[ 3 / biz / cgl / ck / diy / fa / ic / jp / lit / sci / vr / vt ] [ index / top / reports ] [ become a patron ] [ status ]
2023-11: Warosu is now out of extended maintenance.

/biz/ - Business & Finance

View post   

File: 120 KB, 1000x1000, 478.png [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google]
12839789 No.12839789 [Reply] [Original]

I'm a 20 yo uk zoomer just finishing my BSc, having an offer for a very prestigious msc next year so doing that. Overall academic record is exceptional, internships/experience great but not exceptional. I have 40k gbp (30k after MSc), 13 btc and am REALLY starting to want a house, to get married and have children.

My main options are
>try becoming a professor. Dream job but would have to move around until 30 putting off house/marriage/kids which I don't think I could deal with
>move to somewhere like cali in USA and try to work at one of the ultra competitive companies like tesla. Love the idea of this but might just not be good enough.
>become a secondary school teacher, have done volunteer tutoring and enjoyed it but lack of competition + prestige would bug me
>retire (if there's another btc moon mission)

Can someone help me pick?

>> No.12839950

No one?

>> No.12840010

>>12839789
dont retire and neet it up, at least pursue some art or music career with your funds. also don't move to america unless you have a job lined up. teaching is for faggots

>> No.12840016

>>12839789
Could you get your MSc, use that to get a good job, and then just keep an eye out for a professor position? Since it's prestigious, you must have a strong alumni network who can help you. Also keep an eye on literal who community colleges. A lot of the professors there are high school teachers. Anything science related should be easier than humanities or social-sciences; e.g., it's fairly easy to become an accounting professor with a Ph.D in Accountancy, but it's horrendous to become a Political Science professor with a Ph.D in Political Science.

>> No.12840018

>>12839789
>try becoming a professor
No idea what the possibilities are in the UK, but here in North America you've better off not trying. The old meme that baby-boomer professors will all die off / retire and thus lead to a massive demand for PhDs to become tenured professors is well and truly dead by this point. Also, what kind of university did you graduate from? Have a look at the careers of your professors, especially the younger ones, and see if you have a realistic shot.

>move to somewhere like cali in USA and try to work at one of the ultra competitive companies like tesla
If you can get a technology job in California then by all means go for it. But don't actually move there before the job offer.

>become a secondary school teacher
If you teach at a comprehensive in a bad catchment area you will either burn out or commit suicide.

In general, academia is a bad idea regardless of how "prestigious" that MSc is because there's a shortage of jobs at the top. Unless you can identify a clear career path that MSc can give you, I suggest you just find decent work and move up the ranks. Anything else is probably going to be soul-crushing and ultimately unsuccessful.

>> No.12840026

>>12840010
Retire would be the last option, I'm sure it would get boring as fuck.

>also don't move to america unless you have a job lined up.
Do you mean a god-tier job or any? I could very easily get an average white-collar, just not sure about tesla or google tier which is what I'd really want too do.

>> No.12840042

>>12839789
you sound like one of the few zoomers with passion and motivation, I think you could make a difference in a good company and progress well then maybe own company?
don't settle for neet life anon, wageslaving may seem like a fucking chore but a man always needs something to work towards

>> No.12840058

You're getting your BSc at 20? Did you finish high school at 16? I'm 20 and starting college this summer. I guess the UK's system is different.

>> No.12840077

>>12840016
>then just keep an eye out for a professor position?
Appreciate the advice but unfortunately in the uk this is what you've got to do. You've got to aim for prof since the start, although you can bail from the prof route into industry

>finish education 22
>finish phd 25
>approx 2 2 year cuck-contracts in labs
>if you did well in these become a prof

>>12840018
>Also, what kind of university did you graduate from?
Current is top 20%. Next is top 1% (oxbridge).

read the bottom 2 parts and really appreciate the advice but don't have much to add. Thanks and yeah I get becoming a prof is incredibly hard

>> No.12840089

>>12840042
Yeah willing to work very hard, don't have anywhere near nough expertise to start a company in an area I'm interested in yet though

>>12840058
No, 21 is normal uk graduation age and I turn 21 before graduation.

>> No.12840095

>>12840077
Oh, if it's Oxbridge then by all means go for it. Figure out your future path while you're getting your MSc.

>> No.12840159

>>12840089
is that what youd like to do though? I wouldnt recommend moving to the us, also if you want decent progression work wise these days you only get it by side stepping between roles, not staying in the same company
get the experience and the expertise and then start your company, just remember its a fuck ton of work

>> No.12840172

>>12840159
Alright I know I said prof was dream but absolute dream would be ceo of own major company, I just know it's incredibly unrealistic

>I wouldnt recommend moving to the us,
There are no great jobs here. I don't mean this in the typical brainlet "le it's impossible to get a job" but all the very best tech ones seem to be in the usa/california

>> No.12841088

don't become a teacher, that's my only advice. i don't know anyone that is happy they became a teacher.