[ 3 / biz / cgl / ck / diy / fa / ic / jp / lit / sci / vr / vt ] [ index / top / reports ] [ become a patron ] [ status ]
2023-11: Warosu is now out of extended maintenance.

/biz/ - Business & Finance

View post   

File: 356 KB, 466x350, 1386557566871.gif [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google]
308333 No.308333 [Reply] [Original]

Hi /biz/. I'm a high school senior, and I'm still undecided for my major. I don't really care what kind of work I do, as long as it (at least someday) gives Gordon Gekko levels of pay. What career paths present the greatest chances of becoming a multi-millionaire?

>> No.308335

I'm in the same boat as you right now, so this isn't going to be the best advice.

I would look where technology is heading in the future and be an early player in one of those. Follow news on whatever you decide on doing and find where the big players or early starters are.

I'm guessing that even if you end up part of a failed product like an app or a phone, you can still find work in that field with other successful ventures.

>> No.308344 [DELETED] 

Become an entrepreneur (but don't bother with an entrepreneurship degree, major in something actually useful to business like finance or accounting)

>> No.308357

My suggestion is simple: study finance or accounting (almost the same thing) and, after college, get a job on "Wall Street" (doesn't have to be on the actual Street, or even in New York--Warren Buffet is in Nebraska), learn what it takes to be a good manager ("boss"/leader), and work your way into management.

Or, if you're into computers, study IT and go that route.

The bottom line is this: You need technical, 21st-century skills.

>> No.308360

>>308333

What are your grades like? Are you good at math ? How much money do your parents/ family have to give you?

>> No.308361

>>308333
You're fucked. Become the next Bernie Madoff and scam smart.

>> No.308363

Buy bitcoin, learn to day trade cryptos.

>> No.308367

>>308333
Real estate speculation

>> No.308421

>>308333
whore yourself out immediately/ sell your soul.

Also you aint gonna get rich making someone else money. You need to ultimately plan to strike out on your own, preferably after like 15 years of industry experience though

Im a senior in college. trust me thawhen I tell you you will never really be "decided" on your major. Because all the interesting/ fun stuff doesnt pay jack shit, and all the boring hard stuff requires you to give up on your hopes and dreams

I went Econ/Finance double major with a Stat/ data analytics double minor

The courses are rough, the required credits are many, my gpa has taken a hit but I stuck with it and now ive got employers all over my dick.

my advice to you is to grab something in econ/finance/ stat/ math. you can go accounting or marketing if you never want to respect yourself.

Just know that you will always feel like a sell out, but at least youll be a sellout who makes bank

also network as much as possible. students, professors, everyone. make a linked in and stick with it. GET INTERNSHIPS IMMEDIATELY. and never agree to unpaid work after the summer of freshman year, that shit is for women and liberal arts majors

good luck

>> No.308443

>>308360
My grades are in the 3.5 range, but my test scores are super high (35 ACT/1550 SAT). I'm already finishing Calculus BC and AP Statistics. My family's willing to pay for my undergrad.

>> No.308497

>>308443
give us the SATs out of 2400 you prick, its not the 80s anymore

35 is a good ACT though, very good. I personally got a 2170, but that was without any of that test prep bullshit.

If you got through BC calc and AP stat than you really need to be a math major. If you got 5s on the exams you are coming in with at least a semesters worth of credits

Math major and minor in something that interests you. you literally cant go wrong

that 3.5 is gonna hurt you though. especially if you are white or asian. I was similar to you (3.4 GPA, 2170 SAT, bunch of SAT II and AP classes) and I got rejected by all my reach schools... meanwhile the ditzy brown girl with sub 1900 Sats gets full rides cause shes a helpless minortiy