[ 3 / biz / cgl / ck / diy / fa / ic / jp / lit / sci / vr / vt ] [ index / top / reports ] [ become a patron ] [ status ]
2023-11: Warosu is now out of extended maintenance.

/biz/ - Business & Finance

View post   

File: 24 KB, 300x253, image.jpg [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google]
138489 No.138489 [Reply] [Original]

No frugality thread? What the fuck is wrong with you /biz/?

ITT: We discuss the best ways to spend less / have a pissing match over who saves the most money.

>> No.138657

Stop shaving, never give money to gilette ever again. Or switch to much cheaper safety razors.

Crazy idea: make your own coffee at home for 8cents instead of paying $3 at sbux.

>> No.139232

Being frugal is easy - you just need to focus on what you need not on how to get it.

For example, going to work. Many people will tell themselves "I need a car to get to work" but a car is how do you get it, not what you need. What you need is to be at a specific place at a specific time - which can be accomplished by various means.

Same goes with "I need a house" which leads people to buy a house instead of renting it which might be much cheaper (It is in my country)

The same principle can be applied to a lot of areas in life.

>> No.139609

A costco membership will pay for itself a dozen times over in the course of a year. But that's no secret.

>> No.139616

>>139609
This. I save a fuckton of money by shopping at Costco.

>> No.139625

>buy a whole chicken
>use the whole thing
>eat dark meat
>make gravy from the drippings
>make soup from the bones

>> No.139727

>>139232
in the US most houses for rent are ~1k
that's about the same for a mortgage payment and you actually get to own it eventually
pair up with some close friends and they can pay you rent and you pay off the house faster

>> No.139746

>>139609
>>139616
>tfw no costco near me

>> No.139762

>>139616
Theres a local warehouse store cheaper than costco where I live.

I save more money than you... read it and weep.

>> No.139773

>>139609

>tfw only a Sam's club nearby, which is shit
>tfw people shit on Costco because you have to pay a membership fee
>tfw you live with people who think buying bulk food is retarded

;_; I wish there was a glorious Costco near me

>> No.139779

>>139762
Nobody cares about your vague and out of context anecdote.

>> No.139852

>>138489
>live in a cardboard box
>stolen laptop
>"shower" in public bathroooms
>take as many free samples from costco as you can before they kick you out

Living the dream

>> No.139894

>>139762
This...

Find a cash n carry (the place where cornerstore and restaurant owners but stuff)...
http://www.mvrwholesale.com/index.php?id=12

>> No.140090

I spent only $2000 in the last 18 months.

>living at home
>food covered by parents
>student loans not being paid because of government programs
>haven't bought new clothes in 3 years
>only spent money on liquor (the absolute cheapest) and soda/energy drinks (to mix with the liquor)
Also I stopped buying soda, now I just get caffeine pills

I absolutely hate it though. I'm tired of being a leech on my parents. When I join the military I'll continue this lifestyle, but I'll be banking money and repaying my parents for their hospitality (about $6k for room and board, and also another $2k for some loans they took out for me that they've been paying).

>> No.140124

I can't buy food in bulk I will just get fat as shit. I can only keep the bare minimum of food in my apartment if I want to stay in decent shape.

>> No.140699

I want to invest in my own firm but all their funds are actively managed (5-7%) is there any way I can leverage investing in Based VANGUARD ?

>> No.140745

>>140090
Self control is the first step in frugality.

>> No.140919

>>138489
Canned beans, canned tomatoes (real tomatoes are only good for salad and pussy food anyway), potatoes, pasta (from Italian grocers), rice (from Asian grocers), only eat meat on special or "pandemic" meat (note, China is a very long way away) and bulk buy. This will save you quite literally thousands on your food bill.

Don't drive your car if you don't have to. They break down a lot, drain money via mechanics and petrol and in general are at best slightly cheaper than taxis. PT as much as you can, obviously.

Don't drink alcohol unless you're lucky to live in a country where it's cheap. Marijuana is generally cheaper than alcohol and generally feels a lot better as a reward after a long day.

>> No.140942

Make a monthly budget and stick to it. I found that doing this made me a lot less stressed out in general because I had a certain structure in my life.

>> No.141009

>>139727

Doing this got me into a sticky situation once when I lost my job when I was younger.

>> No.141093

>>140090

I wish I could not pay for food. I spend roughly $18 a day on food. Gas is another killer for me. $60-70 a week. Working part-time at $13 an hour for 30 hours a week after taxes I usually pull roughly $550 every two weeks. So less food and gas I have about $150 left over. It's shameful.

>> No.141101

>>141093
>I spend roughly $18 a day on food.
Either a fat cunt or a dumb cunt. You choose.

>> No.141111

>>141101

Or I live in an expensive area where even making home cooked food and bringing out for lunch for school and work equates to the price of fast food.

>> No.141115

>>140919
>Marijuana is generally cheaper than alcohol and generally feels a lot better as a reward after a long day.
Vaporizers make each gram last longer, plus you can make edibles with the remains. Water cure and extract the the remaining goodness into coconut oil and make some edibles. Sell them to friends and you'll have made money by using weed in some instances.

It's a shame so many places do drug tests though.

>> No.141123

>>141093
>I spend roughly $18 a day on food.
Damn.
>Gas is another killer for me. $60-70 a week.
Damn!
>Working part-time at $13 an hour
That's not too bad though-
>30 hours a week
Damn! Anon, how do you live? You need to spend less on food. I'd look for another job if I were you. What is your situation?

>> No.141131

>>141123

Full-time college student in my mid-20s.

>> No.141138

>>141131
How do you spend that much on food though? Wtf are you eating?

>> No.141142

>>141093

Poor anon.

This is what happens when young folks aren't taught home-economics in school. EVERYONE, male and female, should take a class or two in that. All students should be taught some basic "business math" - simple things like how to plan and budget, how to balance your checkbook, how to calculate and understand retail methods and prices, and how to do simple tax forms. Both were invaluable.

We have a generation and a half who have no basic home or financial skills. I feel really bad for you guys.

>> No.141147

>Take home 5 grand a month minimum after taxes, 8 grand maximum
>company pays for flights, lodgings, and provides a meal allowance if lodgings = hotel
>$400/month rent at home
>$40 phone bill
>$20 a day allowance for eating and etc., take it out at the start of the shift, take a fresh $20 every day, have like $100 in change leftover at the end of each shift

I'm essentially living like a hobo to flood my savings and kill my debts as aggressively as possible.

>> No.141150

It's amazing how much money I spend even though I never buy any actual items. It's all just fucking food and Starbucks and gas. So much damn money but I don't really care to change. I'm much more conserved with earning more, don't really see the point in giving up shit I like.

>> No.141151
File: 176 KB, 721x717, catstanza.jpg [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google]

>>141111
D E L U S I O N

>> No.141161

>>141138

Free water, bread, fruit, and protein for dinner and a light protein for lunch. So food is anywhere from $12-$24 a day. I fill up twice a week for gas for driving between school, work, and home.

>>141142
They really should. They'll be in debt otherwise.

I know I spend a lot but you both seem to be under the impression that I'm in some way struggling or upset about my current position.

>> No.141170
File: 2.04 MB, 3458x2600, 4chanbattlestation.jpg [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google]

/thread

>> No.141172

>>141161
You food budget makes no sense.

>> No.141174

I spend probably like 12 bucks on food every day. I only eat two meals so that helps.

>> No.141177

>>140090
>haven't bought new clothes in 3 years

That's nothing, I haven't bought new clothes since 2003, I didn't grew up much so they still fit (except underwear, that shit doesn't lasts much).

>> No.141222

I eat roughly 4000 calories a day to maintain weight at 145 pounds. This has been consistent over the past 7 years.

>> No.141233

>>141222

Thank god for your genetics and throw in some ice cream before bed to bulk up a little.

>> No.141235

>>141222
Jesus how is your maintenance level that high?

>> No.141239

>>141170
"son, you're 34 years old, you need to move out of my fucking basement."

"can i move in to the shed?"

>> No.141238

>>141222
How?

>> No.141242

>>141177
Just buy some new underwear man, there's a limit to what you can make last.

>> No.141243

>>141115
>Vaporizers make each gram last longer
Yeah.

I can make a gram last about a week with a good vape, that's 10 dollars a week if you're buying it by the half ounce. Considering a 6 pack is easily over 10 dollars and a slab is up to 40 here, it's not a bad deal.

>> No.141252

Never pay by card. When I went back to paying with cash I saved a fuck tonne. I thino the act of handing over the notes makes you less willing to part with your money.

>> No.141264

>>141233
>>141235

At $18 a day I can afford that on my salary, much more though and it starts to get uncomfortable. I'm budgeted around that $18 average dollar value.

>>141238

Hell if I know, I'm not a doctor.

>> No.141324

>>139232
Buying a house is better in the long term.

>> No.141477

Although it's more dangerous, carry cash to help you budget your spending. It's easier to see those dollars physically leaving your wallet than it is to make note of them leaving your bank account after every swipe.

>> No.141529

>>141161
>Free water, bread, fruit, and protein for dinner and a light protein for lunch. So food is anywhere from $12-$24 a day. I fill up twice a week for gas for driving between school, work, and home.

For fuck's sake, I live in Australia where food is exorbitantly expensive and I don't spend anywhere near that. I don't know how you could.

I buy cans of Tuna when they're on special for $1 each, Chicken breast in bulk at $12 a kg, Lean beef mince at $10 a kg. I spend around $120 a month on meat and buy fresh vegetables, bread and milk every week. I also keep a shitload of spices, marinades and sauces in the house so my food is never boring. I eat like a king, I stay fit and I do it for less than $10 a day. You need to learn to budget. $24 a day on food when you make $390 a week is just stupid.

>> No.141538

>>141161
>twice a week for gas
Unless you live +30 miles from school, you should look into a new car possibly.

>> No.141555

>>139232
so youd rather throw your money down the drain instead of investing in real estate.

cool.

>> No.141569

>>141222
That doesn't make sense. If you're eating 4000 calories just to maintain a bodyweight of 65kg you would need to be doing some incredible workouts. I'm 6'2, 211lbs and maintenance is approximately 2700 calories a week.

>> No.141579
File: 53 KB, 450x300, go_open.jpg [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google]

No love for the GO? Crazy-ass test market and clearance food for 1/4 the price of your typical Safeway.

>> No.141597

>>138657
Or use your razor multiple times. Make sure that shit is FUCKING DRY after you finish shaving.

>> No.141610

>>141597
Clean shaven is out. Beards and stubble are in. That's why Shick and Gilette are experiencing unprecedented drops in revenue. I bought a stubble trimmer and love the thing. Can't remember the last time I bought razor blades.

>> No.141612
File: 13 KB, 215x215, Luncheon Meat.jpg [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google]

This is 1.80 a can or so and is pork with a total of 42 grams of protein. It's pretty good too, I fry and egg, this and put some cheese on top for an easy filling meal

>> No.141613

So I recently went to a doctor to get my skin checked out and get some pills for it. $100 visit. They also said before they'll write me up for some pills I'll need to get a blood test done. That's another $50.

3 weeks pass and haven't heard a word from them, drove to their office and turned out the doctor that saw me no longer works there so my shit has just been sitting there untouched.

They got another doctor go look at my blood test and it showed a high level of blood cells because I got the flu a few weeks back. They didn't warn me not to take the blood test if I was sick. Now they're asking me to get another blood test done.

What the fuck. Do I have grounds to file a credit card dispute with those fuckers? Should I do it? It's only $100 and I know those fuckers are relentless at collecting debt and I don't want my credit history ruined for disputing a charge.

>> No.141630

My food costs are 2-3 dollars a day.

I am a jew god, and very unhealthy.

>> No.141660

>>141222
You have a fucking tapeworm. Go see a doctor.

Also, I seriously doubt you're counting your calories properly.

>> No.141771

>>141579
The only issues I have with these places is its a lot of almost bad frozen or canned food so the food is technically safe, but the flavor is off. Also, Im not a snob by any means but I cant make a meal out of processed food from a box very often. Produce and meat from cheap places scares the shitut of me. So I end up buying a few lunch items maybe, and like rice or a cereal brand with a while before it goes stale. Ultimately I save my money by making my own food because you get more value for your dollar if you do it right, and its more enjoyable.

Does anyone use coupons?

>> No.141794

>>141610
I have a choice between shaving, or wearing a beard net.

Fuck the beard net.

>inb4 poorfag mcworker, you've never worked in semiconductor manufacturing.

>> No.141827

>>141794
Indeed. I tried out not shaving once but beard nets are like itchy hellfire

>> No.141846

I have multiple cc's that have various bonus categories, so I always make sure to maximize cc bonuses, and combine them with cashback portals online, as well as coupon codes, store coupons, and the retailers rewards program.
I'm thinking about making a spreadsheet so I can keep track of which ones to use when.
I even signed up for a busniness cc even though I don't have my own business so I can get 5% cashback on "office supplies" I also have a rewards checking account that pays 3% interest but has some hoops to jump through like 12 credit transactions per month so I use that for small transactions and float as much money on credit as I can on 0% even though I have enough to pay it all off

>> No.141844

French fag here.
Shopping mostly at Lidl' (german wallmart i guess)
Pasta 500g 0.37€
24 eggs for around 1.50€
Water.
Some fish for around 5€ / 1000g, some meat, and olive oil.

Since i'm quite fat, i lost quite alot and saved quite money

Must be around 1€ per meal i guess; twice a day

>> No.141849

French fag here.
Shopping mostly at Lidl' (german wallmart i guess)
Pasta 500g 0.37€
24 eggs for around 1.50€
Water.
Some fish for around 5€ / 1000g, some meat, and olive oil.

Since i'm quite fat, i lost quite alot and saved quite money

Must be around 1€ per meal i guess; twice a day.

I was thinking about like, buying huge quantites online, but i dont know if this could be worth.

>> No.141853

Wut. Like "Captcha error", but still two-posts.
Sorry for that

>> No.141856

>>141849
we have aldi in the u.s., they are small stores that sell generic of everything and cut costs where ever possible like haveing coin release shopping carts (not common in the us) so they don't have to employ a cart pusher

>> No.141902

>>138489
Three words: Lidl and Aldi

>> No.141920

my wife clips coupons.

I help her with this. And it's a massive pain in the ass. The clipping, the organizing, the scheduling and coordinating of our shopping trips, the sheer length of the shopping trip.

But she ends up saving about 40-60% on groceries. Plus, random freebies. Free toothpaste. Free razors. Free olive oil. Brand name stuff too

She has a huge 3-ring binder, the thing is massive. It's full of these transparent card holders. She goes to baseball trading card stores and uses those to store her coupons.

The best I've ever seen was a 72% savings on the grocery bill. Original bill was just a shave under $100, we ended up paying about $25.

Typically though, we get preliminary bills of $300 and end up paying about $140-180 when all's said and done.

>> No.141934

>>140090

Everyone's rich when they still live at home anon.

>> No.142009

everyone is losing their shit about someone spending $18 on food a day.

Nigga I spend at least $25 on lunch a day.

mind you everything is overpriced in sydney

>> No.142130
File: 44 KB, 316x300, costco_2[1].jpg [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google]

>>139616

>> No.142171

>>141529

You on the east coast? Adelaidefag here; you can find chicken breast at $10/kg if you're looking for it (ie avoid supermarkets).

Anyway, as an Ausfag you really should eat kangaroo; about $5/kg, 26% protein and no fat.

One tip I also learnt back from my long-term unemployed days is that stock cubes are a $1/wk godsend when your diet consists of rice.

>> No.142177

>>142009
Pack your fucking lunch.

>> No.142237

>>142009
I live in Sydney too faggot and pack my lunch everyday like >>142177

or at least if you insist of eating out go to those chinese places thats only about $10-12 per meal

>> No.142275

>>141920

Coupon-clipping wives are god-tier at saving money. I honestly have no idea how they do it.

>this is why GRPN will fail

>> No.142276

>>139232
In my country buying is much better. Just make sure you don't get fooled by a cheap price and then the govt tells you you don't own the land, just the house, so you have to pay them monthly to live on their land. So basically you pay mortgage AND rent. I don't know why some people even buy that shit, but they do.

>> No.142296

>>142276
which country is this?

>> No.142310

>>141222

He probably means kiloujoules.

>> No.142321

this thread makes me realise how much i'm spending. Fuck. I feel like a dumbass.

>> No.142322

>>142171
>You on the east coast? Adelaidefag here; you can find chicken breast at $10/kg if you're looking for it (ie avoid supermarkets).

Yup, Melbournefag. Chicken breast is only $2 more a kg from Coles and the quality is actually very good. I know this is a frugality thread but I'll but $2 isn't the end of the world.

>Anyway, as an Ausfag you really should eat kangaroo; about $5/kg, 26% protein and no fat.

It's a very lean and tasty meat (provided it's not overcooked in which it's terrible) but nowhere near me does Kangaroo for $5 a kg. That is extremely cheap and if it were similarly priced around here I would buy it more often. It's usually upwards of $15+ a kg here. Not sure why it's so much cheaper in SA.

>> No.142325

>>142321

It'll be worth if you start cutting back.

>> No.142334

not sure if any college fags but theres so much room to save money i see getting wasted. scholarships for EVERYTHING exist. oh you have brown skin? scholarship. you have a single parent? scholarship. you broke your wrist in 6th grade? scholarship. dig em up and apply. also fuck textbooks, you can torrent almost anything online, or just borrow from a friend. same thing for productivity software. fuck a mealplan, you can eat for less than $2 a day with the cheap standbys like ramen/egg or beans/rice with a multivitamin bolster. public transport up the ass. free haircuts from beautician students. free living sundries from the commons. if you do have a mealplan, get a cheap one and eat 1 meal a day. before you leave make a sandwhich or three and stash it. you need to wash clothes much less frequently than you think, i almost never wash jeans, and everything else gets at least two wears, sometimes more. fuck shampoo, its actually better not to use it (google no-poo). thrift clothing and learn to sew.

shit man theres no excuse to be in debt for the rest of your life.

>> No.142353

>>141222
>4000 calories a day to maintain weight at 145 pounds
Cystic Fibrosis?

>> No.142356

>>141222
Same, sort of. I had to eat 4.5k/day to maintain 160 at 5'8. 7-10%bf. I work 10hr days at a warehouse, which is like 5hr of cardio a day. +working out 5days a week.
>ikdfb

>> No.142407

>>141920

sounds autistic

>> No.142548

>>141844
tu vie en alsace-lorraine?

>> No.142886

>>142407
srsly, imagine checking out and having a coupon for almost every item, literally everyone in the store would hate you

>> No.142950

>>141093
>$18 a day on food
Learn to cook and you'll be eating $10 or less a day. This isn't a big issue since food quality is more important than price.

>$70 on gas
damn motherfucker, how far do you drive? What is your MPG?

>> No.142964

>>141093
you need to get your mommy to make you a nice lunch anon! 18$ a day for food is crazy XDDDDD

tell your mommy that you are too autistic to buy lunch meat, as well as bread so you need her help!!!!!!!!!

tell your mommy thank you for not charging rent too. tell your mommy you love her, sexually.

>> No.143086

>>139625
I'd rather lick my own arse than drink bone soup

>> No.143093

>>143086
LEL DO YOU EVEN MAKE STOCK. LOOK AT THIS FAGGOT. look at him

>> No.143172

>>141856
>a cart pusher
What the fuck is that? Are there people who get paid to push the carts of others in supermarkets in the u.s.?

>> No.143207

>>143172
No no. Cart pushers go around the parking lot and collect the carts people leave out there.

>> No.143231

>>141856
lel, in my country the coin worth 0.3EURis same size just a little thicker as a 0.005EUR coin.

So the shops have those carts, but someone still has to push them.

>> No.143339

>>142886
> everyone in the store will hate you

I'm the guy with the coupon clipping wife.
And actually, no.

You shop mid day or late, not right after work. You let the person with a small basket go ahead of you. You tell the person scanning items that you will be using several coupons.

And most importantly, you find a good checker.

My wife bought a book called "Pick Another Line, Sweety" and its all about how to successfully coupon. Not just in terms of technique, but in terms of the social aspect of it.

According to the book - and our own experience - the *BEST* checkers are most of us in this thread. White males, aged 20-35 years old. Regular guys who don't give much of a shit and who just treat their job like a job.

Middle aged white women, according to the book AND my experience, are the worst. They sigh, roll their eyes, and will scrutinize EVERY SINGLE COUPON looking for some flaw. They inherently believe coupons are some means of the customer pulling a fast one, rather than a marketing ploy by the vendor to temporarily boost sales.

Young white dudes will just autonomously scan each coupon and let the computer do the work.

Minorities aren't as mean as middle aged white women, but are prone to make mistakes and get confused. Youngish white dudes know how to either bypass a beeping computer register error, or quickly identify and explain the error.

So step 1 is to find a good checker.

Step 2 is get your shit together. Don't make mistakes that lead to a lot of beeping errors and debates over the validity of the coupon.

And that resolves step 3, the other customers in line behind you. If step 1 and 2 are done correctly, we've found that people go from annoyed to impressed quickly when the total bill starts rapidly dropping from $300+ to just a bit over $100.

They'll even start cheering or clapping a bit. Ask questions about how we do it.

Chat them up, answer questions, give advice, even give away a few coupons that you don't need but they might.

>> No.143454

>>143339
Good info. What are the major sources for the coupons you guys use? What areame of the inside tricks?

>> No.143648 [DELETED] 

>141222

You have a tapeworm.

>> No.143699

>>141222

You have a tapeworm.

>> No.143825

>>141538

My round trip from home to school is about 20 miles and round trip for work is around 36 miles maybe a bit more. Every day of the week I'm driving to one of these places.

>>141569

Other than walking around campus, standing around for work, and having sex with my girlfriend I live a fairly sedentary lifestyle. I don't know either.

>>141660
I can't imagine how that would be the case.

>>142353
Nope.

>>142950
I can cook, it's about to the point where for the time it would take me to shop and cook, it's not worth it over buying cheap fast food.

About 20mpg maybe a bit less in my older Saturn Ion. See round trip info above.

>> No.143864

>>143825
Seriously, if you're actually running through 4,000 calories a day, there is something medically wrong with you.

Seek help. It'll pay for itself in food costs.

>> No.143960

>>143086
might be the stupidest thing i've seen here.

>> No.144029

lets get started:
> shared appartment
> no car, commuting to work with the bike
> no mobile phone

Monthly income: ~1700 €
Monthly expense: < 600 €
Money saved per month: ~1100 €

How am I doing?

>> No.144049

but if everyone is frugal and saves money you'll destroy the economy

>> No.144069

>>144029

very very good, assuming no debt

>> No.144076

>>144049

Keep your Bees out of this, Mandeville.

>> No.144078

>>143454
The Sunday papers come with up to three different inserts

SmartSource
Red Plum
Procter & Gamble

Protip, buy up to 4 Sunday papers. You can use multiples of the same coupon, most of the time. This is where the savings add up.

Protip #2, couponing is trendy now because of that reality show. And people are fucker. So check every paper to see if some asshole stole the coupon inserts - don't just buy the paper

(Plus, the vendors skip major holidays like Christmas, Easter, Labor Day .. they know people will shop regardless.)

Brotip - don't be that fucker who steals the insert. Just buy the damn newspaper please.

Brotip #2 - just because something is on sale and you have lots of coupons is no reason to scoop an entire product off the shelf. Take what you need and leave the rest for the rest of the shoppers.

>> No.144100

>>144029
>not owning a mobile phone

I can't even imagine not having one in this day and age, it's not like they're expensive either.

>> No.144119

>>144100
I could get one from work actually, but I don't see the point in it.
It's not like I have friends anyway.

>> No.144126

>>143339
>will sigh and roll there eyes

There are actually people like this? It's their fucking job, if I was in a situation like that I would complain to the managers. Totally unprofessional.

>> No.144137

>>144049
luckily for us there are plenty of goys playing into the system while we sit back rubbing our hands and counting our shekels

>> No.144161

>>144137
Maybe it's only me, but I think that not giving in to consumerism actually increases quality of life rather than decreases it.

>> No.144173
File: 51 KB, 370x507, 1393439031657.jpg [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google]

>rich dad gives me $3000 a month allowance
>Only buy myself one pair of Gucci jeans a month
>maybe 2 Versace shirts if its on sale

Its not hard, god quit being so pathetic poor plebs

>> No.144169

>>144161
I'd agree, I think purposefully denying yourself things can make you appreciate them a lot more. I've become much more happy with the things I do have without actually becoming less ambitious about my future attempts at wealth, feels good.

>> No.144179

>>143864
Nope, both my husband and I are skinny fucks who eat a lot. Have yearly checkups too, perfectly healthy. Just crazy metabolism.

>> No.144205

>>142296
Funland.

>> No.144222

>>144179
Please listen to us, 4000 calories isn't just "crazy metabolism", metabolism at most makes for an 800 calories or so difference in what you need to eat at maintenance level. You really should see a doctor.

>> No.144298

>>144222
It's also just possible they're overestimating the amount of calories they consume

>> No.144312

>>144173
>buying anything from Versace
Just die.

>> No.144384

>>144298
that's probably a lot more likely, skinny people tend to do that.

>> No.144551

>>144298
>>144384

Back when I had a better full-time job I used to eat a quadruple barbaquoa burrito with everything and extra cheese (no fajitas though) with a large coke and chips and salsa. That's over 2000 calories in one meal. Usually for dinner I'd have some sort of steak based meal, half-chicken meal, or a plate of pasta. The most I ever weighed was 150.

>> No.144554

> tfw picking up needlework so I can fix some stuff myself

>> No.144573

>>144551
I vomited a bit in my mouth just from reading that.

>> No.144590

>>144573

Why? It's delicious.

>> No.144620

>>144551
Well thats about 3000 calories max, so that's nothing particularly abnormal

>> No.144634
File: 148 KB, 625x604, 1367586355383.jpg [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google]

>>143086
hahahahaha everybody point and laugh!

>> No.144638

>>139616
I work at costco and I've noticed a ton of people buy way too much shit. their bill is usually over 200 for a bunch of useless candies and nicknacks they pick up along the way

>> No.144702

>>144049
I'm currently reading Economics in one lesson... and it's pretty fascinating. One of the last chapters touches on the myth of saving being bad for the economy. In fact, according to this book, it's actually GOOD for the economy.

Of course it depends on what kind of "saving" we're talking about here, if you're literally hoarding wads of cash under your mattress, then yeah, in a small way you're hurting the economy by taking that value representation out of circulation. But this is pretty rare. And in most cases of "saving" it has only a temporary negative effect on the economy.

In reality, most people are storing their money in a bank or investing it in some kind of capital... In the former case, (assuming banks are lending the way they're supposed to and not pulling money out of thin air), you're really just indirectly investing in capital, because your money will be loaned out to people so they can buy the capital goods they need (Real Estate, Machinery, etc.). So at worst what saving does, is takes value out of consumer goods, and moves it to capital instead.

Besides the fact that people who save are better prepared for future expenses that might have hurt them (and by extension the economy) if they hadn't been so frugal.

Of course this is assuming a fantasy land where the market is actually free, and there is no inflation.

>> No.144775

steal the coupons from your neighbors flyers, if you do it consistently they wont notice

Learn to maintain your own fucking car
20 shekels for an oil change is not a sale

>> No.144929

Pirate Everything, I only pay for internet. TV is garbage for the mind

Thrift shops for clothing and furniture
Craigslist

Use a reloadable visa instead of Credit Cards, but not always because building credit is a big deal

>> No.145447

>>144775
after buying the oil and filter, you're out just as much money as taking it to the mechanic. Changing your own oil doesn't save you any money at all, and now you've got to dispose of the used oil. Working on your car yourself is great, but oil changes are like a loss leader for the car shops.

>> No.145491

>>141111
You should browse /ck/ for a while. It's easy to make tasty food for dirt cheap once you have the know how and a decent collection of spices.

>had tiny fridge/freezer
>it broke last month
>got a replacement with a decent sized freezer
>always cooking big batches of stuff and freezing it

I have so much food in there it's ridiculous.

>> No.145599

>>145491
would you be willing to post some tips? Obviously I could eat for dirt cheap if I just eat rice all day long, but I want to have a balanced diet. How can I make my food more interesting?

>> No.146114

>>141856

Aldi is German in origin. Most Euros know Aldi as they've spread through Europe and Scandanavia.

I love them for many reasons. Although they carry "generic" most of their products are specifically made for them. for example is you shop at a budget supermarket like Save-a-lot, you get lower quality green beans in the generic can. The food quality may nutritionally be fine, but the beans are uneven shapes or cuts. If you buy the generic in Aldi, they are top quality usually.

Aldi also has 1 or 2 isles in each store with specials which they update weekly. They get the best stuff; special deals from all over the world.

They regularly have products made from them with NO high fructose corn syrup, and little other GMO corn products. Many of their manufacturers use "cane sugar" or organic natural can juice to sweeten. Their product "guarantee" is very old fashioned and honorable, namely if you don't like the product, you can exchange it for a similar product of your liking AND get a refund of your money.

For example: I checked, Butter lettuce (a fragile leaf lettuce, which is greenhouse grown and packed in a plastic clam-shell box to protect it). All lettuces were identical and were priced as follows:

Publix $3.79 (a nice store in the Southern US)
Wal-Mart $2.49
Aldi $1.59

Or how about a pack of 2 beautiful, 5oz filet mignon steaks, the edges wrapped in bacon, and vacuum sealed, for $3.89 during the holidays. that's less than a pound of good ground sirloin.

I love Aldi, you can't find everything there but for basic things, it's great. And no i don''t own stock, or a store, or work there, nor am I a spokesman. I just love them.

>> No.146157

>>138657
>Not just using an electric shaver
They've come a long way. They can get really fucking smooth.
$50 one can last you years. Mine even came with a 2 year warranty.

>> No.146820

>>143086

Dear non-cooking anon, bones are used to make stock all the time. In basic french cooking, the grandfather of most western stocks, uses poor cuts or meat and/or the bones, and a mirepoix, which includes chopped carrots, onions and celery, to flavor the stock. You would be astounded at how many things you eat which have or mimic this basic flavor combo.

Protip: In Cajun cooking, they call it the "trinity" and omit the carrots, adding mild green bell peppers instead.

You've been eating "bone soup" you entire life.

>> No.146883

>>144638
Yeah, that is foolish. I save with Costco on things like chicken, eggs, coffee, stuff that can be frozen, and household products. They are great for small to medium sized businesses and good if you are frugal but some people just get stuff like those big barrels of cheese poofs and 40 packs of Snickers.

>> No.146915

>>144702
It is good in theory but if consumption took a big dip then companies would layoff workers which would then further reduce demand that either needs to be covered by the government or reduced interest rates or else risking a deflationary cycle.

>> No.146922

>>144173
>gucci
>versace
stay plen

>> No.147389

>>138489
>How do I coupon-clipping yandere wife?

>> No.147437

>>146157
I have yet to come across an electric shaver that even comes close to doing as good a job as a high end blade. I use a Wahl trimmer (not an actual shaver) to get off the long stuff, then use a Fusion blade to get it smooth. It helps make the Fusion blades (which even at Costco are still expensive as fuck) last a lot longer. Then every other shave or so I use a blade honer, which also drastically improves the life of the blades.

>> No.148387

>>141093
Wat?

I live in London, one of the most expensive cities in the world. I spend less than $10 on food daily:

- breakfast toast
- lunch fruit
- dinner ramen noodles.

>> No.148667

If you eat something besides rice and beans more than 3 times a week, you are not worthy of being called frugal.

>> No.148794

Yeah, i totally agree on lidl/aldi businesses.
Thanks to them, i can eat decently, and for little money.
I love to buy their ice-tea for instance, like 45% less sugar than a branded ice-tea, 2L, for 0.67€.

Shit's crazy.

>> No.150437

How about dumpster diving?

I don't know about the you guys in the states, but students here in Europe do it all the time.

Most small grocery stores leave their dumpsters unlocked. Just go there later in the evening and pack your bags with free food.
It takes guts to do it the first couple of times, but you're actually doing something good by eating totaly edible food that somehow wasn't suitable for selling.

You can't decide what to get, but most of the time you'll find something pretty good to eat FOR FREE.

Some of the things I found:
- whole cartons of Eggs with maybe one broken egg inside
- all kinds of veggies (fennel, bell peppers, asparagus etc.)
- meat (mostly cold cuts, so no worries) and sometimes fish
- bread (sooo much bread)

>> No.150464

>>138489
if you guys learn how to stop being massive pussies and cook for yourself, you will not only drastically improve your health but save a shit load of money. stop buying $4 coffees and $9 sandwiches and prepare your own fucking food

>chicken breast - $1.99 / lb
>oats - $2.50 / lb
>eggs - $1.00/dozen
>vegetables - fucking pennies
>rice - fucking pennies

i can literally buy a week's worth of groceries for less than $60 and this feeds me 3000 calories a day at a very healthy macronutrient ratio

>> No.150490

>>140090

Lol... so you spent $2000 on cheap liquor and soda in less than two years?

>> No.150498

>>148794
> drinking ice tea
> not tap water or tea

>> No.150506

>>144173
>buying anything but versace boxers
dumb plen

>> No.150536

>>150464
where tf are you buying eggs at a dollar a dozen

>> No.150555

>>138489
The cardboard toilet paper roll can be disassembled and used as toilet paper

>> No.150571

>>141555
>investing in real estate
that's a pretty poor investment most of the time

>> No.150614
File: 23 KB, 500x341, 20050701A.gif [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google]

>>150571
LEL TOP KEK

>> No.150637
File: 74 KB, 821x599, url.jpg [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google]

>>150614
hurr

>> No.150677

>>150637
this guy gets it

owning rental properties is one thing, but sinking money into your own house--most of the time you barely break even or lose money

you buy a house for emotional reasons, not logical

>> No.150688

>>150677

>emotional

More like "actually living" reasons.

>> No.150731

>>150571

2008 is like the only year in the entire history of the united states where real estate didnt appreciate

>> No.150735

>>140919
I live in wisconsin.

For fifteen bucks I can go on a 2 dayish bender for a 30 rack or cheap wine/spirits. For that same fifteen, I can get maybe a blunt or two of weed.

Alcohol is much cheaper for what you get out of it.

>> No.150742

>>150677

>most of the time you barely break even or lose money

Thats not true at all. And even if it were, its better than the guaranteed money pit that is rent.

>> No.150799

>>150437
Now illegal in the UK.

>> No.150903

>>150437
I'm not American, but I read that in the United States store owners, sometimes, bleach the discarded food to avoid it being taken.
>inb4 lies
https://www.google.com/search?q=dumpster+diving+bleach

>> No.151102

>>146915
>or else risking a deflationary cycle
>or else risking cheaper goods and services
Isn't that how the market adjusts for that kind of thing?
If people are saving, it means there's ALREADY a problem in the economy, not that the problem was caused by people saving... Something caused them to tighten up. If this forces layoffs, then labor will become much cheaper, driving down prices of goods and services, and deflating the currency... Which one would speculate would cause people to save EVEN harder (why buy today, when tomorrow is cheaper?)... But the market will reach an equilibrium, and people will start spending again - not to mention the fact that there are basic necessities of life that will always be purchased.

I don't see why government intervention is a good idea, when what you're really asking is for tax payers to ease the pain of market volatility - effectively redistributing the pain.

And wouldn't lowering interest rates be a good thing in this case? Encouraging borrowing, which in theory would be used to stimulate the growth of new businesses, which will in turn create more jobs and so on.

I've never had anyone truly come up with a convincing argument against deflation... Unlike inflation, deflation simply cannot last forever.

>> No.151142

>>148387
Have you ever heard the saying that what you save in food expenses you pay double in medical expenses?

I subscribe to the belief that one should not attempt to save money in the food area of life (within reason). This means, buying healthy foods, which are often (not always) a bit more expensive than buying packaged/preserved shit. If you can get a better deal on healthy foods by all means go for it... But the best investment a person can make is in their health. It's worth a whole hell of a lot more than a few bucks saved here and there.

>> No.151218
File: 955 KB, 500x281, 1382441070603.gif [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google]

>>150637
God damn Ireland wtf were doing?!

>mfw
>based Germany

>> No.151331

>>151218
All the money that entered Ireland in the past went somewhere, and there's only so much you can put into fishing. Real estate (RE) is an excellent absorber for extra money in the economy.
The financial sector apparently discovered this. There are several RE bubbles around the world now. Australia, Brazil, Canada, China, England and probably other countries I don't know of. You can tell it's a damn bubble because financing for homes, with the income levels, goes for periods of 30, 40 years, or even more.

>> No.151373

>>150536
ANSWER ME

>> No.151395

>>151373
Directly from farmers?
Of course, it isn't worth it if your are going to burn much more than this in gas.

>> No.151398

>>151331
What causes the bubble to pop? What causes something to be a bubble rather than a sound investment? Not enough demand?

>> No.151422

>>151398
Eventually, money for new bids runs out.
For example, in the US, the real estate bubble started to lose steam when the crude oil and other commodities prices went crazy. With expensive gas, people on the more distant suburbia couldn't cope with fuel price and started to default on mortgages. Given the size of the derivatives tied to RE, there was no way the bubble would not pop.

>> No.151431

>>141856
>tfw no Aldi in Seattle

>> No.151427

>>151398
Basically, if the price of something goes up too fast, it is a bubble.

>> No.151437

>>151431
> tfw eastern germany and aldi/lidl everywhere

>> No.151453

>>143207
Kek. In the UK our carts are chained together. To release the cart you have to put a pound in a slot. To get your pound back you have to put a chain in.

Problem. Solved.

>> No.151476

>>151453
>2011+2011
>not stealing the carts for profit
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=X95o53Gepmg

it's like you're can't into /biz/

>> No.151479

>>151422
>>151427
How do people get real estate without borrowing money?
I mean if it's a case of bad loans... Then it's all because banks are gambling with money they don't actually have...

>> No.151501

>>151479
The poster child for this is UK.
Lots of foreigners are bidding up prices out of reach to the locals.
Investors often pay in cash for properties.

>> No.151503

>>150799
>Now illegal in the UK.
Truly the country of the free. How dare people use trash! Using trash means they're not spending on new things!

>> No.151521

>>151503
Similar things happen everywhere. I remember reading about a tax in Japan on second hand products, for this very reason, to stimulate (harass) people into buying new products.
But really, Airstrip One has a special place on my heart as hell on Earth. Uncountry doesn't even begin to describe it. Cameras everywhere, etc, is like the evil brother of America, and that's saying something.
My condolences to the Britons. If you can, you should leave the ship before it sinks.

>> No.151535

>>151521
I blame the economists.

>> No.151561

>>151535
If you are talking about new products, yes, the broken window fallacy is a plague, not to mention that if your refrigerator works for 50 years or more, you are not going to replace it any soon.
Regarding the UK, the standard of living was being kept with the North Sea oil revenues. Like a certain Lady would never say, "The trouble with UK is that eventually the North Sea runs out of oil". With the depletion, there is only one way for the economy to go, and that is down.

>> No.151591
File: 103 KB, 640x425, 1393364682236.jpg [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google]

>>141579
BEST STORE EVER. Save some good $

>> No.151657

>homebrew your own wine
>use a thermos flask
>carry lunch with you
>avoid junk food and soda, too expensive
>freeze cooked food and reheat
>pirate your TV shows
>drive the oldest car you can get away with
>learn "eco-driving"
>use skype
>use rechargeable AA/AAA batteries
>leave heat off, wear warmer clothes
>buy secondhand everything
>avoid looking at advertising

>> No.151927

>>150637

are you dumb? That is still a big gain from 91, a house is a much better investment then rent if you plant to live in it 30-40 years

>> No.151981

>>140090
You can buy powdered caffeine that is even cheaper and of higher quality.

>> No.152992

>live with parents
>don't pay for food, internet, tv, power, etc
>no car, just use one of the fleet (family company with a few trucks)
>make $12.50 an hour
>drink beer and play vidja on HD projector after work

I live like a king, but feel like a manchild.

>> No.153039

I collect my sperm and sell it as facial moisturize. I'm not sure if that is being frugal though.

>> No.153048

>>151981
Yeah but it doesnt have alot of caffeine precursorsthat give you the relaxed muscle sensation it kinda is the jittery awake without the pleasent talkative good feeling part.

>> No.153055

>>141138
I'm a /fit/izen and I spend about the same on food. Not that I care much about that. Part of being frugal is knowing when to spend your money.

>> No.153059

When you run out of toothpaste, cut open the tube with a knife. There is plenty more in there in that tube

Learn to enjoy drinking water. An occasional brew or soda is cool, but drink water and drink it straight from the tap. If you live in any normal developed country, that water that comes out of the tap is regulated to ensure that it's clean and not harmful

You want a cool new car? Buy one that is 2 to 3 years old. This means that car has already been depreciated from it's new value, but is still fairly new and reliable and don't have many miles on it

Save up all your coins if you use cash, and either actually use them when paying for stuff, or just roll them up in the tubes and deposit them in the bank. Avoid coinstair and their bullshit 10% or whatever charge

But whatever you do, do NOT be frugal with friends, family, and those you care about. Give generously with them

>> No.153080

>>144049
Go home Keynes.

>> No.153094

>>151102
Government has to figure out a way to make people think inflation and deflation have the same risks attached to them. They destroy the relationship of cause and effect and tell people that if they save money, it would hurt the economy, when the relationship is always the reverse in reality.

>> No.153105

>>150637
There was a massive bubble, that doesn't mean property doesn't intrinsically increase in value over time.

>> No.153108

>>153105
Does the value of property increase ore remain the same in respect to inflation over time?

>> No.153114

>>151535
>>151561
UK is a clusterfuck of terrible economic thought and worse Marxist thought. Thank the Queen they don't intersect all that much or they'd work together to bring the country to its knees. I can see the coal miners protesting for higher pay while they haven't mined a kilogram of coal now.

>> No.153119

>>153108
Slight increase.

>> No.153131

>>148667
You're mistaking frugal for poor.

>> No.153197
File: 10 KB, 299x169, images.jpg [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google]

anyone watch these crazy fuckers? wash towels for toilet paper? wat?

>> No.153222

>>144049
Sorry, but I'd like to retire more than 10 years before the american life expectancy.

>> No.153438
File: 57 KB, 600x349, 1393557886915.jpg [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google]

Frugality is a lifestyle. Being frugal means having a mindset that factors monetary concerns in every decision. It tames your vices.

There are three key factors: 1- house, 2- vices (expensive hobbies), 3-money making.

>1- house
The bigger the house the bigger the costs: electricity bills, MORTGAGE!, local taxes, mainteinance... everything.

I live in a "KEWL" 50m2 apartment with 1 bdr + big main room + kitchen. I have arranged this big main room in such a way that allows me to have another bedroom. I rent the real bedroom to a 22 yo Chinese student. She pays me 200€ for it. That pays for: internet, water, taxes, cellphone, electricity bill (minimum voltage bitches! small apartment!!), heating, community/building, my public transport AND MORE. We do language exchange FOR FREE too.

If I don't marry, I will live here forever. I'm paying 75k€ for it. If I marry, I expect for both of us to pay 150k€ for a 90-100m2 one. I could go cheaper, but that's OK. Anyways, I will pay 75k€ for my housing... forever. The other 75k€ will come from "her". That will be my biggest expense in life. I may sell this apartment (or rent, probably rent it just in case of divorce) to pay for the 50% of the new one.

>2- vices (expensive hobbies)
Instead of going to a gym I have a home pull up bar attached to a door. I put extra weight on me (in arms, legs and back), and lift at home. I have a spinning bike for winter, and jog in the park in spring-summer.
I download videogames for 2 or 3€ instead of the latest games (69€!!). I bought a new laptop... and kept the old one for local lan parties with friends.

>3-money making
Less vices = + studies, + work = $$$!
I make 3k after taxes. Work and study for my 2nd major (law). I save 2k per month. In 3 years, I will save +2500€ per month (housing paid for, forever). In the future I hope to make much more and still not change my lifestyle (I eat out a lot, and travel too. I don't even have more time or know how to expend the money).

>> No.153492

>>153438
Dump the E200 in exchange for sex, and improve your mental health instead of watching every sheckel.

>> No.153509

>>153438

And to finish: consider this... with a similar decent money making and frugal wife, plus a very small increase in my wage (like 1000€ extra... that with a second major + motherfucking 中文 and extra experience)... even while having 2 kids... we would be saving 600.000€ every 10 years. Let's say that we would only dave 500.000€ because we would waste 10.000€ each year in having fun and living like kings...

1Million € in savings (without counting for the biggest increaser: COMPOUND investing) every 10 years. That's almost 1.4 Million dollars every 10 years. Serious money if you don't like to waste it.

>> No.153553

>>150735
That's because with "blunts" you're smoking your entire stash in a single sitting. Start using pipes/bongs or better yet, vaporisers. If you don't mind not being loltotallyblazedmang and just want something for the edge after work, vaporising ~0.1g is very, very pleasant, much more so than having a glass of wine.

>> No.153570

>>141111
Utter bullshit right there. You could eat steak and veggies for every meal for $18 a day if you learned to cook.

>> No.153576

>>153509
good luck on dying a billionaire

>> No.153580

>>150614
> mfw my parents house (purchased in 1985) is now worth 8 times what they paid for it

> mfw my grandma's house (purchased in 1951) is now worth >50 times what they paid for it

>> No.153586

>>141264
http://www.walmart.com/ip/Great-Value-Long-Grain-Enriched-Rice-20-Lb/10315883
You could eat 20lbs of rice and still only hit half your budget every day!

>> No.153592

>>141529
Man where I live chicken regularly goes on sale for $0.99 a lb for bone in and skin on. and <$2 for boneless, skinnless chicken breast.

>> No.153616

>>144179
>Just crazy metabolism.
That is biologically impossible.

Also regular checkups mean nothing, especially when you probably never told your doctor that you hardly move and eat 4000kcal.

>> No.153629

>>142322
Kangaroo in melbourne is imported from SA or NSW since its illegal to sell kangaroo hunted in VIC

>> No.153646

>>150677
Even if you break even you are ahead. Hell a loss would usually put you ahead since you have to compare that to renting the entire time which is a guaranteed loss.

Say you could rent for 400 a month or buy for 500 a month. Add in 100 for taxes and up keep because you suck at buying houses. After 30 years.

The house cost 216k and renting cost 144k. Even if you only get 108k out of the house (ie it lost half its value due to fucking magical fairies or some shit) you still come out ahead over renting since you only lost 108k instead of 144k.

>> No.154045

>>144554
that's called sewing not needlework

>> No.154081

>>153616

>That is biologically impossible

I agree he is probably full of shit but it's not impossible at all. There is no limit to how inefficient his metabolism could be. He might have some kind of legitimate thyroid condition or something , I don't know

>> No.154104

>>138489
>pregame before going out to bars
>buy tobacco from discount stores
>eat mcdonalds instead of sit down restuarant (no tips, cheaper burgers)
>no car, no bike, walking is cheapest
>no internet, that's what free wifi is for
>no phone, pls leave a voicemail on my google voice account
>all clothes from goodwill
>only buy non perishable food (if you're going to eat out, buy mcdonalds, that shit never spoils)
>no tv
>soup kitchens
come at me /biz/b/roz

>> No.154251

>>154104
bars
>not smuggling refills into the bar

tobacco
>even smoking

macky D's
>paying other people to make you subpar burgers instead of using old southern recipes and using the finest ingredients at little difference in cost, not using an excuse to bring your avenger's lunchbox to work

no car? time is money, to be more specific time is something you need to factor in, have a kick scooter, bike and car, just don't use them when there is a better alternative, electric cars might be more cost effective at this point, believe me all the time savers add up, it means you can spend an extra hour researching stocks, you can get more sleep and have an easier time concentrating in class or at work

where do you get your free wifi?

no phone?... you need a phone for work, you don't want to inconvenience important people

>not buying food that boosts your health for a reasonable price
>not flexing
>not moulding yourself to physical and intellectual perfection

no tv, all clothes from goodwill
I approve.

>> No.154369

>>152992
That's because you are a manchild by living at without paying. If you can't move out on your wage at least cover your portion of shit. You have a paycheque, pay your way.

And do the fucking dishes and common laundry even if you pay rent and food bills, that's just common courtesy and respect.

>> No.154403

>>154104
>suggesting people eat mcdonalds
You just lost all credibility

>> No.154409

>>141920
You sound exactly like my friend Rob

>> No.155198

>>141555
throwing your money? the fuck, he needs a place to live. You don't ask people why they're throwing their money away on food aren't you?

>> No.156675

>>153094
That's understandable for the Government to promote that idea... But I CONSTANTLY run into people who trumpet the perils of deflation... Yet when I explain it to ANY laymen, they feel the same way I do - in that deflation isn't really THAT bad of a thing, and no where near on par with inflation. It makes me feel like a laymen because anyone who is learned in economics always spouts the dangers of deflation... so, am I missing something? Or are people just really that unable to think for themselves?

>> No.156718

>>156675
>that deflation isn't really THAT bad of a thing

> nobody buys things anymore because the same money will be more valuable in the future
> no investments
> unemployment
It makes the giant bubble that we call capitalism burst, thats why people fear it

>> No.156805

>>153197
I've always wanted to try a bidet.
Seems like a good investment.
Anyone have experience with these?

>> No.156815
File: 147 KB, 457x457, shadow shaman.png [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google]

H-hey /biz/, how am I doing?

>Live in a boarding house/dorm paid by the government
>The government also pays my education, a degree in Geological engineering
>My parents give me around 60 dollars a month (I live in eastern Yurope, that's a lot here)
>Manage to live off of around 30-35 dollars by only buying potatoes, rice, minced meat and milk
>Whenever I visit my parent's house they load me up with shit and that means I have stuff to eat for at least 2 weeks
>Free wi-fi because it's a college dorm, but I sometimes leech off of a nigger's mobile hotspot when he leaves it on

>I'm a recluse, (LIVING THE DREAM) the only times I leave my house is when I go to courses, jog/sprint, take walks or go to my parent's house
>I reuse my shower water to wash the floors and flush the toilet
>I grow herbs and carrots on the roof of the dorm, as far as I'm aware of, I'm the only one who knows how to get there, so there won't be a niggy to steal my crops
>I only drink tap water
>When flatmates order shit to eat, I say I don't want anything just so I don't pay, but they end up sharing with me either way, be it pizza or something else

My biggest bills are electricity and gas, but I split those up with my flatmates.
I'd say I'm pretty jewish myself, if you guys got any other advice on how to cut even more on the costs, go ahead.

>> No.156820
File: 1.62 MB, 1972x1479, Stone_house_Spain01.jpg [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google]

save and buy some land to make a home out of stone. You'll have to put in the work (or pay mexicans to) but it's inexpensive you'll get such a FAT return. It's my 10 year goal.

>> No.156826

>>156675
deflation essentially means the economy is slowing down and GDP will contract

that and the real value of debt increases which is very bad considering the high levels of household debt

>> No.156836

>>156815
> leeching off your parents
kill yourself

>> No.156839

>>156820
Enjoy those heating costs.

>> No.156844

>>156836
Nah mate, that's something everybody does here. Unless you're a really hot chick, it's almost impossible to find a workplace during college.
Thankfully, I'll be shoving minerals up my anus in around 2 years or so, so I hope I'll be able to repay them shortly.

>> No.156859

>>144173
>gucci
>versace
is your dad a rapper?

>> No.156861

>>156839
There's ways around it.
Why aren't you gonna build a dracula house anon?

>> No.156890

>>156859
His dad is gay.

>> No.156914

>>156820
Have fun playing grabass with the authorities.

>> No.156932

>>156914
explain please

>> No.156946

>>140090
so you feel you ow your parents but you also feel that you need to be told what to do as a career?

I think your parents have controlled everything you do to the extent that you could not have a job with freedom as it would cause you to make your own decisions. They have controlled what you do so much that you are willing to join the army and die for the chance to pay them back thinking it will make you whole enough to exist without them.

I think you need to take that money you saved and invest in a therapist.

>> No.157010

>>156718
See this is the kind of guy I'm talking about right here.
Deflation CAN'T last forever, it will equalize. If there's a bubble it means there is an imbalance in the market, and deflation is part of that adjustment. Any change (good or bad) in the economy will hurt SOMEONE. But what about the people it benefits? Like say, people who live frugally and save money?

> nobody buys things anymore because the same money will be more valuable in the future
Nobody buys luxury items, sure. Their money will be directed to essentials... It's not like people will just stop spending money completely.
> no investments
That's not true though, is it? During a deflationary period, wouldn't interest rates be lowered to entice borrowing?
> unemployment
You mean cheap labor. Assuming an actual free market, people will work for less and less until it's economic for businesses to hire them again. And it's not as bad if the money is gaining purchasing power through deflation, they might still end up with a livable wage.

I mean, am I crazy here? I feel like this is all just pain aversion - like whenever anything happens in the economy someone will be affected negatively by it, even if it is an overall good thing for the economy...

>>156826
>that and the real value of debt increases which is very bad considering the high levels of household debt
Well now this is a legitimate concern. Except that people who borrow and don't save shouldn't be immune from consequences. You borrow money and you're gambling, simple as that. Saving money is the exact opposite. People SHOULD be encouraged to save and discouraged from borrowing/gambling/frivolous spending.

Seriously, am I the crazy one here? Am I just heartless, is that what it is?

I'm relatively new to studying economics but I've always been interested. I just want to understand.

>> No.157053

>>157010
>Nobody buys luxury items, sure
Just reading this thread, I'd say at least 50 % or more of the things the average guy buys today is luxury he doesn't actually need

>wouldn't interest rates be lowered to entice borrowing?
Who cares about interest rates when _the same_ amount of money can buy more things tomorrow than it can today?

>Except that people who borrow and don't save shouldn't be immune from consequences.
But those are the one with power, therefore it isn't happening.

>> No.157168

>>157053
>I'd say at least 50 % or more of the things the average guy buys today is luxury he doesn't actually need
Food is not a luxury. Shelter is arguable, but I'm going to throw it in the not-a-luxury pile also. Once a person satisfies the basic needs, it's natural for them to fulfill higher needs. And as another anon pointed out ITT - time savers like transportation and other economic "luxuries" actually produce more productivity than they consume in cost. I'm not buying this shit that people will all of a sudden stop spending all together, it's simply not possible. People spend less, true.

>the same_ amount of money can buy more things tomorrow than it can today
This kind of mentality always gets thrown around like deflation can last forever. It simply CAN NOT last forever, I mean what's the end game? A single dollar capable of purchasing everything? Get real. Inflation technically can't last forever either, but the end result there is that the currency can't by anything. Any again, this encourages saving, which is a good thing.
What this does is encourage people to save, which is a good thing. People who save, have money when they need money. At what point does someone saving money look at a priced item they want/need and say "I can afford this". Implying that people will continue saving because money is getting more valuable, while ignoring their wants/needs is ignoring the fact that economics isn't JUST about money, it's about value and human action with relation to that value. If I value a brand new car more than 1000$ - I'm going to buy a brand new car, because I can't drive an artificial representation of value.

>But those are the one with power, therefore it isn't happening.
People who borrow are the ones with power? So they wont allow themselves to face the consequences of poor choices? Is this what you're getting at? I believe this is more of a problem with corruption than with economics. That's political theory, I'm interested in economics.

>> No.157257

>>144384
Yep, and fatties inevitably underestimate their caloric intake

>> No.157250

>>157168
> It simply CAN NOT last forever
It can, just the way inflation can. You just have to print money of smaller nominal value.

> People who borrow are the ones with power? So they wont allow themselves to face the consequences of poor choices?
Yes, basically
> governments
> banks
> big companies
Those have the biggest deficits, and would loose big time on a deflation, which is why it isn't happening.

>> No.157282

>>148667
>rice
>not just beans

>> No.157339

>>150735
>wisconsin.
Because its to dame cold to be sober

>> No.157367

>>141111
Where do you live?

>> No.157378
File: 100 KB, 900x675, 1371083195722.jpg [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google]

>>157250
>It can, just the way inflation can. You just have to print money of smaller nominal value.
Ok, I can see that, so the Government (or issuer of money) starts using decimal points in the currency. but if it gets too ridiculous, the people who have money left over from pre-deflation times will have an absurd amount of purchasing power... There comes a point where a person will choose to use that purchasing power, which will in turn start stimulating the economy again... And them dropping that money back into circulation will curb or stop deflation by increasing the money supply... So, I'm afraid I disagree, I don't think it can actually last forever. Hell, think about all the pennies laying around... Imagine, it would be like a new gold rush! People would actually start working to find loose change! haha - but yeah I don't think it could really get that bad, that's like hyper-deflation (which I've never heard anyone talk about)... Which brings up an interested question: there are historical accounts of hyper-inflation happening, but has a hyper-deflation event ever occurred?

>Those have the biggest deficits, and would loose big time on a deflation, which is why it isn't happening.
Again this is treading into /pol/ territory, but isn't that evidence of incompetency/corruption? Doesn't that mean that these institutions should (and probably eventually will) fail? I can see how hyper-deflation would be incredibly detrimental to anyone holding a substantial amount of debt... But don't debt holders still stand to lose in the event of hyper-inflation? Even though their debts are essentially valueless in this scenario, so is their money, so how does that effect them in the long run?

Thanks for helping me come to a better understanding btw.

>> No.157441

>>157378
>but isn't that evidence of incompetency/corruption?
No, it's just how the system works. Capitalism is built uppon growth, and if people start saving because of deflation there is no growth.

> But don't debt holders still stand to lose in the event of hyper-inflation?
Nobody takes debt to then hoard money. The money they lend is used to pay something of value (production materials, real estate etc.), which hold their value. That said, there really isn't any winner in a hyper-inflation, everyone looses, but some more than others.

>> No.157471

>>157378
> but has a hyper-deflation event ever occurred
No, but Japan since the 90s is a good example of what happens during a deflation.

>> No.158022

>>156805
my house has 3 bathrooms.

2 of the toilets have bidets.

I use it because im lazy as fuck.
> shit while mucking around on phone
> give butthole a rinse for about 10 seconds
> wait a few minutes to dry while on phone.
> wipe the rest of the water away with tp paper.

captcha: THE anlysal