really do not realise how retarded they sound.

>> No.352456

>>351100
It's been a while since I've seen it. I work for one of the major IT companies, so not knowing how to type isn't an option. Occasionally I see a "Thx", but the last time I saw "Lol" in an email was from an HR person two jobs ago. She was impossible to get a hold of.

>> No.352466

>>351128
They damn well know how to use a typewriter.
Since they can do the pc stuff of actually sending the email, I assume they can fucking type.

>> No.352469

>>351100

Saw my dad doing the same. he's a 55 year old man with no knowledge nor interest in computers, but a rather high management position. But instead of wasting time spelling everything right etc he uses it to 1) get his message across in 2) the shortest amount of time.

time is money

>> No.352757

>>352469
No one is in so much of a hurry that they can't be arsed to spell correctly or use basic grammar. At this point I'm fairly convinced that the older generation is the only one that ever used so-called "texting speech."

Your dad wouldn't go into the office without a shirt on. That'd be unprofessional and disruptive to the work environment. The exact same thing goes for poor messaging. I for one can't wait for all the old fucks to retire so I don't have to put up this shit anymore.

>> No.352768

Usually when I use proper grammar and spelling, people respond with proper grammar and spelling.

>them: hey did u get the pdf i sent u
>me: Yeah, I'm going over it now. Thanks.
>them: Okay, tell me if you have any problems.

I think it makes them self conscious.

>> No.352802

>>351100

Eh, it works out in my favor though.

When you sound more professional than your employers / clients, it matters. They respect you more.

If you lose respect for your employers/clients because they don't sound respectable, it really means nothing.

If you sound professional in comparison to them, it means everything.

>> No.352804
File: 26 KB, 492x557, What has been seen.jpg [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google]

>>352768

I was drilled from a very young age on how to write professional business letters. I didn't go to a fancy private school or anything. Our district held us to high standards and taught us real-world skills like correspondence, interviewing, checkbook balancing, and beyond starting in elementary school.

As a result, I always format my letters with the following:

>Recipient contact info

>Applicable greeting,

>Body.
>Conclusion.

>Closing salutation,

>My Signature (if print or PDF)
>My name and contact info

I have never, or merely rarely received correspondence with anything more than two sentences and a name.

I also, as a graphic designer, prepare PDF contracts, invoices, etc in InDesign and then ensure interactive functionality in Acrobat. If there is information for the client to fill out, my forms always have text fields, radio buttons, checkboxes, and the like. This is in order to ensure the recipient need only open the document, digitally fill it out, save it, and send it.

They never do. They always print it, fill it out by hand, and send back a crooked 500x700px, 72dpi or 6000x3000, 300dpi scan.

>> No.352809

>>352804
The number of people who know that PDFs can have editable fields is like $(however many people actually make forms). If you want them to fill it out digitally do html with a printable link at the top

>> No.352846

>>352809
This. Also, Adobe Reader is a security risk. Ever tested those fields in other readers (they almost never work properly).

>> No.352868

>>351128

In my experience with cold e-mailing people and selling, I've noticed that I get better results when I sound casual rather than professional, it makes people comfortable, perhaps that's why the older guys are doing it. As to why they want us to be professional? I don't know. . .

>> No.352869

>Have two bosses
>One is upper management in multinational company
>Texts with stuff like "its ok ur doin good lol :)"
>Second guy is a construction worker
>Texts professionally. Always uses good grammar/spelling

wat m8

>> No.352957

>>352869

At this point I think it is simply a matter of the high and mighty individuals just so accustomed to people being at their beck and call that it doesn't even occur to them.

That or they do not perceive digital communications as "real." The bigwigs probably spend considerable time and effort in maintaining their physical presence, and would think less of you for coming in to their office in torn jeans and a ratty old T-Shirt, but have no awareness that their virtual communications lend that sort of impression.

>> No.352969

you people have so little going for you that this is what you cling to reassure yourselves that you are such valuable and rare employees?

Here is how it works:

Clients don't give 2 shits about formatting their emails when they are paying you to do something. But you damn well better format your emails professionally when you send something to them.

By the same token, your bosses don't give 2 shits about formatting something for your stupid ass. But when they are talking to clients they read and re-read everything they send to make sure it is professional.

I thought everyone knew this.

>> No.352975

>>351117
you HAVE to format your emails properly since most likely you contribute jack shit

Doctors are busy saving lives, and you decide to judge them on something like spelling when they are talking to someone as insignificant as you?

>> No.352981

>>351100
I know the feeling. My dad's friend is a multimillionaire and he still has a hotmail email address

>> No.353010
File: 262 KB, 673x660, 1356334020895.jpg [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google]

>friend gets me job at warehouse
>$18/hr
>awesome now I finally have a job!
>work 3 days in a row
>"anon you're doing great, we always need people like you. You're pretty much guaranteed 60 hrs a week"
>be now
>haven't worked in over a week
>call warehouse manager three times
>never returns messages
>friend doesn't answer texts any more

fuck this. I'm just going to start my own business

>> No.353026
File: 1.45 MB, 400x270, InternetFight.gif [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google]

>>352969

Well, obviously it is proper decorum to be professional to clients. But, in my experience, it goes across the board (including internal correspondence). I've had to write proposals and briefs for the account manager because his writing skills are so horrific.

The point I'm making is that it seems to be generational, with those aged 30 to 50 being the worst offenders and those above and below having a greater notion.

>>352975

Also:

>since most likely you contribute jack shit
>someone as insignificant as you

Mr High and mighty right here, putting the masses in place before he goes off to save the world.

>> No.353027

My favorite is when you get a "professional" e-mail and the person's signature is brightly colored in comic sans and has a quote from Anne Frank or Mark Twain with images attached. It makes me face palm when I see people in my company doing this shit.

>> No.353028

>>353026
>since most likely you contribute jack shit
>someone as insignificant as you

thats how your bosses view you. they are not concerned with impressing you in the slightest

>> No.353048
File: 10 KB, 512x384, 1399590434368.png [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google]

>>353010
That's what happens when you stop showing up to work for a week.

>> No.353073
File: 11 KB, 261x183, 1378736_450706021717608_1641591835_n.jpg [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google]

Pretty much quit a job recently because they were all retarded technophobes like this. Only had 1 other millennial there.

Imagine people thinking snipping tool is magical new tech, being afraid of upgrading to windows vista, not googling basic tech issues they have, not knowing what the cloud is, and being afraid of new software.

All their emails were like "hello...I want you to do this...is this possible...do this"

Doing email as a batch task that you check at set times during the day is the best way to do it. That's what Tim Ferriss and all those guys say. If anything blows up its easy to pick up the damn phone.

Boomers are all retards who don't realize technology is a tool and how to work efficently.

All of us millenials will take over the world quickly anyways. We realize that computers rule the world. Entrepreneur life YOLO

>> No.353130
File: 81 KB, 259x377, 1376854716341.png [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google]

>>351125
Why would I leave a dildo in my arse if I wasn't trying to quit smoking?

>> No.354511

>>352981
Speaking of that, what's the best non-personal email provider? gmail?

(non personal = without buying your own domain name, which is probably the best looking of the lot.)

>> No.354539

>>352804
>I have never, or merely rarely received correspondence with anything more than two sentences and a name.
Business emails are supposed to be efficient. If your emails are longer than two or three sentences I doubt anyone is reading them.

Put the main point of your email in the subject line and 1-2 clarifying sentences in the body.

>> No.354547

>>354511
Gmail, Hotmail, Outlook are all ok. Having your own domain depends on your field.

>> No.354551

>>353130
But see that's just replacing one addiction with another.

>> No.354556

Get used to it basically.

Ive had jobs where my boss would habitually come in drunk, or I'd get drunk calls from clients late at night wanting to talk about shit while they're all half cut.

Don't stop being professional, but don't let it bother you, and if old people give you shit, just smile and go about your day, they're just angry cause they know they'll be dead soon.

>> No.354566

>be at university
>have no idea about classes
>Just know some buzzwords
>constasntly repeat them and paraphase from research papers not even understading them
>put lots of jokes
>they think I act like retard to be funny
>tfw nobody knows I am an actually retard

I am suprised no one figured it out yet.

>> No.354659

>>351100
Work in a top 10 IT company and literally encountered the same thing. I think I became 2x dumber after starting to work there actually (been going for a bit over a year).

>> No.354682

>>354556

We'll all be dead soon.

>> No.354698

The older generations grew up in a time where typing was a rare skill. That's bizarre to think about these days, but in the next few decades you will see that it will become a rarity again, as desktop computers will fall back into the realm of specialized tasks. Phones and tablets will be the personal computers of the future. In fact, that future is basically here now.

>> No.354710

>>354698
Genius prediction, how would /biz/ capitalize on this?

>> No.354728

>>351100

Get this all the time

>Be 21
>Work in Banking and LnD recruitment
>Conduct myself professionally
>Interview people going for 6 figure salaries every day
>Phone interview people before they come in for a behavioural interview, 50% of the time they make some comment on the phone about how useless young people are
>MFW they come in and interview with me

>> No.354796

>>353048
lol this

>> No.354803

>>354710
>Be CEO of Apple
Pick one

>> No.354805

>>351100
yup

i see it all the time.