[ 3 / biz / cgl / ck / diy / fa / ic / jp / lit / sci / vr / vt ] [ index / top / reports ] [ become a patron ] [ status ]
2023-11: Warosu is now out of extended maintenance.

/biz/ - Business & Finance

View post   

File: 78 KB, 611x758, saxophone-horse.jpg [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google]
283073 No.283073[DELETED]  [Reply] [Original]

Another shiftless NEET here. Hoping you can help me/humor me. I'm 23 and i graduated high school in 2008 and i haven't done anything since. I had a really high GPA and was planning on going to college after i graduated but i had a panic attack about the enormous debt i was going to incur right before i was going to accept it. I mean, holy shit im 18 and i'm going to to be $60k in debt? Fuck that. I withdrew my admission and took a year off to goof around, and then one year become two years, and so on until today. No job, no school, just blissful arrested development.

Tell me /biz/, is there any hope that i ever get my shit together? I have no career aspects at all. I never did. I was just a decent student.

>> No.283081

>>283073
>career aspects
top kek

Do you live at home? Why arent your parents beating you out back with a hose for being so useless?

>> No.283084

>>283081
I live at home. They were pretty upset when i told them i wasn't going but now i guess they just stopped caring. They've got their own problems but thats not what this thread is about.

>> No.283089

Your situation will not magically improve.

Since that seems to be what you're asking, I'd say you're fucked forever.

>> No.283087

Why didn't you go to a community college you fucking twat.

>1000 dollars a semester.

>> No.283088

>>283084
Give me a timeline of what you've done since 2008. That's nearly 6 fucking years of doing jack shit.

>> No.283095

>>283088
Video games, masturbating, anime, lots of good television and film, 4chan of course. Periodically i leave the home to do some shopping.

>>283087
But i wouldn't know what to major in. Eventually i would have to declare, right? I really do envy people who were born to be in a certain career. Master of nothing i truly am.

>> No.283111

>>283095
Get a golf degree

>> No.283132

>>283095
Buisness or pick something from a top 10 list of degrees

>> No.283130

>>283073
In the time you have spent doing fuck all you could have probably made that $60K and more doing some sort of unskilled labor work, a friend of mine was in a similar situation, basically shit him self over the fear of being in debt dropped out and ended up driving dump trucks for 2 years to make the cash to go back. basically what i am saying is that you should at least get a job until you decide what you want to do.

>> No.283166

>>283130
This.

Even minimum wage jobs would add up after a while if you live at home and have literally no living expenses.

>> No.283172

>become an Australian citizen
>go to university in Australia
>pay back the debt automatically after you start earning over a certain threshold (something like 50K or so)

Seriously, if you never earn over the threshold or if you never get a job and become a stay at home mum/dad you don't even have to pay the debt.

Fucking burgerland

>> No.283176

>>283166
>>283130
would a place like target or a grocery store hire someone with no job experience? if there's 10 people applying to the same position and they're all more qualified than i am, what hope do i have?

>> No.283184

>>283176
I've worked a lot of shit hospitality jobs (pretty much the same thing as shit retail) before I got into the real work force .

You won't be a preferred candidate, but someone will probably say yes after awhile. If I were you, I'd go around town and look for any stores with hiring signs. That means they're desperate for workers for whatever reason.

Keep going around town, find the stores that are hiring, and immediately go online and apply.

If you get a call back, you might have to think of a good excuse as to what you've been doing all this time (white lies are probably the easiest way to go), but at the end of the day, it's a minimum wage job. They're looking for someone who is friendly to the customers, who can handle cash without losing any of it, and who smiles.

Get a job, live as frugally as you can, and start getting some valuable skills (either through trade school or actual school).

>> No.283188

>>283176

> please tell me they wouldn't hire me so I can feel like I don't have to

/r9k/ pls go

This is what 6 years of inertia has done to you. You literally want people to shit on you so you can remain in a totally untenable situation.

How the fuck would we know? Go down there and find out.

>> No.283213

>>283176
Offer to work for free in a small shop/restaurant for the first month

Call it an "unpaid internship"

>> No.283229

I was in a similar situation to OP's but for only 2 years after school. Then I decided that I didn't want to be a piece of shit anymore. I work at a hospital now even without training or prior experience doing some admin stuff, and hopefully soon to be a med tech. It was actually pretty tough getting a job because I filled maybe 20 applications and interviewed at 7 or 8 of them. I even worked at a place that said they liked my work ethic for about 2 weeks before they cut me off. I might not be making much but it feels a shit ton better than living at home taking up space. I had a LOT of rejects, but that is pretty normal for a job hunter.

incidentally one of my parents got diabetes and the other diagnosed with stage 4 cancer a few years after I started working again, and they're barely keeping up with medical payments. Free stuff is great, but your mommy and daddy aren't going to be around forever. I would be pretty fucked if I was still being worthless at home. Dig yourself out of that hole while you can OP.

>> No.283233

>>283073
Just apply to every fucking job you can, someone has to say yes eventually. Some suggestions here

>warehouse jobs
A lot of picking things up and putting them back down, sometimes you get a pallet jack and it's easy shit. The benefit here is that most warehouse jobs start at about $10 an hour.

>factory jobs
Get yourself on an assembly line somewhere. The days are long, the work is boring, but once again you'll be making more than minimum wage and you'll have the opportunity for overtime.

>night stocker at a store
Little social interaction and the hours are usually late night to early morning, if you're like me when I've had a long period of not doing anything you are probably awake during this time anyway.

All of the above mentioned jobs start you off around $10 an hour. They're repetitive and end up being more muscle memory than anything. I've done something like all three at some point or another. The qualifications are usually that you have a pulse and can lift 50 lbs. The biggest thing I would stress is that if you have sight of something, don't lose it because of whatever shitty job you get. I know when I would come home from a day of staring at boxes I would just want to shut down and not do anything. Don't do this, be productive in your time off, and save your money every chance you get. Sign up for some CC classes if you want, maybe get some certificates so you can be gainfully employed and save up even more for university.

There is always hope.

>> No.283236

Thanks for the advice everyone. I will make an effort to find employment and once i've got that down, i will enroll in a college.

>> No.283249

>>283236
two words.
community. college. where I am it's a little over $50 per credit hour. so I paid about $600 for a full semester before I gained the balls to finish a bachelor's degree at a university (although now some of the CCs where I am are starting to offer that too). They even offer financial aid for that. you don't even need to take a whole semester if you're feeling rusty from being out of school

>> No.283337

>>283249
>you don't even need to take a whole semester if you're feeling rusty from being out of school

i believe you mean you dont even need to go full time.

>> No.283425

>>283073

Go to CC

Get a electronic engineering cert or a Comptia A+ cert, work as an apprentice journeyman / electrician or computer repair guy - sock away cash

Pursue the last two years when you feel financially stable enough

EMT and paramedic certs are good too.

>> No.283427

>>283095
>But i wouldn't know what to major in. Eventually i would have to declare, right? I really do envy people who were born to be in a certain career. Master of nothing i truly am.

Get a Mass Communications major or maybe English or History. The last two are worthless, you can blame your eventuall NEET joblessness on them

>> No.283654

>Go to community college
>Become a machinist
>have companies literally throw money at you because everyone went loltechjobs after school and machinists are retiring faster than they can be replaced

>> No.283779

>>283233
this is what im currently doing with a factory job. Just keep saving and educating yourself through books/internet. I know that feeling about just shutting down, usually 15-20 mins of music clears that up.

>> No.283801

>>283172
scumbag

>> No.283803
File: 227 KB, 800x534, meh.ro7954.jpg [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google]

>>283654
They only hire military machinist dumbfuck.
>>283073
If u have a car, go work on an oil rig. If u have no criminal record, apply for the service.

>> No.285318

Wow, hearing your story, OP, I'm very afeared for you. All of that time is just wasted, wow...

>> No.285321

>>283095
You are so indecisive and bitchy, that you instead of facing any of you're problems you went with I'll just live at home for 6 years instead. You have bigger problems than what major you would pick.

>> No.285361
File: 216 KB, 393x391, 1397401214705.png [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google]

>>283803

>> No.285364

>>283779
>I know that feeling about just shutting down, usually 15-20 mins of music clears that up.
Thanks for the advice, don't know why but it really speak to me.

What music do you listen to?

>> No.285375

>>283427

Recent BA History grad here, I can confirm that the degree is totally worthless.

I'm basically the same as OP except I went to college so my mom would be happy because she thinks it's 1975 and any degree at all = 300k starting any job I want.

If you were going to go to college just to go, OP, you made the right choice not going. I'm basically you plus a ton of student loan debt.

>> No.285376

I wouldn't think about waiting to go to school until your ready as fucking up.

I went to school when I was 18 and did nothing but drank and parties. I got a useless degree and a mountain of debt. Go to school because you want to learn something, not because your parents expect you to.

Go to community college now, study hard, find out what you want to do, transfer into a nicer school after 1-2 years.

>> No.285455

>>283073
OP, I also graduated in 2008 and completely understand. Ignore all these underage faggots and oldfags critisizing you. It is completely understandable that you've wasted 6 years of your life. It is totally believeable to me that you did almost nothing during those 6 years and your parents ignored it and you finally realized that 6 whole years have passed and part of your life has been wasted.

The world is rapidly changing around us and I cannot even comprehend what has happened in the last 6 years. 2008 was a completely different time period than 2014, it's insanity to think about how much has changed since then. Don't let the world go by like that, you'll simply become obsolete. As what most people have suggested, get a job, or just get off your computer. There's a world out there and it doesn't cost a lot to experience.

Your room is probably a mess, clean it up. If it's clean, organize it. Car might be a mess too, clean that up, including the inside. Finish all the side projects/tasks/goals you said you would do, but never completed. Go to an outlet mall, get some new clothes, burn your old high school clothes.

Isn't there ANY type of skill you've aquired in those 6 years? There has to be something, even if you're not the best at. Even something you may not think is valuable, might be useful.

>> No.286991

>>283073
>>283084
>>283095
OP you are quite a fag, and I say that as someone who was NEET for two years myself. Get enrolled in Community College and clear out some general required classes for cheap (or even at a net profit, if you snag financial aid), and while you're acing those courses, decide what STEM or creative field you want to go into.