[ 3 / biz / cgl / ck / diy / fa / ic / jp / lit / sci / vr / vt ] [ index / top / reports ] [ become a patron ] [ status ]
2023-11: Warosu is now out of extended maintenance.

/biz/ - Business & Finance

View post   

File: 1.99 MB, 311x362, 1496888914320.gif [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google]
20694684 No.20694684 [Reply] [Original]

Are mutual funds safe to invest in now?

I ask this after investing about $700k into 4 mutual funds-- US, Emerging Asia, China and Europe based funds that have a mix of equities and corporate high yielding bonds.

Not sure wtf i'm doing but the fact that there is so much diversification in these funds I feel safe.

Am I safe? FUck

>> No.20694730
File: 11 KB, 250x240, 1497140892812.jpg [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google]

the fact that these mutual funds have hundreds of stocks and bonds in them makes me relatively safe, right?

>> No.20694732

>>20694684
How do brainlets get this much money to throw at random investments..
fuck.. I wish I was born rich.

>> No.20694765

>>20694732
>random investments

they're not really random. I picked them based off geographic markets.

but I still kind of have no idea wtf I'm doing but its at least safer than investing in crypto or individual stocks, right?

>> No.20694776

WAIT FOR ANOTHER DIP

>> No.20694823

>>20694776

I'm keeping $150k in cash in my account, just in case. Also I see some nice tech IPO's in the near future thats pretty sure to make a profit.

IPO's i'm referring to are ANT/ JD and BAIDU. Can't go wrong with those.

>> No.20694915

>>20694765
If that 700k is all your invesment capital, then going all in equities and corporate bonds isn't really diversifying.

If you want true diversification, you should also have some money in REITs, and some sort of "alternative" investment. Macro/commodity hedge fund ideally (if you go into a long equities fund, then you're just pouring more money into equities).

Oh, and don't waste big money on actively managed equity/fixed income mutual funds. ETFs have much lower fees, which are a big determining factor in long term results. Google and read papers, there's ton of academic research on the subject.

For the "alternative" investment category there's no much getting away from active management, but at least you're paying for something far more advanced/complex than a fat bastard picking stocks based on indicators than an amateur investor probably understands just as well.

>> No.20695067
File: 30 KB, 436x400, 1498705512619.jpg [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google]

>>20694915
>then going all in equities and corporate bonds isn't really diversifying.

How so? Because I see from the fact sheets theres hundreds of companies in there; how can it not be diversified if the fund is based on the performance averaged over hundreds of reputable companies?

is there something else that I should be aware of? like currency or interest rates? because I'm aware now that much of my funds are exposed in USD. will I be screwed if something happens to the USD?

>Oh, and don't waste big money on actively managed equity/fixed income mutual funds. ETFs have much lower fees, which are a big determining factor in long term results. Google and read papers, there's ton of academic research on the subject.

I'm looking for monthly dividends and I have no idea what i'm doing. So I guess a mutual fund will offer me a hands off approach with distributions each month-- like a salary.

>If you want true diversification, you should also have some money in REITs, and some sort of "alternative" investment. Macro/commodity hedge fund ideally (if you go into a long equities fund, then you're just pouring more money into equities).

any recommendations?

>> No.20695662

any advice guys?

>> No.20695717

The Atlas Funds (the "Trust") has obtained an exemptive order (the "Order")
from the U.S. Securities and Exchange Commission that permits the Trust to
change sub-advisers for a fund of the Trust (the "Fund," collectively the
"Funds") and to enter into new sub-advisory agreements without obtaining
shareholder approval. Any such changes must be approved by a majority of the
Trustees who are not "interested persons" of the Trust within the meaning of
that term under the Investment Company Act of 1940 ("Independent Trustees"). A
majority of Independent Trustees approved the changes regarding NYLIM and
Renaissance on August 20, 2004. A majority of Independent Trustees approved the
retention of Boston Safe on November 19, 2004. Under the Order, the Trust must
furnish shareholders of each affected Fund with certain information regarding
the sub-advisers. The enclosed Information Statement is intended to comply with
that condition. The Trust is paying the costs of the preparation of the