[ 3 / biz / cgl / ck / diy / fa / ic / jp / lit / sci / vr / vt ] [ index / top / reports ] [ become a patron ] [ status ]
2023-11: Warosu is now out of extended maintenance.

/biz/ - Business & Finance

View post   

File: 105 KB, 326x499, 1496598545875.jpg [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google]
2283779 No.2283779 [Reply] [Original]

Would u recommend me this book?
Looks like its filled with obvious shit like invest in value.

Any other book recommendations about investing or other /biz/ related things?

>> No.2283790

The Turner Diaries

>> No.2284597

1/2

>>2283779
Tl;Dr: If you're interested in the markets, then don't pass off one of the Holy Grails as being nothing more than, "...filled with obvious shit like invest in value." Read the book numerous times, and completely understand it. Don't come here spouting simpleton shit like that. Before reading The Intelligent Investor, you should read the introductory lessons on Investopedia, then read The I.I., follow it up with a book called "Security Analysis", and then read a textbook on Corporate Finance so you can learn how to use excel to research shit. That'll give you your barebones fundamentals. Then search up, "Michael Burry Case Study".

People here will tell you that it's irrelevant now, because there's nothing called an 'undervalued' or 'overvalued' stock anymore, and that all news & future profit projections made by large trading institutions are priced into the stock's current value. A.k.A perfect efficient markets. Even Buffett stated at his last Berkshire Hathaway shareholders meeting about how the market really doesn't allow for the retail investor to succeed in picking undervalued stocks anymore, and that they'd make better returns investing long-term in an ETF or something like.. heh.. BRK.A. So yeah, the moral of the story is to just come to understand that some of the stuff Buffett says is just complete marketing bullshit.

Anyways, on to my, and the many others who have successfully predicted market events in the past twenty years view on markets.

Markets aren't nearly as efficient as many people are led to believe—it's pretty damn efficient, but to think that the stock's current price is its true underlying value is ridiculous. Corruption in the free markets will always exist, and there'll always be over-reaction to events that affect companies.

>> No.2284673
File: 7 KB, 420x420, 1495478961868.png [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google]

>>2284597
Thanks for your 2 cents anon.

Will pick this one up, with some other books next week.

I have read a lot of "self improvement" books and at a certain point you will find few that still bring you unique value.
I have not read a lot of financial books, so I am glad to hear that this is a "holy grail" of that category.

>> No.2284739

Buy Winners, Short Losers
What's the big deal?
Who needs a book to do that?

>> No.2284750
File: 613 KB, 465x462, ariana_afterparty.png [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google]

Not for a crypto investor.

However, if you're interested in learning yes.

Diversify, diversify, diversify. And you only make money when you sell.

>> No.2284822

>>2283779
What the fuck happen to this board, there used to be alot more stock and financial books related threads now if you look at the catalog more than 90% is crypto coin stuff

>> No.2285082

>>2284822
Biz is an isolation board to prevent /g/ from becoming a cryptoboard

>> No.2285140

>>2283779
The Intelligent Investor's best benefit isn't in the information it provides to you, but the way it affects your psychological mindset whenever it comes to investing.

Let me share with you my story on how I relied on the intelligent investor to win a debate & money regarding the market. About two months ago at a family gathering, my brother who just graduated with a degree in Economics started discussing how it will take United years to recover from how they ripped that guy off their plane, and that the event was absurd. I stated how the markets have probably over-reacted to the event, that the stock's current price does not reflect the company's true value, and that a good earnings call from the company will help the stock completely rebound from the event not in a matter of years, but weeks.

He retorted by asking me if I thought the markets aren't efficient. I stated my views, but he called me out by saying shit like, "So you honestly think that you are going off of better information than the hundreds of investment institutions who spend all of their time creating the pricing models which are reflected in the stock's current value, and that PR events of this magnitude don't affect a company's stock performance?" I just stuck to my guns, because I knew some basic shit about the airline market just from knowing the bullshit you have to go through at an airport.

I stated how the dip from the event wasn't caused by poor company earnings, but from investors working off of emotions rather than facts. I stated how the PR event would be swept under the rug in a very short amount of time, and that they'll probably settle it outside of court with an undisclosed amount of money. I said that the average American who would've chose United before the P.R. event would have, more than likely, still chosen United even after the event. He said that I was crazy if I thought that I'd make money in the short-term. It's nearly up 10% since then.

>> No.2285327

>>2285140
The sad thing is that everyone at the party thought that I was the one who was wrong. He brought up the P. R. Disaster that happened whenever Coke changed their formula in the 90's, and how their stocks suffered. I kept telling him that nothing in United's pricing model would change, and that the weight he thought the PR disaster had on the stock's value was wrong. I just went back to stating that cash is king, and a good earnings call will single-handedly erase the losses the stock suffered from the event. I also peppered in how United would probably gain passengers because of how accustomed Americans are to publicly-traded companies implementing more consumer-friendly policies very quickly after events like this, and from ambulance-chasers attempting to do something similar for cash. (It happened.)

I didn't know anything about the company, other than the P.R. event happened near the very tail end of their quarter, and that their earning call wouldn't even reflect much of potential l the fallout seen from the event.

So I won the bet, and I'll sometimes bring up some shit about it every now and again to him. Would I have ever debated someone who had a degree in Economics about this before reading The Intelligent Investor? The answer is fuck no. The book gives you the balls to call out people's bullshit.

>> No.2285397

>>2285327
Ok
how about CMG's e. coli issues
unless you expect the stock to double overnight it will take years to reach it's original share price, if ever

>> No.2285473
File: 312 KB, 539x547, banette.png [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google]

>>2283779

"Buy ETH and HODL"

Better investment advice than this entire book, and free.

>> No.2285484

>>2285327

Good posts. I think the markets are highly efficient, but not perfectly efficient. There is a lot of money to be made in these short-term inefficiencies if you know how to read them. I leave it to the academics to argue about that shit. I just like making money.

>> No.2285529

>>2285140
>He retorted by asking me if I thought the markets aren't efficient.
The thing is markets are efficient in the long term
They eventually converge on a price which reflects the information available. This 'eventually' can be weeks or days or years though.

>> No.2285542

>>2284822
There should be a dedicated /coin/ board so all the shills and roleplayers can fuck off and leave actual /biz/nessmen alone.

>> No.2285565

>>2283779
Sure but get the new edition with notes that adjust the book for modern times.

>>2284822
Tbh that was the reason I first started coming here

>> No.2285576

>>2284597

This is an excellent response.

>> No.2285577

>>2283779
Excellent book.

#1 read.

I'm still too stupid to understand it though.

>> No.2285676

I'm reading "Blockchain Revolution" right now and I think that's a great read to understand the implications of cryptocoins.

Always loved "Rich Dad Poor Dad", but it will instantly ruin you as an employee. I like a couple others Kiyosaki did too called "Cashflow Quadrant" and "Rich Dad's Guide to Investing".

Check out William O'Neil's work and Investor Business Daily if you want to learn some trading stuff. You can get some real tactical shit about reading charts going through that material.

>> No.2285820

>>2285397
My argument wasn't that P.R. events can't detrimentally affect a company's stock, but that the stock drop seen in United's P.R. disaster was being blown out of proportion. We can't compare the two events, because they're:

A.) Two different industries. Sure, they're both customer-service driven industries, but a person being hurt and thrown off of an overbooked United Flight for not wanting to leave the plane whenever their name is called, isn't nearly the same as your main cash producing asset being detrimentally tainted by a deadly bacteria. It's also much easier for the hungry consumer to eat at a restaurant that serves the same food up the road, and not have to feel like they are eating something tainted with e. Coli.

B) Frequent flyers are usually deeply invested in a particular airline. To the point where protesting United by suddenly flying on another airline over this particular P.R. disaster would be costly for them in the long run.

However, if news broke about how a vast amount of United's planes were falling into disrepair, and many of those planes were burning up & crashing, then I could strike some parallels between the two.