[ 3 / biz / cgl / ck / diy / fa / ic / jp / lit / sci / vr / vt ] [ index / top / reports ] [ become a patron ] [ status ]
2023-11: Warosu is now out of extended maintenance.

/biz/ - Business & Finance

View post   

File: 6 KB, 184x184, 29e466509ecc68e237b9fc38456c6cb797c8bfa5_full.jpg [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google]
18186349 No.18186349 [Reply] [Original]

>make a fairly popular botting client for an MMO
>make a lot of money from selling this and running a gold farm (6500-7500 USD/month)
>actually make more from this than my normal day job (4200 USD/month)
Should I quit my normal day job when the corona stuff clears up? ATM I'm getting paid full salary to sit at home and do almost nothing which is nice.
I've weighed out the pros and cons over the last month or so but I would like input from others.
Pros to keeping my job
>more money, still live with my parents so I could use this money to move out
>better carrer growth
>having a "real" job looks better on a resume
>increased networking opportunities
>still have some interesting job projects to work on
>get preferred rates for my car insurance
>IRL job is more stable, I'm just one C&D letter or an anti-bot update away from going out of business
Pros to quitting my IRL job
>Am burnt out from my IRL job
>I'm becoming notably disgruntled which management is noticing
>Can focus on improving my client, leading to an improved product and hopefully better money
>I can sit around at home all day
>Less stress

>> No.18186379

>>18186349
Will you struggle getting a job if you quit for a year?

>> No.18186438

>>18186379
Maybe?
Even before Corona chan my cunt's job market was a bit fucked. I know some guys with 3-5 years of industry experience who quit their previous jobs and then went 5-6 months before they found new jobs

>> No.18186487

Sounds more like a "i don't want to work there" as opposed to "i don't want to do this" type of thing. I'd say just quit your job, chill for 2 - 3 months then go get a new one.
That way you'll both get some rest and not miss out on experience, contacts and all of that. You've got options, take advantage.

>> No.18186509

>>18186349
In my opinion OP $132,000 a year is worth it to do both and if one of the two falls through then you have a backup income. A couple years of that and after taxes you could put more than 50 percent down on a nice first home. Rather than improving the bot client consider dropping some money into more aggressive advertising to pull more users, though I guess that increases C & D risk. I don't have experience with the legality of bots for mmos

>> No.18186538

they patch bots and any loop holes eventually. your shit won't work in a month or two most likely

>> No.18186560

>>18186538
this, use the money while it's still flowing in to build a hoard of your favorite asset

>> No.18186565
File: 28 KB, 640x360, fu_andersnordic_kb_120606_wmain.jpg [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google]

>>18186509
>I don't have experience with the legality of bots for mmos
It's technically copyright infringement. Bot makers for various MMOs have challenged C&D orders but none of them have won. Some of them were even forced to pay restitution to the MMO makers.
If I ever get a C&D letter I'm going to fold em and shut down shop. I might also wipe all of my documents other than the bare minimum needed for filing taxes

>> No.18186579
File: 9 KB, 263x191, shrug.jpg [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google]

>>18186349
Sounds like you need to keep your job. Besides, having two sources of income is infinitely better than having one. On top of all that, the "benefits" involved in having a real job often make it worth it for that reason alone.

You have the privilege of knowing you can get away with a lot more at work because if you get fired, your other job will lighten the blow. I would treat your MMO job as your "real job" and just take it easy at your "IRL" job, but do the bare minimum to keep them both going.