[ 3 / biz / cgl / ck / diy / fa / ic / jp / lit / sci / vr / vt ] [ index / top / reports ] [ become a patron ] [ status ]
2023-11: Warosu is now out of extended maintenance.

/biz/ - Business & Finance

View post   

File: 617 KB, 722x772, 1534683908607.png [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google]
14016714 No.14016714 [Reply] [Original]

Did any of those self-help/get-rich books had any real impact on you? Or they are all just memes?

>> No.14016738

They seem an act of mental masturbation on the origin of the awesomeness of author. Insufferable.

>> No.14016754

>>14016714
N. goddard, Richest man in babylon, E. Nightingale

rest is trash

>> No.14016771

>>14016754
and everything from robert anton wilson

>> No.14016854

>>14016714
They aren't memes, in the sense that many of them directly address basic mental strategies that people don't just know "by default" and usually aren't taught except by parents to their children if the parents are successful. If you dismiss them off-hand, you're likely missing out on things that would make you realize that almost everything you're doing is objectively wrong, a waste of time, or both.
Unfortunately there are trillions of these books and all of them are full of whatever wacky shit the author believes, some part of which is legitimately valuable insight but usually buried in 10x as much pointless bullshit and self-aggrandizing anecdotes.
I don't have any books in particular to recommend because everyone's situation and personality is different, and if you don't have the basic skill of being able to dyor and find what you need when you have google, amazon (and libgen, sci-hub, etc) then that's the first thing to get figured out before you read any self-help books.

>> No.14016873

>>14016771
How did Prometheus Rising had impact on you? I tought this was occult/esoteric gibberish. I want real practical knowledge.

>> No.14016998

>>14016873
read everything 3 times.

>> No.14017068

>>14016854
What book would you recommend to someone in his early twenties, who have big ambitions to make it?

>situation
I live by myself in a third world country, I'm smarter and more cultured than most people who surround me (speak 3 languages fluently) but still a poorfag because I woke up to improvement a bit late, ans always gave a fuck about studies. Actually I just go out to work and spend my free time at home researching and studying. I have no social life at the moment, not because I can't but I choose to cut normies and uninteresting people out of my life.

>personality
INTJ

>> No.14017170

>>14017068
You can try Think and Grow Rich if you haven't read it already. It's a product of the early 1900s and is unfortunately very materialistically oriented and contains various pseudoscience, but the author does an excellent job of telling you a story about its core point that gets you excited about it.
Then for the more practical stuff, I would recommend looking through the usual popular books about things like organization and time management (all those books along the lines of Getting Things Done). You don't really need to learn all that stuff in detail but you need to have a consciously worked out system for everything you do that's important to you.
Think and Grow Rich is good for motivation and generating the particular kind of psychosis that makes people extremely successful, and the Getting Things Done type books make sure that you actually have a process and aren't just flailing around.

>> No.14017184

>>14016854
>basic mental strategies that people don't just know "by default" and usually aren't taught except by parents to their children if the parents are successful. If you dismiss them off-hand, you're likely missing out

This. You have to piece together the tried and tested bits from different self help books, biographies, blogs as a substitute if you had shitty parents that taught you nothing beyond basic academia.

Even then that might not help you very much but it's a good start.

>> No.14017393

>>14017170
Thank you, gonna give these a try.

>> No.14017412

>>14016714
No, I'm a 6'2" anglo Chad and everyone just hires me

>> No.14017457

>>14016714
I like The science of getting rich and think and grow rich. Both are excellent. To be more specific in 2019, millionaire's fast lane and zero to one are best.

>> No.14017488

>>14017068
>>14017170
Get "Grit" By Angella Duckworth. Female but the content is good.

>> No.14017690

>>14017457
Think and Grow rich is retarded, Napoleon Hill never had any of those conversations with any of the people in his book. He made it all up and died poor and penniless.

Millionaire Fastlane is even more retarded because MJ DeMarco has the writing capability of a 14 year old and his advice is the same regurgitated shit literally every other self help dipshit writes about. It basically just boils down to "Work really really hard on something that millions of people can use and you'll become rich!!" What he fails to address though is that he was extraordinarily lucky and his garbage website sold for way more than it was worth because the internet was new and exciting. I also find it hilarious because in it he gives people like Robert Kiyosaki shit (which he deserves, don't get me wrong) even though the entire book is basically a copy of his books. All the shit in the millionaire fastlane is a rip off of Kiyosaki's Rat Race concept which in turn is a rip off of the Pyramid building machine from "The Richest Man in Babylon". It's literally the same fucking metaphor.

Whenever you seek to read any economic advice book the first thing you should do is look at the cover. Is there a smiling retard in a suit on it? Than throw it in the garbage. Next open it and skim the first fifty or so pages. Does the author at any point talk about how amazing his lifestyle is and how much money he has? Garbage. After that read the first three real chapters. If you can understand all the concepts without having to take notes and reread things that it probably still isn't worth your time unless you're an absolute beginner.

>> No.14017758

>>14016873
its not gibberish, its pretty much a quick rundown of jungian thought

>> No.14017778

>>14017690
>Think and Grow rich is retarded, Napoleon Hill never had any of those conversations with any of the people in his book. He made it all up and died poor and penniless.
There are all kinds of problems with Think and Grow Rich, not least of which is that focusing on desiring things and getting material wealth isn't really a good foundation for living your life. But the underlying insight, if you're able to see it behind all the dumb shit about "vibration" or whatever, is extremely valuable. And with all the rambling and salesmanship, the book itself serves as a great way to generate the kinds of mental states that let you make use of its methods and find creative ways of achieving what you want that you otherwise wouldn't see.

>> No.14017782

>>14016714
I read a bunch, they might have pushed me off of college but idk. I read Rich Dad, Poor Dad freshman year of college. Dropped out to run a business and started buying real estate to get a huge set back by the 08 crash.

>> No.14017826

>>14017690
While Millionaire Fastlane is super verbose, it explains the reasoning behind the ideas rather well. The writing is made for normies who need their hand hold. Just "work hard on something that millions can use" usually doesn't cut it without giving examples, showing dead ends, getting people in the right mood.

I guess the secret with self-help books is to just read a small number of them, not like those no-starters that consume one after the other.

>> No.14017903

>>14016754
This.

>> No.14017943

>>14016714
real, improves confidence some, money and whatever else you may be wanting. i dont usually trust any of this stuff but i had access to free products i would never pay for and figured why not, just finding the golden nuggets in many products since most say the same shit

>> No.14017982

>>14016714
The one that had the biggest impact on me, aide from 'the Richest Man in Babylon', is 'Your Money or Your Life' by Vicki Robin. It's less about how to get more money and more about figuring out exactly how much money you need to live the way you want and then getting the fuck out of paid employment.

>> No.14017991

>>14017690
Weirdly the only types of books that have had a lasting impact on my life are the very mystical "mind over matter" and "subconcious mind" type books. In the past I tried all the "practical advice" and "discipline building" and "organizing and planning" and "waking up early" and "time management" shit. No matter what my life would just revert back to how it always was every. single. time. I read this book at 100 times until i was thoroughly brainwashed of it. In 2 years my life morphed unrecognizably. It just morphed. I actually dont even want to tell you guys what the book is or share any further details. I really don't trust other people to use this power responsibily.

>> No.14018019

>>14017991
>I really don't trust other people to use this power responsibily.
Don't be a faggot. If something has been useful for you, then you are intentionally preventing other people from improving themselves by withholding what you know. Worry more about whether you yourself are the kind of person who uses your knowledge responsibly.

>> No.14018056

>>14017991
It's Dianetics, right?

>> No.14018138

>>14018056
kek
I actually think L Ron Hubbard is a great example of the valuable insights buried in 10x as much bullshit, though with him it's closer to 20x and the bullshit is a particularly high octane grade of insanity

>> No.14018173
File: 1.32 MB, 1345x2100, Bizlit2016.jpg [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google]

>> No.14018188

>>14018138
My favorite thing I learned from the entire LRHverse is their particular usage of the terms "at cause", "on purpose", and "unreasonable"

>> No.14018243

>>14018173
Have fun reading through all that stuff.

>>14018188
I have had my fair share of LRH. His business literature is rather useful, though sprinkled with funny alien references.

>> No.14018290

>>14017690
Any specific recommendations, anon?

>>14017991
Just say it, faggot.

>> No.14018291

>>14018243
I don't spend too much time on his stuff because he had exactly the kind of personality that causes people to generate huge amounts of bullshit because he never bothers to check anything against reality before creating elaborate theories. But he's high on my list of people in recent history who had the right attitude toward life and a sincere intention to try to communicate some of that, despite his obvious insanity and various ethical failings.

>> No.14018322

>>14018291
Fully agree. But there's a difference in his materials. His books are rather unchecked stuff typed down as it came to him. His lectures are often just Uncle Ron telling stories, sometimes just made up on the fly. But his business literature is different.

>> No.14018323
File: 179 KB, 1000x1173, 1555772324379.jpg [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google]

I find it funny how the majority of people who are "smart" (phds, maths, stem, etc) think psycological manipulation is not real.

Every CEO/Chariman etc of a >100M turnover company i ever met knows more about this stuff that any traditional book smarts.

My granddad taught me this stuff and it's the one thing that keeps me on track and is useful EVERYWHERE.

Once you realise most people get their opinions by only accepting what they think the majority believes then there's no going back. It opens the floodgates.

Anyway most the good books are out of print but maybe read some edward bernays if you want a brief intro easy read.

peace out retards stay dulled

>> No.14018356
File: 590 KB, 2574x3000, carnegie.jpg [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google]

Idk, Think and Grow Rich talked about a lot of mental/psychological stuff. Talked about how creativity can be either (business example) 2 different industries put together to get some new idea, this is like fake creativity or so, but then there is like this more Nikola Tesla kind of creativity where you learn as much as you can about something and then you just sit and let your subconscious parse through all the data and find solutions. That's the "real" creativity. Then it talked about how "thoughts" are the basis. For example first thing is a thought, then comes the action, then the habit and the habit defines you. Also it talked about how thoughts can "manifest" if they are combined with faith or strong belief. Basically, if you keep having a business thought and you think about it everyday and you try to create a step by step plan, then eventually you will take action since the thought of it and the belief that it works is so great that you just have to do it. It's like this fire or this energy that almost every super succesful person has. Athletes Ronaldo, Messi they just trained and trained and couldn't bare the thought of losing or being second. Then you have business people like Steve Jobs and Bill Gates who were so obsessed with what they were doing. Elon Musk is a good example as well whether you like him or not.

>> No.14018464
File: 178 KB, 1800x2518, 71aG+xDKSYL.jpg [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google]

Read this recently. Some of the 'laws' and their examples and interpretations seemed either exaggerated or just plain bullshit. Having that said I thought there was a lot of good insights into how a lot of influential people think and act even if they don't do it consciously.

>> No.14018495

>>14016714

Just read Pimp by Iceberg Slim, all your answers are in there

>> No.14018528

>>14018464
anything mainstream in my opinion is just written to sell and anything pumped by the main broadsheets or establishment publications like economist etc vanity fair etc is just distraction and bullshit.

>> No.14018548

>>14018464
Yea this one is a good one. Haven't actually read all of it.

>> No.14019131

Bump for interest in more books that have had a big impact on anyone

>> No.14019336

>>14019131
I accidentally found "The Compound Interest." Cozy read over three evenings. Interesting perspective on long-time priorities and following through.

Another class of books is "Exponential Organizations," "Bold," and "Zero to One." A wild mixture of startup mindset and utilization of emerging technologies with either exponential decay in price, energy use, failure rate etc. or exponential growth in capability and reach.
It's usually assumed that the read has some fundamental business knowledge to appreciate the ideas/insights.

>> No.14019405

>>14019336
And more:

>Startup Playbook
https://playbook.samaltman.com/

>Book summaries
https://sivers.org/book

>> No.14019410

>>14019336
Thanks. One book I've read recently that has been really useful is Hannah Arendt's "The Human Condition". I found the idea of dividing human work-like activities into subcategories of "labor", "work", and "action" really useful for getting over a sense of being completely overwhelmed by an endless future of escalating work commitments. I won't try to explain what she meant by these here, but have a look at the book.

>> No.14019430

>>14016854
That was an extremely based answer. Thank you

>> No.14019496

>>14017690
Everybody listen to this guy

A good book? Unironicaly Foundations of Economics for uni, which author doesn't matter. Don't just read through, do the exercises so you can apply the material later on. From pop culture - Freakonomics is good, Zero to One is alright. For starting an ebusiness - "Hello, Startup"

>> No.14019542

Any books to stop being an autistic retard who can't change his self-destructive habits?

>> No.14019557
File: 45 KB, 326x500, 51JbTwfDRWL.jpg [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google]

>>14019542
Only if you're open to introspection

>> No.14019574

>>14019542
Google for Arduino + shock collar + DIY

Otherwise try "Atomic Habits" or "Compound Effect."

>> No.14019583

>>14019557
I am, but am I supposed to believe that book is pertinent to my predicament?

>> No.14019621

>>14019574
Honestly the shock collar things seems interesting, but would it have a greater effect than just a rubber band on my wrist for a quick sharp pain?

>> No.14019636

>>14019583
>am I supposed to believe
How old are are you and more importantly how cynical would you say you are? Because there really is a point of no return in life after which you won't be genuinely able to change your habbits and will only hurt yourself trying.

>> No.14019652

>>14019621
No idea. Try both and report back. I think there actually exists a behavior change wristband that administers small shocks. But I'd only have sexual interest in such things, so I have no useful opinion here.

>> No.14019660

>>14019636
what's the age limit? And no I'm not cynical.

>> No.14019668

>>14016714
lit is my main board. unironically self help/get rich books are memes. the books that have real value are the greeks/romans/19th century lit that teach you about human nature or offer valuable lessons. self help books are snake oil for normies

>> No.14019690

>>14019660
Around thirty more or less for your average sperg. You gotta have a certain amount naivete and hope, like children do, to vastly change your personality (over time).

>> No.14019691

>>14019430
Happy to help
>>14019542
I spent many years as a self-destructive autistic retard, and all I know is ultimately the only way to get out of that is to have something you want more than whatever it is you're getting out of your bad habits, and find a way to do just enough to start experiencing the first bit of the benefits of abandoning your old behaviors and starting some new ones. The critical thing is not to commit yourself to anything, ever. Just do the absolute bare minimum to be able to experience and examine what it's like to change a bit. It snowballs from there in a positive direction, and at that point any of the books in this thread would be fine to go from there depending on what it is you're trying to do.

>> No.14019745

>>14019668
Its not about a specific technique its about the general method. The general method is - good time management skills, the ability to self motivate yourself to plow through boring/shitty stuff, knowing how to cooperate with other people without letting them step over you, negotiation skills, presentation skills. All of this can be learned from self help books, BUT as you correctly stated not from get rich garbage.

>> No.14019779

>>14016854
People who are stupid won't be helped by the books anyway.

>> No.14019828

>>14019691
That actually makes a lot of sense. I'll try to find something that fits that description and see if it helps me.

>> No.14019980

>>14019828
The key thing is that your entire set of mental processes is incapable of generating the thoughts and feelings you'd have as a result of making even small changes. I personally have a big problem with getting myself to sit down and watch a movie or read a book to relax because I'm always thinking about real-world things that interest me and just can't imagine how relaxing and enjoyable it is to get into a story and forget everything else, despite having done so many times even pretty recently. But if I can force myself to just start watching/reading, all those mental processes that were completely inaccessible to me a minute ago start working again. So when you have a lot of bad habits and are constantly feeling bad as a result, you can't even imagine what it's like to be better enough to WANT it properly. The only way to start wanting it enough to actually do something about it is to just experience what it's like, even if you have to force yourself because you don't have the slightest motivation or interest as you are right now.

>> No.14020114
File: 39 KB, 333x500, 51U89SxGp-L.jpg [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google]

>>14016714
read this book if you haven't already. i'm being 100% serious.

>> No.14020167

>>14019745
What are some good books to learn how to cooperate with other people without letting them step over you/negotiating skills?
>pls no bully

>> No.14020180

>>14016873
It's literally a manual on how the human mind works. There is some mumbo jumbo but every book has its weed and its chaff.

>> No.14020255
File: 2.24 MB, 2055x2613, 20190605_231257.jpg [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google]

>>14016714
This book had a big impact on me & might be relevant
>details story of how an illiterate autistic. farm boy managed to find his way to becoming the personal confident of one of history's great men. Remember, Goethe wasn't just an author, poet, scientist, botenist, chemist etc - he was also a state minister for a long time

>> No.14020284

>>14020167
the talmud

>> No.14020474

>>14016714
Those are not the best. Influence by Cialdini, or 48 laws of power are better. Especially Influence. Freud is a jew scammer who plagiarized Empedocles.
Propaganda is good, it's the first book which explained public manipulation.

>> No.14020568

The only self help book I've read is "The Making Of An Expert Engineer". It was okay, if a bit wanky.

>> No.14021458

>>14020114
Just read through it, a lot of silliness but also a lot of really good insight. Thanks for the recommendation