[ 3 / biz / cgl / ck / diy / fa / ic / jp / lit / sci / vr / vt ] [ index / top / reports ] [ become a patron ] [ status ]
2023-11: Warosu is now out of extended maintenance.

/biz/ - Business & Finance

View post   

File: 655 KB, 460x426, Popcorn.gif [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google]
290866 No.290866[DELETED]  [Reply] [Original]

What are the best things you can do in Highschool to get into an Ivry league college?

>> No.290867

>>290866
Spell Ivy League correctly.

>> No.290869

>>290866
Learn that "high school" (two words) is not a proper noun.

>> No.290871

do your fucking homework for like six or seven hours every single day like your life depends on it and be sure to get 100% in every class. my sister did that and she could get in anywhere.

basically anyone who visits 4chan is already dead in the water.

>> No.290876

>>290871
Autists can get really high grades and test scores. That isn't what the Ivy Leagues want though. They want smart interesting students, not robots.

>> No.291014

>>290866
>Irvy league
>Irvy
You're already here pal, congrats!

>> No.291025

>>290866
I got an irvy league degree online for super cheap!

>> No.291029

>>290871

Those schools require perfect scores, but that perfect GPA/SAT only accounts for about 25% of your chances of getting in.

You can thank the Chinese and Indians for this. They basically did nothing but cheat and grind their way in and now the schools require more to deter all the asians away

>> No.291031

>>290866
be rich and white, or rich and asian

>> No.291070

Have perfect academic scores
Take AP classes
Participate in extra-curricular activities (as many as you can without making your grades suffer). One sport, and one or two intellectual activities like chess club or the debate team or model UN
Charity work once a month
Get very high SAT score
Write fantastic college application essays

And maybe you'll have a shot.

>> No.291072

>>291070
Plus be rich lol

>> No.291076

>>290866
Why do you give a shit

Statistically you dont make more money post-college if you attend ivy league verses any other college.

Youre probably some fucktard who wanted to major in theology anyway

>> No.291350

Four ways:

1. Work hard all through high school, getting perfect grades and taking as many AP classes as you have available, getting perfect scores on the SAT/ACT, and participating in more extracurriculars and volunteer work than should be humanly possible (Least likely way of getting in)

2. Do one big thing that gets your name out there, like becoming a hotshot daytrader or making the next Google before graduating

3. Be an average student, but be multiple forms of minority (paraplegic black lesbian)

4. Have parents that are either alumni or rich as fuck, and have them donate tons of money (Most likely way of getting in)

>> No.291357

>>291350
Our family friend is a very very important alumni of Yale who is willing to write me a letter of recommendation. I have a 3.5 GPA with an IB diploma, do I have any chance in hell?

>> No.291377

be a minority, poor, 4.0 gpa, perfect SAT, ACT, win some smart guy competitions, play a sport really well,

or

be born to a rich fag parent who is a legacy and/or have rich fag parents donate lots of money.

>> No.291391

>>291076
> Statistically you dont make more money post-college if you attend ivy league verses any other college.

That's not true.

http://online.wsj.com/public/resources/documents/info-Salaries_for_Colleges_by_Type-sort.html

Sory by mid-career median salary.

>> No.291400

>>291357

If he's very very important, then probably. Although usually people that high on the ladder wouldn't need to write a letter, they could just make a phone call.

>> No.291500

>>291400
That's pretty funny, I know a lot of people that would get fucking enraged if I got into yale with my mediocre grades.

>> No.291549

>>291076
[sarcasm] yeah there is no possible way to end up being richer after attending Ivy League schools. Surrounded by all those children of the rich and powerful. No possible way that being friends with all those trust fund legacy babies will land you a better job through networking. Ivy league is just a huge waste of time.[/sarcasm]

>> No.292945

>>290866
Have that High School be Choate.

>> No.293876

Assuming that you're a white male and you've already got a near perfect academic record there are a couple things you must do. If your one of the few blessed with natural athletic talent definitely do sports (especially one of the major sports like football, baseball, or basketball). This is probably the easiest way to get in. If that doesn't work do a shitload of community service, preferably focussing on the same general area of work (working with the mentally disabled for example). When I sa shitload I mean seriously devote a good portion of each week to this. Things like Debate can also help but only if you are seriously one of the best in the country. If you're just adequate noone will even notice you. Of course these requirements drop significantly if you're a women or are a member of a minority. This is especially true if you're black and being Native American is essentially an automatic in as long as you don't completely fuck up in school and maintain OK grades. You don't even have to be pure blooded, just as long as you can kind of pass yourself off as a member of the minority.
(cont)

>> No.293889

>>293876
Also don't listen to everything they tell you to do. They may say academics are the most important, but this isn't really true. Having a perfect GPA and taking every advanced class you can is essentially a requirement for getting in no matter what at this point. You'll never have a chance of getting in soley based on academics unless your a minority like I stated above or you literally have one national competitions and events based on academics. Also don't listen to them when they say it doesn't matter if in Sports and other competitive extra curriculars you were just average as long as it illustrates that "you have a passion and a focus". This is complete and utter bullshit they say to entice you to apply. They're a buisness and they care about propping up their own programs with the very best students (like I mentioned with debate). If you're performance is average you don't mean shit. Finally don't count on family connections to get you through. Family connections may have once been a decisive factor but that isn't true anymore unless you're parents or family are literally donating millions to the school. The connections will still help somewhat but don't count on it being to important.

>> No.293892

>>293889
>one instead of won

Fuck my grammar is bad today

>> No.294066

>>293892
>grammar

>> No.294098

Burn your money. This is what happens when you spend that kind of money on a degree anyway.

>> No.294106
File: 32 KB, 500x665, Hoatazn.jpg [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google]

>>290866

1. Be Asian
>or
2. Google

http://www.forbes.com/2009/03/27/get-into-harvard-college-opinions-contributors-harvard.html

>> No.294133

>>294106
Asians get super discriminated against due to that pro-black and women thing. I don't remember the name but it fucks Asians way more than White people. I think Asians have the lowest acceptance rate, followed by whites.

>> No.294180

>>294133

For the Ivy League schools, Asians score about 125 points higher on the SAT (1600 point version) than whites, Hispanics score about 150 points lower than whites, and blacks score about 300 points lower than whites.

For years, Princeton refused to release demographic data on their admissions citing privacy issues. It's obvious why.

I would say to an Asian to mark on his application that he's African-American. If he's accepted and they try to boot him out for lying, claim that he misread the application as saying Asian-American.

>> No.294773

>>294180
Another thing. If you're Asian you absolutely have to get 1600 to be even considered. It must suck being Asian. Whites and Asians should team up and destroy it.