[ 3 / biz / cgl / ck / diy / fa / ic / jp / lit / sci / vr / vt ] [ index / top / reports ] [ become a patron ] [ status ]
2023-11: Warosu is now out of extended maintenance.

/biz/ - Business & Finance

View post   

File: 49 KB, 576x768, 6254435353.jpg [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google]
26233784 No.26233784 [Reply] [Original]

Can someone redpill me on this?
From what I understand RLC is more of a marketplace with interesting properties and every other "internet computer" like Dfinity are trying to be a "decentralized cloud service provider" or "AWS killer". AWS/google/MS can actually use iExec as a tool but Dfinity seems like a competitor to them.

So what's the ultimate purpose of a marketplace for cloud and data?
The ultimate purpose of dfinity is to steal market share from amazon and google

>> No.26233829
File: 75 KB, 600x400, dog_fit_31.jpg [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google]

>> No.26233978

>>26233784
They're both competitors to centralized cloud providers and each other.
Yes, centralized cloud providers can actually make money with iExec workers, they can't do it with Dfinity, but this isn't a big deal for them.

As a iExec holder I must admit that Dfinity has a more advanced infrastructure but to develop to Dfinity you have to learn a complete new architecture including a programming language that is a creepy mix of Go and Javascript while on iExec you just need to dockerize any existing application that you have.
So iExec is easier to get in from the developer point of view and that's what will decide the winner.

>> No.26234032

>>26233978
Also Dfinity token distribution scares me because the community only owns like 3% of the tokens, VCs, seed investors and Dfinity owns 97%.

>> No.26234429

>>26233978
but iExec can't really do "service" type operations like hosting a website(at least yet from what Gilles said), so I don't consider it a competitor in that sense.
It seems like iExec is something entirely different
And ew those tokenomics sound horrible

>> No.26234608

>>26234429
They're not doing it right now because they can't guarantee security (you can't use TEE everywhere, it's impractical), integrity and uptime. Once they start the with KYC and enterprise workers iExec will start hosting services

It's kinda like LINK verified nodes in order to provent Sybil attacks

>> No.26234962

>>26234608
Hmm interesting, I hope they show something about that then.

Either way I think RLC is probably a better investment due tot he reasons you stated