[ 3 / biz / cgl / ck / diy / fa / ic / jp / lit / sci / vr / vt ] [ index / top / reports ] [ become a patron ] [ status ]
2023-11: Warosu is now out of extended maintenance.

/biz/ - Business & Finance

View post   

File: 359 KB, 640x636, ascii.gif [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google]
1527117 No.1527117 [Reply] [Original]

Is it wrong to lie your way into a job? Not necessarily blatant falsehoods, but I would say a few white lies and embellishments to make dat resume shine.

I have a fantastic learning ability, and I am certain that I would be able to quickly adapt to any position I am hired for. I have attended a top school and received exceptional grades. However, I am worried that my resume just won't stand out among the countless other young, motivated individuals.

What penalties am I looking at if I get caught lying on a job application? Basically, I want to lie to get myself into a position that I can work hard and gain a strong footing in the company I'm working for. Then, by the time I work my way up towards the top, it will be too late for any lies I've told in the past to catch up to me, right?

>> No.1527124

>>1527117
Everyone lies and email embellishes to get hired. And to maintain employment.

Just don't say anything that's easily debunked (degree, certifications, etc.)

It's 100% legal to lie on anything except legal troubles you've had. You can lie about uni or certifications, it's legal but the employer can find out

>> No.1527131
File: 158 KB, 677x816, 1398930111135.jpg [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google]

>>1527117
>Is it wrong to lie your way into a job?

Stop letting this trivial shit get in your way if you actually want to make money. Everyone lies anyway.

>What penalties am I looking at if I get caught lying on a job application?

Fuck all, you either don't get the position which you wouldn't have got without lying or they find out later down the road and possibly fire you then. Yeah, if it's a small industry word might get around, but really this isn't going to affect most people.

Obviously just don't be dumb about it and say you're qualified to be a doctor when you aren't.

>> No.1527166

>>1527131
How extensively do employers check the validity of information on job applications?

>> No.1527176

>>1527131

Don't follow what this guy says. Pretty messed up he's trying to lead you down the wrong path.

You can get in serious trouble for lying on a job application. Depending on the lie (and the judge/jury), it's usually a 2-5 year term in the penitentiary.

>> No.1527185

>>1527176
>it's usually a 2-5 year term in the penitentiary.
What a crock of shit.
"We found out you weren't really a waiter in another state. You're going to prison, anon".

>> No.1527189

Usually, freelance work (in the related field) and experience in defunct companies are good "sausage stuffers" like they say in my country.

I have a fresh grad friend who landed a manager position with only experience in 3-4 bankrupt companies in the related area. They couldn't even get hold of anyone who could prove he worked there, but on his side he did extensive research into these companies so he could pretend to know people/places/strategies properly.

Just please google Bel Pesce and don't do it like she did.

>> No.1527192

>>1527166
Depends on the job. Usually you can lie your way through as long as it's not a college degree or legally binding certification

>> No.1527195

Fake it till u make it bro. Only way to go.

>> No.1527309

>>1527176
Prison only applies if it's to the government or there are safety considerations.
Otherwise lying won't have any affect.

>> No.1527540

>>1527117
Is it lying?

>Anon, can you do this/Do you have this skill etc?
>Yes

Figure out how to develop the skill, or do the work.
You sell the product before you make it.

>> No.1527544

Just make sure whatever you lie about won't show up in the background check. Dates you were employed, schools you went to, etc. Keep it clean. You can lie about your title, experience, and duties to a pretty big extent. Tailor them to the position and don't bullshit about stuff you aren't capable of bullshitting about.

>> No.1527546

>>1527185

I know a guy that lied on his application, he was fired after they found out, sued in civil court, and then the district attorney charged him with fraud.

Luckily he had a good attorney and only got five years probation.

>> No.1527555

>>1527117
And what, trade your honour for something like this? Character shines through all else. Have confidence and faith in your own talents and they'll carry you further than your lies.

>> No.1527559

>>1527546
Sure.
I know a guy with a pet dragon.

>> No.1527570

yeah no when you throw HR shits in there that were raised on regurgitation

>We noticed that you have X, X+, X++, X#, X1, X2, X10, X100, X2010, X2017 listed on your resume. However we wanted someone someone with X9001

this is why you see people making targeted resumes so that the hr shit is like "wow! perfect match!" because yes they actually are that stupid. and then they give the real resume to the actual department they will be with

>> No.1527575

>>1527570

Yep. I've basically reverse written out the "requirements" sections of jobs before as my resume and it gets past HR every time. They are absolutely useless. Tech companies by the way