[ 3 / biz / cgl / ck / diy / fa / ic / jp / lit / sci / vr / vt ] [ index / top / reports ] [ become a patron ] [ status ]
2023-11: Warosu is now out of extended maintenance.

/biz/ - Business & Finance

View post   

File: 49 KB, 598x334, 1000_blackboard_final_rec.jpg [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google]
1523073 No.1523073 [Reply] [Original]

What are the job prospects for a BS in chemistry these days?

I can finish my chem degree in 2 years, or switch to chemical engineering (which I assume has better prospects regardless of what chemistry's are) and finish in 3.

>> No.1523079

I wouldn't recommend a Chem degree, but with the current job prospects and cost of tuition, it'd come down to your plans for the future OP.

>> No.1523081

>>1523079
I'm not interested in grad school or teaching. But that seems to be what most people end up doing with just a BS Chem.

>> No.1523226

>>1523073
>What are the job prospects for a BS in chemistry these days?

Terrible if you live in the US. Expect 1 year contracts through staffing agencies, $15/hr + shit benefits.

>> No.1523260

>>1523073
You could work for any number of farms, paint companies, or colleges.

Chem engineering is much more likely to get you into a highly paid petrochemical job.

>> No.1523262

Chem fag here. Graduated in 2015.

It took me 10 months to find a job and it's not even in chemistry. If you like STEM and want to continue, switch to engineering. Or, continue with Chem and go into medicine (doctor, dentist, nurse, et. al.).

I somehow found my way into a more business type gig doing logistics for a scientific company - make $22 per hour and it's chill as fuck.

>> No.1523293

Chem Eng here. (Purdue) I work as an engineer for a corn milling facility working on the process of manufacturing modified corn starch. $70k a year, 9-5. Working here for 2 years, most of the people I graduated with haven't found jobs yet despite having many prospects their final year. I was offered a job (which I honestly didn't want) after my second internship.

If I could do it again, I would have got a degree in some shit like "Operations Management" and started working some chill job for close to the same pay.

>> No.1523345

Chem is shit unless you have a phd and even then it's hyper-competative

Chem engineering is shit too with the oil industry in the gutter

>> No.1523380

Looks bleak mate. Gravitate to healthcare, maybe engineering not sure. Petro is probably in for a bumpy ride
t. Chemist who's been underemployed and underpaid. I fix analyzers at chemical plants

>> No.1523385

urre?

>> No.1523392

Chemical Quality Control Monkey only hired through shitty temp agencies is what a BS in chem gets you.

>> No.1523875

>>1523081
If you're not interested in graduate school i would highly recommend switching to chemical engineering. You're competing with the students who failed to get into medical school (needless to say, there is A LOT of them) with the bachelor's, students who have higher gpa, stronger letters of recommendation, and probably much more research experience than you.

That is, unless you're willing to get into the marijuana industry. There is a huge lack of anyone with any knowledge whatsoever in that industry. Extractions and QC are done by people without a high-school diploma. A PhD is absolutely what they prefer, but you still have prospects in marijuana. It deters a lot of people because no one wants to attach that to their resume if they ever plan on transitioning into another industry but if you want to stay for life you should look into it

>> No.1523962

>>1523073
Go into pharmacy if you can

>> No.1523970
File: 88 KB, 718x820, 1472737971905.jpg [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google]

>>1523962

>> No.1524367

I have a bs in biology. There are jobs but prospects are weak and pay is often low. Not everyone can do engineering (I am an engineering dropout).

You could try adding a CS minor in there to see if you are into computational science / informatics. Those jobs will pay more and you can transition into the tech industry but they are kind of rare.

Going into biochem will about double your job opportunities because you can steal pure bio jobs. But as I mentioned before, the job prospects are weak and don't pay well.

Science is awesome and I love it, but it can be hard to make a decent living from.

Of course there are other options like opening up a craft brew joint. It's basically applied chemistry.

>> No.1524468

>>1523260
I have worked for multiple oil production companies. Since we're located in Texas, we exclusively hire petroleum engineers. No reason to hire a chemical engineer or a chemist when we can hire people who have learned everything there is to know about oil for 4 years straight. Jobs are right in the industry as is and it is very shaky how things will go in the future. I wouldn't recommend banking on going in to the oil industry if I were OP unless you have some mad connections.

>> No.1524686

>>1523073
>es, or colleges.
>Chem engineering is much more likely to get you into a high

>tfw fell for chem meme
>tfw going to switch to chemical engineering meme

LOL. You are about to get 2x memed my friend. your only chance is getting a chemical engineering degree IF AND ONLY IF you can predict oil prices going way back up by the time you graduate. BTW, this depends on which country you are living in.

>> No.1524696

What kind of engineering is approved, if chem is meme?

>> No.1524707

>>1524696
Who fucking knows. A bunch of laborfags and retailfags will come on here and vote that being an electrical engineer is dumb, but they are the ones that have to figure out how to live the rest of their lives on $12/hr with a wage increase every 4 years that will never keep up with inflation - and thats if they could hold onto their pleb jobs for those 4 years which they probably won't. Meanwhile, this engineer with the useless degree is making 4 times the amount of money and doesn't have to do shit 80% of the time.