[ 3 / biz / cgl / ck / diy / fa / ic / jp / lit / sci / vr / vt ] [ index / top / reports ] [ become a patron ] [ status ]
2023-11: Warosu is now out of extended maintenance.

/biz/ - Business & Finance

View post   

File: 547 KB, 635x707, Bateman.jpg [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google]
12322199 No.12322199 [Reply] [Original]

In terms of his financial status. I'm currently in uni and don't know what to major in. Should I major in CS, do a double major in CS and Stats, CS and math, CS and bio, biotech...etc? I want to work for a big tech or investing/insurance company. Basically I want to be that successful office dude that makes it into top of management earning over 200k in his mid-late 20s.

I heard biotech is gonna become big like CS is now but idk. I don't have the money to go to med school so I actually have to major in something useful for my undergraduate.

>> No.12322205

Basically I want to be that successful office dude who is earning around 6 six figures in his early 20s and in his late 20s goes into management earning 200k and upwards

>> No.12322208

>>12322199
>Bateman mode

He was born rich and handed the job through family connections, and all of his co-workers thought he was a weirdo.

>> No.12322223

>>12322208
I know he was a trust fund baby but I want to achieve Bateman's wealth/ financial standing and social status coming from middle/lower middle class

>> No.12322303

Holy shit you're a fucking faggot.

>> No.12322304
File: 431 KB, 459x522, pepe.png [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google]

>>12322303
kek

>> No.12322312

>>12322303
You gotta help me. I want to have a successful job so many mother doesn't always call me a socially inept loser who has no friends and is way too shy. Yeah my mom and dad did call me a loser and said they felt bad for me not having friends. I just want a high paying and prestigious job with the appearance of a high social status

>> No.12322319
File: 62 KB, 500x384, 9A4BE4DF-3C6D-44AA-A20C-D1723FC0D714.jpg [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google]

>>12322199

>> No.12322324

>>12322312
Dude, you're asking us how you can take on 80-100 hour work weeks just so your parents won't think you're a loser. I don't think you realize what it is you're trying to get into.
You can always stop giving a shit about what they think of you and do something actually enjoyable with your life.

>> No.12322358

>>12322324
But I don't care what I think about myself. I'm just desperate to prove that I can rise to the top. I was never seen as the smart sibling, it was always my sister who was the one to make it. Everyone shit talked me, mother,sister and classmates. I just want to make it please. So do I do CS or a double major of CS and something else or biotech?

>> No.12322375

>>12322358
Anon you got bigger problems than how much money you'll make. You can work on getting a high paying job but for fucks sake sort yourself out before you go postal, you sound like Norman Bates not Patrick Bateman.

>> No.12322387

>>12322375
>you sound like Norman Bates not Patrick Bateman.
kek

>> No.12322391

>>12322312

Sorry for calling you a faggot dude.

I feel like if you go down this wealth & status path out of some weird parentally-driven inferiority complex, you'll end up topping yourself.

There are many paths of disconnecting from your parents expectations that don't involve LARPing as Patrick Bateman. The book was a satire, not a model to aspire to.

You should seek introspection. Read some philosophers, speak to a counsellor, do LSD, go on a backpacking trip or something. Not that you have to be a dropout -- earning a good wage is a sensible goal, to support yourself & build a stable financial future.

But judging by your posts you're an emotional mess. The way you write, it's dripping with insecurity. You need to invest in yourself, spiritually, before trying to do whatever it is you think you want to do. I guarantee if you continue down this path you're going to get used and abused by the genuine Patrick Bateman-types that exist in our world.

>> No.12322398

>>12322358
You're such a brainlet if this isn't a larp. You've got like the opposite of self awareness. You don't care about your own happiness? You want to please the expectations of others that barely give a shit? Just stop. The ruthless drive anyone from the lower middle class needs to get into the upper is beyond you - you need to want it for your own sake. And if you did, you'd know how to get there - just go to an ivy league college, major in business and network the shit out of things to get into the right position. Then work your way up, playing byzantine office politics until you reach your goal. That's it. Go nuts.

>> No.12322400

>>12322324
To add on to this, I like working towards a goal. Example of this is lifting. I don't lift for a girlfriend or to obtain a relationship with someone because I'm scared of intimacy with a stranger. I just want to be happy in my own skin which means lots of lean body mass and fairly low BF percent as well as appearing to be more respectable since normies perceive being fit as having discipline and attractive.

So you see the only way I'll feel happy in my own skin if I obtain the goal of appearing to be well off by being:

>Financially successful with prestigious job
>Healthy appearance (fit)

I don't give a shit about having a qt3.14 gf like everyone else on 4chins fantasizes about because I have no reaction or desire to be intimate with a partner because that would require sharing my feeling or revealing my small penor

>> No.12322406

OP is ten years away from becoming this dude:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=IyiDjR2Ayf4

>> No.12322409

>>12322398
I live in a province in Canada and made it into the best uni in the province because quite frankly they're only 2 decent unis in it. The business program in the uni I go to sucks as they don't have many connections compared to a school in a different province (UT). So law/ business is not an option. Many business grads from my uni just work for a bank like TD earning 40-50k

>> No.12322411

>>12322400
This isn't the way it works. If you aren't happy about your body right now, you will never be.
Neurons that fire together, wire together. Spending every day unhappy about where you are right now will wire itself into your brain and become your new default state.

>> No.12322419

>>12322375
He has drive to make a name of himself.
OP, thirst thing you have to do is immunize yourself to jelly wankers like people in this thread.

If you want to be someone like bateman, you'd better steer away from nerd-type subjects like science. They are conterproductive to your goal of being a manager, but not forbidding.

Your best bet would be to not get into a subject, but into the quality of the school. There focus on having connections and get into being social and being comfortable with people enough to influence their actions. This is an often underrated concrete skill.

If we are speaking about raw subjects, I'd go with CS and Biotech. There will be a merging of the two in the not distant future.

>quality of the school > subject studied
>making connections > bookworming > doing nothing = procrastinating = faping your life away in solitude

>> No.12322429

>>12322411
>If you aren't happy about your body right now, you will never be
Learn to recognize jealous people OP, they will say bullshit like this to sabotage you.

Don't give in.

>> No.12322432

>>12322375
I would never go postal because even I feel bad and guilty for things I don't even do. Like one time some guy tried scamming me for my credit card saying things like "oh I can't get home can I just use your credit card so me and my girlfriend have money to go home. I knew it was a scam because I've seen him in the same area everyday trying to scam other people. But even though the story he told is fake I felt bad for him and was sad that he had to resort to this.

tl;dr: I would never go "norman bates" postal cause I'm too scared with hurting others which is the reason I'm scared to drive cars too because I don't accidentally want to hit someone.

>> No.12322442

>>12322429
No, I'm saying by all means work on your goals, but don't think that there is happiness at the end of the tunnel. Happiness is a process of rewiring your mind, not changing your surroundings.

>> No.12322444

>>12322432
just to make it clear oc I didn't fall for the scam

>> No.12322453

>>12322419
My uni apparently has pretty good connections for CS students. So I was thinking that CS and Math would be the best since actuaries make lots of money and thats pretty much like proto-tier Bateman.

>> No.12322460

>tfw scared to progress too early
>would probably be a really good manager but nervous that my inexperience would cost the company money
How do you guys transition into new roles? Is it normal to "learn on the job" or should I know how to do it before I start? I'm a 24 year old engineer applying for roles leading small teams.

>> No.12322468

>>12322400
>giving a shit about normies

You are a normie though. Know why? You live your life to please others. You even lift for the wrong reasons ffs. That means you really want to just follow trends & fulfill a bunch of artificial memes created by the REAL Batemans of the world to control you & make you a good worker drone. Why are you even here? This place exists for those who think so little of others that they'd rather be anonymous & unknown. You'd be better off on Facebook or Reddit with such a crippling need for social approval. That's fine, we need normies (probably, you couldn't have a whole society of autistic NEETs) & I think you'd be much happier. Seriously, go ask Reddit, there'll be some gay "career goals for aspiring corporate drones" subreddit you can probably ask.

>> No.12322492

>>12322468
>This place exists for those who ...
Who want to talk anonymously about business. Any kind of assumptions you have are just projections and proof of lacking of proper human 'theory of mind' including thinking.

Kys

>> No.12322501

>>12322205

That will never happen unless you got a rich daddy or you're Jewish.

>> No.12322505

>>12322460
Read books about the subjects. They are basically one-to-one coaching in text form. That's the best you can do.

>> No.12322514

>>12322409
You're missing the point, so let me be more explicit. You're a peasant - you will NEVER be some Bateman type. Sorry to break it to you, so are most of us. It's just not gonna work that way. You aren't at the right school. You need to bust your ass making the right connections - and even then, since you're obviously a middle-class peasant you probably won't get anywhere. You know why everyone here wants to be self-employed, even if it's just rich from shitcoins? Because that's how you leapfrog all of that & go to the head of the pack. Your way is literally for trust-fund kids from the right families, so if that isn't you just stop. You'll end up as a lower-middle management shitkicker at most.

>> No.12322515

>>12322468
Yeah I kind of have a dilemma. I don't want to please others but I want to please myself by appearing to have "made it" and achieving things that people would consider me uncap able of.

and by pleasing myself I mean being someone who if I saw on the street I would say: " yeah I wish I was like him". So basically to please myself I just want to appear to have made if from surface level (fit and good job) but don't care about what most people consider to pleasing oneself ( a loving relationship).

tl;dr: I want to please myself by appearing to be successful from a surface level

>> No.12322525

>>12322514
there were some who graduated from my uni and then moved to Toronto where all the big firms are. However it is much harder since you're competing with the local grads from a more renowned school. But there's still a chance right?

>> No.12322526

>>12322432
You're never going to make it if you're not willing to risk hitting people with your car.

>> No.12322529

>>12322492
He doesn't want to talk business. He wants to please mummy by fulfilling a bunch of middle class fantasies. He's a normie redditfag, as are you more than likely. Kys for encouraging this kind of cancerous shit.

>> No.12322531

The closer to finance the better

>> No.12322536

>>12322531
I can get into finance with a CS degree right or would a CS and Stats double major be better?

>> No.12322550

>>12322529
He clearly wants to talk business, can't you read you fucking retard?
You sound heavily narcissistic/schizophrenic Those people are brick walls with regards to overcoming over their own biases, even if they hit them in their faces,

>> No.12322559

>>12322432
> I'm too scared with hurting others which is the reason I'm scared to drive cars too because I don't accidentally want to hit someone.

Jesus christ, man im not saying this out of hate right now, but you are freaking pathetic. Something is clearly wrong in your head.

Your ignorance and delusion freaking disgusts me.

>> No.12322569

>>12322559

then whats your advice for me?

and whats wrong with wanting to "make it"?

>> No.12322580

>>12322569
Thats besides that, the way you write just shows your unstable "please guys i want to make my mommy happy"

Your never going to be bateman its not something you can just grow into. A beta can fake being alpha but when he meets a real one, gues what happens

>> No.12322584

>>12322391

I was thinking of meditating so I can more clearly thinks of my goals and focus everything onto them instead of wasting time here or there remembering an instance that angered me or felt insecure.

I don't understand how backpacking or reading philosophers would help achieve my goals though. Honestly I know I'm insecure but I believe I can fix it. If I truly have it all there will be no reason for people do do anything but look up to me which means no further insecurities for me

>> No.12322589

>>12322569
You get complacent retards to try to destroy you because you make them look bad. This is a real issue for ambitions people.
Given you want to go into management, you must learn to deal with this and you will not reach your goal unless you do. The most important subject you must learn is how other people operate.

>> No.12322603
File: 862 KB, 4096x2304, 1533150098735.jpg [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google]

>>12322199
Sounds like you're passionate about making money? I would major in CS (only do one major) and perhaps minor in business if you want to (not mandatory). Then go into fintech (finance technology) somewhere in the NYC area. I heard Amazon's hiring big in that area so you could start there and see where you end up.

>> No.12322609

>>12322589
I've always had trouble with this. Old guys hate being corrected by young guys, and they hate seeing ambition when they either never had any or lost it when they never progressed.

>> No.12322610

>>12322584
You need more confidence. How you acquire it is irrelevant.

>> No.12322615

>>12322603
my school has some connections with amazon and previous CS students have been interns at amazon. Honestly CS is pretty much the best major at my school for getting an internship compared to engineering and business which are rather poor.

I am also wondering why you would say only doing one major or doing CS and a minor in business. Wouldn't doing both CS and Stats be better?

>> No.12322632

>>12322468
You must be feeling very proud of yourself for being able to bully your parents into supporting a worthless sack of shit like you.

>> No.12322637 [DELETED] 

>>12322536
Thinking you shouldn't do CS a major axis of your studies. It creates the type of person you clerly have affinity to, but plies you away from your ultimate goal - management.
I like your idea with being an actuary. Anchor your goals with something concrete, Stats/Math/CS are very abstract.

>> No.12322657
File: 168 KB, 657x527, 1541845177893.png [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google]

>>12322615
Only do one degree and be really good at it (shoot for 4.0 GPA). Minors are optional but not necessary. I would definitely take an upper-division stats class. Having two degrees will dilute it on paper. You're essentially working twice as hard, for half the buck, if you get what I mean. Normie peasants like myself did this and I learned my lesson, don't make the same mistake I did.

For a guy your temperament and drive, I would definitely recommend Amazon. Ideally, go into Fintech since Amazon will be opening a HQ2 office in NYC (Long Island City) very soon. Even if you're not that great with computers, you could switch over to a PM role and get an MBA later on. Getting a CS undergrad will get you that tech foundational cred.

>> No.12322675

>>12322609
Thinking they were ambitions themselves in their youth, but got kicked to the ground by the very same person they've became.
Given you have low-self esteem, be wary of you giving displays of superiority to feel good.

>> No.12322678

>>12322637
should I try to transfer into business faculty instead of science and take some CS or stats are a minor then? @ my school business students have a big reputation but 90% end up with normal jobs despite that faculty being one of the top business schools in my country. However 10% of those students do "make it" and work for big firms earning 200k and over.

Honesty, I believe you're right about CS further creating the type of person I already am. Perhaps I could change it though and become more charismatic even if its just an act. In the past people do say that they can trust me and call me a "chill" person to talk to despite me barely saying anything, barely knowing that person and plus losing my spaghetti on the inside. Another example is that when I was working a part time job, my co workers and boss all really liked me and keep asking if I'll come back even for a day after I quit and ask if I'll come to their party. However, I'm terrified that they won't like me if I go back to working there and that I'll break the "illusion"

>> No.12322694

>>12322199
holy shit lmao. you actually dream of being some office wage cuck. jesus christ.

>> No.12322701

>>12322603
That's a great idea for raw earning. Thinking if OP wants to 'go into high management', he ought to focus on corporate-subject-matter subjects like finance a little bit more - at least on paper.
In general, the more you focus on CS, the more it makes you bad at management.

>> No.12322713

>>12322675
I don't think I do have low self-esteem, I just have high standards.

>> No.12322731

>>12322678
>However 10% of those students do "make it" and work for big firms earning 200k and over.
Guess this would be the choice to do if you want to go to high management. Good luck OP.

>> No.12322738

>>12322701
I still think I need CS it is the faculty which provides the best internships but I am also now maybe switching faculties from science to business

>> No.12322744

>>12322731
ty you and that OP who said fintech I think are my best options rn

>> No.12322746
File: 28 KB, 512x512, 1517643126827.png [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google]

>>12322738
Also OP, go visit https://teamblind.com/ for legit advice

>> No.12322788

>>12322746
ty I'll look into that

>> No.12322876
File: 2.10 MB, 750x1334, 1C7A1812-4219-41FB-8940-17A3D27F8138.png [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google]

Hi lads, I have some choices as what I should major in, Pick one
Finance/Business , Law , Computer science or engineering.
Help

>> No.12322892

>>12322610
So should I just read books or watch clips of people with persuading and charismatic personas and emulate them?

>> No.12323081

>>12322892
Look into PUA/inner game. Focus on applying what they say.

>> No.12323220

Utilize your strengths dumbass, you aren't going to get anywhere just shooting for the things that should give you prestige. You have to make it there in your own way. Also, you really do sound insecure and unstable. I doubt you will achieve your goal until you really figure out who you are and what you want to live for. Work Hard, use your strengths.

>> No.12323243

>>12323220
>until you really figure out who you are
Meaningless drivel. Have a high-end goal and use whatever advice you can get to get there, choosing from it as you see fit.

>> No.12323251

>>12322303
Dose of reality

>> No.12323252

He needs to figure out himself so that he knows he strengths and how to utilize them. If he is a brainlet and he goes into something too difficult for him he is going to crash and burn. I wasn't envisioning any sort of spiritual journey bullshit. He should know himself and his strengths so that he can better choose his goals. Right now being bateman for mommy is horrible.

>> No.12323306

>>12323252
>being bateman for mommy is horrible
The fact that you didn't have to overcome issues like that doesn't mean they just can be skipped by other people.
A hungry person needs to eat, regardless of discouragement of the satiated person, who can't even see why the he is agitated at all and should just get over it.

>> No.12323449

>>12322515
>tl;dr: I want to please myself by appearing to be successful from a surface level

Everyone wants to appear successful, you likely pass by hundreds of these people a day and you barely bat an eyelid, why? Because you are too fixated on your own quest for success, therefore, you should expect others to not care.

>> No.12323483

>>12323449
>surface level success
No such thing. Success is defined as advancement within a hierarchy one found himself in.
People who don't precept any hierarchies are just on top of them, as studies show (according to Peterson), but also makes sense.

>> No.12323619

>>12323483

OP is desiring the illusion of success, not real success because he does not have the adequate behavioral or psychological characteristics to combat the inevitable jealousy that it will create from others that are lesser.

OP obviously has psychological issues that stems from his mother who is likely a control freak. OP needs to understand that people dont respect success, they either want to destroy it or they want to take it from whoever has it.

>> No.12323822

>>12323619
>OP is desiring the illusion of success
>OP needs to understand that people dont respect success
Seems like you want to consider yourself successful, but your definition of it isn't shared by anyone you come into contact with. You consider real, genuine success as fake, act like you make it, and rightfully gather flak for it.
OP is pursuing real, tangible success. All psychological benefits you mention come from being on top of the hierarchy OP wants to climb due to elevated serotonin.

>> No.12324143

Just read the book, but you can never be like that anymore because it isn't the 80s

>> No.12324399

>>12322876
depends. where are you from ?

>> No.12324515

>>12322400
>I have no reaction or desire to be intimate with a partner because that would require sharing my feeling or revealing my small penor

you've got issues and /or probably asian

>> No.12324557

>>12322199
>In terms of his financial status
If you had actually watched the fucking film you would know that his dad is very high up in the company and gave Patrick a job despite him being totally useless by all appearances.
So get a rich dad.

>> No.12324817

>>12322199
Finance
>How money works
>Every small medium and large company needs this
CS
>How technology works
>Every small medium and large company needs this too
Engineering
>How to make shit or design systems
>Everything tangible on Earth needs this

Pick 1 or 2 out of these 3. Otherwise skip college and just teach yourself to code for free.