[ 3 / biz / cgl / ck / diy / fa / ic / jp / lit / sci / vr / vt ] [ index / top / reports ] [ become a patron ] [ status ]
2023-11: Warosu is now out of extended maintenance.

/biz/ - Business & Finance

View post   

File: 1.83 MB, 2368x3000, taylor-swift-karlie-kloss.jpg [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google]
1808105 No.1808105 [Reply] [Original]

Will writing a book bring me loads of cash?

>> No.1808151

When did you last buy a book? How many of your friends bought a book in the last month?

That should about tell you.

>> No.1808186

>>1808151
I buy lots of books almost daily. I sell them on Amazon. It made me realize how many people actually read books, giving me this idea.

>> No.1808198

>>1808105
I think it really depends on what you're trying to do OP. Writing one book may or may not bring you loads of cash. It's hard to say what will catch on and what won't.

Writing a book is a lot of hard work and if your only motivation is hoping it will be the next big thing you will probably be very disappointed. I wouldn't let that discourage you if it's something you really want to do.

If you can get to the point where you can churn out decently written stories with the potential for franchise then you might get loads of cash.

Think like Tom Clancy or Stephen King. They're not necessarily the next Shakespeare or something but they figured out a way to consistently pump out readable content and made a lot of cash off of it.

>> No.1808201
File: 101 KB, 668x1370, 1487535032685.jpg [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google]

>>1808198
Also I would like to make an addendum

>tfw no T. Swift gf

>> No.1808321

>>1808105
Writing a book won't do jack shit unless you know how to market it.

You can write the next Stephen King novel, or next Think and Grow Rich, and no one will give a shit about your book.

If you really want to write a book to make money, here's some tips:

1) It's gonna be non fiction. Information will always be in demand, until the end of time. Period.

2) Your book will be something related to improving one's lifestyle. How to get rich, how to get fit, how to get women, how to [insert text here]. People who read are people who want to learn and generally want applicable information.

3) Don't do research. Or rather, pick your topic, and combine the information from the 3 or 4 most recent and best selling books into your new book. Congrats, you're now an expert.

4) Get some exposure with your new expert status. You don't have to go national. Start local. Find a newspaper or part of the news and put your name out there offering a sample of your expert opinion.

5) Now people know you and trust you. This is an appropriate time to use your newfound status and plug it into the cover of your book (as seen on ____). This will make people trust your book more over the average shmuck's book.

6) The rest now depends on how you market your book. But if you followed these steps you have an almost gravitational book. Even if it's not a masterpiece, it offers massive value to the prospective buyer. Perceived value is what's gonna make people buy your book.

(Also this is just my advice, don't take a word of this seriously)

>> No.1808325

>>1808105
Only if you can get people to buy it.

>> No.1808330

Writer here. Even if you get on the best seller's list it isn't as much money upfront as you think it is going to be. You may only get five figures your first time writing a best seller, at least that year. Or it may make you stupendously rich.

The kicker is that once you become a successful artist the more you write, the more readers you get. The more readers you get, the more your previous books make and the more writing your next book is worth.

I have yet to crack six figs, but I'm at the point where if I quit and started working I'd be losing money.

>> No.1808333

>>1808330
Do you write fiction or non?

How did you get the willpower to sit down and fucking write an entire book?

>> No.1808336

>>1808333

Fiction.

It's hard when you start doing it, then becomes second nature. Most people don't make it to 10k or 20k words, but once you're able to hit 50k+ and sit through the editing process you can do it again.

My first book was an anthology with five novellas totaling around 38k words.

>> No.1808403

>>1808336
>aspiring fictionfag here

I'm just writing short stories. What should I do to take my game to the next level and become published?

>> No.1808435

>>1808403

Practice writing. Practice handling rejection.

>> No.1808470

>>1808105

Probably $5K, depending on what your 'advance' is.

>> No.1808473

>>1808435
>>1808403

Can definitely agree with 'practice handling rejection'.

Really, it's more like 'practice trying and trying again'.

Most people who get published do so after dozens of tries.