[ 3 / biz / cgl / ck / diy / fa / ic / jp / lit / sci / vr / vt ] [ index / top / reports ] [ become a patron ] [ status ]
2023-11: Warosu is now out of extended maintenance.

/biz/ - Business & Finance

View post   

File: 98 KB, 640x640, 1478188119000.jpg [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google]
1599599 No.1599599 [Reply] [Original]

>2:2 Maths degree because muh depression (2.67 GPA or something like that for Americans)
>Teacher for 2 years
>Do a Master's to damage control
>Realise graduate schemes will start hitting deadlines soon
>Realise I can't leverage my MSc this early in the year (or at all in the UK)
>Realise all applications will be rejected automatically for the rest of my life if they have a 2:1 criterion
>Depression starts creeping up slowly at the back of my mind
>post on /biz/ asking for advice to manage my anxiety

I'm too embarrassed to ask anyone else. Do I have any chance of self-actualization without rejecting reality at this stage?

What do I do? Do I lie? How do I bury my Undergrad disaster forever?

>> No.1599601

>>1599599
>Things go wrong
>begin to cry
>retreat to 4chan

Never gonna make it.
Get the fuck back out there, make ends meet, make plans, etc.

>> No.1599603

>>1599599
What are 2:2 and 2:1?

>> No.1599615

>>1599603
1st = 4.00 GPA
2:1 = 3.00 - 3.67 GPA
2:2 = 2.00 - 2.67 GPA
Third (40%-50%)
Fail (=<40%)

2:1 is the "I did a degree" tick for most employers (it's practically the law).

>> No.1599627

>>1599601
What exactly?

1. Hide it and leave it blank on applications.
2. Lie about it and hope they don't check (considered fraud and grounds for gross misconduct plus 6 months ban from neetbux plus non reference and an even more difficult situation)
3. Move to a different county that actually appreciates Master's degrees and respects them as the highest achievement.

>> No.1599645

>>1599599

apply for the civil service and do good extracurriculars. Use indeed.co.uk to search for stuff

If it makes you feel better I got a 2.1 and cant pass interviews due to autism

>> No.1599646

>>1599627
What's the issue?

>Maths degree at 2:2, not the best but fuck, it's still a second class and still MATHS, which is great
>Have an MSc
>Has at least 2 years working experience

????????
Pretty sure the MSc overrides the significance of the 2:1 anyway, criteria are just to weed out the worthless. With an MSc you should be fine.

>realise grad schemes will be closing
So, applied to how many so far?

>> No.1600104

>>1599599
what subject is your masters in?

>> No.1600165

>>1599646
I don't wanna delve too deep into it but I failed myself first and foremost as I was easily capable of achieving a 1st.

>Pretty sure the MSc overrides the significance of the 2:1 anyway

This is the problem, it doesn't. As soon as an application requests the grades, I will be rejected by a bot. This is why I'm asking, what would happen if I.... you know.... LIED! I might spill the beans to careers advice but I'm almost certain they'll tell me not to under any circumstances.

>So, applied to how many so far?

0. The only ones that accept 2:2 offer shit salaries like NHS at £23k/annum. I actually made a decent salary as a teacher so I value myself much, much more than that - I quit that shit career to improve my prospects after all.

>>1600104
MSc Statistics.

>> No.1600170
File: 9 KB, 231x240, 1414498743001.jpg [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google]

>>1599599

You do realize that "depression" is just the condition of a broken ego?

It's a coping mechanism that the ego erects to protect itself from the realization of failure.

>> No.1600183

>>1600170
What's your point?

>> No.1600190

>>1600165
which uni?

Just asking cos I'm in a similar position but graduated 3 years ago and considering doing a masters but not sure if I'd get onto any courses (I did graduate from a good uni though).

My advice would be there are good jobs out there that are not grad schemes and you would not be auto rejected by a bot

>> No.1600219

>>1600190
I don't want to specify, but I'll say it's top 10-ish but not quite Oxbridge.

I think the only reason they gave me an offer was because they were sort of familiar with the situation, and you only needed one internal reference for their own students. I got rejected from all other places, even in Europe (such as ETH, SSE).

I travelled to one Uni to speak face to face to admissions and ask them how to approach the situation but their smile quickly dropped and implied I shouldn't even bother applying as they wouldn't accept it anyway.

I plan to get top-grades + do a GMAT test on my own accord + a bunch of extracurriculars - but the problem is it is November and I have none of that to show yet. If I apply now to any Grad Scheme/Ph.D program, they will look at my 2:2 since I won't have my MSc grade till September 2017.

I'd say try to focus your home Uni. Anyway, do I lie?

>> No.1600272

>>1600219
I did get 59.5% not even sure if it makes a difference, do you think they would view it same as someone who got 60%?

Thanks for the advice, definitely adjusting my expectations, my home uni is in top 10 too (Not oxbridge/imperial/ but a level below that), not even sure if my home uni would give me an offer.

I wouldn't lie because they are going to find out eventually and they could replace you easily with someone else on the waiting list

>> No.1600293

>>1600272
Talk to whoever was your personal career advisor/tutor during your undergrad and ask them. They care about the success rates of their graduates - so your success is in their interest.

For 59.5%, you should have claimed some sort of extenuating circumstances to get the 0.5%.

Alternatively, you can try a German Uni with low entry requirements. Their higher education culture is superior in most ways:
>Easy to get into
>Hard to graduate
>You actually learn stuff, and it's what you do on your course that counts - not "MUH VOLUNTEERED AND CLEANED VETERAN SHIT EXTRACURRICULARS"
>Low tuition fees
>Actually learn things
>Squaring a year isn't considered the end of your life.

>> No.1600308

>>1600293
I'm not sure if my tutor cares that much about me, saw the guy 4 times after 1st year of uni, doubt he would even remember me now

I didn't have a valid reason at the time and I felt like I deserved it (just lost motivation)

I will look into german unis too, thanks again for the advice and apologies for rerailing your thread