[ 3 / biz / cgl / ck / diy / fa / ic / jp / lit / sci / vr / vt ] [ index / top / reports ] [ become a patron ] [ status ]
2023-11: Warosu is now out of extended maintenance.

/biz/ - Business & Finance

View post   

File: 20 KB, 225x224, download (1).jpg [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google]
27463178 No.27463178 [Reply] [Original]

on a day when im trading well:
>do 20 hours of research before making my buys, time a good entry point
>hit a good exit
>never time the bottom or the top exactly but get pretty fucking close
>take gains and use them to buy safe low volatility long term investments when they're on a dip

on a day when i'm trading bad:
>lose my ass immediately when the market opens
>start to get tilted
>panic sell my biggest red positions
>sell off some of my winners to paper over the losses
>then fomo buy back in and panic sell the same thing 30 times over the course of an hour losing a bit on each trade
>go full tilt
>start buying shit ive done literally no research on in hopes of hitting a miracle instant 10% return on
>sell that shit too when it stays neutral
>look at whatever is green and buy way otm options on it
>as soon as i get a small return on the options sell those too and then also sell the underlying because now I dont have the confidence that anything I see as green won't turn red

how do I stop doing this

>> No.27463401

>>27463178
you could start by not fucking day trading

>> No.27463889

>>27463401

No daytrader needs 20 fucking hours of research just to enter a trade.

>> No.27464091

>>27463178
anon, I just buy good companies that are undervalued or oversold and wait a few weeks to sell if they go up too fast (like 15% in two weeks).
If I lose money, I just wait to sell it for a profit. In three years, you're guaranteed to make gains so long as the companies are very good

>> No.27464665

>>27463401
>>27463889
im not predominantly a day trader but when I take a fat L especially right at market open I panic and start day trading (poorly)

>>27464091
buy and hold has been my most winning strategy over time but i also swing trade other stocks to add on to the stocks i have the longest time horizon for with those gains

my issue is when I start to see big losses I start doing dumb shit and compound on that loss instead of just cutting my losses cleanly. i'm still nicely profitable but i could be more profitable if i stopped doing that shit.