[ 3 / biz / cgl / ck / diy / fa / ic / jp / lit / sci / vr / vt ] [ index / top / reports ] [ become a patron ] [ status ]
2023-11: Warosu is now out of extended maintenance.

/biz/ - Business & Finance

View post   

File: 46 KB, 960x960, 1520084466569.jpg [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google]
14730764 No.14730764 [Reply] [Original]

I'm running a pretty successful business, and I made the mistake of disclosing to some friends how much money I make. I never thought people could turn so fast on me. Don't get me wrong, people are not openly hating on me, but so many of them completely changed in how they interacted with me.
Some of them feel like they shouldn't treat me with the same amount of respect anymore. When you're on the same level financially, there's a certain camaraderie. We know we're all in this together, so let's just make the best of it. Now they see me as a figure that has risen above them for some reason, and I don't really deserve it because I once used to be on their level. They feel as if I don't have a right to complain about anything anymore. In their eyes, I basically achieved what they will yearn their whole lives for.
More and more people are also asking me to lend them some money. Even the most hard working people I know. Some of them also want to start a business, and they need some money to get started. It's almost always some retarded ass idea. I just tell them to go to the nearest bank with a decent business plan.
But the sob stories are the worst. They always have a whole story to tell about how they ended up where they are now, and how they will be back on their feet in no time, if only I gave them some money.
I have never had many friends, and now even those friends cannot be trusted anymore. It just feels so alienating. Is this really how it feels to make it? I kinda start to understand why rich people mostly hang out with other rich people.

Never disclose your power level, anons. Don't be me.

>> No.14730796

How much profit you personally make a year

>> No.14730797

It is so true, people who are not able to somehow manage to earn money directly hate you for doing so.
Pretty fucked up humanity imo.

>> No.14730824

preach

>> No.14730826

>>14730764
How brave of you to post this publicly. /biz/ stands in awe of the raw courage displayed here.

>> No.14730876

>>14730826
Extremely powerful and empowering post desu

>> No.14730895

I've been thinking about this alot lately, I don't have many friends and have a hard time making new ones. If I ever were to make it what would happen? In that case "making it" would maybe be to not "make it", but to live a pretty average life with people that respect you for who you are. When you've tasted excess everything else tastes bland, and I'm already a dopamine addict.

>> No.14730924

>>14730797
So many of them would be able to do the same thing I'm doing though, if only they had some balls and were actually willing to put in the work. Yet they would rather stay at the same dead end wagecuck job for the rest of their lives, all while hating anyone that manages to escape.

>> No.14730929

This is a natural and unavoidable feature of social stratification and how groups organise, I think, OP.

Most of the people I know around where I live are basically failures in most senses of the word (low-ambition types without careers, still renting in their 30's, etc) and even when I bought a house they considered me "rich" and expected me to pay for more things etc and I wasn't so much a part of their group.

I'm a millionaire now and would never tell them. I don't even like those people that much, I'm just a loser so can't make friends with better people, unfortunately. But I see them out and crave their company.

>> No.14730979
File: 39 KB, 332x360, monkax-gif.gif [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google]

>>14730764
OP i have many friends and I bought chainlink at .20C so im trying to find info on how to avoid this. I have made money from it, not "im rich" money but im already feeling what you are talking about. The only thing i got going for me right now is i only told three people, which im already thinking is too much. As soon as i say the "crypto" my money in their eyes turns into a joke for them. they start acting like i did absolutely nothing for the money ive earned, when in reality ive never worked so hard in my life to get to where im at. if links moons any harder now, i will have amazing money and i can only see things getting worse, as in their thinking, i dont deserve the car i will be driving or the house im living in...how do i stop this before i become lonley i love my friends as dumb as they are

>> No.14731063

>>14730895
What I'm personally planning is to travel the world, hopefully meeting new interesting people, and find a nice new place to settle down. I would never ever again disclose my power level to anyone, so I could just live a quiet unassuming life. Finding people more on my 'level' would only be more of the same thing I'm experiencing now.

>> No.14731115

>>14730979
In your situation you can still tell those three friends you sold your LINK while it was crashing. Buying a nice house and car will cause lots of envy anyway, I don't know how this could be avoided. I wish some rich older anon would drop in to give us some advice.

>> No.14731163

>>14730924
Yes, often they even try to bring you back down.

>> No.14731677

>>14730764
That really sucks op, happy for your success. I just started listening to a guy on YouTube who was baffled by the same thing. Once you become successful people do not care because they believe money solves all their problems but if they had the amount you do, they probably would still be broke as hell.
Find people doing better than you and aspire to climb higher, befriend people who aren't so materialistic or have no worry of keeping up with the joneses (ie aspies who are succesful)
Even if you weren't super successful but managed your money well, people will still see having that excess as success, at least in my experience and still hit you up for cash.
Find like minded people if you can OP.

>> No.14731722

>>14731677
Thanks for the advice. That's exactly what I'm planning to do!

>> No.14731754

LARP my friends know I have more money then most of their parents and they don’t treat me any differently, the only ones that did were women and they got cut out of my life.

>> No.14731783
File: 832 KB, 925x842, 1557197098005.png [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google]

>>14731722
>checked
Stay humble and I hope you find greater joy and success.

>> No.14731871

>>14730764
My dad started acting really mad at me at one point. I overheard him telling my mom something about "he thinks he's better than me because he has more money." I don't want to tell people about how much I have anymore.