[ 3 / biz / cgl / ck / diy / fa / ic / jp / lit / sci / vr / vt ] [ index / top / reports ] [ become a patron ] [ status ]
2023-11: Warosu is now out of extended maintenance.

/biz/ - Business & Finance

View post   

File: 163 KB, 1140x1280, F1.large.jpg [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google]
14987074 No.14987074 [Reply] [Original]

Alright I posted about this earlier and got told it's possible to do with just a years prep, now can I have some advice. I've had to delay exams until end of August cause I had a nervous breakdown, a levels don't have chem so there's like 5 I can apply to (Newcastle, Nottingham, at George, Swansea and Warwick)

Frankly I cannot be bothered doing a levels again unless I really fucking have to. Current academics are flawless with the exception of not going to Oxbridge and even this is cause didn't apply. Experience is non existent and I hope to get that this year.

Can someone give me the rundown

1) am I very likely to get a place if I get some decent experience?

2) does it matter which one you go to? As mentioned earlier options are very limited by no chem a level and although pretty sure I could get 3A* again I can't be fucking bothered and it's 3k. The thing which holds most appeal to me ATM is emergency medicine both in the military or hospital.

3) is it worth resitting a levels so I can apply to others if unsuccessful or doing a masters?

Currently have 15k GBP, 4.3 btc, 10 bch and will receive the maximum student loan. I plan to buy another 0.7 BTC then generally neet it up this year outside of getting experience.

>> No.14987098

no banana

>> No.14987432

>>14987074

yeah if you can get in without the chemistry A level elsewhere, then go for it- providing you're not a chemistry brainlet, and you actually understand A level chemistry It won't matter in a few years once you're graduated.

If you're youthful self-belief proves to be false and they refuse you admittance, then you can resit your chemistry A level at college ASAP and re-apply next year.

>> No.14987445

>>14987074
>I've had to delay exams until end of August cause I had a nervous breakdown
If you're this much of a pussy you aren't going to make it lol

>> No.14987516

>>14987432
Thanks. Am I actually likely to get accepted first time round with only a years work experience but considering the fact got 3A*/top of secondary?

>> No.14987563

>>14987516
How do you know you have 3A* if you haven't done your exams yet

>> No.14987613

>>14987563
Soz if sounding like an illiterate spaz, that's what I got at 18 in maths, f maths physics. Trying to give an idea of academic ability I know these won't be seen by universities not asking for a levels

>> No.14987673
File: 18 KB, 112x112, 4.png [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google]

>>14987613
So what were the exams that were delayed?
And how old are you now?

>> No.14987713

>>14987673
3rd year uni exams you can't even delay a levels

>> No.14987783

>>14987713
You're at 3rd year uni?
Doing what? Do you have a link to the old thread

Also maybe try asking a teacher at your old school for advice, like the teacher in charge of applications to Medicine.
I'm sure they would be happy to help you

>> No.14987808

>>14987783
Physics and no link to old thread. Only realised I wanted to do this recently, no one at old school knows anything about medicine applications but thanks anyway

>> No.14987952

>>14987074
UK doctor here. The answers you require can be found on the respective universities’ websites FYI.

For most universities, chemistry and another science are a prerequisite. They’ve changed it over the last few years in that more universities now specifically require biology too. I went to uni in 2006 so I’m sure there have been changes but I teach first year med students who’ve had to go through the hoops I went through. You won’t find any universities that allow undergraduate entry without a-levels so that is your rate limiting step.

1) Not just with decent experience. You need to demonstrate a baseline academic aptitude. You should get some work experience too. I can signpost you appropriately if you want to know more.

2) What do you call a doctor who ranked at the bottom of his class? Doctor. It doesn’t matter really which uni you go to but there are slight advantages over others. Oxbridge are didactic and heavily research-based, Imperial is very academic and not as PBL based as other unis and the others have a good mix. Ultimately, all universities have to comply with a basic GMC standard so it doesn’t really matter where you qualify from if you want to do clinical medicine. Academics tend to usually go to Oxbridge.

Re emergency medicine, Birmingham is good as they have the biggest ITU/trauma-centre attached to the military. Wounded soldiers tend to get flown there. If you want to join the military and you are certain, contact the army or google “army medical degree uk”. They will pay for your university and you will get a grant too. I have a couple of friends who are in service who got their whole university life paid for.

3) Resit your a-levels if you want to go into medicine. If not, I’d still recommend doing them to allow you to later choose the university route. Better to have a choice than have it made for you. 3k is peanuts in the greater scheme of things.

Finally, WHY THEY FUCK DO YOU NOT OWN LINK? Seriously?

>> No.14988021
File: 445 KB, 1125x2436, DF383175-ED2C-4EBB-A6B4-31E1D5B812CE.png [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google]

>>14987613
>>14987713
>>14987808

Sorry dude I just saw these. Didn’t realise you’re already at uni. Apologies if I came across too patronising. For post grad you, usually need a 2.i in a biomed science. I’ve attached King’s College’s requirements. Have a look at post-grad medicine at all the universities. Lincoln is a newer university and may be a bit more lenient.

>> No.14988044

>>14987808
>>14987952
>>14988021

Here’s a website I’ve just found that summarises the grad-entry universities.

https://www.themedicportal.com/application-guide/graduate-entry-medicine/