[ 3 / biz / cgl / ck / diy / fa / ic / jp / lit / sci / vr / vt ] [ index / top / reports ] [ become a patron ] [ status ]
2023-11: Warosu is now out of extended maintenance.

/biz/ - Business & Finance

View post   

File: 71 KB, 500x332, 1468960720531.png [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google]
1682837 No.1682837 [Reply] [Original]

Buying physical copies of things is stupid in this day and age. I'm moving and going through my stuff because of that, and I realised how much now useless crap I own.
Books, for example. Hundreds of books that are maybe worth a couple of bucks now and I will never read them again. Or DVDs or old computers or whatever.

Why can't we just lease everything these days? Subscribe to apple and pay a yearly fee to always get the newest phone or notebook and all your data and books and movies are all in a cloud somewhere or subscription based as well.

Why buy anything except the few things that don't depreciate in value and consumer goods?

>> No.1682857

>>1682837
Once you've bought guns & roses on tape, CD, mp3 or Star Wars on VHS, DVD, and bluray, it gets expensive and exhausting.

eventually you realize you're not going to change your 2000 DVD collection to digital copies and you might as well just buy a couple more DVD's because they're cheap now and fuck it you'll die before you buy your whole collection again in a different format.

>> No.1682862

>>1682857
Well you don't need a collection in the first place when you can just subscribe to one at any time

>> No.1682865

>>1682837
Stop buying as soon as I was capable of downloading worthless items.

>Movie collection now over 1,200 on HD
>TV series more than 200 on HD
>Books, thousands on HD what ever I'm reading at present on Kindle
>Games on PC pirate

I do buy physical PS4/XOne games to play with friends. If there was a way around this I would already be onto it.

Minimal life and save thousands each year.

>> No.1682867

>>1682862
the collection is pre-existing.

I had 1,500 DVD's on a shelf long before I had Hulu, Netflix, or even internets.

when you live through a few format changes you eventually drop out and say fuck it. I'm not spending thousands of dollars over the next couple decades watching movies I already paid for and own.

>> No.1682882

>>1682867
I get that
But there is no need to start a new collection is what I'm saying

>>1682865
I'm not into pirating because if I play vidya I usually play online on steam.

But aside from that, what you described is my goal now. Get rid of all the clutter and just own what you really need.