[ 3 / biz / cgl / ck / diy / fa / ic / jp / lit / sci / vr / vt ] [ index / top / reports ] [ become a patron ] [ status ]
2023-11: Warosu is now out of extended maintenance.

/biz/ - Business & Finance

View post   

File: 356 KB, 769x440, 1543279955284.png [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google]
12600469 No.12600469 [Reply] [Original]

Anyone else been stuck supporting their fuck up parents?
I live with my parents and things are getting bad.
My father had heart problems for years and had to stop working. He's now been told that he is fit enough to work again, and his allowances and aid was stopped.
The problem is he wont believe them. He says he is in pain and can't do anything physical(yet seems unwilling to find work that isn't physical in nature). I believe fully he just needs to try and exercise more and slowly get better. I live healthy and exercise a lot and understand rehab of the body, but he is simply a person who would never walk anywhere, or eat healthy his entire life. He has abused his body with alcohol and cigarettes even to this day because it makes him "happy".

Now I am trying to get him work, but i can only find him something mildly physical. He is not compromising here... instead making demands to lower our expenses irrationally and unsustainable to avoid the obvious solution which is increasing his income.
I have no respect for this man any more and it hurts. My mother also does not try to increase her income more, and she blames it on her life choices and being low skilled.
I feel like I am pretty much trapped... my father increasingly and unashamedly expecting me to support him more and more (i dont make much, im only 24 and trying to get educated). It upsets me as it pretty much reduces my prospects heavily.
I wish i could even move away to a cheaper country and continue my path.. I want to help them but I also know i need to be selfish in the long run. I am inheriting all their awful decisions and trying to break free of the cycle myself at the same time before i willingly let it take hold.

Any advice anons?

>> No.12600492

>>12600469
Leave them. If they need you more than you need the free rent under their roof, you have greater leverage. Tbh, a child supporting its parents during the latter’s prime income earning years is shameful. Leave and never look back; it won’t get better as he gets sicker and older.

>> No.12600514

>>12600492
This degerency.

Anon, you need to be compassionate but firm. Devote only a portion of your income towards helping your father and use the rest on bettering yourself. You need to work on a field that makes money and you can't let your parents sink you down entirely from that goal. In the end it will benefit them more.

>> No.12600525

>>12600469
exit scam now

>> No.12600693

>>12600514

This is what i'm trying to do atm.
I'm trying to learn computer software engineering. I'm getting there, self teaching and getting the odd certification.

of course I am working full time in min wage and also making money trading too, but, its a slow process.

I have stated I will only pay rent as much as is essential as i am trying to better myself and they respect that, but... times are getting though. I'm not budging on it... but i feel like if my parents continue then a point will come where I have no choice or have to leave.

My girlfriend also says I can live with her, but she lives in another country and although it would be a change and freedom here, Obviously my career has not reached a point I can find work elsewhere like this yet.

>> No.12601999
File: 68 KB, 636x781, 1536512074383.jpg [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google]

>>12600469

I'm sorry you're going through this. It sounds like a lot to deal with. I understand the nature of your burden. My dad died before I finished high school and I've basically had to take care of my mom and older brother since. Consider doing what is right for you. You may grow bitter and resentful if you put your own life on hold.

>> No.12602041

>>12600492
Anon, you'd be doing them a favour if you leave. the reason they had you was to continue their biological lineage and they're fucking that up by fucking you over.

>> No.12602105

>>12600469
Buy that old fag some chain link

>> No.12602114

>>12600469
hahahaha based boomer, this is my dream, having kids and then making them take care of me while I laze around all day.

>> No.12602601

>>12600514
Yep. The only thing you should be paying them is rent. Give $400 per month or whatever in cash for rent even if they reject it. Don't give anything else.

>> No.12602625

>>12601999
Checked
Trips speak the truth OP. Sometimes its better to just walk away.