[ 3 / biz / cgl / ck / diy / fa / ic / jp / lit / sci / vr / vt ] [ index / top / reports ] [ become a patron ] [ status ]
2023-11: Warosu is now out of extended maintenance.

/biz/ - Business & Finance

View post   

File: 341 KB, 1440x810, f190388a-7f92-11e8-bc55-50daf11b720d.jpg [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google]
17158674 No.17158674 [Reply] [Original]

Anyone in the trucking industry? I work for one of the major load boards and just want to talk about it. I have a lot of questions and theories about what's going on.

>> No.17158691

>>17158674
What teories? About what?

>> No.17158699

>>17158674
do you have a lot of work to do? do you feel the recession coming?

>> No.17158704

Aren’t you guys gonna get replaced by robots?

>> No.17158766

>>17158691
Mostly about how low rates are after how good of a year 2018 was for carriers and brokers. Rates are nearly half what they were that year. My theory is everyone's uncle and cousins told them this was where the money is at and the market got oversaturated with a bunch of literal noobs that brokers could take advantage of, then they all quit. Now we're seeing a driver shortage.

Celadon closed I'm 2019, a major carrier because of this. That's 4,000 drivers with no jobs now considering getting their own authority and getting their own LLC. But the thing is they only know how to drive, they don't know how to negotiate rates or do paperwork. So brokers, being the scum that they are, pay carriers way less than they should because the carriers are too retarded to know how the market works, driving lane rates down and driver retention even lower. I talk to these people everyday. The pendulum is in the brokers' favor now, and no one can last as a carrier because of the rates.

>> No.17158788

>>17158674
Cali trucker here...would love to share thoughts...im lovin these new 2020 volvo vnl's brother it makes life easy and jerking off even comfier

>> No.17158884

>>17158788
Neat, talking more industry stuff though. How do you feel about the crazy tug of war when it comes to Cali trucking laws?

>> No.17158926

>>17158766
I was at prime lease, so I'm insulated from brokers (getting assraped from the inside instead). It's a mix of Jews claiming a shortage in drivers just to get more third worlders and shippers simply being able to outlast/out demand carriers...imo.

Winter is always slow, so we'll see what rates are shortly...but demand isn't stopping, and truckers are dropping like flies...so the only logical way is up. But this is clown world. Might try /o/ for better answers or link them this thread.

I'm about to start oversized as a o/o, 3.90+ a mile, so I'll be comfy not fighting literal Africans to haul toilet paper for .75

>> No.17159074

>>17158926
I tried /o/ but their trucking general is dead now. They just want to talk about their cucksheds, not the business.

On your comments about foreigners though, I think that hurts the industry tremendously. Not just because of all the braindead drivers from India who can get me killed, but because most of them are being dispatched from other countries, which is illegal in the US. Like I said, I work for one of the biggest load boards in the US. We're a software company and our compliance department can't keep up with the volume of people using our load board. I've found countless companies in our system that I've linked to one's who've been banned for fraud that just start a new company and do it again. For such a high effort job, especially for the drivers" things are fucked because countless pajeets can spoof an address for their MC, DOT and LLC and send their cousin to the US to haul freight for pennies because the money he sends back is worth more in India, Pakistan or some Slav country. So then rates for honest drivers plummet. We absolutely need freight to manage the United States but we rely on cheap labor because brokers are scum and shippers want the cheapest price to move freight, disregarding safety, skill and work/life balance.

>> No.17159117

o/o hauling air freight here, it's a fucking blood bath lmao.

The market is contracting since the market became oversaturated at the end of 2018, beginning of 2019. Quite a few companies went under. I wouldn't be surprised if 2021/2022 saw a stabilization in the industry.

Also if you work for C.H Robinson, you're a huge faggot.

>> No.17159139

>>17159117
Nah, DAT. I think we're bad, but only because brokers abuse our tools.

>> No.17159196

>>17158704
Not in our lifetimes. That's like saying hoverboards and flying cars will exist in 2019. It's the future but not until long after you and I are dead.

>> No.17159509

>>17159074
Yeah it's the same symptoms as everywhere else in the US re: immigrants. Abdul and Rajesh give zero fucks for laws, and faggot libs will look the other way or worse help break them. I get harassed/denied for a crease on my 30 year old original birth certificate at the DMV, while the 3 fat Mexican women and their 9 screaming kids register a stolen car with a handwritten "title". Criminals just laugh because they'll get deported in lieu then walk back over in a day or two.

But the solution (a final one) isn't going to be solved just in trucking, but as a top-down restructuring of those currently in power to prevent profiting off being "above" the laws they implement.

To stay/become more competitive, there needs to be a huge trim on dowork and aa positions in the overall economy. This probably includes your job Mr loadboard, or at least 90% of the people around you. The only hope for anyone that is lawful neutral is smart contracts actually work as intended...and restore balance between actual workers and nigs/women. Because unfortunately you pussies won't do it yourselves.

</pol>

Tl;dr hold those who are above accountability, accountable

>> No.17159533

>>17158766
I'm 25 how should I go about buying a truck and securing a dedicated customer/route/account?

Currently just running some heavy equipment but would like to give it a try if the money is there

>> No.17159569

>>17158766
I thought part of the reason 2018 was so good was because firms were buying ahead of the enactment of tariffs

>> No.17159583

>>17158766
Do you think that the influx of hundreds of thousands of Mexican and other illegal aliens into the U.S. who took jobs as truck drivers has impacted (lowered) wages in the industry, as it has in construction and other industries?

>> No.17159671

>>17158766
Are seriously telling me that freight brokers are cucking the world?

DAMN... Never fuck with the freight broker.

>> No.17159695

>>17159583
Beaners aren't into trucking nearly as bad as construction. Thankfully, there's no need to hire straight illegals in trucking... as it's easier to go gray market. Faggot leaflandia basically has open boarders at this point, and then nafta allows "Canadians" to come down here and work year round with no restrictions, for pennies on the dollar for their shitskin paki families to live like kings on 50 USD a day.

Look how many trucks are plated in Quebec next time you're on the highway, it should anger anyone

>> No.17159750

>>17159533
The money isn't really there in the current market but you could make some cash if you play your cards right and like driving. I hate to shill, but honestly once you get your DOT and Truck the only way to start working if you don't have a dedicated route is with loadboards, and you'll go nowhere for a solid 3 months since most brokerages require 90 days of having your authority to haul for them. It's honestly not an industry worth getting into because at the moment. The investment is far too high for the reward. And that's why we're seeing a decline in truck drivers.

>> No.17159773

>>17159569
The shippers thought ahead and we're hauling freight like crazy and everything basically spiked, now the shippers are happy and everything is back to normal but now things are oversaturated with dumb fuck drivers who are okay with $1.50 per mile loads, which is bullshit.

>> No.17159930

Is there an hiv issue with all the gay secs at truck stops

>> No.17160041

>>17159773
At Prime 1.50 was called "good" by dispatchers. I probably shouldn't have slacked and got a real job doing fluff shit like coding...but it's mildly infuriating that in trucking everyone around me is either retarded, or thinks I'm retarded.

You expect me to have the cognitive function to not kill everyone/everything around me for 14 hours a day, but assume I can't into basic math?

>> No.17160083

>>17160041
It's a shit industry, but you can make it work for you, IF you enjoy driving a truck. You guys carry this country, I wouldn't have food if it wasn't for you. You're being paid far too little and OOIDA isn't fucking helping.

>> No.17160095

>>17158674
Tesla Truck will take your jobs in 5-10 years.

>> No.17160142
File: 31 KB, 378x378, WHAT.jpg [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google]

>>17158766
I work as a same day courier driving my own car and I talk to the truck drivers at the airports all the time and they say exactly what you say, and even worse they all feel an economic downturn this year is inevitable. Gonna be tough. Its hard to be all 'Trump good economy' when I myself drove 5000 more miles last year and my 1099's have me at 6k less income and January was bad, even with good weather.
Hunker down boys, its a comin'.

>> No.17160205

>>17160095
I work for the software side of trucking, dumbass Uber, Amazon and more are our customers, we're not going anywhere.

>>17160142
Don't hate Trump for this. It's the dumbass truckers who need to stand up and be paid fairly. The tariff's shouldn't effect their rates. It's the brokers and pretty much literal Indian scammers fucking up this this industry because most drivers are just plain fucking stupid. And trucking also fucking sucks, the amount of isolation working that job is unhealthy. We need reform.

>> No.17160247

Redpill me on the automation meme, trucker-anons. Always felt like bullshit from commiefags to me.

>> No.17160257
File: 37 KB, 620x446, 0DF58256-8418-4AEC-BC5E-6C18E7601F2E.jpg [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google]

>>17159930
Why is noone addressing the elephant in the room

>> No.17160289

>>17160083
I was otr for literally 3 years straight. Only took a total of like 3 weeks off for illness (got really fucking sick twice). Made mid 70's each year, kek. I literally make less than CA minimum wage broken down hourly, but I worked 10-16 hours a day no OT. Shit is fucking retarded. I try not to get all boomer-y but it'd actually be fun/useful to have a full on strike or disaster for a few days. Remind the soisoomers exactly who controls this country in reality.

But just like removing nigs and women from better paying jobs than my 70+ hour week, as a "diversity expert in social marketing" for Uber...the few remaining whites in America will lay down and take it, per usual.

>> No.17160336

>>17158766
I work in the shipping department of a major building material company. I have a sort of hybrid position where I'm also doing quite a bit of the logistics work, booking carriers, submitting C.I's and checking all B/L's that get sent in to us from the brokers.

I also deal with most of the carriers/drivers that pick up from us — majority of them are now immigrants, and they're always complaining about piss-poor rates just as you said, saying that the brokers have been offering less and less. Some of the drivers I talk to are actually business owners who have a fleet of trucks (20-50 some claim) and even they're getting fucked around by brokers when they themselves know the game being played.

Problem is these drivers aren't in a union, so they only negotiate for themselves or their (smallish) company. If a driver or small company owner tries to play hardball these brokers can just say eat shit and die, and go find some other immigrant driver/company that will accept the low rate.

Not having collective bargaining power is what will kill this industry for the drivers and relegate it to a minimum wage job (or close to it) until it's finally replaced by automated vehicles.

>> No.17160380

>>17158674
I've been driving a box truck just making local deliveries as a snack vendor for about a year, and literally 3 (THREE) separate occasions you fat truckers tried to recruit me for their driving program to get licensed for a semi. What gives?

>> No.17160403

>>17160247
Anyone that is bullish on muh ai has never even sat behind the wheel of a full size pickup. It's all bugmen that ride fixies in fag cities fapping to their god Elon Musk in between breaks to cry about Kobe and whatever flavor of the week dead nigger rapper.

The best self driving systems do the same 12 mile loops only on sunny days in AZ at off peak hours, and emergency brake from 65-30 once every 5 minutes to accomplish that. Simple economics show that buying a half+ million dollar system and liabilities incurred from use of that system (including a driver watching it) aren't a net cost savings over literal Somalians holding the wheel or 85 chain migrating paki's.

That's not even getting into off highway piloting.

>> No.17160474

>>17160380
You get paid 500-2k for recruiting people at majors, depending on how shit they are. There are also tons of "trainers" who have to teach other fat retards like yourself how to drive to survive on how shit the wages are now. Maybe they assume you're not a dumb fucking car npc and would prefer teaching you how to do a real driving job over the pool of normal candidates we get (50+ recently divorced boomers that are homeless with no exp and this is their last shot, or poop people that barely understand English)

>> No.17160477

>>17160403
short-sighted thinking man.

look how quickly we went from horses & wagons to nearly every American owning a car. Essentially in the span of 100 years.

No one's saying that self-driving semi trucks are going to own the roads in the next 5 years, but think 20 or 30 years. Things change fast when there's enough incentive for it.

I've seen automation take over manufacturing already. The last company I worked in automated 95% of their production, when just 20 years ago it would have been dozens if not hundreds of additional employees required to run the same production line. It's all just cost analysis. If an automated machine costs $5,000,000 but has a lifespan of 30 years and replaces the job of 10 people who would have each been making $38,000/year, you just run the math. $38k * 10 = $380,000/year * 30 years = $11,400,000.

$5M is less than $11.4M so you buy the automated system up front and save in the long run. Obviously that's a simplistic example but it illustrates the point. This is how all businesses are thinking nowadays.

>> No.17160514

>>17160336
The "collective bargaining power" you mentioned is destroyed by all the idiot carriers who see $1.50 a mile rate and agree to it. Demand will always be high, carriers need to have balls and get the money they deserve. Maybe you're right that it should be unionized but I disagree. I just think carriers are only educated to drive and because of that they're played like idiots (because they are) by the market because they'll take anything. I just think carriers should be more informed about how the industry works while getting their CDL and authority. A broker getting a load for $3000 and paying a broker $800 is absurd, and I've seen it happy many times. Carriers might be retarded but they're getting fucked in the ass.

>> No.17160536

>>17158674
You want to be a serial killer or something?

>> No.17160550

>>17160514
Ya I mean don't get me wrong, I'm generally not pro-union, but my point is that individually these carriers have no leverage. Even if some of them do get educated and stand up for themselves as you're suggesting, the brokers will tell them to fuck off and find a dumber one. The market is oversaturated as it is, doesn't seem like there's a shortage of carriers to me at all.

With a union they'd essentially have strength in numbers. I'm not quick to suggest it but it's the only way I can see carriers getting a more fair rate in this market, otherwise the majority of them will continue to be economically victimized because they don't know any better.

>> No.17160593

>>17160380
Do you have your own authority? The moment you get your DOT you're on everyone's radar as a potential customer or candidate. All that information is public and scrubbed by hundreds of companies the moment you're on the FMCSA database.

>> No.17160658

>>17160550
I see your point. But how? The FMCSA is a shit show, their websites look like something from 1998, OOIDA is as useless to truckers and the NRA is to truckers. Who should unite the industry? Certainly not Landstar, Swift, Coyote, Knight and others. Does the Federal government need to step in at this point? I don't know.

>> No.17160676

>>17160658
exactly, it wont happen. This fight is over and lost for drivers looking to unionize.

>> No.17160677

>>17160477
Cringe. Try driving a truck then you can have an opinion

>> No.17160695

>>17160658
The govt wants to eliminate trucking bc it used to be a breadwinner job for white males. Any industry that provides jobs for white males will be attacked by regulation and immigration

>> No.17160699

>>17160142
>when I myself drove 5000 more miles last year and my 1099's have me at 6k less income

You working more for less is unironically good for the economy.

It's a feature not a bug in capitalism

>> No.17160701

>>17160477
Yeah and o/o's or small fleets ran on shady MCs by pajeet-n-co already do it for under costal minimum wage and still dropping. The 3-5X base costs (over a brand new truck) and legally required driver/watcher aren't going to beat out someone in a 01 freightliner doing it for a dollar a mile.

The only way it beats the current system of shitskinnery is retooling the entire production model/just in time delivery system to take advantage of a solo being able to possibly run on a team schedule. You know what also runs on a team schedule? 2 towlies in the same truck!

Smart contracts are going to push office cucks shit in way faster than that. It's significantly easier to automate jobs only requiring "brainpower" over one that is machinery based. Doctors and lawyers are toast well before semi AI's are common...especially with the per person cost savings. Same thing with McDonald's and the currently available hamburger robots; you already pay the humans shit wages, there's no margins to save on investing millions in capital to replace the physically moving positions. Ordering kiosks and self checkout, sure. Humanoid robot to stock shelves and replace the crackhead that does it for 7 bucks an hour? No.

>> No.17160782
File: 698 KB, 1125x2436, 47FC0811-8F56-4F8F-A672-77A7839CCF70.png [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google]

Based and extremely redpilled. How do you feel about Trumps efforts to reduce migration? I think we need net negative for a few years to really ‘right the bot’.

>> No.17160792

>>17160701
You sound like every drunk trucker that calls every day at work, find a rest stop and take a nap.

>> No.17160879

My dad's a trucker and makes good money. The lifestyle seems pretty rough though.

>> No.17160936

where's freight broker anon?

>> No.17160945
File: 31 KB, 700x359, l-18374-born-on-a-mountain-raised-in-a-cave.jpg [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google]

I drive for a smallish company, ~150 trucks. We have our own brokerage, I drive o/o under the company's authority. Usually I do OK. I'll be retiring from my XMR stack when it hits 20K, so I'm not worried about self driving trucks. But occasionally I get a backhaul from CH Robinson. They can lick my ass.

>> No.17160990

>>17159695
>Look how many trucks are plated in Quebec

Fuck Quebec

>> No.17161005

>>17159196
>Not in our lifetimes.
HAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHA Okay retard.
See you in 5 years.

>> No.17161070

>>17160792
Lol enjoy you last 12-24 months of easy paychecks you fucking diversity hire faggot. Shipping contracts are second only to derivatives swaps. Your ass is about to get replaced by an IF/THEN statement running on my neet node.

>> No.17161073

>>17160701
Agree that office jobs are going to be automated as well, but drivers will be replaced faster than people think.

If true "AI vehicles" are too far off, they'll just start fitting all major roads and highways with electronic markers, and essentially have the trucks follow a pre-programmed route using these markers. This will essentially eliminate ~70-80% of all driving jobs, and only leave the more remote routes (think mining/lumber camps, oil fields, etc.) left for the actual human drivers.

You can all turn your nose up at this but one way or another driving will largely be automated well before 2050.

>> No.17161112

>>17158766
Someone should start a blockchain startup handling the paperwork for truck drivers, decentralized shipping

bullish for link tbqh

>> No.17161119

>>17160699
Capitalism has resulted in LOWER hours over time though, you're an idiot.

>> No.17161245

i own a sand hauling trucking company with 5 mill gross revenue AMA

>> No.17161280

>>17161073
That's been a pipe dream since the 90's, embedding magnetic strips/sensors in roads near San Diego for robo cars.

The field of view required to safely operate a semi is much larger than current technology can cheaply handle. You need to look down a street 2-3 blocks, through obstructions, to see if it's safe to pull out into the street. You have to plan on letting opposing traffic all go before you make a 90 right requiring the oncoming lane, and a safe spot to stop/wait while also not hindering office cucks driving to their wife's sons basketball game.

You have to see cars turning onto the on ramp 20-30s in front of you and get over/slow accordingly. Current systems don't do that, they emergency brake at the last second (when or more likely IF the vision sensors finally see it in their fov) from 65+ down to 35-20 to let cars merge in front of them. Just once or twice by a single truck doing that at rush hour brings the entire road to a standstill. Now imagine every truck on the road doing it. Plus cargo doesn't survive that way, especially with how warehouse spics lazily wrap and load it.

You futuristic faggots continue to ignore the blaringly obvious fault in front of every bit of "progress" you daydream up; logical systems (computers) only work when everything else is operating logically. Women and niggers don't operate vehicles logically. Women and niggers don't work logically. Women and niggers can't produce anything of value on their own, logically. See the fucking weak spot in your soi based wetdreams?

>> No.17161305

>>17161245
Why are you a tripniggerfaggot on an anonymous board? Pneumatic or those boxes?

>> No.17161333
File: 564 KB, 1440x810, Screen Shot 2019-07-22 at 7.40.00 PM.png [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google]

>>17161305
because ive made people millions of dollars who have followed my every word

>> No.17161352

>>17161305
dump trailers obviously

>> No.17161404

>>17161352
Yikes.

Or you're a gov contract leech. Why quote gross instead of just saying high teens trucks or actual net of 350?

>> No.17161432

>>17161404
non gov contracts idiot. I haul sand for homebuilders in texas. Plumbing, flatwork and mason sand mostly

>> No.17161449

>>17161119
the anon works more for less. Stockholders like low wages.

>> No.17161468

>>17161449
they dont control wage rates though, the labour market does

>> No.17161627

Why should we care about truckers getting paid less? That's capitalism, baby. And why aren't we importing Polish immigrants to take care of the trucker shortage?

>> No.17161699

Well, this thread effectively de-FUD’s VIDT since it has become apparent that there is a MULTITUDE of truckers on this board, that definitely are invested in different things.

>In this world you gotta truck, or be trucked, bro

>> No.17161721
File: 64 KB, 1141x741, kek sign @ 3150 indianapolis.jpg [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google]

>>17161280
You forget that as time goes by, regular cars are going to be fitted with more and more electronic safety features as well.

Eventually every vehicle on the road will share a digital map of every other nearby vehicle. This will become standard and required by law. At that point all of the shit you're talking about with semis being larger and needing a larger field of view and blah blah blah will be irrelevent because every vehicle will know where every other vehicle is within a 6 block radius.

Face it, you prehistoric boomers are going the way of the dinosaurs. Better start learning to code.

>> No.17161782

>>17159196
You are literally retarded.
https://www.caranddriver.com/news/a30200730/self-driving-semitruck-cross-country/

>> No.17162327

>>17161112
Those would be carrier-dispatching companies. There are thousands.

>> No.17162494

>>17161721
Sure. Every vehicle on the road will have to be phased out (made illegal and crushed to prevent operating) and only teslas are allowed. Ignoring that we're still at a stage of "niggers are too stupid and poor to get free gov id's to vote", let alone "niggers buy a tesla or spend 20 bucks ubering to buy blunts it's the law" I'm sure the job I'm going to retire from after 5-7 years of having no rent/saving and not buying starwars funkos is going to break me.

You said so yourself, white o/o's end up having to learn the biz to survive...which translates into pretty reasonable experience in a ton of other fields. Not including the fact that most people I've met out here under boomer age didn't chose this as a first job, plenty of dudes can fall back to trades or even on dumbass meme degrees. Office cucks have zero (0) real world knowledge or useful skills, and are getting replaced multiple decades before truck drivers, even with your optimistic timeframe.

I ran multiple logistics operations and have substantial experience now from both ends of warehouse inbound and outbound, also managed 20+ people in an IT/healthcare setting (for 18/h lel).

Not even worried personally, and anyone that should be will die from beetus or a heart attack before it matters. Enjoy Starbucks.

>> No.17162682

Let's tell some lot lizard stories, freight-bros