[ 3 / biz / cgl / ck / diy / fa / ic / jp / lit / sci / vr / vt ] [ index / top / reports ] [ become a patron ] [ status ]
2023-11: Warosu is now out of extended maintenance.

/biz/ - Business & Finance

View post   

File: 61 KB, 580x282, vanguard-windsor-ii_large.png [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google]
1882521 No.1882521 [Reply] [Original]

Hey anon,

I have maxed my Roth IRA contribution for 2017 and am looking to open a brokerage account through Vanguard. I am going to buy and hold for a least 20 years. What ETF do you like VTI or VOO? They both perform similarly and have comparable risk. Do I invest in both? Thanks!

>> No.1882668

>>1882521
You do realize that you're supposed to contribute money you've earned through working to an IRA, and not money your parents give you, right?

>> No.1882723

There's honestly very little difference.
You're not gonna get that much more security or gains from VTI over VOO. It's like wearing 2 condoms, utterly pointless.

I would suggest tough, if you're going to buy and hold that long, you might as well hold the one that pays dividends, VYM I think, since it tracks market pretty closely to both, but you can reinvest the dividends.

>> No.1882964

There will be a much greater difference depending on the day/time you execute your trade than the difference between voo and vti