[ 3 / biz / cgl / ck / diy / fa / ic / jp / lit / sci / vr / vt ] [ index / top / reports ] [ become a patron ] [ status ]
2023-11: Warosu is now out of extended maintenance.

/biz/ - Business & Finance

View post   

File: 55 KB, 736x433, eng.jpg [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google]
19786350 No.19786350 [Reply] [Original]

So I recently completed a degree in engineering (electrical & electronic) however due to covid finding ANYTHING for graduates is nigh on impossible.

I had applied for a few jobs when I was still studying, didnt get a couple after attending assessment day, and then I was offered one that was dogshit money for the area I would have been based so I turned it down.

I'd like to see if theres any engineers here, and hear your personal stories for the transition from graduate, to the careers you find yourselves in now.

What do you wish you would have known before that you know now?

Is there anything weird and neiche you exploited to improve your employability?

I have nothing but time on my hands atm and doing a python course on udemy just to pass the time really, also applying for dogshit min wage jobs just to keep myself busy.

>> No.19786430

bampity

>> No.19786460

>>19786350
So you didn't hane any internships at all? You did nothing for the whole time you studied? Oh jesus lad, you are fucked.

>> No.19786580

>>19786350
easy job is data scientist or whatever the fuck it's called. you'll get a job right away

>> No.19786625

>>19786460
I find that odd for EE. What kind of shit school u go OP?

>> No.19786649

>>19786460
I didnt do a year in industry if thats what you mean.

I was offered one graduate role but like I said the salary didnt really reflect the cost of living in the area so would have still been living like a broke student.

>>19786580
probably have to do further courses tho right?

>>19786625
haha, whats odd is that prior to COVID19 there were loads of graduate opportunities, now there is barely anything, im a britbong and nationwide there isnt much.

>> No.19786688

>>19786649
No I meant did you not do any internships during school? As a summer job or after school hours? That's the prime way to pad your resume, show employers that you're capable and get some connections. If you thought doing all that after graduating would be possible then you're retarded.

>> No.19786792

>>19786688
hmm, Im not sure what you are getting at here, school as in school, or college?

dude im 30 years old this year and went to university late in life, 'work experience' was a long time ago for school. Before this I was an accountant so have a pretty impressive resume' for this discipline.

What im looking to do now after graduation is to break into the industry however its a fucking desert out there and I'm finding myself applying for accounting/clerical jobs during the interim, and even shelf stacking bullshit to get some money rolling in.

>> No.19786804

>>19786792
Why did you not break into the industry during college? That's what I'm trying to ask.

>> No.19787177

>>19786804
hmm, I guess because there werent many opportunities to do so, a lot of the placements were dogshit or irrelevant to my interests.

The area I studied in only had placements that paid less than min wage and not in the specific field I wanted to do.

>> No.19787229

>>19787177
And see, here is the part where you went full retard. Why the fuck did you expect anyone to hire you right out the gate when you have no relevant work experience in your field? If your interest is some highly specific and niche field, why would they hire you over someone who has worked in EE area? Nice job shooting yourself in the foot.

>> No.19787298

>>19786649
should have applied for utilities
power engineering ain't sexy but it pays

t. britbong EEfag graduating this year, 38k job lined up at a utility

>> No.19787332

>>19786649
>probably have to do further courses tho right?
yeah but they are short and easy

>> No.19787345
File: 59 KB, 973x735, grad job.png [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google]

>>19787298
and if you don't believe me here's a screenshot of the job listing

>> No.19787351

>>19787298
thats exactly what I wanted to do! Turned down tho by SSE and then Cheshire energy hub..fucking £38k?! where the fuck and for what company.

>>19787229
Most graduates havent got any experience tho, I mean in my entire course there might be x2 people who interned out of 100+.

Theres a reason why they are GRADUATE jobs and not just JOBS, because the aim is to develop skills out of education.

I love how your posting all these passive agressive comments like your some authority yet havent actually contributed anything about your career.

Another day on /biz/ , another larp.

>> No.19787391

>>19787345
savage bro, congrats! Thats crazy, gradcracker seems to have an average value of £25-28k for starting salaries. I was offered a job with Hoare Lea but they were only paying £24k in an area where rents were like £800 pm for a studio, fucking diabolical.

>>19787332
£$£$£ is the issue atm, I'm old so live on my own dont have the benefit of going to live with mummy and daddy during the interim.

>> No.19787404

Mechanical engineering graduate, living in Canada . Networked hard throughout my final year, president of engineering club, good grades, 1 summer of relavent work experience...but still can't find any good job listings, applied to whatever I can find but Covid really fucked us. Hoping things turn around by August or September.

>> No.19787436

>>19787351
Sorry bud, but I interned during my first year at a shit company for shit pay, but at least it was a mark in my resume. Second year of college, I had plenty of jobs lined up and they were much better than what I had during first year, and every year I only got better and better offers. Come graduation, I had 45k job lined up straight out the door, all thanks to having plenty of work experience and connections. You should have done your work early and not too late.

>> No.19787539
File: 41 KB, 886x886, 1580485198718.png [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google]

EE grad here, it doesn't get better a year later and make $33k.

Good news tho, I actually get responses when I apply to jobs that pay +20/hr since they see a full years experience

Bad news industry seems fucked and you need 1 EE for every 5 ME. So CS is your only hope unless you want to be a utility fag and work 30 years for boomers just to get a decent wage

>> No.19787590

>>19787351
Western Power Distribution

38k in a low cost of living area (midlands) can't fucking wait.

keep trying anon - utilities are basically recession proof. try applying to the other ones like northern powergrid/uk power networks in the next grad cycle.

>> No.19787607

The feel when all friend at university were ee or computing students. All friends got 50K + jobs straight out of uni. One friend head hunted to work at PayPal for 100k+ straight out of uni. Went to top 5 uni in UK and now I'm wage cucking. To ashamed to hang out with them anymore. Think about killing myself everyday

>> No.19787640

>>19787607
Britbong? What uni? Did you friends stay in the UK?

>> No.19787665

>>19787351
>>19787391

Successful firms always have room for good people, even in bad times, anything else is just an excuse

Your not entitled to anything, you have to prove yourself now.

You have a piece of paper that shows you finished school, great, but that doesnt say much. How can I trust that you will be good for my team/firm? Convince me.

>Get interviews, dont spill spaghetti,
>Get a job and perform better than is expected of you
>opportunities will now open up after you have experience and connections

>> No.19787677
File: 35 KB, 450x250, 1585936223832.jpg [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google]

EE 4 Years post grad in Aus, I landed a grad program role to start but I interned in heavy industry in my final year. Main thing is have extra curriculars be it a part time job, casual sport or some hobby that shows you can work in a team and not be a complete sperg. Always lie a bit about them I.e instead of saying you play soccer casually say you're involved in organising the team etc..

As for applying for jobs apply for fucking everything (should have started in your final year not at the end). Shotgun approach is soul crushing but it works, you can always take a shit job and change which is way easier than getting your foot in. Most EEs are turbo aspies so you only have to outrun them and fake it until you make it. Godspeed brother

>> No.19787681

>>19786350
Bad luck. Graduating into a recession leads to a lifetime decrease in average salary. You're on /biz/ though, so I'd say start your own business

>> No.19787715

>>19787677

Oh yeah and don't focus on your grades or try to wow them with tech knowledge. They won't give a fuck and it doesn't make you stand out. A lot of young guys fall into the trap of trying to act like they know heaps of shit when they don't which is a big red flag for hiring

>> No.19787727

Will graduate with EE Master newt month. Always worked 20hrs/week besides university in Metal and Inverter industry and as tutor in uni. Can stay at my current side job full-time with 60k. Nobody cared about my grades which were maximum shit. Offshore and construction sites in shitholes offer huge returns. Still might fuck social life

>> No.19787825

Apply for workplaces aboart to boost your CV. Do offshore windparks, oil platforms, gas pumps or even uranium mines in Namibia. Just get something worth investing your humane capital in with good returns

>> No.19787827

>>19787715
also agree with this anon.
since you're on /biz/ make sure to get clued up on business/finance/how companies run.

too many EEs focus on the technical aspect but not the business side of things and if you can get your head wrapped around this you'll stand out and eventually be managing/ruling over the spergs in your class who used to get high grades but can't think outside of engineering

>> No.19787871

>go to college if you ever want decent money!
>but it has to be a STEM field!
>and not any STEM field only some of them are good
>and you have to go do unpaid labor
>and you have to have a wide variety of extra curriculars
>and you have to network
>otherwise it's a waste of time and money
When does giving rimjobs become mandatory too?

>> No.19788440

>>19787590
yeh dude you unironically made it, because getting <38k is unlikely here on out.

>>19787665
well, obviously need to prove myself and hence I thought I'd ask for insight but as usual /biz/ is super quick to just shit on other people like some plebian authority on everything.

>>19787677
I did desu, the job I was offered was in Nov 2019, so just into. The job offer actually said this about EE's 'its easy to find good engineers, but hard to find them with good interpersonal skills'. In my previous jobs I have worked for multinational asset management companies and I am quite extrovert so good at engaging with people and making them like me.

>>19787715
>>19787827
Yeh dude, thinking almost 10 years experience in finance kinda capacities ranging from accounts assistant to office and accounts manager will help.

>> No.19788450

>>19787871
Nobody in STEM does unpaid labor numbnuts.
EE here. Got a job 7 months after graduating for $68k working in power supplies for a consumer product. I had a one year paid coop that was $17 an hour in between semesters in school. 3.5GPA.
It sucks and I would have gone for computer eng because this field is very limited and boring.

>> No.19788509

>>19787298
>>19787391
>>19787539
Why the fuck are you guys not getting into software. I graduated in EEE too but fuck that shit I got into software. I graduated two years ago and making £55k (not London)

>> No.19788576

>>19788509
unironically didn't leetcode enough to make it in to SWE. 55k outside of london, finance or tech?

i'm not too fused about going in to SWE. after the grad scheme it's a 55k comfy tier job in the midlands for me :^)

>> No.19788657

11 years in engineering. Start thinking about how you will run your own business. Either selling a product you invent, or consulting. It's the only way you'll ever make any real money. If you become a staff engineer, be prepared to get paid 100k/year while you make your boss millions.

>> No.19788676

>>19788576
I didn't leetcode either, but I did get an internship in the summer before my last year. Tech.

>> No.19788692

>>19788576
>Western Power Distribution
They pay £55k after graduate scheme?

>> No.19788723

>>19788657
By consulting do you mean becoming a contractor? Is the PE really that worth it?

>> No.19788770

>>19788692
yeah see: >>19787345
after you move out of the grad scheme you end up in something like the substation electrical design job

>> No.19788771

My gf is an EE and she got her job after she interned there in college. She wants to leave the company and shes been actively looking for jobs for 9 months now and has had a handful of interviews but no luck yet. Since you have no experience and no vagina it will probably be even harder for you.

>> No.19788790

>>19788676
Amazon SDE I by any chance?
I tried to get in to a grad tech role, got a phone screen with palantir (90k, london) but didn't move from there. all the other FAGMAN companies ignored/rejected me

>> No.19789010

>>19788657
I've thought aboutit, now seems to be the time for active buildings and I was considering a consultancy doing this, but would need 3-5 years actual industry experience before I could gain actual credibility.

>>19788676
spill the beans nigger, Im not bad at coding and would love the opportunity to develop further.

>> No.19789762

Same problem for me with a ChemE degree, I have a sub par gpa with one internship but have been ghosted by all three companies I’ve interviewed with man
Why the fuck can’t they even send me a denial email or call after I’ve interviewed with them??
Don’t ever stop applying tho, at least for ChemE according to the AiChE survey of 2019 it takes on average 9 months to get a job and that’s before COVID was ever a thing.
If I don’t get a job before the next graduating class I’m joining the navy tho

>> No.19790114

>>19786350

OP I graduated in Australia from engineering into the post-mining-boom and post-post-GFC slump. Even the 6 week unpaid internships we had dozens applying per position, multiple rounds of interviews etc. (I ended up just doing one through a researcher's pseudo-company at uni). Looked for a year, went back to start a PhD, dropped out of that because that's generally how grad research is, worked a site engineer job in construction for a year, then finally landed a job with an engineering consultancy doing stuff from my degree last August.

No real lesson here, just don't give up, and also maybe take what you can get even if it looks shit, because that first year of experience is absolutely crucial for getting into the industry. The fact you turned a job down is good in one way though, you should be good at haggling for better pay if you try, since you clearly have an idea of your value even if it might be a little optimistic

>> No.19790910

>>19788790
Nah not FANG
I actually did recently try to get in Amazon as they would pay around £65k here but didn't make it past the coding test unfortunately

We'll have to try again in the future fren

>> No.19791676

Not sure how different it is for EE, but I did Aerospace and had no issues getting interviews here in the States. How many positions have you applied to? With online applications it's easy to fill out 20 per day. My stats weren't superb either: 3.3 GPA, one summer internship. Starting salary around $75k in a low cost of living area and a signing bonus.