[ 3 / biz / cgl / ck / diy / fa / ic / jp / lit / sci / vr / vt ] [ index / top / reports ] [ become a patron ] [ status ]
2023-11: Warosu is now out of extended maintenance.

/biz/ - Business & Finance

View post   

File: 224 KB, 680x498, zoomzoom.gif [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google]
15952149 No.15952149 [Reply] [Original]

(1/2)
Good evening lads,

Zoomer here. Had a question for you all; I'm a bit more than halfway through my first semester at uni, going for a Computer Engineering degree. I have no doubts as to my choice of major, this is the exact type of autistic shit I like doing, but having doubts as to my choice of uni. It isn't a bad school, but:

-It's about two hours away from the nearest decently sized city
-CE as a major has very few people, therefore I have yet to find anybody who shares my autistic passion for computers.
-I already have some official experience (internship), as well as several certs (entry level but industry recognized), and the more I talk to people my age the more I realize the only intelligent discourse I really enjoyed was at my internship, with people who have experience and I can learn from while also being in an environment where I have to get shit done and subsequently learn a lot and quickly.

I have though about it a lot as well as done some research, and I reached the conclusion that I should finish at least my bachelors - there's a lot of debate about it's usefulness and whether a degree is worth the time in this day and age, but as I'm going into a technical field I feel like I should just get it over with and not be afraid of having it bite me in the ass later. BUT I would also like to work part time in the industry in parallel to getting my degree so that I can have the experience that I want and is nice to have by the time I finish uni.
That said I have a few options here - I can continue my education here (I'm set to finish in 3 years so that's a plus), but I'm pretty much guaranteed to have no friends and no job for those 3 years.
Or I can transfer to another uni after this semester or second semester, most likely losing most of my credits in the process (I have researched this as well, it's going to happen), and go to a uni in my home city, which definitely has jobs for me that won't be too hard to find.

>> No.15952192

>>15952149
(2/2)
While in my home city, I can get back into the role I had during my internship and actually begin being more and more useful - potentially they'll start paying me after some time, and then I'll actually have 2-3 years work experience by the time I'm done with uni, which would keep me sane and be a huge plus.
The last option is one of those sketchy 'online degrees' - meaning I work in my home city more or less full time, but those seem like a meme and I don't know how well recognized they are in the industry.

tl;dr
Should I spend 3 years in a uni doing nothing but studying and side projects on my own, go to a uni in my home city where I can work and study at the same time (this would take longer and I'd lose 1 or 2 semesters of classes at this uni), but I'd get to work and gain experience, or work and do an online degree?

>inb4 /g/ tier thread
/g/ is for larping fags who don't know shit, which is my I'm here

>> No.15952216

>>15952149
Forgot to add I'm in the US.

>> No.15952259

>>15952149
depends on how much you'll make working

>> No.15952260

>>15952216
>gets shot
not the brightest career prospects anon

>> No.15952267

I did two years studying comp e and have always loved electrical and programming hobbies, but I switched to agricultural systems management cause the school I was going to was autistic level money sucker. Now I get to learn about farming systems like gps but still enjoy computers and programming as a hobby that I won’t end up hating because I get stuck behind a desk doing it 8 hours a day.

I was just like you, had the highest ACT in my school and thought it was just what I wanted to do, but the truth is I learned that you should go to school for something you don’t know anything about and keep your passion for yourself. None of that answers what you’re asking, but if you haven’t made it through the weed out classes like physics 2 and Calc 3 and statics and all that yet then you haven’t really got to the stressful part yet. Mine was the MIT of the Midwest and it became clear they were praying on intelligent kids only to purposely try and fail them and get the scholarship money back. If you aren’t getting paid for your internship than fuck that. You have the right attitude with just getting a degree and getting it over with, but make sure comp e really is what you want to do cause I ended up wasting 2 years school wise. Also C++ is a college professor meme, no one really uses it irl anymore.

>> No.15952406
File: 6 KB, 190x250, janny.jpg [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google]

>>15952267
Thanks for the reply fren

I'll take this opportunity to provide some more detail.
I want to go into cybersecurity, specifically pentesting, as the first job I really want to hold for a few years before starting my own business. (this is just background, let's not get into cybersec and what it entails)
I wanted a CE degree originally because CS is a meme and hardware/low level shit is what requires above a Pajeet-tier IQ. CE is valuable in infosec, and all my infosec knowledge I am learning myself and going to school for that shit is retarded (certs). As you said anon, I went for CE because I knew little about hardware and digital logic and wanted to learn all that, while learning infosec by myself because I knew I could do it and it's easy. But I quickly begun my own side project with ARM and logic gates and circuits and shit and again, I'm learning at a pace far quicker than I ever would in uni. I'm taking calc 3 and physics 2 right now, and they are not difficult for me in the slightest, so the 'it'll be hard later meme' I find hard to believe, as they push that shit since grade 1 and it's always a fucking lie - school was never hard for me in the slightest.

As for my internship, I did get paid for my work over summer, but it was very ad-hoc and nothing substantial (less than min wage). It really isn't about money too much, yes I would LOVE to get paid a good amount, and I know the people there well enough to know that if I begin to really contribute to projects (I'm far more able to do this now than I was in the summer, I've learned a lot more applicable stuff since then, on my own ofc), they will begin paying me regularly. And even if the pay is shit, the knowledge I will pull from that over 2-3 years will be so much greater than from uni, and I'll have 3 years work experience on my resume, which alone is worth a lot.
>>15952260
Nice meme - I'll shoot back desu.

>> No.15952431

>>15952406
Well sounds like you already got everything figured out then fren. Enjoy and fuck off back to /g/

>> No.15952462

>>15952149
too long didnt read

drop out and work and buy bitcoin for 8 years. u will be retired in 10. dont fall for the meme degree