[ 3 / biz / cgl / ck / diy / fa / ic / jp / lit / sci / vr / vt ] [ index / top / reports ] [ become a patron ] [ status ]
2023-11: Warosu is now out of extended maintenance.

/biz/ - Business & Finance

View post   

File: 939 KB, 317x360, 1392926939686.gif [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google]
156594 No.156594 [Reply] [Original]

Rate my business idea /biz/
>have about $2k to invest
>buy 3D printer
>learn 3D modeling through free online material
>model popular 4chan things (feel man, sad frog, bait fish) in 3d figure form, sell online
>make money without any education and can graduate from NEETdom to productive member of society
What do you think?

>> No.156604

First learn modeling .. THEN buy the printer

>> No.156603

you should make pacemakers

>> No.156607

my business plan is that, but with bitcoins

>> No.156610

awful

only retards from reddit buy meme shit irl.

>> No.156615

>>156610
there's a lot of them

>> No.156623

>>156615
Well depends how much you want to make.

You'd sell shit, whether it's worth the time I'm not sure.

>> No.156629

>>156594
I've been thinking about the same, but live in a country where copyright laws are rarely enforced. So I was thinking of skipping the modeling stuff and ripping models out of videogames. I was also wondering if I should buy a CNC, but I'm not sure if I could make something profitable out of it.

>> No.156780

>>156594
3d modeling on the level you'll have to achieve to make things people will buy is very difficult. Even more so if you have no experience. The steps from novice to beginner and onward become severely exponential. But good luck.

btw 3d printing isn't very profitable. You'd have to sell your creations at ridiculous prices.

>> No.156794

Good idea OP.
>>156623
When is it not worth the time to profit off of idiots? I'm not sure what you're saying.

>> No.156810

>>156594
>buy printer
>learn 3d modeling
>quit after 1 hour
>printer left to dust
There's a reason you're a useless neet.

>> No.156816

>>156594

4chan cannot be monetized. We hate spending shit on principle.

>> No.156902
File: 362 KB, 700x700, 1393092726843.png [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google]

>>156810
This is actually completely accurate.
How do I fix this behavior?
I was very ambitious as a child but now I can't keep myself from spending every waking moment on 4chan.

>> No.156920

>>156902

Harden the fuck up.

Breaking bad habits is like breaking your own arm. Completely doable, completely painful.

>> No.156936

>>156902
as a child you probably ate a lot of sugar
now, probably not so much

>> No.156963

>>156902
You can't find motivation from anywhere but from yourself.

>> No.156988

>>156902
Turn off the computer for a week.

>implying you will last that long

>> No.157004

>>156988
I can do that just fine, if I am say, going out of town for something. I don't even have a decent phone so I'm not glued to that either.
My problem is that I do spend 9/10 days completely in front of my PC, so I want to try and make money using that since I'm comfortable with it.
The problem is I can never come up with a clear goal that I can work towards and see myself making progress, which is in turn disheartening and causes me to lose interest.
I did a few codeacademy courses and completely cleared them. At first I was hopeful but in time, I had no idea what I was going to do with the knowledge so I just sped through it to make myself feel better and proceeded to not apply one iota of what I had learned towards anything constructive.

>> No.157095

>>156594
>learn 3D modeling through free online material

It's easier to hire a cheap 3D modelling student than learn how to in a short time. Fuck Blender, fucking shit handles like 90s shareware.

>> No.157102

>>156988
Did this, garnered a bit more discipline on myself, and learned to calm myself more.
Try it OP

>> No.157157

Why not just print up and sell tshirts with your memes? Far less brain power and money involved.

>> No.157184

>>156594

sell doge figurines

>> No.157350

>>157157
Not to make OP's idea sound good, but the market that you mention is utterly saturated with terrible garbage from places like zazzle/cafepress, or more regulated sites like sharkrobot/teefury

>> No.157387

yeah because current 3D printers are really good at cranking out quality products at a high volume

(no they're not)

also if you want to get that 3D printer actually running you better know a shit ton about hardware and programming cause none of them "work out the box".

you can do it though just you know do a little bit of research and try to actually find some printers to work with before you take the plunge.

>> No.157448

>>157095
I am SO fucking glad somebody else absolutely hates the Blender interface who has actually used it.

>> No.157508

>>156594
3D printers are still too expensive, and the plastic needed to make the materials are still too expensive to make this feasible, unless it turns out that people will to pay absurd amounts of money for what basically amount to plastic paper weights.

High costs mean margins are going to be small.
Honestly if you think that demand is high enough, sell about getting a third party plastics company to just make the shit for you and ship it to you.
It'll be cheaper in the long run, higher margins.

>> No.157530

awful

>> No.157541

I've had that idea before but not with 3D printing cause it'll be guaranteed to look like shit.

I've actually worked with clay before and made several things through my years in highschool. I've never worked something as tiny as a figurine before and its probably over my skill level anyways. But what I was thinking would be injection moulding using clay as the positive to make my mould. The problem is I cannot into moulds or working plastic in general. Also I'm not that good with airbrushing (could learn I guess).

Has anybody here worked with plastics or making precise moulds and shit? What guides should I look at?

Personally I wouldn't view it so much as business, but more of a time killer

>> No.157549

>>157541
check out /diy/ or their sticky you'd have better luck

>> No.157556

>>156816
But what if someone could strike a deal with moot to have an unblockable background ad like they do on the major sides when new games, movies, etc are released. You'll pay some upfront, then more for a click through, and even more for a purchase. Low risk with only paying a small amount upfront, but it would need to be a very unique or good product to get moot to go along.

>> No.157570

There is enough demand that it would work.

The problem is that you should learn modeling BEFORE making that kind of investment, discover how you're going to market all this stuff, and figure out shipping.

>> No.157571

>>157556
I think that would be detrimental to the site, it would leave a bad taste in peoples mouths.

It'd be better to put a banner ad between every 50 posts or something. Less intrusive and off putting. Plus you could charge more for the in page ads

>> No.157775

Or learn to sculpt with your hands and make copies of your sculptures through moulds. Material is way cheaper and you won't have a machine that will go obsolete within 2 years.

>> No.157783

>>157541
>making precise moulds and shit
http://youtu.be/naKizSAvTZI?t=12s

>> No.158071

If you 3D printed OP pic I'd buy it. Also crab Nicholson.

>> No.160759

>>156594
Do you live in Usa/UK/Germany/France/Japan? >Go for it, friend!
Do you live at places where people have to work hard to survive?
>Nope.jpg
I'd advise you to make customized luxury stuff like shoes/guitars/models/figma.
Good luck anyways!

>> No.160777

I thought about this too, OP.

Le happy merchant money box would be pretty cool.

>> No.160794

>>156902
Set a schedule for yourself and dont try to be too ambitions.

From 12 - 1 study X
From 4 - 5 study Y
from 8-9 study X

Since you're a NEET you'll still have plenty of relax time and can still get a few hours of studying in

>> No.160843

>>156594
3d printing is expensive, you would need to print something that covers the costs and fixating on 4chan themed 3d figures is unlikely to be the means of doing so

>> No.160849

>>156594
It's probably cheaper and easier to make shit the traditional way

>> No.161833

>>157783
Can I stick my dick in that?

>> No.161838

>>160777
>Le happy merchant money box would be pretty cool.
I want this.
Nice trips.

>> No.164983

>>156902

You may have ADHD.

>> No.165024

you would have to charge astronomical prices to make money. Wouldn't work.

>> No.165031

4chan can't even afford an indie music album. What makes you think they will pay for anything. Make Reddit figures and sell on Reddit.

>> No.165032

You're about two years late on this idea.

>> No.166021

>>156902
you have to actually separate yourself from the computer. i do this to read without distraction.

>> No.166469
File: 58 KB, 630x582, Air flow control block.jpg [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google]

Since this is somewhat related I'll hijack this thread for a bit.
I've been designing and prototyping a full sized android that can be 3dprinted, and I'm curious if I could monetize it.

The design is unlike anything currently available relying on cheap easily acquired parts, and quite stout pneumatic actuators with a inexpensive and novel control valve design allowing for accurate positioning. Pic related is an old protype.
If I have it figured correctly I should be able to manufacture it for ~$500 assuming bulk rates.

The way I see it my current market is limited to selling it to universities for research purposes or possibly savvy hobbyist.
Are there any other potential markets?

I'm still a few months away from a finished product but I've been trying to figure out way to break into the market/generate press once it's finished. I've been considering making it open source to do so but I dunno if that's a sound business plan in the long run.

Keep in mind this is just for an android platform and I'm not currently designing code for it beyond basic reverse kinematics stuff, mostly due to having no experience with comp sci type stuff.