[ 3 / biz / cgl / ck / diy / fa / ic / jp / lit / sci / vr / vt ] [ index / top / reports ] [ become a patron ] [ status ]
2023-11: Warosu is now out of extended maintenance.

/biz/ - Business & Finance

View post   

File: 42 KB, 300x100, 248.png [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google]
19877085 No.19877085 [Reply] [Original]

What would you choose and why?
$82K working at a private company
$54K working at a state government company (with pension)

Anyone here work for a state government that can shed light on retirement/pension benefits?

>> No.19877101

>>19877085
>$82K working at a private company
1 link token will be worth $82,000. This is another sign. We're going to make it frens.

>> No.19877104

>>19877085
State jobs are basically the holy grail of retirement. My old man retired with 90% his salary after 20 years of service, medical paid for life, the got another job and doubled his salary at 55

>> No.19877137

>>19877085
Don't sell yourself short anon. Also, city of Los Angeles division of water and power pays fresh engineering grads $86k and you get all the same benefits as whatever other state government agency you're thinking about working for. Granted, city of LA is on a hiring freeze. Go private you'll make more money and learn more business skills. Government jobs will make you complacent with your overlords

>> No.19877151

I look down on peeps who have 401Ks and Roth IRAs. In fact I laugh at their faces IRL. I grew my portfolio and made more money in my entire life in just 2 years thanks to this beautiful Colombian color pencil manufacturing site.

Honestly, if you're lazy or don't want to think about investing or your future, go for the job with a pension. But since you're on this goldmine of this site, take the training wheels off and use the extra income as more leverage.

And buy link.

>> No.19877257

>>19877085
Bit of context/few things to add...

I'm in my late 30's
I'm already employed at the private company.
I'm also assuming that the government company position is also a union shop.

>> No.19877259

>>19877151
>I look down on peeps who have Roth IRA's and 401(k)
Okay retard enjoy missing out on your megabackdoor Roth where you can get up to 56k in contributions that will go tax free for life. Have fun with your meme coins and faggy taxes while the big boys play tax free. Peter Thiel has a Roth IRA balance over 100MM and anyone that makes over 200k post tax has the ability to contribute 56k a year that can grow tax free forever. Have fun paying for margin to achieve leverage because crypto isn't sophisticated enough to have a derivatives market and you literally have no other way to gain leverage other than paying some ridiculous fee to an uninsured exchange.

>> No.19877306

>>19877085
Having worked both I would say private should be the your first choice. I first worked at the local AQMD (basically took anything I could get out of college) and now a private automation engineering firm.

Private is great for doing actual engineering work and grow your skills for your career. Not to mention you also get to learn the business side of stuff with a good well rounded company. However, private might be a little more stressful for a new grad depending on what you know about the field you are going in. From my time at the AQMD job, all I guys I was working with were old oil/private sector workers who did their time. They were all looking to work 5-10 years to finish off their career with a sweet pension and all the money they made in the private sector. Basically with how slow the government works they are sweet low stress easy jobs for engineers coming from the private industry.

tl;dr (ChemE) Private most of career with a side of government for pension/benefits

>> No.19877318

i would happily settle for 25k doing what i enjoy

>> No.19877352

>>19877318
And what would that be?

>> No.19877689

(BUMP)

>>19877257
For current workplace responsibilities and position, I've already topped out.
I'm also suspecting that my salary has also hit a ceiling.

Another/better question might be:
How would one measure or estimate pension/retirement benefits

>> No.19878607

Page 10.
Last bump.