[ 3 / biz / cgl / ck / diy / fa / ic / jp / lit / sci / vr / vt ] [ index / top / reports ] [ become a patron ] [ status ]
2023-11: Warosu is now out of extended maintenance.

/biz/ - Business & Finance

View post   

File: 31 KB, 400x400, T4loHcxO_400x400.jpg [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google]
12427226 No.12427226 [Reply] [Original]

>be me, 20
>second year of four at decent uk university
>fell for the physics meme
>Do quite well, people seem to think I'm quite smart
>Recently realised that being smart basically doesn't mean shit for getting a decent job
>Wanna go into finance, phds and science is a meme

What do /biz/?
Most internships say that I must be in penultimate year to apply (i.e 3rd year not 2nd), but I feel like it's a waste to wait that long to apply.

Do I cold call finance places in my university's city, or with alumni from my uni?

Any advice from older anons would be appreciated, especially those that did STEM and went into finance.

>> No.12427406

>>12427226
>did STEM and went into finance

Oh boy...
Do a bit of accounting, a bit of controlling, learn a coding language (Python or C#) and start applying for entry-positions in business intelligence. With just physics, I cannot imagine you to to be able to produce anything remotely useful within the field of finance with your knowledge from physics.

T. BI-consultant with a degree in finance

>> No.12427421

>>12427226
Apply on your 2nd year
Do NOT listen to them.
And Finance is sadly a meme, along with Engineering.
Just make do with what you have

>> No.12427486 [DELETED] 

>>12427226
Atleast you figured it out early, here's the redpill of our times. We live in an information age, education used to be a scarcity hence you could make a lot of money being educated. But what everyone knows isn't really worth knowing. It's what others don't know where you can make a fortune. So the best thing to do in this time is to become self-educated, explore the parts that aren't explored or atleast not as fequent. In the past people would work hard without making any real progress because of social compartmentalization. Times are different now but people are generally lazy, school doesn't give you a chance to really dream as the path laid out is obvious, there's no suprise in it anymore. So, you find a niche a path unexplored to most and you work with effort to master it. This will be very satisfactory as you will achieve and acomplish things others won't ever really dream about. Money is always a secondary effect of mastering something.

>> No.12427511

>>12427421
How do I make sure I don't get autorejected when I click expected graduation date 2021 on the online forms? I'm currently signed up to do a masters, but I'm not committed to it until the beginning of the next academic year. Conceivably I could put 2020 graduation on the form and if I get the position I could just downgrade to Bsc, but I don't want to be black listed for lying or anything.

>>12427406

Yeah realise it's a big meme. Part of my course involves python and c++ which I suppose is good. I'm doing a finance module next semester. Thanks for the advice.

>>12427486

Yeah, I'm meant to be at a "decent" uni doing a degree that's considered hard, but half the people on my course (possibly including me, I'm not deluded) are pretty braindead. Shows that education is a slight meme.

>> No.12427559

>>12427511
It's not a meme, becoming a doctor isn't something you do by trial and error yourself. It takes someone to really teach you the skill. But most people aren't thinking anymore about what an education means. An education is an investment so it better be worth the risk/reward or be avoided and considered a malinvestment. The boomer generation doesn't understand this great opportunity that is the internet so they force their children into meaningless educations that are only safety-nets, they are comfort zones. But if you want to make money, hard cold cash and live like nobody else is living you have to step out of that comfort zone and that could express itself as dropping out. Important is then that you don't become a lazy cunt.

>> No.12427579

>>12427421
>And Finance is sadly a meme, along with Engineering.
Only, when you expect to be paid average wages right after getting out of uni with just what you learned in the lectures and nothing else. And even then, you can get decent positions, depending on where you apply.

>>12427486
>Money is always a secondary effect of mastering something.
Goes even more for rare combinations of knowledge. And it is actually more easy to achieve than trying to master something.

>> No.12427584

>>12427559
Based, being comfortable kills success and boomers are stuck thinking that only way to be ”successful” is to get education and good wagecuck job

>> No.12427608

>>12427559
>>12427584
I'm fine with stepping out of my comfort zone, I suppose I just don't know where to step. I suppose that is what makes it uncomfortable, the uncertainty.

But I do appreciate that no one really made any real money while working for someone else.

>> No.12427621

>>12427226
When I decided that my degree was a meme (pure math) I was already in my penultimate year and did exactly what you want to do and got a job in finance that I still have to this day.

To be quite honest I suggest you try networking and maybe applying, but be careful because some companies have strict guidelines on re-applying after at least 1-2 years which means that if you fuck up now, you'll be fucking yourself when you get to your 3rd year too.

I'd say maybe even take the time to lean or take some classes. If you want to get into finance in any way there is a lot of shit you don't learn in degrees like ours. The only thing we have going is higher quantitative skills than the usual business guys so you should leverage that to learn their trade better than them so that when you apply you can have a nice interview that really impresses.

>> No.12427631

>>12427584
It used to be, but it's outdated as our society evolved. Education doesn't really mean anything when everyone has the same education and virtually anyone could do the job you're doing and with a growing population and more and more people learning the things that used to be a niche it becomes mainstream and thus worthless. This is why it's so important to work smart, working hard is a poor excuse for people that don't want to step outside their comfort zones and deal with the facts that nobody's going to hand it to them.

>> No.12427633
File: 614 KB, 821x870, 136FC53A-D387-4DF6-A1C6-2D11C91BDF37.png [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google]

>>12427226
Sorry OP but you’re fucked.

Get out of physics while you still can.

>> No.12427640

>>12427226
Risk Management departments usually search math and physics students.

So you should go for that. I am studying for a finance degree and i cannot get into quantitative risk management, because they want math and physics fags.

>> No.12427646

>>12427608
You need to just explore as many things as possible, you're unlikely to realize the thing you want to do and more likely to just stumble into it. But to stumble into what you really enjoy doing means exploring a lot. Cause you don't know, do you?

>> No.12427664

>>12427646
Thanks anon, that's what I'll do

>>12427633
Kek holy shit

>>12427640
Like actuaries and such? I'll check that out.

>>12427621
Okay that makes sense, I'll watch out for the reapplying clauses in the applications.

>> No.12427683

>>12427664
Yes, for example actuaries.
All the math heavy fields in finance want a math or physics degree.

What i find interesting is the pricing of options and other financial instruments. i am taking classes in that with A grades, but still cannot get an intern in that field, because of muuh we want math skillz.
It is pretty easy for myself with medium math skills to do, so you should have no problem doing that when you are good at what you do.

>> No.12427686

>>12427640
>Risk Management departments usually search math and physics students.

I have to correct you a bit on that: they mainly look out for people with a phd in math/physics and at least a bit of experience in similar fields.

It is well paid, but you are lucky to get in with just a Msc. - and you are stuck very fast, simply because most of your collegues will have a phd.

>> No.12427699

>>12427664
tell them about your programming skills in python and c++. almost every quantitative riks management departments wants those programming skills. maybe you should also lie and tell them you know R and Stata. Those are easy to learn if they ever expect you to do anything with it.

>> No.12427707

>>12427686
we were talking about internships and not entry level jobs, right?

>> No.12427708

>>12427226

Fuck the finance mate just follow these physicists: https://www.wired.com/2017/01/move-coders-physicists-will-soon-rule-silicon-valley/

>> No.12427716

>>12427664
you're welcome

>> No.12427749

>>12427708
I'm the math guy working in finance from some posts ago. 50% of my job is doing data analysis and preparing spreadsheets and charts for the people at the top, the other 50% is literally coding.

Even if you want to do programming, don't restrict yourself to silicon valley or consumer applications.

>> No.12427783

>>12427707
Internships are rarely a problem, even with a Bsc. Which is not the problem, they are a good opportunity to network.

But even if an internship lands you a job in these areas, you wont get far, simply because you lack the phd.

>> No.12428577

>>12427406
t. straight consultant

>> No.12428733

>>12427226
College grad here also, from an ivy league. It did SHIT for me. Trades are a legit way to go, can be making 60k+ in a few years, lolz at college grads making 25k a year.

>> No.12428770
File: 75 KB, 286x327, 1541386713617.jpg [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google]

Physiccs = teaching kids physics, doing some research at university, meteorology and such require physics degree too

finance = sales man degree, 0.01% end up trading someone elses money as profession

engineering and programming = souls sucking, most programmers quit quickly too stressful

>> No.12429659

>>12427664
Do not become an actuary unless you're got like an iq around 150 or something. Not because the job is difficult or requires this, but because the exam process is so fucking long and the field is so saturated that frankly you probably won't find a job for a long time, if even at all.

There was 288 ENTRY levels jobs available in the U.S. last I checked a week or so ago. The field is very saturated and unless you have a 3.5+ gpa you won't be competitive. Just forget it if you're sub 3.0.