[ 3 / biz / cgl / ck / diy / fa / ic / jp / lit / sci / vr / vt ] [ index / top / reports ] [ become a patron ] [ status ]
2023-11: Warosu is now out of extended maintenance.

/biz/ - Business & Finance

View post   

File: 85 KB, 2000x930, boston university .png [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google]
1895782 No.1895782 [Reply] [Original]

Hey /biz/nessmen. I'm a junior in high school (before you ask I repeated freshmen year because I moved from public to private school, so I turned 18 last week). I was wondering what you guys think about my college plan.

Right now I've got a 3.4 GPA. I go to a private high school that mentions in our college apps that our curriculum is higher (which it is, considering we usually go at a faster pace and cover more content in our subjects). We have a good reputation with colleges, who usually know our school well because our headmaster does a lot of meetings and whatnot.

My parents are both professors at pic related. This year, they recommended I get in contact with a few of our family friends in the Econ/Business department and do some research over the summer, given my interests in the subject. I met with one at the business school whose daughter graduated from my school last year and he said he'd be glad to recommend me to any professors. Apparently undergrads are often unreliable, but he said that he can recommend for the level of advanced studies we do at my school and that should be enough to get me in with a professor.

So /biz/, would it be smart for me just to go here? It's not a top school along the lines of Harvard or Princeton, but one of my friends went to Worcester Polytech and has already lined up internships at Merrill Lynch and Bridgewater, so does the school really count? I've heard BU has a good internship program at their Business School (Questrom) and for majors I'm considering doing Math/Econ as well as a minor in Finance. As it stands right now, my Econ coursework that I've done (my high school offers college courses) allows me to void 3 of the 8 courses required for a finance minor and by the end of senior year, I'll have done 7 Econ courses (intro micro, intro macro, econometrics 1, econometrics 2, intermediate micro, intermediate macro, and another econ course i have to choose).

>> No.1895790

>>1895782
My primary reason for going here is the fact that I feel it'd be better for me to start off with the contacts I already have there and do research work with professors during my undergrad with the established rep that I have. If I do well now with my research work in high school, I'd probably be able to get recommended to other higher levels who would be otherwise suspicious of working with an unknown freshman at other institutions.

Would it be better for me to go here with what I have and shoot for a target school as a graduate student? Does anyone have any recommendations about BU or anything that they've heard about the school?

>> No.1895964

>>1895782
Depends on whether it's a well connected school, which I don't know nearly enough information to tell you anon.

>> No.1895973

>>1895782
I went to BU for lolberal arts major. Never took any courses at the biz school but I can at least tell you that based on the quality of their facilities compared to the other colleges at BU, their grads must be doing fairly well in order to send such nice alumni gifts. You are doing well to be looking up these things already, so I'd say you are already ahead of the game. The old view of "apply broadly" still stands though and you have time to look more things up.

Regarding the research: if you have contacts at BU you might still be able to get involved in research there during undergrad even if you say, went to Harvard, so don't base your decision on that 100%.

>> No.1896034

>>1895973
I mean if it's in Boston it's probably bound to have good connections to places like State Street Financial and maybe the Boston Fed, if that's what OP is looking for.

>> No.1896047

Your friend sounds like a faggot. You seem like you're up and coming though. I wouldn't worry too much.

>> No.1896857

>>1895973
yeah the buisness school building is really nice