[ 3 / biz / cgl / ck / diy / fa / ic / jp / lit / sci / vr / vt ] [ index / top / reports ] [ become a patron ] [ status ]
2023-11: Warosu is now out of extended maintenance.

/biz/ - Business & Finance

View post   

File: 48 KB, 851x569, 1A142C2A-3893-4A4A-89C1-D6F5B3C9FAC3.jpg [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google]
19215482 No.19215482 [Reply] [Original]

Anyone here work in sales? Been looking at getting into it and also have an opportunity to do some freelance B2B selling. Would appreciate any resources or reccomendations. Also talk about what you do for a living besides gambling.

>> No.19215535

>>19215482
Based, I’m looking to do the same. What industry you thinking?

>> No.19215541

>>19215482
Long history in all kinds of sales, direct, b2b, cold calling, high pressure boiler room stuff, really anything you can imagine. My advice? Learn body language, understand and learn some NLP, have a lot of empathy in the sense of knowing what you'd need to hear or see (if you were your customer) in order to get off your ass and actually feel compelled to do it (what would it take for you to do the same thing? are you that good?), also no guilt about it, believe in 360 wins and that everything happens for a reason.

>> No.19215547

are you a sociopath/psychopath?

no?

then sales arent for you

>> No.19215586

Yes,
Sales is flooded with un-enthused miserable people who cant sell a pond to a duck.
Have a high sense of self esteem, and give a shit about the customers you work with, and you will kill it.
Dont get too wrapped up or bogged down by bad sales months because attitude and mentality make up 95% of sales.
Treat all your customers like equals.
Leave an impression. If someone's going to walk on you, at least make it so if they do come back, they want to work with you.

If you give a shit about your job and your clients, you will be top of the food chain.
If you're not a people person, you're ngmi.

>> No.19215616

>>19215541
Have your own style, don't feel compelled to be like anyone else, you'd be amazed many of the absolute best salesman are deadpan cold and monotone, you don't have to be an animated maniac (for some it does work) and they will push you to seem more enthusiastic, but the truth is customers trust people who seem to really not give a shit one way or the other about the deal, just seem interested in making sure they understand whats being offered in detail (sometimes using tricky language to tear down their fears and there is some manipulation involved)

In terms of manipulation some things you can consider a gray area would be saying something like "you can cancel at anytime in the first 30 days at no cost to you".... But what you really mean is we wont hit you with a fee for cancelling, but you will owe us for the first months bill (the customer is so eager for their version of what they hear to be right, they dont even consider hearing it any other way)..

Thats just an example of the psychology of some of how sales language can be used to control the frame of perception

>> No.19215664

>>19215541
>>19215586
>>19215616

Good shit, thanks for replies. With COVID-19 ruling out face to face meets for the near future, any tips come to mind for working phones/writing emails?

>> No.19215711

>>19215664
be a subject matter expert, learn NLP and how to develop your vocal resonance, phone is my best weapon because of my voice, i am a monster in terms of lead conversion in anything I have ever put my mind to because I can hypnotize people on the phone into going through my hoops, i lead the show and make it make sense for them to feel compelled to play along.

>> No.19215754

>>19215664
Also understand game theory, variance, and learn to grind... these tips will help you understand the swings of the game and not getting emotional based on results at all, which is extremely important. you cant have an ounce of desperation it is the #1 killer of a salesman is any sense of needing the sale

>> No.19215793

>>19215664
Allow yourself to be easily lead on tangents.
Be the kind of person you'd want to be stuck in a phone convo with.

>> No.19215799

>>19215664
if you have any sense of religious belief praying to a higher power to help you help someone today is also a rewarding task, it makes the job feel more important especially if your customers really do express appreciation "im so happy we met, it's great working with you, thank you so much, this was very helpful.. etc etc"

>> No.19215837
File: 66 KB, 1024x768, 05587740.jpg [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google]

>>19215482
been waiting for a thread like this.

>been in sales for 5 years.
> fortune 500 last 4
>broke 100k before 25.
>hardest high paying job
>easiest low paying job

it has it's ups and downs, but it is mostly mental.
If you can push pass your mental limits and keep making calls you will kill it.

It truly is a job where you can't give a fuck.

>> No.19215893

>>19215799
How do you get into b2b without sales experience?

>> No.19215968

>>19215893
I was a co-owner of a "free" windshield replacement racket making money hand over fist for a few years in south florida, part of the job was cold calling every business in driving distance to send our agents out to businesses to write up windshields of their employees to get mobile replacements done while they were home or at work (was a mobile service competing with safelite offering way expensive pilkington glass because insurance has to pay for whatever glass the customers choose which is why their insurance co sends safelite because its cheap) we made a killing selling customers bmw audi mercedes glass on any car because we got a ton of money on writing up more expensive glass that the customers did not have to pay for. was some amazing money to be made doing that

>> No.19215984

>>19215711

Thanks a ton this helps. Any resources you’d rec on NLP?

>> No.19216015

>>19215968
Thanks anon, but it sounds like you were an owner in the business? I was more asking for someone to become just a salesman in b2b

>> No.19216039

>>19215984
back in the day i used to pirate bay anything i could about self help motivational speaking body language sales training that companies spent a mountain of money on to get to their employees, honestly out of everything ive ever seen the best NLP advice comes pretty much from the source of the main dude who developed it, a weirdo pickup artist named Ross Jeffries. He developed the skill and the CIA and FBI and other government agencies learned and developed it further. Ross used it to pick up women and he was amazing at it, pure hypnotist, he was a repulsive man who could teach repulsive people to get anything they wanted out of relationships at the cost of knowing it was artificial (drove many of these people insane it is a dark magic)

>> No.19216076

>>19216015
My job as co owner was to be the lead salesman i convinced the companies to allow our reps to come onto their properties during business hours to write up windshields on company time. this is a very tough sell.

Single salesman to b2b would be like being a web dev who was great at going around towns that arent all caught up with tech, checking out local websites, and offering people in these towns a reduced rate on web services, then growing a business like that to have others do the work for you eventually. theres a million ways to come up with sales plans

>> No.19216081
File: 131 KB, 893x1360, influence.jpg [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google]

read it

>> No.19216105

Locum tenens bro here. We're considered sales. Ama. The money is great

>> No.19216134

>>19216015
if you arent looking to go all out and make a killing giving up all your time energy etc,

a super comfy sales gig is to sell going to college, university admissions/enrollment is a cake walk with great benefits, many pay for their employees to go to college for free, have great retirement plans, and pay 40-60k a year with excellent job security I highly highly recommend this position to those who can sell and want to get a degree without paying for it while developing their sales skill further (thats what I did)

>> No.19216137

>>19215547
This.

My story in a nutshell:

Did car sales, was promised 70-100k, worked 70-80 hours per week, sold around 10-15 cars a month, was on track to make around 40k (draw against commission) before I left.
It was a high volume toyota dealership. Not worth it, you have to deal with morons all day (rarely get someone nice and reasonable) and management consisted of literal dipshits who were only there because they were friends/relatives with the original owner of the dealership.
To be fair, the dealership I worked at had a reputation of being grimy af, but I don't think it gets much better at other dealerships. (You get to know other sales reps at different dealerships, they have similar experiences.) You could also probably make more at other places, especially luxury car dealerships, but it's soul-sucking. You literally have to enjoy schmoozing people into taking a really bad deal (I.e. be a sociopath to survive/enjoy the job) Management gave me shit for telling customers about discounts/special offers, giving them straight answers, etc. that led to actually getting the sale.

>> No.19216140

>>19216076
>going around towns that arent all caught up with tech
Interesting, is there any systematic way to find this out besides throwing darts at a map of the Midwest?

>> No.19216157

>>19216140
towns in souther USA like 20-40 miles outside of cities tend to be way behind as well on cost of tech services

>> No.19216180

>>19216137
sounds like you worked at a bad car dealership.

I recommend you get a job that has you cold calling

>> No.19216183

>>19216137
I made it a point to never sell cars, the work isnt worth the reward, any good salesman can find a comfier sales opportunity and be valued

>> No.19216204

>>19216183
true.

>> No.19216315

>>19216137
You work in the Bay Area?
I worked at Chevrolet in the Bay Area, averaged 9 every month but hit 18 in one July.
We basically gave away Chevy Bolts and Volts to Apple employees 24/7

It was fun when it was fun.
good times

>> No.19216445

>>19216315
I'm on the east coast. Yeah location is pretty important too and probably plays a role in how many sales you make/how much you enjoy your job. I just so happened to be in an area where there were a lot of stingy foreigners (Indians/Chinese). No offense, but they were typically, like 9 times out of 10, a nightmare to sell to. It would take the most time and you'd get like no commission. It's a cultural thing, I got the impression they enjoyed haggling.

>> No.19216500

I just started in sales last year. I have a very high natural talent for it though, which is great. I ended being best in my half of the US for my company within my 4th month there. Sales and commission is incredibly based.

>> No.19216534

>>19216445
Yes, exactly. It was like you were playing baseball and they were playing whatever the retarded curry version is. Different languages

>> No.19216606

>>19216445
God i know the feeling.
Most deals on our books were in the neg, but we just went along with it because we would get fat kickback from Chevy for pushing our cars.

Indians would negotiate with me till 12 AM over a 170/m lease. they would all talk amongst each other about their best deals and would compete with each other to see who had the biggest dick and the lowest payment. You get a fat dopamine rush when you finally convince the tough fuckers to close a deal.

There was a lot of Fudding by other indians and other dealerships who would pass my phone number and say I could get them impossible deals.

You get used to it lol
I work at a suit store now, or at least till I was furloughed, And I was stuck negotiating with some Middle Eastern dude over 2 Clearance suits and had to cinch the deal by offering to sew the pant bottoms for free. My coworkers were all talking shit, and I was just like "Way of the road, baby".

I miss wearing suits. I love that job. I hope they dont go under.

>> No.19216735

>>19215482
Anyone sell life insurance? Is it a scam?
>>19216606
Selling suits sounds pretty comfy

>> No.19216961

>>19216735
Bump

>> No.19217021

>>19216735
Suit sales is super comfy if you work in a store with the right kind of people.

>> No.19217112

>>19216500
What industry?

>>19216606
Local store or chain?

>> No.19217121

>>19217112
Men's Wearhouse
George Zimmer plz come back

>> No.19217195

Let the army
Went into Medical Sales
Repped for Pfizer for a few years
Pros - easy gig - much pussy - expense account fraud is easy too
Cons - capped bonus - corporate culture (cocksuckers etc) - lots of female reps and managers
Split to Johnson & Johnson Medical (medical devices)
Pros - uncapped commissions heaps more cash
Cons - harder work - a lot more in-services (inescapable hours) - harder to defraud expenses and hardly any receptionists worth banging
Now run my own business importing cheap medical devices from China

>> No.19217217

>>19217195
I'd back up what most of the anons above said
You need to be able to dissociate yourself from the process - and it is a process - very few people are naturals
Someone said above that its a hard well paying job and an easy low paying job - this is true
You will come to hate almost all your customers and every one of your suppliers

>> No.19217519
File: 69 KB, 640x416, bank-manger1.jpg [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google]

Trust
Need
Help
Hurry
Follow the steps to get the close Trust me bruh follow the steps and imprint them into your brain.
T. Sold 700k/ Year Volume in Timeshare IN PERSON
I sell Orthodontics now its way comfier and i dont really have to go on go mode anymore fun to help others though. Fuck the Books , Fuck the Giga Chad Motivation Fitness bullshit. Act like you dont give a fuck to a buyer and watch em ask for it.

>> No.19217561

>>19215837
what do you sell ?

>> No.19218212

>>19215482
Bump

>> No.19218500

https://youtu.be/ku62gjM6Tl4