[ 3 / biz / cgl / ck / diy / fa / ic / jp / lit / sci / vr / vt ] [ index / top / reports ] [ become a patron ] [ status ]
2023-11: Warosu is now out of extended maintenance.

/biz/ - Business & Finance

View post   

File: 610 KB, 1280x1280, Pencil.jpg [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google]
1566799 No.1566799 [Reply] [Original]

>current senior majoring in Comp Sci
>good GPA, 3.2
>0 personal projects
>0 connections to people int he industry
>0 networking
>0 internships

How do I get a programming job? Am I just fucked?

>> No.1566803
File: 14 KB, 218x231, download.jpg [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google]

>3.2 GPA
>good

>> No.1566822

>>1566799
Start a personal project Stat. It's not a meme.

I had a 2.7gpa, no internship, no network, no job history in industry. All I had was a music app I had written for android and a couple of shitty school project websites. Put out applications, during interview just talked about my music app and how it was constructed.

Got offered 70k job.

Put all personal and school projects on git hub, give them a link to your github along with your resume.

>> No.1566828

>>1566822
What did the app do and what were the school project sites?

>> No.1566843

>>1566828
The app was my capstone project. It did some music manipulation. The sites were super generic, hello world I know how to HTML and CSS bullshit. You can literally look up basic coding problems, solve them, then post the code on github.

It just proves you care. Although, they sometimes will look at code quality.

>> No.1566848

>>1566799
Who told you that a 3.2 GPA was good?

>> No.1566867

>>1566799
If you really liked programming, you wouldn't need to ask that question. You would have already been contributing to open source projects on github or writing your own software and selling it. People who are actually passionate about programming don't ever need to look for a job, because the jobs come to them, or they're already making a living for themselves. It sounds like you just fell for the STEM meme because you thought it would make you rich.

My advice is to find something you're actually passionate about in life and do that for a living.

>> No.1566882

>>1566799
Well, it looks like you've identified your shortcomings. Those zeroes? Turn them into integers.

>> No.1566888

>>1566882
0 is an integer.

>> No.1566926

>>1566799
>0 personal projects
that's bad news

>> No.1566933

>>1566888
Natural numbers

>> No.1566937

>>1566888

checkOpFaggotry($pedantic)
{
if !pedantic
return("OP is a faggot");
else
return("probably still a faggot");
}

checkOpFaggotry("0 is an integer"); // returns "OP is a faggot"

>> No.1566948

>>1566937
God, find a style guide

In other news, OP, dont feel bad. There is always time for this shit. CS doesn't attract everyone equally. It's okay to just want a coding job. Just get a couple projects up there and you'll be good to go.

>> No.1566959

>>1566937
There's nothing pedantic about saying 0 is an integer. It is, by definition. Read a fucking book.

>> No.1566981

Contribute to open source to get experience, build personal project of some sort

>> No.1566989

>>1566959

the user understood the context yet pointed out some small detail as if it was an actual point to refute the previous statement.

That is by definition pedantic - maybe you should take your own advice.

>> No.1567279

>>1566799
Your fucked, the thing in my opinion that would hurt you the most is not having a portfolio. At least you have a Github or a stackexchange...right?

>> No.1567386

>>1566989
All he said was that 0 is an integer, which is true. He wasn't refuting shit.

>> No.1567403

It is my opinion that you are going to start out in the suck no matter what you do. All you have to do is start doing something in programming. I got small little jobs in designing websites off sites like craigslist and forums and eventually worked up to have skills to make good money.

>> No.1567416
File: 119 KB, 500x513, belittling wojaks.png [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google]

>>1566937
Wait a minute here. If you want to see pedantic, I'll show you pedantic.

Your code is shit, and doesn't return "OP is a faggot". You're passing a string into the function as an argument, but treating it as a boolean in the body of the function. That is an absolutely fundamental mistake. This code will error at runtime.

You don't know shit about programming, do you? And you tried to be witty and funny with some shit code.

>> No.1567509

>>1566799
I can only notice all of the books behind her, and how it all ties into the fact that whoever owns those books probably has the IQ of a potato.

>> No.1567601

>>1566799
>>0 personal projects
Why do you want to be a programmer when you clearly don't enjoy doing it?

I've never met a successful developer who didn't code in his free time.

>> No.1567733
File: 8 KB, 259x194, download (1).jpg [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google]

>>1566867

>My advice is to find something you're actually passionate about in life and do that for a living

this is the the worst career advice to ever become a meme, and its the reason many people like OP spend their life unsatisfied with their work. Let me explain:

The truth is that unless you have a personality disorder that makes you enjoy a task most others cant stand, then you have normal passions like playing sports or video games. The only way to get paid for following normal passions is to work at it to a degree where you cant stand to do it anymore and its not your passion.

Meanwhile, Mr. Autismo Bytesworth develops a love for writing compilers. He probably never thinks about how he could work harder at coding and hone those skills. The fact that so few people began programming at age 8 means that people will pay even if he hasnt reached his full potential. If he were forced to practice long and hard at it, he would quickly lose interest in his passion too.

The answer is to accept that unless you have some weird disorder, its going to suck developing skills that people are willing to pay for. Through acceptance and careful planning, you can minimize the time spent gitting gud. THEN once you have the skills you planned to develop, you will naturally enjoy being one of the best in the field. It becomes a passion.

>> No.1567829

How complex do personal project have to be?

>> No.1567930

>>1567416
Depend on the language, negation can work or fail on strings

>> No.1567934
File: 118 KB, 640x640, tumblr_nnpauhktk31uoa7yvo2_1280.jpg [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google]

>>1566799

>> No.1567935
File: 64 KB, 640x640, 30b51e0364dcae4760e9cb1258e632c2.jpg [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google]

>>15667

>> No.1567942

>>1566799
>0 personal projects
How the fuck has this happened. What do you do during your holidays/weekends.

I wouldn't touch a programmer who has no personal projects. Have you never thought of a idea that interested you and tried to implement it?

Do you only dream of being a wageslave getting told what to make. A GPA by itself is little indication of programming ability imo. 0 personal projects shows a lack of creativity and drive.

>> No.1568005

>>1566799
>0 personal projects
>comp sci major

Do you enjoy your major or are you in it for the moneys? There is no reason why you have no personal projects. A job isn't just going to throw itself at you if you haven't proven yourself in some way.

>> No.1568028

>>1567416

Just fucking around m8. Why the fuck would i go out of my way to write a function that would determin if a string is pedantic. It would have to be a full blown language recognition AI. I ain't do that shit as part of a pseudo-code joke my nigga.

There's also a typo in there
>if !pedantic
pedantic isn't referenced as a variable within the function. And i quite clearly meant to write "if $pendantic" not "if !pendantic"

For the sake of being pedantic let's say it was, in a lot of languages if the variable is null it will return as false. If the variable contains data it will return as true. Especially when written as a shorthand conditional.

You are right but not for the reason you think you are. Faggot.

>> No.1568057

>>1566799
you dont.

>> No.1568278

>>1567942
curious, how do you prove personal projects?

I've been fucking around with machine learning and numer.ai and have a prediction in top20 that pays a few bucks

how could I use this in an interview?

>> No.1568317

>>1568278
............github

I swear to god I'm going to post a how to dev job one of these days

Its like trying to be a photographer with no portfolio.

>> No.1568326

>>1567935
who is dis

>> No.1568332

>>1567942
>I wouldn't touch a programmer who has no personal projects.
exactly it usually means he was never meant to be a programmer just wanted a well paying popular job

>> No.1568334

>>1568278
well they ask 5 questions about it and if you never did anything you will be found out in 5 minutes. they will also want to look at the source.

>> No.1568343

>>1568278
>>1568334
to expand on this we had a guy come to us for an interview he had a very fucking interesting and pretty deep shit as his thesis. his cv was so impressive and his thesis paper so serious we were almost ready to hire him it was just a formality. so we asked a few questions about it and programming in general. quickly turned out he probably had almost nothing to do with the project and he barely knew any programming. he most likely simply bought his thesis paper and cheated on all his exams and payed for all his homework while spent his time like drinking and whoring at the uni.

we turned him down of course.

>> No.1568352

>>1566799

wake the fuck up then bro, just having a linkedin saying you are a dev will get you tons of job offers.

work on something you like, and upload to github so you have an example when someone mails you

>> No.1568374

>>1566799
I hire programmers. My interview goes like this: 40 minutes to just chat about hypothetical situations to ensure you're not a total autist. give them a chance to talk about personal projects.

then I do 40 minutes where we do 4 simple java questions and 2 simple sql queries.

we do most training on the job on my team. it's just web programming (java spring) so it's really simple.

>> No.1568417

>>1568374
>40 minutes where we do 4 simple java questions and 2 simple sql queries.
so you hire toddlers not programmers

>> No.1568425

>>1568417
no, we can sponsor h1b so I get to pick the best. if they don't do all 6 questions perfectly they are not considered.

I can get a pretty good feel for someone's programming skills just by talking with them

>> No.1568516

>>1566799

POST THOSE TITS

>> No.1568522

>>1566803
I guess its a good thing literally 0 humans check that shit, unless you're an engineerfag

>> No.1568596
File: 293 KB, 558x561, 1404689704550.png [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google]

>>1566803
The only people who worry about GPA are pre-med students, engineers, and lawyers who want to go to Cornell. To everyone else it means right around jack shit. No one is ever going to ask a full stack developer about his GPA. They only want to know that he can do the work.

>> No.1569369

I just interviewed at Tesla, Nvidia and Google over the summer. Just graduated in May, ~3.9 GPA, Master's with a thesis for the US Navy containing a lot of computer vision and machine learning.

I didn't get an offer from Google, but I got close (third round of interviews after the onsight, which means they're on the fence about you). Considering how picky they are it's still pretty auspicious. Said I was too inexperienced.

Tesla and Nvidia both made offers in the 120k range. But I ended up declining due to how bad traffic and COL is in the Bay Area. I'm from the Reno area, so having to drive 2 hours to go 20 miles in the bay was a deal breaker. Plus my rent is under $500 here, so I didn't think it was worth it.

Ended up taking a job at a defense contractor in my home state for about 105k. and think I made the right call. I can get to work in less than 15 minutes, keep my rent low, and taxes here are a fucking joke.

My advice is to network, and study your ass off for interviews. Networking will get you in the door, and from there the questions they ask are usually variations on basic Data Structure / Algorithms questions. Study both CtCI and PIE, do all the questions three or four times.

Ask me anything you want about getting an CS job, and I'll try to answer.

>> No.1569390

>>1569369
Would you say that CS is for everyone?
I'm burnt out with my major and wish I had studied it but it's too late and probably just the grass being greener.
What absolutely pisses you off about the job?
Are there days you wish you studied something else?

>> No.1569419

>>1569390

>Would you say that CS is for everyone?

Definitely not. It's hard work. It's competitive. You'll be constantly learning new things, all of the time. Finding your first job can be a nightmare. However if you put the time into studying and learning, you'll make it. Just don't expect it to be easy.

>I'm burnt out with my major and wish I had studied it but it's too late and probably just the grass being greener. What absolutely pisses you off about the job?

Non-technical managers, long hours, meetings. Mostly corporate bullshit. You're in an overtime exempt field. There's this really shitty Bay Area culture where people complete to see who give up the most of their life to the company.

> I only sleep x hours a day
> I get in at 8:00 am and leave at 11:00pm
> I've stop eating anything but Soylent, it saves so much time

Corporate of course loves this behavior, and encourages it. They'll bring dinner into the office at 7:00PM, offer breakfast at 8:00am. If you try keep a normal 9-5 schedule you run the risk of getting fired for 'not being a team player' or 'being a bad culture fit' or something along those lines.

>> No.1569421

>>1569390
>>1569419

>cont

>Are there days you wish you studied something else?

Surprisingly no. The great thing about CS is how many other fields it touches. I have friends who work in gaming, bio-med, finance, web-design, autonomous cars, etc. There's so much room to move around between disciplines; I can't think of any other degree that offers the same flexibility.

Plus the work itself has the potential to be really interesting. Back before I got my Master's I worked for a startup that specialized in Eye-Tracking software. It was fun working on a technology that no one had perfected yet. Me and a few other guys were solving problems that few other people even knew existed. In a little under three months we build a interface that would let you send emails just by swiveling your eyes around. We brought in a quadriplegic gentlemen, and watched as he wrote his first email ever, to his wife and kids. It was really fulfilling.

My advice is to try and online class, or community college course in introduction to CS and see if it's something you find interesting. Just dip your feet in a little and see if its for you.

>> No.1569427

I assume everyone in this thread lives in a big city? I live in a less than 30,000 size town and there's 1-2 programming jobs per year and all ask for 10 years experience on a language that isn't 5 years old yet.

I have
>portfolio website
>MVC example
>tons of IT experience
>basic SEO
>websites I made for people for a reference

I do great on phone interviews and make it known very much that I can relocate in days but it always comes down to that I am not local.

I have somewhere to stay in the closest big city, St. Louis and am moving soon. where do you guys getting these offers live? I'd be happy with 50k a year coming from this nowhere land.

>> No.1569430

>>1569427
Get a degree you loser.

>> No.1569433

>>1569430
yes forgot to mention
>u-undergraduate

>> No.1569548

>>1566799
Please post those tits, except this time hanging out. Pls.

>> No.1569590

>>1566799

Do a couple open source projects and use that on your resume to help pad it.

>> No.1569675

>>1566799
POST THAT SEMEN DEMON NOW!!!

>> No.1569816
File: 55 KB, 617x409, 1474640746204.jpg [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google]

>>1566799
op don't be a fag post the name of this fine lady.

>> No.1569938

>>1568522
>I guess its a good thing literally 0 humans check that shit
maybe if you went to a shit college

>> No.1570299

>business majors thinking their 3.2 is equivalent to a STEM 3.2
3.2 is alright, start adding random people on LinkedIn and go to some tech expos.

>> No.1571074

>>1569369
Don't you think this is the really the new meme degree? I never use that term, but for this case, it is what people generally study as a tangible skill when they have no interests, or have some moral obligation beset by their parents to make tons of money. Everyone is fed this shit about programming how it is beautiful and like a poem and how creative and artistic it can be so that degenerate nobodies can flock to it and realize how hard it is for them since they haven't done *EWWW MATH* since they were 17.

In this situation, the job seeking graduate has no soul for what they do, and has been forced to compete their degree for the sake of completing it and hoping that there will be a job waiting for them.

How do you feel about this type of person? Do you feel they'll last and continually get hired and generate lackluster content? Do you feel that people who truly don't enjoy to program are in the wrong place and should quit because their level of happiness in their position is reflected in their work?

>> No.1571084

>>1569369
Is a Master's worth the time and money? In my case it would also be an opportunity to get an internship in, since I'm on my last semester and haven't done one.

>> No.1571211

>>1571074
Not the Tesla/Nvidia/Google hotshot, but let me weigh in.

In all honesty, I'm one of those "job seeking graduates" that you're talking about. I'm currently doing my undergrad in CS at a top 10 school, and to be honest it's a long and hard slog. I'm not much interested in what seems dull and lifelessly technical (taking an assembly class and very mathy algorithms course right now). GPA's in the ~3.7 range right now; struggling to maintain average performance on midterms this semester.

Not sure whether it's the chicken and egg struggle where I'm bad at it because I don't have passion/interest in the field, or the other way around. Either way, a few semesters into this program and I'm already feeling pretty drained.

But anyway, I think that you writing off people like me who're in the field as lifeless automata with "no interests" isn't just unfair, it's fundamentally inaccurate. The one humanities class I'm taking (a foreign language) is very interesting to me and I regularly perform top in it, but I don't see a future for myself in the field. It's like this anon >>1567733
said: I like it, but not to the point where I can't stand to do it anymore and turn what used to be a passion into the usual 9 to 5 drudgery. Plus, I'll be honest: I value financial independence and I don't see a future that doesn't involve my parents subsidizing me out of college if I were to switch my major over to this foreign language.

I mean, I look at it this way: on this corner of the internet, it's really popular to bash SJWs and AIDS Skrillex cucks for majoring in something like Gender Studies or Communications who then find themselves 100k in debt and attempt to solve this problem by voting Bernie Sanders. And to be honest, they deserve it: they chose their interests over financial security, and they refuse to reap the consequences and instead depend on others to subsidize their bad decisions.

(cont.)

>> No.1571217
File: 281 KB, 518x391, checkem.png [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google]

>>1566822
>Tfw 2.7 GPA, an internship, job experience with the university, and a bunch of school projects (capstone was a travel website), and I still get told by a dev company that "the experience you have doesn't count"

Maybe the manager that interviewed me was an asshat? Ironically, it was a dev company that made Christian based software.

>> No.1571228

>>1571211
But for those would-be Bernbots who fire a couple neurons, consciously decide to forego studying Chaucer or East Asian Studies, and instead pick something like CS that they can support themselves on: well, what else do you *want* from them? Everybody wants financial security, but not everybody has the fortune to be intrinsically interested in a field famed for getting you an 80k/year job straight out of college. And the argument that "buh-buh-buh super passion will land you big results anywhere" doesn't hold water with economics and statistics showing fundamental limits in certain kinds of fields.

I mean, how else do you explain how so many dozens of people who love, eat, drink, shit, inhale, exhale English Literature/Medieval History/Renaissance Economics/Archaeology send dozens of applications for one of the precious few professorships or other academic positions at a university, and still end up rejected anyway? Feel free to contest this point, but I doubt very much that it's just "lack of passion" leading to that outcome.

Furthermore, the fact that the tech industry still pays so high, even with all the "filthy casuals" involved in the field, is just evidence that demand is high enough that the industry needs these people anyway. Or, put another way: if everyone who didn't "truly enjoy to program" (or, for that matter, any line of work) quit their jobs the next day, Shit would Hit The Fan very quickly. Jobs (and the world) need workers, even if workers don't necessarily *want* those jobs from the very depths of their heart.

So in other words, the perspective that you have is just adding insult to injury. We're already prioritizing career realism and economic security over interests that happen to be different from yours; and we're struggling to stay alive in a field that may seem like playing games for you.

>> No.1571234

>>1571228
So when you turn around and call us "degenerate nobodies" who have "no soul," it comes across as not only disingenuous, but fundamentally unfair. The market needs us in the game, and we're playing by the rules of the market: unlike the liberal arts majors you love to bash. And, perhaps most poignantly:

We never chose to be born in a world where *on average,* an English or a Philosophy or a History major doesn't make anywhere as much as an Electrical Engineer.

>> No.1571243

>>1571211
I would not want to be in your position. Tech jobs are rapidly drying up (http://spectrum.ieee.org/view-from-the-valley/at-work/tech-careers/analyst-ugly-year-for-tech-layoffs-and-its-going-to-get-worse).). If I were you, I would heavily consider looking at a different pathway.

>> No.1571271

>>1571228
The market is supply and demand. In a field where huge numbers of people eat, sleep, and breathe the work, you should expect the uninterested to get culled first. It's not *because* you have no passion, but because your relative lack of passion has allowed the competition to pass you by.

During booms people like you will be fine because there are lots of jobs. When things are contracting, though, you'll be at the bottom of the heap.

This is exactly the same as your example of english lit/history/whatever majors fighting for a few jobs, except in those cases there's so many more candidates than jobs that you can't see it and it almost seems random who they choose. If there were a bunch of jobs you can bet the passionate people would get them before the unpassionate people.

>> No.1571283

3.2 isn't a good GPA.

It's mediocre.