[ 3 / biz / cgl / ck / diy / fa / ic / jp / lit / sci / vr / vt ] [ index / top / reports ] [ become a patron ] [ status ]
2023-11: Warosu is now out of extended maintenance.

/biz/ - Business & Finance

View post   

File: 105 KB, 1920x1541, kermits_special_son.jpg [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google]
1606422 No.1606422 [Reply] [Original]

CS undergrad here. What branch of CS will enable me to make the most money?
Some people here are talking about data science and some others (on /sci/) about artificial intelligence.
What should i specialize in?
What can one generally do with a CS degree (that is not specifically computer related)?

>> No.1606427

>>1606422
Data science is the new fad many companies are getting into. It's going to be used in marketing

>> No.1606595

>>1606422

> enable me to make the most money?

Honestly doing a masters in mathematics/finance and then going into algorithmic trading is the best way to maximize profit unless you have some business idea that you can pitch into venture capital for a startup.

>> No.1606611

Generalist Software Engineers at Big 4 tech companies (Google, Amazon, Facebook, Microsoft) can make quite high salaries right out of the gate. If you don't have the skills/resume/interview chops to get one of those top-tier generalist jobs though, you'll be facing a lot more competition without a specialization.

Personally I'm planning on going into embedded systems hopefully in aerospace. It's a hedge on job security and more interesting work, though it will have a slight pay cut. But on the bright side, there's no threat of outsourcing thanks to ITAR regulations.

>> No.1606760

>>1606595
Not true, and you will hate this job forever.
You do NOT want to be the code monkey.

>> No.1606765

>>1606427
True.

But remember, data analyst != data scientist...

As true in >>1606760 ; you do NOT want to be a number cruncher - you want to be the data SCIENTIST.

Data scientists make $100k base straight outta school, and as senior, landing a 250k is within reach.