[ 3 / biz / cgl / ck / diy / fa / ic / jp / lit / sci / vr / vt ] [ index / top / reports ] [ become a patron ] [ status ]
2023-11: Warosu is now out of extended maintenance.

/biz/ - Business & Finance

View post   

File: 2.18 MB, 3264x2448, 20140322_005126_HDR.jpg [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google]
231186 No.231186 [Reply] [Original]

Let's have a credit card general

No credit
Bad credit
What's your favorite card? What are the benefits?

>> No.231195

I don't have no credit or bad credit, but if you do I would suggest a basic card through your bank.

>favorite card
Anything that lets you get cash back on purchases (no fees for just having the card of course)

>> No.231202

You could at least write "credit card general" on the subject line.

I'm still waiting on my discover it card.

>> No.231244

I just got the student Discover it card and they said my credit was 710. I just got it to build credit.

>> No.231248

used to have a score of 7xx until i quit my job had had to live off my credit card lel. tanked to 5xx

my only card is some capital one student card. i have a points program where i can save up enough point and i get some stupid shit like a lava lamp or just a credit for my account. had a 0% interest for intro period, i think its like >3% now. i paid for a payment protection plan so that if i become unemployed they'll make my minimum payment each month for up to a year.

all in all i cant complain

>> No.232140
File: 91 KB, 351x251, it-card-art.png [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google]

Ive got a 730 Credit Score
currently favorite card is my Discover IT
>5% rotating cash back
>1% everywhere else
>15mo no interest when i signed up
>extended warranty
>price guarantee
And 100% US based CSR, its pretty awesome

>> No.232178

>>231202
>>231244
>>232140
>discover IT card

Wow, literally the shittiest card out there. Good job guys.

American Express Blue Cash Reward Card is my favorite. I also have a Bankamericard that's good. Both of these are better than the Discover Shit Card.

>> No.232199

>>231186
>What's your favorite card? What are the benefits?

From best to worst

>Capital One Quicksilver
No annual fee or foreign transaction fee
1.5% cash back on everything with no points bullshit
$100 bonus after $500 on purchases within the first 3 months

>Discover it
Free credit score on every statement
1% cash back with alternating 5% back on random things (up to $1,500 per quarter then 1%)

>BankAmericard Cash Rewards
No annual fee but bullshit 3% foreign transaction fee
Optional chip
1% cash back with 2% back on grocery stores and 3% on gas (up to $1,500 per quarter then 1%)
$100 cash rewards after $500 in purchases within 90 days

>BankAmericard Travel Rewards
Free chip
1.5% back but only with bullshit travel miles
$100 travel bonus after $500 in purchases within 90 days

>Blue Cash Everyday from American Express
No annual fee but bullshit 2.7% foreign transaction fee
1% cash back with 3% back on grocery stores and 2% on gas (capped to $6,000 per year and then 1%)
$50 bonus + 1 year of (new) Amazon Prime membership after $1000 on purchases within the first 3 months

>Chase Freedom
No annual fee but bullshit 3% foreign transaction fee
1% cash back with alternating 5% back on random things (up to $1,500 per quarter then 1%)
$100 cash rewards after $500 in purchases within 3 months
Option to get it as a Visa or MasterCard (pretty much the only good MasterCard out there)

>> No.232216

>>232178
Well I'm a student and only my second card, going for Amex next

>> No.232264

>>232216
Why would you have more than two cards? I'm an adult and I have two cards, not a student going onto three cards.

The Discover Shit card is bad because you essentially only get 1% on your purchases. Sure, they offer 5%, or 6% I forget, on specific purchases but when it's a three month period of 5% back on movie tickets and restaurants then I don't give a shit. In random categories throughout the year, so like 4 weird categories. I'd rather get 2% and 3% on every grocery and gas purchase, all year long, seeing as I consistently purchase those. It makes more economic sense. How many movies tickets am I going to buy? Now ask any normal human being, how much more they'd spend on gas and groceries combined; 9/10 you'd bet your ass you'd want cash back on that instead.

Plus the Discover Shit card has higher interest rates. Though that shouldn't matter because you should be paying your credit bill every month and holding minimal debt but either way, you'd get a higher rate with Discover. There should never be an annual fee unless your spending habits warrant a card that gives you benefits to outweigh the fee.

>> No.232274

>>232264
More cards = higher credit score. Always.

As long as you don't have any (or more than 1) with annual fees there's no reason to not have lots.

>> No.232325

>>232264
lol, you just explained exactly why you'd want multiple cards. Use your Amex for gas and groceries, then if you go out to a restaurant use the card that gives 5% back for restaurants.

>> No.232353

>>232264
>Why would you have more than two cards

Different networks (Visa, MasterCard, Discover, American Express) have different acceptance rates in different stores/countries
More benefits choices to maximize rewards
More credit accounts increase the available credit you have, lowering your utilization and thus raising your score
More credit account harden you average account age so new loans/cards won't have a big impact on your score nor will canceling cards

>I'd rather get 2% and 3% on every grocery and gas purchase, all year long, seeing as I consistently purchase those. It makes more economic sense

You're discover card isn't stopping you from using other cards. Use a Blue Cash AMEX for 3% on grocery, BankAmericard for 3% on gas, Chase Freedom/Discover for 5% whenever it for something you use, and Quicksilver/BankAmericard to get 1.5% on everything else. Maximizing your benefits require at least 3-4 cards minimum that all come with no annual fees. Other free co-branded cards like Amazon.com Rewards can raise you're benefit hirer if you use certain places a lot.

>> No.232356

>>232325
No, I just explained being fiscally irresponsible. Of course, you ought to spend your money however you want, but I'd rather not be incentivized to spend my money based on revolving rewards programs. Even if I did catch the right reward period, at the right time for restaurants I'd have to keep up with it periodically and then actually spend money in the category for that period to see any significant cash back rewards, which would be overall insignificant. Wasting time keeping up with these revolving programs, remembering them is a hassle and can be better spent.

>> No.232421

>>232178
I like Discover It for the shopping and restaurant 5% rotating bonuses. Plus the free FICO scores is nice. And the gift card rewards on the redemption shop are all discounted a bit. Only bad thing I see about the card is the fact that Discover isn't accepted at as many places as Visa or Mastercard.

It's a fine card, in my opinion.

Anyways, right now I use my Capital One Quicksilver the most, since I get 1.5% cash back on everything. My Discover It is also good for the 5% cash back on restaurants, though that's about to end. I also really like my Sallie Mae World Mastercard, which gives me 5% back on gas, groceries, and bookstores (Amazon counts as a bookstore).

>> No.232955

>>232356
>I'd rather not be incentivized to spend my money based on revolving rewards programs

So you never use coupons or buy anything on sale because it's too much of a hassle to check prices and wait?

>> No.233002

Reposting from a different thread.

Does everyone start with 0 credit? I just check my credit score for the first time and I have 664. Is it because of the student loans I took out?

>> No.233008

>>232178
>shittiest
Really? The only card that gives you your FICO score for free on every statement and one of probably just a few with a decent rewards program is shitty?

>> No.233010

>>233002
Student loans are a line of credit, so they count on your score.

>> No.233020
File: 9 KB, 366x142, Clipboard01.jpg [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google]

Protip: Don't try to build up a bunch of airline miles. Eventually you'll be stuck with more than you can realistically use.

>pic related

>> No.233146

>>233002
Student loans are 4+ years of "paid" as planned credit history for free (assuming they're subsidized) on your report.

>> No.233148

>Amazon Visa
>No Annual Fee
>3% on amazon purchases, including shipping and sales tax
>2% on food, gas and other random things
>1% everything else

I buy a lot of shit on amazon so I've been racking up a fuckton of points.

>> No.233167

Canadian rab/biz/ here
>740 score

Cards from best to worst
>Capital One Aspire Travel
2% back if used towards travels/lodging
1.5% if used for straight cash
Can freely choose either option, you're not locked in
Numerous travel coverages, including delays, insurance, and more
Also includes warranty extension, price protection, etc
$120 a year, but you're given $100 worth of travel points a year

>MBNA Smart Cash World
2% cashback if used on gas/groceries
1% otherwise
Includes price protection, warranty, etc.
No annual fee

>Scotiabank Visa
Accumulate points for free movies
No annual fee

>CIBC Visa
No annual fee
Fuck these guys

I'm looking into getting an Amex, but not many retailers accept them in Canada

>> No.233193

>>232178
>Using literally incorrectly
Hoo boy check out this aspie

Anyway, the Discover IT is fantastic when the holiday shopping season rolls around. Being able to get large amounts of CB (max is 25% I believe) is nice as fuck. Made a good $250 in CB this past Christmas when I signed up.

>> No.233555

>>232274
But that's wrong. Apply for too many credit cards, i.e., more than 1, in timeframe of about 1-2 months will tank your credit score.

>> No.233559

My cards:

>American Express Blue Cash Everyday
3% CB on groceries, 2% gas, 1% everything else

>Chase Freedom
5% on rotating categories, 1% everything else

>Discover It
5% on rotating categories, 1% everything else

>Citi Forward
"5%" FuckYou points at restaurants, the points are fucking worthless. I never use it but keep it open for credit score purposes, it's my first card.

I just got the Discover, credit score on every balance sheet is fucking awesome. For some reason they're the only ones that gave me a low interest rate though. I pay in full anyway but still.

Any other cards I should get for maximum rewards coverage?

>> No.233561

I swear to God, credit score is the stupidest fucking invention of the modern era. And anytime you imply that it has no real value when so many people are just playing the system, some retard apologist comes in and goes "No, it's actually a valid metric! I eat toe fuzz!"

>> No.233567

>>233559
i think you have plenty. You are cut off

>> No.233571

>>233561
Yeah reform the system and we should all use the goodness of mankind and the classic "i swear on me mam m8 i pay u bak"

>> No.233572

>>232264
>Plus the Discover Shit card has higher interest rates.

My discover is my lowest by far at 11%.

For some reason despite my 760 credit score, my Citi and AMEX are still at 21% and my Chase is at 19%. They wouldn't reduce it when I called. What the fuck is up with that?

I pay in full every month so it doesn't matter but what happens if I actually have an emergency and need to use the cards beyond my immediate spending ability? I'd have to pay that usury.

>> No.233573
File: 13 KB, 669x183, credit.png [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google]

>>233561
I eat toe fuzz

>> No.233580

>>233571

More sensible than the funhouse economics of "credit score".

>> No.233583

>>233148

That sounds like heaven. Are you familiar with any other credit cards for sites like NewEgg, Ebay or online stores?

>> No.233584

>>233580
It's a go then!

Now we need to outline what organ parts to take for delinquent payments. This will he extremely successful I believe seeing you can judge a person's credit worthiness by how many renaming body parts they have left.

>>233583
Don't get store cards.

>> No.233587

>>233584
why not? What is wrong with store cards?

>> No.233592

>>233584

You are one sad, irrational little man.

>> No.233607

>>233592
sounds like someone has a bad credit score. it's your own fault, deal with it.

>> No.233618

>>233607
>deal with it

Indeed, a bad credit score is extremely easy to deal with. The credit score system has many well-known exploits which are regularly used by millions of people.

>> No.233639

>>233618
Tell us about them.

>> No.234578

>>233148
Might want to look into the Sallie Mae mastercard.

https://www.salliemae.com/credit-cards/sallie-mae-card/

5% back on Amazon for the firs $750 spent monthly. Might be worth it to you to have.

>> No.234579

>>233559
>>234578

>> No.234593

Hey fellas, is there an easy way to get your current credit score (the numbers, not the report)?

>> No.234598

>>234593
Also how often do you wait between each card to apply for a new one?

So far I have a Capital One quicksilver and just got a Chase Freedom... I want to collect at least 5 credit cards but dunno how long I should wait between getting applying.

>> No.234618

>>234593
You can't get your numbers without paying for it. I suppose CreditKarma is the only free solution to this, but their scores are highly inaccurate.

Also, I usually wait 6 months or so before I apply for a new CC.

>> No.234634

>>233020
Can you sell them? I'd definitely buy some off of you.

>> No.234638

>>234618
Can you recommend me a good pay service to get my score then?

I had one before but it was hell to cancel after I was done.

>> No.234644

>>234618
>>234593

anualcreditreport.com

>> No.234649

>>234644
fuck me, it's annualcreditreport.com

spelling...

Anyway it's a federal mandate that you are entitled to one free credit report from each of the 3 companies that track your credit a year.

>> No.234653

>>233618
yes please do tell

>> No.234656

>>234649
IRCC they don't actually give you the score, just the report.

>> No.234674

Can somebody explain how miles work?

I do like to travel a lot and can see myself using them, but how efficiently can I realistically get a free round trip? Is it super hard?

>> No.234680

>>234656
score is in the report no?

>> No.234693

>>234680
Nope; the law doesn't say they have to give the score away; just the report.

You can pay for it, or many credit cards are starting to print your score on your statements.

>> No.234791

>>233584
>Don't get store cards.
My Macy's card gives me incredible deals and discounts when I use it. The key is to not use it for anything else and pay it the fuck off.

>> No.234849

Recent college grad trying to get first credit card to build credit. Have job right now but no credit at all and was rejected for the Capital One Platinum card (was recommended for someone like me). What the fuck can I get with no credit history?

>> No.234870

According to creditkarma I have a score of 680. However I've been denied a credit card multiple times. Can anyone guess why?

>>232140
Is this card only for people above 700+?

>> No.234907

>>234849
Do you know someone with secure credit?

I got my start and got the exact card you applied for when I was 18 because my dad put me on his credit account and I got history from him.

If you don't, I'm pretty sure a secure card is the only way.

>> No.234909

>>234870
What cards have you applied for?

Most of the cards discussed ITT are for 700+ scores.

Pretty much any card with decent rewards require 700+.

You need to go for something entry level, maybe even something with an annual fee to start with.

>> No.234919

>>234870
Also score is only part of the puzzle, history is very important as well as how much credit you have available to you.

>> No.234924

>>234909
2 store cards and the discover It =/

>> No.234933

I accidentally applied for too many cards within a short time frame and my score tanked. I always pay them off on time though. Will my score go back up or did I goofed?

>> No.234962

>>234598
Myth has it you can get away with applying for them all on the same day as it counts as one hard credit pull but waiting 3 months should be good enough; especially since you want to get the sign up bonus most good card have for using it enough in 3 months.

>>234593
Lazy way is to get a Discover it card (look for the one with $150 sign up bonus) or a Barclaycard card (like the Sallie Mae MasterCard mentioned above) that gives it to you for free on your statements.

>>234674
1 mile = 1 point = 1 penny you can ONLY spend on approved travel expenses

>> No.234961

>>234933
they should go away in 2 years after they were applied for

>> No.234973

>>234962
>1 mile = 1 point = 1 penny you can ONLY spend on approved travel expenses
You're better off with direct cash back. Frequent Flyer miles ain't what they used to be and you end up "paying" more for tickets. I noticed this with my rewards (for example, they wanted 30,000 points for a flight that ticket price was $210. You're essentially paying $90 extra when you break it down, because 30,000 points would otherwise be $300 cashback)

>> No.234994

>>232274
>Capital One Quicksilver
I have five credit cards. Just signed up for the Cap. quicksilver card because my current cap. one card only gives 1%. Not sure if it improves my credit score but I like knowing that I can have a 10k instant loan at my disposal. If you are not using a card that gives you 1% back or more you are throwing away money with every transaction.

>> No.235005

>>232264
Discover cards do not have annual fees. They stopped doing that years ago.

>> No.235041

>>233572
interests rates literally do not matter at all. if you are the type of person to ever have a late payment it means you can not control your spending and should not have any credit cards

>> No.235827

>>234973
To make up for it they typically have higher rewards rates at 1.5-2.2%

But yeah, you're better off depositing a cash back card into a travel account if you want to force yourself into saving for trips.

>> No.235982

Anyone got the Skrill Mastercard? Im considering it since i only got a Maestro which is almost impossible to pay with when you by stuff online.