[ 3 / biz / cgl / ck / diy / fa / ic / jp / lit / sci / vr / vt ] [ index / top / reports ] [ become a patron ] [ status ]
2023-11: Warosu is now out of extended maintenance.

/biz/ - Business & Finance

View post   

File: 29 KB, 405x478, 1545927847424.png [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google]
13155636 No.13155636 [Reply] [Original]

Explain this retarded fucking meme. I grew up in a shithole and basically no one had a degree, at a good college now and the vast majority of people clearly came from middle class and above families. Most people who left after 3 years (I'm still on) have had no problem getting a good job, and looking at old high school friends in Facebook everyone who didn't go is broke.

Is it literally just pushed by neet dropouts?

>> No.13155663

>>13155636
Those who gets a job in their field after college obviously make more than those without a degree.

The problem is that there are Ivy League graduates working in Starbucks. You might as well save your time and apply to Starbucks while in high school.

Getting a college degree doesn't guarantee a good job. That is the argument against college.

>> No.13155669

>>13155636
Pretty much + spur grapes from dance theory degrees

>> No.13155707

>>13155663
This is so few people.... See the op pic (median is no different). This board seems to act like it's the norm

>> No.13155720

>>13155707
That chart is already 10 years old, and, assuming the x axis indicates age, it goes back 60 years in history. Back then we know that college was beneficial, it still meant something. College these days is bullshit and does not carry the same respect it once did

>> No.13155727

>>13155636
It's a waste of money if you can get a job otherwise. Usually you'll have to differentiate yourself even if you go to college. Doing those types projects on your own puts you in a good spot compared to uneducated people.

The thing is that you can't do that for all degrees and it's more high risk. But if you look at the stats there's like 50% of people who don't work in the field of their degree, so even though it's higher risk to find a job, you will never be in debt. If you can get a job within 1 year of highschool, you're in a better position (work experience), have money and no debt and 1 promotion puts you making the same money as a graduate.
It only works if you start doing it from high school and for degrees that are scams like cs, business, design where the job is different than the degree.

It won't work as a replacement for sucking cock degrees (gender studies) or degrees where practical experience is required (law, medicine, etc.) so it really depends on a lot of things.

With the money people pay for college in the US, you could buy a private tutor for yourself for like 5 years

>> No.13155731

>>13155636
>I grew up in a shithole
>nobody has a degree

That's the point. In places where education is shitty, people with skills (ie. not meme degrees) are very valuable. In western countries where "everybody has the right to go to college" an associate's is the new high school diploma. The degree inflation and standards being lowered is making degrees necessary for even the most shitty desk jockey jobs.
So you either go into a trade and get stuck in one profession for your whole life or play the game that they've made and get a degree so you're not stuck with a McJob. I cant fucking wait for the college bubble to pop.

>> No.13155738
File: 8 KB, 300x270, csu712 (1).gif [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google]

>>13155720
The difference actually used to be far smaller. It's got even bigger in the last 10 years.

You're literally just making things up and not even bothering to check if they're correct.

>> No.13155766

>>13155727
>If you can get a job within 1 year of highschool, you're in a better position (work experience), have money and no debt and 1 promotion puts you making the same money as a graduate.
I graduated valedictorian and would have been struggled to get a decent job. I didn't actually want to go despite having great grades, I just didn't see an alternative. Average students not a chance in a million years.

>> No.13155772

>>13155636
if the people who did finish a degree and got a good job did not go to college, they would have still got a good job. It's just that capable people are pushed into debt so they cannot properly market their skills from the get go.

>> No.13155790

>>13155772
How are you meant to determine intelligence and motivation without it? See >>13155766
I looked to see if it was possible myself and basically everything required one.

>> No.13155799

>>13155636

Muricans will end up fucking up a whole generation with how expensive college is. They end up hating college and even the whole idea of science just because they refuse to let the government pay for college. I don't see nearly as much hate towards colleges/universities in europe.

>Is it literally just pushed by neet dropouts?

Some people are just too stupid for college so some of it is cope and some of it is the fact that academia doesn't teach you how to make money they teach you knowledge in a field/subject and how to become a researcher and understand science, which isn't the same thing as how to pull the maximum amount of money from stupid people which is the main goal of a business.

>> No.13155806

>>13155707
It's the ultimate cope. People who couldn't hack it in college or never went in the first place are angry that their bosses and all their upward mobility requires a degree. Shit I see it in my own home, my mom has 25 years of sales experience but no one will even give her a chance because she doesn't have a degree.

>> No.13156056

>>13155636
Professional degree here (MBA), can confirm I make over 190k / year after taxes. It helped.

>> No.13156299

>>13155731
That's not true. My sister has a meme degree and gets a ton of job offers in the rural town she lives in because no one else has much education, some don't even have GEDs. So she will always have a job in that town because of that. Maybe it won't be the best paid, but she has guaranteed employability because of her degree. All a degree does is show you are dedicated enough to finish something that takes effort and employers respect that. It's a way of proving you can put time into something.

>> No.13156529

>>13155636
It is cope.

>> No.13156554

>>13155799
College isn’t expensive lol. Just finished off at a decent uni for $20k, don’t be fooled betaneet

>> No.13156572

>>13155636
At current rates ~60% of Americans in an annual cohort will attend college. ~30% of Americans in an annual cohort will complete a college degree. The earnings bump associated with college is entirely tied to the sheepskin effect of getting the degree. So this gives us ~30% of an annual cohort that takes on some amount of undischargable college debt but doesn't get the wage benefits attached to college. College is a good deal if you can graduate. It's a horrible deal if you stick it out for three years & then flunk out.

>> No.13156606
File: 261 KB, 888x894, 1549775995896.jpg [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google]

>>13155636
No college is a waste of money at todays prices.

The chart in your pic is implying that the causal factor of high income is education, but its actually intelligence. More intelligent people just are more likely to go to college or university etc.

If you're driven and intelligent you can make lots of money regardless of your level of formal education, the problem with the NEETS on here is they may be intelligent but they have absolutely no drive whatsoever.

The way to real wealth is starting your own business, not wageslaving for some top 4 firm after graduating

>> No.13156621

>>13156606
It's not intelligence faggot it's wealth. We live in an oligarchy.

>> No.13156930

>>13156621
>t. Lazy NEET

>> No.13157170

>>13155636
What will a college degree get you that lying about a college degree won't get you? College does not prepare you for working a real job, real jobs will train you when you start.

I went into college thinking I'd get valuable skills vital to my chosen field.
Did I get valuable skills? Yes.
Are those skills vital to my chosen field? Hell-fucking-no. They're utterly optional and niche, MAYBE they'd get me a promotion or a higher salary in the right circumstances.

80% of employers don't give a single fuck about what classes you took as long as you claim to have a relevant degree on your resume. They aren't gonna ask you about it, they aren't gonna check, you're gonna use only the absolute basics from your degree and they'll teach you everything else.

Why get yourself tens of thousands of dollars in debt when you could get the same job by bullshitting on your resume? yeah a college degree will be useful, but only marginally so and for the cost it is NOT fucking worth it.

I will say not to try this on the huge whole-nation corporations... some of them will blacklist you if they find out you lied. (e.g. AllState, Walmart, big banks like Chase, etc.)

>> No.13157336

>>13156606

>The chart in your pic is implying that the causal factor of high income is education, but its actually intelligence.

>the problem with the NEETS on here is they may be intelligent but they have absolutely no drive whatsoever.

So you're basically claiming that

>income is all about intelligence except it's not

>> No.13157495

>>13157336
Obviously there are other factors, you'd do a multiple regression. I never said it was the only cause I said it was the main one.

>> No.13157593
File: 74 KB, 686x761, consc_income.png [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google]

>>13157495

Is it?

>> No.13158033

>>13155636
correlation != causation
most people that dont go to college are retarded that is why they are broke not because they didn't go

>> No.13158080

>>13155636
'college' is not some one size fits all. Just as you are not 'the average'.

College --> If the degree is something you WANT TO learn about, are reasonable at - and work hard at. It will benefit you TREMENDOUSLY.

Acting as if you might aswell immediately go work in starbucks is just as good is retarded. Although must admit i'm not from the US so not starting out with 200k debt or some bullshit.

For me personally, going to a very renowned degree college - learning incredible things, and especially LEARNING how to LEARN was totally invaluable.

>> No.13159020

>Not just lying about having a degree and bluffing your way into a job position because most employers can't be assed to check

Enjoy your 80k student loan debts. Stay poor.

>> No.13159034

>>13155636
>Is it literally just pushed by neet dropouts?

no

t.welder 500k/yr