[ 3 / biz / cgl / ck / diy / fa / ic / jp / lit / sci / vr / vt ] [ index / top / reports ] [ become a patron ] [ status ]
2023-11: Warosu is now out of extended maintenance.

/biz/ - Business & Finance

View post   

File: 280 KB, 128x128, deathincarnate.gif [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google]
25028616 No.25028616 [Reply] [Original]

I have 62 college credits, but I'm honestly pretty damn stupid and I have no motivation to do anything. I'm 20 yrs old and I have 5 figures saved, but I quit my job because I hated it. I've thought about going to college to get a degree to let me teach english abroad or something. Not sure if I'm actually a fan of all the essays I'd have to do to get my degree though which is probably ironic and and a reason NOT to become an english teacher. Anyways, this is pretty much a ramble. I just don't know what to do in my life, but I do know I hate retail work because those are the only jobs I've ever had.

>> No.25028693

>>25028616
Give me a list of majors you’d take and I’ll tell you which ones are worth wild

>> No.25029837

>>25028693
I don't know what majors I'd take. That's part of the fucking problem. I've been tempted lately to drop ALL my money into stocks though.

>> No.25030005

Only if it is in STEM or to be a doctor. That is it. Other than that universities now days are indoctrination institutions. Hell even back when I went to college 20 years ago they were pretty bad, now they are even worse. Its far more worth your time to work making money than going in debt for 4 years just to have to then start paying it off. The "everyone must go to college" mantra people have been sold for decades is a scam, the sooner people learn than the sooner these corrupt institutions can die.

>> No.25030344

>>25028616
Probably not; I went to college "to find myself" and "i'd figure it out after the first year" based on boomer advice.

Huge mistake; I paid a ton to be babysat while I acted like a drunk

Now I'm in a ton of debt that forces me to work a job I dont like.

Don't be like me anon; only go to college if there is a career you feel deeply passionate about and there is no other way of obtaining training. Community college and the Trades are a good bet if you are not able to get scholarships.

Higher education is pretty fucked up at the moment and there is no guranteed roi

Id would have prefered to work in the field I was interested in for six months before committing on a degree

>> No.25030688

>>25029837
If it’s not for nursing or electrical engineering, I’d opt out of college anon. How do you feel about manual labor? Maybe thinking of being a plumber or HVAC technician by going to trade school. If you really want to teach English abroad, get the absolute cheapest bachelors by doing as much community college as possible and whatever has the lowest tuition in your state. Maybe try torrenting photoshop and some online graphic design courses and see if that interest you, blender is free and has tons of free tutorials online. Maybe even try producing trap beats to make some side money while you work at target for $15/hour. Be realistic man.

>> No.25030990

What state do you live in (if you don’t mind me asking)? I think going to state school would be good for you. and depending on the state, it could be relatively cheap. It may motivate you towards a specific field. What interests you about English if you don’t like writing?
If you major in something versatile, you could switch things up if/when you go to grad school.
Do it cheaply. If you get into a good state school, you’d only be forking out ~20k to complete your bachelors, which is much as a new Prius, but infinitely more valuable.
Don’t listen to horror stories about people getting out of college and working at starbux. If you do it right, get an internship, pay cheap, build relationships with profs and others in your field, it’s worth it. Get a government job preferably. Being that you may want to be an educator, if you work in the right state you can be comfy.
Lot of times one can get hired through the internship.
Don’t be a dummy I guess. All these people coming out of school with no hope/ no career potential did it all wrong. They like to blame the system when in fact it’s themselves to be blamed.
Going to community college was the smart thing to do btw. I would t encourage anyone to go straight to university. That, in fact, is what dummies do.
Dummies go to private schools as freshman and incur 80k of debt for a bullshit degree.
You really can’t go wrong transferring to a state school at your position.
...I’d like to ask though... what’s holding you back?? I mean, the fact that you’re asking us means that know in your gut it’s probably the right thing to do.

>> No.25031311

>>25030990
I live in North Carolina. English interests me mainly because I'm actually pretty good at the subject, and I've always gotten good grades (When I put in the effort). The only thing holding me back from attending college is the money. That's literally it. I filled out the FAFSA and got like $8k in aid, but I decided not to attend because I didn't know if taking out the loans for the rest of the cost would be worth it. I'd have to dorm on campus which is honestly a scam, but I'd need to live nearby otherwise and nobody is going to rent to a 20yr old without a job.

>> No.25031350

Also OP. I also recently found that I'd be interested in an international affairs/studies type of degree. Not really sure how you'd leverage this to get a job though.

>> No.25031783

>>25031311
Doing math, $211 per credit hour, for 58 credits would put your bill at $12,238 for tuition. Plus $650/mo for 24 months: 15600, plus other expensese... idk I’d say about $40,000 for those two years.
You could get a lease. Youd probably have to kick it with a couple roommates though. At least try. Ishnallah.
Btw loans won’t be that bad. Just don’t waste your funds on weed or eating out/whatever. Not that I think you would, just a lot of peeps do that and it breaks my heart when they make that a priority over school.
I find that the financials of it aren’t that bad. On top of that, the government may pay gibs here soon. My risk assessment may be different than yours though.

>> No.25031869

>>25031783
Oh, and please don’t fall for the manual labor meme. I was a land surveyor for two years and although I could pull well, the environment and people you’d have to work with isn’t worth it. Again, just my assènent on it. Plenty of people are happy with that. Do what your gut says.