[ 3 / biz / cgl / ck / diy / fa / ic / jp / lit / sci / vr / vt ] [ index / top / reports ] [ become a patron ] [ status ]
2023-11: Warosu is now out of extended maintenance.

/biz/ - Business & Finance

View post   

File: 108 KB, 759x508, 1474430494704.jpg [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google]
15441185 No.15441185 [Reply] [Original]

Idk if this'll help any of you turboautists out there - probably not actually - but I figured I'd put it here anyway because I'm ecstatic. Here's my stupid simple 2satoshis of advice:

>THE BIGGEST/MOST IMPORTANT FACTOR IN YOUR CHANCES OF GETTING A JOB IS:
your personality.

I won't make this a long post, so I can provide details if you want.

But the long and short of it is, I've been unemployed for over a year despite having 2 engineering degrees & trying my damnedest to get a job. Well, just a few hours ago, I signed an offer for a software engineering job (not my degree, barely any actual job exp.) at an amazing company that I honestly wanted as soon as I did the first interview.

What made the difference?

Unironically, just being "myself". Yes, like the meme you've been hearing from your teachers & parents since elementary school.

I've had 20+ interviews so far and stressed hard about each one. Wore my only nice suit, got haircuts for many of them, studied code and languages etc for some... this one, I thought it looked like a podunk shitty small company and didn't expect much. My suit was even in dry cleaning, so I just wore some nice khakis & a decent pressed shirt. I had just come off a several-day-long adderall binge too and slept like 4 hours.

But as soon as I walked in the unassuming offices, I noticed I did really like the atmosphere. Everyone was friendly, shooting the shit, it was colorful, walls were decorated, clearly the employees breathed life into the place. I met with the CTO, who was very laid-back, wanted to know about me personally and the projects I had been working on (mostly crypto shit), and it put me at ease and just made me extremely honest. It helped that this was probably the perfect job for me, as he was looking for someone who could quickly learn any technology we needed for whatever job was being done. But I was just straight up with him, smiled as much as I could through the sleep deprivation, and got the offer email yesterday.

>> No.15441305
File: 75 KB, 643x636, bitmex desk.jpg [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google]

My point is this, I think:

I had a suspicion throughout my long year+ of job hunting that my biggest problem might be, without a hint of irony, that the companies can smell my desperation. This interview felt distinctly different from all the other ones I'd done (at other, bigger, more haughty-taughty companies like Northrop Grumman etc) in that I literally didn't give a fuck what they thought about my professional weaknesses, just the fact that:
>I *did* show up
>I let myself loosen up a bit
>I made sure to emphasize what I really cared about, and what I KNEW I was good at:
>my focus on crypto
>my ability to learn any new skill/coding language relatively quickly, even though I'm not deeply experienced in any single one)
>a genuine connection to the interviewer where I'm not just sitting & listening him drone about the job. He showed me some of their old systems that he wants to upgrade, and I put some real thought into figuring out what it was he wanted to do with them, what was wrong, and what technologies we both did or didn't like [and why]

>tl;dr
The key is to move yourself and your progress in the job search forward quickly, without getting tripped up along the way worrying about all the minute unnecessary details that you THINK matter.

It really is all about the human connection I think. And I say this as a bit of a former autist myself. I still think the job-getting process should be SIGNIFICANTLY more automated. Less human involvement so we don't have to waste time making sure we like each other first (despite what I said previously making it seem like a good thing)

Employers don't fucking care about your GPA/skills/if your tie matches your shirt color.
This is THE thing you cucks.
It's literally this simple...if you can look the guy in charge in the eye, and communicate to him confidently that you can do this or that, and that you understand what causes them headaches in the business and can help fix them, that's all that matters to get you the job.

>> No.15441354
File: 1.71 MB, 1710x1080, eternalboomer.png [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google]

>>15441305
Oh and that means a significant part of that is just, that it's a numbers game. (forgot to mention this detail)

Respond to every email, every recruiter, but don't put your heart & soul into it (at first). Expand your possibilities, as much and as fast as you can; put as little effort as possible into each one, the minimum necessary to set up a next phone call or interview. Then just do those when they come up, again not stressing too hard about a single one, and repeat.

Here's a nice gib for you - the easiest way I've found to do this is with Ziprecruiter. Not a shill for the service or anything, but they're the quickest "1-click application" meme site I've found that doesn't just sell your information to telemarketers & shit. And I actually get tons of views & leads back from it. Set up your profile to be as juicy and as glorious as you can possibly make yourself look on there, then indiscriminately smash that 1-click apply button on as many jobs on the front page as you can before you get too bored. Don't even bother with the ones that make you manually apply. Just keep clicking the 1-click'ers.

Good luck faggots, hope this helps somebody before it gets bumped to the last page

>> No.15441395

>>15441185
good job.. but it was just a matter of time till you found a job as an engineer. There is a shortage of engineers so yeah you would lend one eventually

>> No.15441405

>>15441305
had an interviewer tell me this exact advice

"i dont really care how you answer these questions, i'm just trying to figure if i want to be around you 5 days out of the week"

>> No.15441519

respect for making it man!
OP image best company ever.

I wish I'll make in crypto. Here in my country is better to be an indipendent contractor if you have a CS degree or related. Personality is not a working factor, they prefer NPCs. As job market is shit, there are 2 types of job application:
> you work for 50€/mo? You're hired!
(there is no minimal wage by law)
(rent is still 600€/mo)
> the guy who was here knew CS and spoke French, Arab, German and this country's native language. He was useful also because half our clients are from Morocco, his native country. Sure you could do it, but they won't trust you because you don't look Moroccan
(wage: 1400€/mo after taxes)
(strangely they just cannot fill his position)
(he moved to France, I believe 5000€/mo in a similar job)

People still send hundreds of applications. Recession is coming anyway.

>> No.15441707
File: 93 KB, 1000x972, 1526839856420.jpg [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google]

>>15441305
> Hey guyse !!!
> blogpost about getting a job
> tl;dr another blogpost
actual tl;dr : zoomer finds out job markte is only about personality (he will soon find aout personality = either Chad or turbo polite smiley beta)

kys faggot, you're annoying as fuck judging only by these blogposts
prepare to be a boomer dickwasher or getting fired in 3 months

>> No.15441762

>>15441707
please suck my dick

>> No.15441927

>>15441707
OP here, thank you, great summary.

Sorry I'm horrible at summarizing my thoughts succinctly. Actual tl;dr is yeah, it's all about personality. But just like picking up girls, you can't just PRETEND to be Chad if you're really not, and somehow still fuck women.

No. You really have to be yourself - not necessarily the lonely, basement dwelling, ballsack scratching-and-sniffing version of yourself, mind you but the best authentic and happy version of yourself that's STILL "yourself".

What's your employment situation? maybe I can help. You sound really assmad so it must be for a reason

>>15441519
Thanks m8.
What country? Sounds like it sucks

>>15441762
based

>> No.15442881

Bermp

>> No.15443101

>>15441185
>that the companies can smell my desperation

I've been on both sides of the interview process and I can say this is true. The desperate-looking people never got job (even though they were rejected for other reasons). Even a brief moment of desperation would reflect negatively on you. It would make it very obvious to the interviewer that you've been rejected at other places before and have low confidence.

>> No.15443506

>>15443101
Sucks anon. I honestly don't know what the answer is to why it is this way or if that's morally and normative-ly "right" or "wrong" that it is that way

>> No.15444535

>>15441927
Italy